Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I doesn't have c fuckups with regards to buffers and poo poo unless you put them in an "unsafe" block.

yeah as a managed language it's p much the same as java but with more niceties like functional pointers

but what i'm curious about is how good the sandboxing is, i seem to recall it's pretty granular and let's you control whether an app has permission to access dns, files, env variables, isolated storage, windows message queue, event log, etc etc. so like if you get a third party library you can give it a very limited set of app permissions. since i work on internal enterprisey stuff only and only use oss libraries or stuff i really trust i've never really looked into it in depth

is it as good as advertised? does java have all that? what about other languages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
this bad boy is where u can see the sorts of control you can introduce:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.security.permissions.aspx

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

I think this is the closest analog in Java. Java has a bunch of built in security libraries but I've had to roll my own wrapper around the terrible built in crypto api so that I could read encrypted bits of configuration files (passwords). It'd be nice if the properties class had some support for that built in so that you didn't have to spend an hour or two to follow best practices.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
poo poo security can potentially be bad for our bottom line, you say? oh, you must mean drm

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
if c# had portable windowing like java does I'd be so fuckin happy

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tef posted:

just to say

what is more likely - a man in the middle attack, or the end point loving up their certificates. (

saying ssl settings must always be at the tinfoil level is a bit dumb, because the pain of cert management rarely does anything than generate more work.

now for mobile devices, using shared networks, open wifi, that's a different thing to a bunch of scripts running behind a website.

security seems to be mostly about making things impractical for the developer and hoping it applies to the attacker too.

imo it should be as tinfoil as expected. ex: ssl should require full cert validation by default since thats what 99% of developers are gonna expect. thats why we're getting this "oh, huh. java ssl doesnt do what we all thought by default".

Java has a long history of configurable system parameters that change the internal mechanics, so if you're in dev and want the default security to be in who-cares mode you could have a java.security.ssl.validation=none or something similar that you can stuff into your development profile.

this solution solves the default security being too low and makes it easy for developers to alter the level without having to do it in code.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

yeah as a managed language it's p much the same as java but with more niceties like functional pointers

but what i'm curious about is how good the sandboxing is, i seem to recall it's pretty granular and let's you control whether an app has permission to access dns, files, env variables, isolated storage, windows message queue, event log, etc etc. so like if you get a third party library you can give it a very limited set of app permissions. since i work on internal enterprisey stuff only and only use oss libraries or stuff i really trust i've never really looked into it in depth

is it as good as advertised? does java have all that? what about other languages?

alot of the reason you can do that stuff in c# is because they're windows concepte. a linux doesnt have any of those things, atleast in any standard way, so if you wanted to add them to the jvm you'd have to start making distro specific jvms or make the jvm autoconfigure to specific distros and then ur just getting into a world of hurt.

so they do the most that they can do on all platforms. that said, there are some sandboxing storage concepts that no one uses because java applets are mostly dead. it also has a concept of different permission levels and the ability to get user permission to do things. idk how much those integrate w/ the windows level permissions or if when java gets install it just tells IE "hey turn off ur sandboxing for me. I got this."

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rotor posted:

if c# had portable windowing like java does I'd be so fuckin happy

it does.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MononcQc posted:

if there's data to store, then there's gonna be a crypto debate on how it should be stored, then a debate on how or where it should be stored, and then it will have an ORM debate, and ...

encryption on the transport and either disk (scrub mode) or database level encryption. ez pz.

also never use a orm.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Shaggar posted:

alot of the reason you can do that stuff in c# is because they're windows concepte.

yeah i bet mono doesn't support most of it if at all

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it probably could but its up to the underlying os to support it properly.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Shaggar posted:

it probably could but its up to the underlying os to support it properly.

yeah they barely support it at all, no surprise:

"Code Access Security (CAS) is a new experimental (i.e. unsupported) feature in the Mono 1.2 release. It is complete enough to play with it but should not be used in production (incomplete and unaudited). The security manager is off by default.

