Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Bocc Kob posted:

What is that, like eleven times what TNA PPVs pull in?
Well yeah, but then again one of those is a successful, nationally-touring wrestling company with 40 years of history and the other is TNA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
So not only is the Tokyo Dome show going to be on iPPV... but every New Japan PPV is going to become an iPPV. Next one is 11/11 with Tanahashi vs Takahashi, Nakamura vs Anderson and Okada vs Goto.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

That's great to hear. It'll be nice to be able to see New Japan shows and actually support them.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Cardboard Box posted:

That's great to hear. It'll be nice to be able to see New Japan shows and actually support them.

So long as they leave them up for purchase longer than 3-4 days. I got paid today and would've gotten the last show if it was still up.

Watching a 4-hour wrestling show isn't the kind of thing I'm often in favour of doing at 8am.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Is there any way to get that swank-rear end "Pouring, Flooding, Rolling in the Cash" shirt Gedo has?

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

Suben posted:

Is there any way to get that swank-rear end "Pouring, Flooding, Rolling in the Cash" shirt Gedo has?

It's on the NJPW shop:

http://shop.njpw.co.jp/pcshop/php/goods_detail.php?GNO=13241&CNO=1

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Meltzer gave Tanahashi/Suzuki *****.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

John Cena posted:

I'm honestly surprised he didn't give it 6 after hearing him talk about it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
It's interesting to see that considering I remember when Suzuki was feuding with Tajiri the knock on Suzuki was that he had great charisma and presence but wasn't particularly good in the ring.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
He's pretty good at being a colossal dick in the ring.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

He was booked as a surprise entrant in some Joshi battle royale. It was pretty hilarious.

Suzuki beat the ever living poo poo out of legit kickboxers so I've never really seen him as a bad wrestler per se. Perhaps a bit on the bland side.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

John Cena posted:

More importantly he described the number of buys this got as "game changing" (in terms of japan)

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier
Another IVP Freebie, this week the Best of Harley Race

code:
Harley Race vs. Giant Baba (12/9/1975)
Harley Race vs. Abdullah the Butcher (5/13/1976)
Harley Race vs. Jumbo Tsuruta (6/11/1977)
Harley Race vs. Mil Mascaras (9/12/1980)
Harley Race vs. Ric Flair (5/22/1984)
http://new.ivpvideos2.com/product_info.php?products_id=9373

Related...

apsouthern fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 16, 2012

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Harley Race is a badass. In other news, water is wet.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Boy George and Harley Race.

That just doesn't seem real. It feels like a crossover between Iron Man and My little Pony.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Gonzo McFee posted:

Boy George and Harley Race.

That just doesn't seem real. It feels like a crossover between Iron Man and My little Pony.

Thanks to Bronies, this is probably A Thing. Race and George is infinitely better and less creepy, though.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

MadRhetoric posted:

Thanks to Bronies, this is probably A Thing. Race and George is infinitely better and less creepy, though.

http://i.imgur.com/eBYtB.jpg

In Karl Anderson news, Karl Anderson is awesome. I never realized how great he was until recently.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
The machine gun entrance thing is cheesy but in the best way possible.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Karl Anderson is amazing and probably the most improved wrestler of the last 5 years.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Skinty McEdger posted:

Karl Anderson is amazing and probably the most improved wrestler of the last 5 years.

He's so loving good now I don't even get it.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

He used to just be Large White Guy and now look at him

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Anderson's been great recently, but let's keep in mind that his last two high profile matches have both been against Okada, who is having one of the best years we've seen a wrestler in any country have in quite some time. I haven't seen much else from him besides his old tag team with Giant Bernard. Besides his general awesomeness (which I agree with whole-heartedly) what else of his should I check out? Anything from the G-1 block matches stand out?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Oatgan posted:

He used to just be Large White Guy and now look at him

I mean, he was large white guy in a company full of white guys for one. Also, NJPW has better workers and more importantly they know how to work with him to make him look good.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
His timing is significantly better year over year and he tends to have good to great finishes with everyone these days. The machine gun entrance is a little goofy for my taste but hey I think Davey Richards' entrance and mannerisms are among the very worst in wrestling so...

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

sigmachiev posted:

His timing is significantly better year over year and he tends to have good to great finishes with everyone these days. The machine gun entrance is a little goofy for my taste but hey I think Davey Richards' entrance and mannerisms are among the very worst in wrestling so...

