Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ZYNGA STOCK CRASHER posted:

i for one like having an easy switch between normal, vibrate, and silence but ya whatevs

kinda gay solution but have silent=no vibratea and just turn down ringer volume when only want vibrate

oh thats right you cant turn it all the way down that isnt an option

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
every thread is mobile thread
every thread is terrible

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Jonny 290 posted:

86% of all human deaths .... dwi

:guinness: :iiaca:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
programming

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

tef posted:

programming

no thanks

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

tef posted:

programming

lmfao

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i was trying to find out how to get search working for chinese and then i hurt a little inside.

human languaes suck. (although hangul is a neat script)

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
中文分词 Chinese Text Segmentation

sports
Sep 1, 2012
han ghoul

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

tef posted:

中文分词 Chinese Text Segmentation Violation

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
i...i just cant see "segmentation" any more without "violation" immediately after

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
goddamn computers

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i hate computers.

mostly I hate having to make computers deal with people. they're so fussy, weird and arbitrary. insisting on leap seconds, time zones, weird calendars, and a whole bunch of legacy crap.

computers talkting to computers on the other hand is relatively straightforward.

i guess i had this childish naïveté, that a computer was a lever big enough to move the world. now I just kinda see it as the product of social factors and legacy compatibility.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

tef posted:

中文分词 Chinese Text Segmentation

http://tatatataa.cn/

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

reminder that Paul Graham is making a programming language ityool2012 with no non-ascii support

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i believe he gave into the whiners and put it in the second version

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i.e removed the ham-fisted hack to convert every string to latin-1, and using the lisp underneath's unicode builtins

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

tef posted:

i hate computers.

mostly I hate having to make computers deal with people. they're so fussy, weird and arbitrary. insisting on leap seconds, time zones, weird calendars, and a whole bunch of legacy crap.

computers talkting to computers on the other hand is relatively straightforward.

i guess i had this childish naïveté, that a computer was a lever big enough to move the world. now I just kinda see it as the product of social factors and legacy compatibility.
You can get a lot of enjoyment out of working with the crazy human requirements if you look at them the right way. While it's a real challenge to fashion an elegant solution to horrifically complicated socially driven requirements figuring out a clean way of handling it is a real treat.

For example, if you think of time stamps as a measurement with a compound unit (milliseconds from the epoch in X time zone regime) a lot of the complexity with DST and time zones cleans itself up.

Leap seconds though, gently caress that noise.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

wins32767 posted:

You can get a lot of enjoyment out of working with the crazy human requirements if you look at them the right way.

don't get me wrong, i'd love to go and spend the next 20-30 years working on a typesetting engine

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

tef posted:

don't get me wrong, i'd love to go and spend the next 20-30 years working on a typesetting engine

Gotta get hired in some megacorp's R&D department then. I knew of some Senior Members of the Technical Staff at IBM when I was an intern there that hadn't worked on anything that a person touched or interacted with in like 25 years.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
hrm if only I could work for somewhere turning out new ideas but not actually putting them into practice, maybe with a valve like structure.

then they could turn a profit from patenting them and suing anyone who actually makes it work in practice.

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

if you want to work on something no-one will use, valve's hiring for linux game development

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

yaoi prophet posted:

reminder that Paul Graham is making a programming language ityool2012 with no non-ascii support

what language is this??

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

tef posted:

so don't do any of this poo poo unless you really really have to. most of the time you don't. (this applies to unicode as a whole)

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

salted hash browns posted:

what language is this??

Arc

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

Tiny Bug Child posted:

so don't do any of this poo poo unless you really really have to. most of the time you don't. (this applies to unicode as a whole)

yawn

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

yaoi prophet posted:

then Paul Graham is a Hero

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

fortran party van

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

fortran party van
mods etc

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

arccrap.com posted:

To get an idea of where we eventually hope to take Arc, see Being Popular and The Hundred-Year Language.

Suffice it to say...

Year 0 [2003]: no-one cares about arc
Year 9 [2012]: no-one cares about arc
Year 100 [2103]: no-one knows what arc is or whether it ever existed

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

rotor posted:

then Paul Graham is a Hero

when Heroes get their way they cause way more collateral damage than Villains

makes you think

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Python's unicode implementation details are actually kind of cool, although one can argue about how good an idea it is to make string ops go through a vtable (it's fine you big baby)

there's three different implementations of 'str' and it uses the implementation with the narrowest fixed-width encoding that can represent all code points in the string

python is still a toy though, static typing rules dynamic typing drools source code navigability ftw

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

python owns; pull new variables out of your rear end in the middle of code supremacy

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i haven't taken a CS lab class in like six months and I'm getting rusty on C++ and I have to take the hardest one coming up. Its so frustrating having to declare iterators and add libraries for basic data structures. suck my dictttt it just works

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Socracheese posted:

python owns; pull new variables out of your rear end in the middle of code supremacy

my aunt perl uses strict and i think it made me a better person
i was rowdy, uncooperative. she got me in line

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

I think of C++ as kung-fu, teaches discipline and its neat and all but in the real world you just drone strike the problem, not defeat it with your finely crafted C++ dragon kick

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Socracheese posted:

C++ dragon kick

mods pls

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im dabbling in old school C now and it's scary? but not scary. but scary. idk any more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

its like, really fast but its a huge pain in the rear end to actually do anything with

oh whats that you want to pay me to write you a webapp? Well let me just throw python in the garbage and write some artisanal handcrafted code.

*includes socket.h*

*dies*