Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Why is the Tooth Fairy wearing some peacock costume?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why is the Tooth Fairy wearing some peacock costume?
Guillermo del Toro helped make the movie, and he based her off of his Tooth Faeries design from Hellboy 2

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic

GonSmithe posted:

Guillermo del Toro helped make the movie, and he based her off of his Tooth Faeries design from Hellboy 2

What, this?

But I know I've seen it before. Maybe some game?

edit: Some concept art, I guess.

ubergnu fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 26, 2012

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The Easter Bunny isn't a fable at all.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Santa's Naughty and Nice tattoos are hilarious and disturbing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, I actually like that design.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

He also isn't Australian but apparently in this he is.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Tough Russian Santa is the best thing about this movie, at least so far.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Wendell posted:

Tough Russian Santa is the best thing about this movie, at least so far.

It's just a ploy to indoctrinate American kids into believing in Ded Moroz and Snegurochka. :ussr:

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

muscles like this? posted:

Adding to this particular confusion: Supposedly he's a Pwka/Phuca/Pooka in the movie. Which is a whimsical but very wise trickster spirit that often appears in the form of a strange-looking animal -- from Irish folklore.

Whatever, I'll follow William Joyce and Guillermo del Toro wherever their crazy brains want to take us.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Baron von Eevl posted:

Well "The Easter Bunny is more than a co-opted bit of Pagan imagery adopted by Christians to claim credit for a spring fertility festival" didn't fit on the poster.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

This is the antagonist from the film. When I first saw the poster at a distance, I though "When the hell did Twilight Robert Patterson become a so weird?".

And yet, that face looks less like plastic the whole cast from the Twilght poster that was posted in this thread.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

That's not some kind of Avatar spinoff?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Snowy posted:

That's not some kind of Avatar spinoff?

It looks like, if an Avatar hosed a Twilight, this would be their Twivatar gently caress-baby.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

muscles like this? posted:

Maybe because what you think you know about the Easter Bunny... is about to change.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Pesky Splinter posted:

This is the antagonist from the film. When I first saw the poster at a distance, I though "When the hell did Twilight Robert Patterson become a so weird?".

And yet, that face looks less like plastic the whole cast from the Twilght poster that was posted in this thread.

Voldemort's emo kid.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

This is Megamind.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Rahonavis posted:

(On a sadder note, it also made me wish Dreamworks had the stones to make this their first traditional film since "Sinbad". Ah well...)

You're asking a pile of dog crap to produce gold encrusted emeralds to give to your mother.

Dreamworks animation will never make a good film. Based on their history. Even their one film that people say is actually good, How to Train Your Dragon, was still pretty bad, just slightly better than most of their crap.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Nihonniboku posted:

You're asking a pile of dog crap to produce gold encrusted emeralds to give to your mother.

Dreamworks animation will never make a good film. Based on their history. Even their one film that people say is actually good, How to Train Your Dragon, was still pretty bad, just slightly better than most of their crap.

:psyduck:

What the hell are you going on about? Prince of Egypt, Road to El Dorado, Chicken Run, Shrek, Over the Hedge, Kung Fu Panda 1 & 2, Megamind and How to Train Your Dragon are all good movies in-and-of themselves.

How to Train Your Dragon is probably their best, and just because you didn't like it (or anything by Dreamworks, apparently), doesn't mean that "people just say they're good but actually they're bad."

I'm sorry Dreamworks fired you and then killed your dog, but seriously dude.

edit- For content, here's another poo poo-awful Twilight poster:

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 27, 2012

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

GonSmithe posted:

Ahahahahahahaaha. Come on, they cannot be serious. The guys who make those posters must be having the time of their lives.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

GonSmithe posted:

:psyduck:

What the hell are you going on about? Prince of Egypt, Road to El Dorado, Chicken Run, Shrek, Over the Hedge, Kung Fu Panda 1 & 2, Megamind and How to Train Your Dragon are all good movies in-and-of themselves.

How to Train Your Dragon is probably their best, and just because you didn't like it (or anything by Dreamworks, apparently), doesn't mean that "people just say they're good but actually they're bad."

I'm sorry Dreamworks fired you and then killed your dog, but seriously dude.

No, Dreamworks films are made to appeal to the lowest common denominator. See Antz, Shrek 1-4 and its numerous spin-offs, Shark Tale, Madagascar 1-3 and its numerous spin-offs, Bee Movie, Monsters vs Aliens, and your aforementioned Over the Hedge, Kung Fu Panda, Megamind, and How to Train Your Dragon. Their films rely on stunt celebrity casting and quickly dated pop culture references. And, the only connection Chicken Run had to Dreamworks was that they distributed it. It was produced by Aardman studios.

And this cartoon that everybody has seen a dozen times but is still relevant to any discussion about Dreamworks:

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

GonSmithe posted:

Is there somewhere I can buy this poster? I seriously love these dudes and I hope against hope they get a spinoff series somehow.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

General Ironicus posted:

Is there somewhere I can buy this poster? I seriously love these dudes and I hope against hope they get a spinoff series somehow.