There is no planned release date to support CAS in Mono, see roadmap for details. Security efforts are now oriented to support the Silverlight security model in Moonlight."

honestly role access security is way more important anyway, i haven't used CAS in production ever but all i do these days is work on web apps and sql server apps (i.e. medium scale messaging systems)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i was looking at a jnlp file the other day and was like wtf <security><all-permissions/></security> why is that necessary for this lovely app

but apparently thats the level of granularity, all or none

lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Carthag posted:

i was looking at a jnlp file the other day and was like wtf <security><all-permissions/></security> why is that necessary for this lovely app

lol

I haven't done a java for a long time but I'm pretty sure that's not true

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shaggar posted:

it does.

???

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

rotor posted:

I haven't done a java for a long time but I'm pretty sure that's not true

thats what the docs i googled up said but i dont know and theres only really one context i encounter them in so i havent had reason to look into it.

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/javaws/developersguide/syntax.html#security

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

I got worried about this for a moment http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Not-Good-Enough-for-Paul.aspx

But then I read the comments and I felt better. That's not how the internet usually works...

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

~a soft voice whispers in the night~
silverlight.....

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Carthag posted:

lol

there are multiple levels of security you can do w/ java web starts. u need max access for writing files and stuff but they have ones where it doesnt need file access at all. the ones that request all-permissions have to be A) signed B) allowed by the user.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

shaggar'd again :(

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Carthag posted:

thats what the docs i googled up said but i dont know and theres only really one context i encounter them in so i havent had reason to look into it.

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/javaws/developersguide/syntax.html#security

http://lopica.sourceforge.net/ref.html#j2ee-application-client-permissions

i think this just punts to some j2ee monstrosity

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Zombywuf posted:

I got worried about this for a moment http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Not-Good-Enough-for-Paul.aspx

But then I read the comments and I felt better. That's not how the internet usually works...

not a team player.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Zombywuf posted:

anyone who describes anything as "full of fail" is a retarded whiny baby fit only to work the drive thru window at mcdonalds

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

anyone who describes anything as "full of fail" is a retarded whiny baby fit only to work the drive thru window at mcdonalds

or other kinds of windows (microsoft)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

the editor said he cleaned up the language so it prob said something different, besides if excel is really inconsistent like that why accuse the messenger

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

well thats just gross

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

sorry just gotta say it again, that its super gross

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
i can't believe it's taken me this long to stop giving a poo poo about the language and give more poo poo about the ecosystem, the support, and what problem i'm actually trying to loving solve

if the rest of my career involves smacking myself for things that are loving obvious in hindsight i don't know

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

WHOIS John Galt posted:

if the rest of my career involves smacking myself for things that are loving obvious in hindsight i don't know

Part of getting wiser is that you'll just start accepting that you're probably wrong about most things.

mlmp.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

here's a lesson: poo poo is dumb as gently caress, and so are you.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

WHOIS John Galt posted:

i can't believe it's taken me this long to stop giving a poo poo about the language and give more poo poo about the ecosystem, the support, and what problem i'm actually trying to loving solve

the process we know as "growth" is simply the continuous realization that we're wrong.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

knowing yourself without knowing your enemy gives you only half a chance of victory

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Carthag posted:

knowing yourself without knowing your enemy gives you only half a chance of victory
Sun Tzulishous.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Carthag posted:

unless you are your own enemy. which you always are.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

rotor posted:

unless you are your own enemy. which you always are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc5iTNVEOAg

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

WHOIS John Galt posted:

congratulations on understanding that syntax is dwarfed by ecosystem

Your next realisation should be about social problems va technical ones

If it isn't obvious in hindsight, you probably haven't internalized the solution, or understood it

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rotor posted:

the process we know as "growth" is simply the continuous realization that we're wrong.

i could have sworn the more commonly accepted definition is the acquisition of material goods and other forms of wealth.

at least that is how it is in business

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

tef posted:

i could have sworn the more commonly accepted definition is the acquisition of material goods and other forms of wealth.

at least that is how it is in business

if you cant find love, i guess bullshit moneys work as a temporary replacement

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
ah yes, social norms and co-dependence. find meaning in your life by attaching it to other people.

i'm not saying that relationships are useless or bad, but that society dictates your only value (outside of material goods) is finding someone to be jealous and controlling over. the idea that you can only be happy by caging someone else is the toxic part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

dude tef i know this is yospos but you are literally posting that on a friday night...