Plus, he's so loving animated in the ring, and I like that.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The best thing about ANderson is the way he hits everything with a snap. His stuff just looks really good, even when he's hitting simple stuff.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Watching some old school FMW. What's the story with all the dudes in gis and stuff? I know the basics are that it was literally Martial Arts wrestling where they'd get the Judo boys and stuff to go with the wrestlers, but any enlightenment would be great.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

That's basically it. They wanted it to look like legit martial arts. So there's a good deal of them in gis. There was a legit sumo in a proper mawashi too, if I remember right.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

LordPants posted:

Watching some old school FMW. What's the story with all the dudes in gis and stuff? I know the basics are that it was literally Martial Arts wrestling where they'd get the Judo boys and stuff to go with the wrestlers, but any enlightenment would be great.

A couple of the guys in gis ended up being the leaders of early Toryumon (aside from Ultimo Dragon) in Masaaki Mochizuki and Takashi Okamura (CEO).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Onita's theory seemed to be that by appealing to as many crowds as possible, he'd draw big crowds, and eventually, that did happen. FMW offered judo, death matches, lucha, old WWF stars, jr.heavyweights, a joshi division headlined by Megami Kudo, and the occasional great feud (Awesome vs Tanaka, Hayabusa vs Mr Gannosuke, Funk vs Onita).

Supposedly, things went to poo poo because Onita was pushed out and Kodo Fuyuki tried to turn it into a more traditional promotion without all the weird poo poo. He didn't realize the weird poo poo made it work, and they eventually ended up deep in debt to the Yakuza. A shame, freakshow promotions are kinda fun when they keep things balanced with good traditional wrestling, which FMW did. I always thought mixing WAR with FMW could have been a great promotion. Tenryu, Onita, Fuyuki, Funk, Foley, on top, with Gannosuke, Ultimo, Hayabusa, Tanaka, and Awesome on the midcard. HELL AND drat YES.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 30, 2012

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Isn't that what happened to HUSTLE? They tried phasing out all the fun stuff and it went under?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Bocc Kob posted:

Isn't that what happened to HUSTLE? They tried phasing out all the fun stuff and it went under?

Pretty much. BTW, anybody with a passing interest in FMW (or 90's puro in general) should read BAHU's excellent history of FMW. http://fmwwrestling.us/FMWHistory.html

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Pretty much. BTW, anybody with a passing interest in FMW (or 90's puro in general) should read BAHU's excellent history of FMW. http://fmwwrestling.us/FMWHistory.html

There are some really awesome pictures in this.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bocc Kob posted:

HUSTLE was owned by Dream Stage Entertainment, the company that owned PRIDE. A Yakuza scandal doomed DSE, and HUSTLE was on the decline anyway.

FMW lived and died on Onita. It didn't draw because of anything other than Onita and when Onita retired the company went into an immediate tailspin. Changing philosophy was almost required because they couldn't sell what Onita was selling without Onita.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also, Onita didn't put anyone over on the way out, right?

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.

LordPants posted:

Also, Onita didn't put anyone over on the way out, right?

I'd say Hayabusa.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Onita really put over Hayabusa, Shark, and Kudo. You would always see him getting extremely emotional if anything happened to them, especially Hayabusa & Kudo. I swear I've got 30 FMW DVDs and every single time either are in a death match, Onita is crying.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
But he won his last match, right? That history website says

quote:

The problem with Onita riding off into the sunset as the hero of FMW, was that FMW was still running, and the hero was gone. Onita wanted to walk away FMW as the winner of his final match, and since he had nothing to do financially with FMW anymore, his ego came in front of FMW's business. The lost to Onita hurt Hayabusa right away in the promotion, with the feeling that Hayabusa was not as good as Onita. The promotion had been based on Onita since the beginning, and when Onita wasn't there, it was Tarzan Goto fill the void. This time it would have to be filled by a wrestler who had not tour in FMW for almost two years, in Hayabusa who would have to become the man for FMW.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LordPants posted:

But he won his last match, right? That history website says

Hayabusa was also inserted into the match at the last minute when the original wrestler pulled out, so it wasn't even some long term plan to get Hayabusa over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yeah so someone ran a show under the name of IWA Japan:

I.W.A. JAPAN 9/30/2012 Shinjuku Face posted:

1. Kentaro Shiga vs. Punch no Omawari-san(Police Officer)
#Special Guest Referee: Chocoball Mukai
2. Ishinriki and Zack Sabre, Jr. vs. Masao Inoue and Death Worm
3. Taiji Ishimori vs. Chupa w/ Haru Miyako
4. IWA Junior Heavyweight Championship Decision Match: Genba Hirayanagi vs. Kappa Kozou
5. Yoshihiro Takayama and Maybach Taniguchi vs. Bigfoot and Yukiotoko(Yeti) w/ Haru Miyako
6. Okoshi Asano 60th Birthday Match: Naomichi Marufuji & Atsushi Kotoge w/ Captain Kinloch vs. Uchuu-jin Grey(Grey Alien) & Gum Ningen(Gum Man) w/ Haru Miyako

except its not listed on Cagematch.net

We, gentle readers, have a bit of mystery!