It just got revealed today, so I'm sure you'll be able to get it from Hot Topic eventually.

Also, I agree. Michael Sheen hamming it up with Dakotta Fanning being super serious are the best parts of the movies.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
They're just so over it, over everything. When I watched part 1 I couldn't help but imagine those three dudes driving monster trucks through erupting volcanoes while injecting vampire heroin into their eyeballs and they'd still never react with something stronger than a disinterested sigh.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

GonSmithe posted:

The saddest part? My friend dragged me to the second film, and I didn't really realise till after, that these guys were the only ones that acted like proper vampires (drinking human blood, sadists, etc) in the whole film.

That is really loving depressing. But I'm cheered up by how terrible these posters are :unsmith:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

General Ironicus posted:

They're just so over it, over everything. When I watched part 1 I couldn't help but imagine those three dudes driving monster trucks through erupting volcanoes while injecting vampire heroin into their eyeballs and they'd still never react with something stronger than a disinterested sigh.

Froyo. Over it. Other stuff. Over it.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!

GonSmithe posted:

It just got revealed today, so I'm sure you'll be able to get it from Hot Topic eventually.

Also, I agree. Michael Sheen hamming it up with Dakotta Fanning being super serious are the best parts of the movies.

Can't resist chiming in and agreeing, as well. The only frustrating thing about the movies is that they and their fans take it all so seriously. Thing is, they're absolute schlocky camp, and if you embrace how utterly silly it is, they're way more fun than they have any right to be. Michael Sheen obviously has so much fun with his role that it's impossible not to love him and any scene he's in.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Young Freud posted:

That Rise Of The Guardians poster makes me think its for a Squaresoft game. Maybe not quite Final Fantasy, but another one of their IPs.

Gah, you're right. It's really reminding me of a game cover, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Nihonniboku posted:

Their films rely on stunt celebrity casting and quickly dated pop culture references.

Please, tell me the "stunt casting" and "dated pop culture references" in How to Train your Dragon.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Nihonniboku posted:

And this cartoon that everybody has seen a dozen times but is still relevant to any discussion about Dreamworks:

This image needs to be updated for 2012 so the bottom is just the guy saying "It's about these supervillians or monsters, and they do things bad guys don't normally do. And they make this face."

Edit: I pretty much use "Dreamworks" as umbrella term for all non-Pixar animation, even if it's Fox, Warner Bros, or Non-Pixar Disney. It's not unlike how people over 50 sometimes call all CG animation "Pixar" because they can't tell the difference.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 27, 2012

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

So I have a copy of the Jodorowsky's Dune Mondo poster and I was wondering what other people do for framing these things without either a) breaking the bank or b) loving up the poster while still looking decent.

Any suggestions?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

DarkSol posted:

So I have a copy of the Jodorowsky's Dune Mondo poster and I was wondering what other people do for framing these things without either a) breaking the bank or b) loving up the poster while still looking decent.

Any suggestions?

Get a frame from Ikea and don't use any tape on the poster while you frame it. You can use photo corners to position the poster under the mat.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

DarkSol posted:

Any suggestions?

Read the framing corner on expressobeans.com

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Please, tell me the "stunt casting" and "dated pop culture references" in How to Train your Dragon.

I was sincerely trying to think of either for the sake of the question posed, but I can't come up with anything. And because anachronisms have been referred to as pop culture references, I'm just going to put this out there: Anachronisms are not pop culture references.

My problem with Dreamworks is that they feel the need to make a franchise out of everything. It cheapens the work, in my opinion. And that's a shame, because they have produced some quality projects.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Craig Ferguson could arguably be stunt casting, but that's about it.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Young Freud posted:

That Rise Of The Guardians poster makes me think its for a Squaresoft game. Maybe not quite Final Fantasy, but another one of their IPs.

It reminds me of some of the art from later Mana games, but not as overly ornate.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Nihonniboku posted:

I'm too lazy but you could totally reverse that nowadays. Have the upper one be stuff like "A supervillian wins and then realizes how empty life is without a purpose!" and the bottom one be "Uhh...we took the characters from the good movies we made a decade ago, and now they're, like, in spy movies and college movies and stuff...and there's a princess movie, I guess..."

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

While I would argue that Kristen Wiig, who I normally love, brought absolutely nothing to her role, you're right that How to Train Your Dragon did not rely on these elements. Dreamworks seemed to really make an effort to break their usual mold there. My problem with that movie is that as I was watching it, I found it completely predictable, and yet 6 months after watching it, I remember very little about the film. I just thought it was really dull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

While I would argue that Kristen Wiig, who I normally love, brought absolutely nothing to her role, you're right that How to Train Your Dragon did not rely on these elements. Dreamworks seemed to really make an effort to break their usual mold there. My problem with that movie is that as I was watching it, I found it completely predictable, and yet 6 months after watching it, I remember very little about the film. I just thought it was really dull.

Kristen Wiig isn't a draw, though. She's usually the opposite.