Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Oh, I don't doubt that they've changes and improvements over time, it's just that you can't really point at that code as as a boundary line for such changes. Some of the late C8O units may have gotten the improvements or possibly some of the C9O units didn't get the improvements yet. It is the only thing we have to go on though.

That's the main reason why there's been such inconsistency in reports of issues being resolved.

I'm mostly just using it as a way to differentiate the tablets, it seems most of the C8Os got the improvements while most of the C9Os did too. I don't doubt that not ALL of them did however.

It's easier than saying the Nexus 7s from September or something since, even if you buy one in September, there's no guarantee it would've been a C9O because even the ones from the Play Store were C8O.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I got a good kick out of the latest ad on Amazon's home page. Obviously it's a bit disingenuous, but drat it's funny.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ozmodiar posted:

Thanks.

No two pane view with Betamax?What was the full story with Ferg? Just not enough time to develop?

It started with not enough time to develop and then when I had time I found I just didn't have much desire anymore. Geekner has been keeping it fresh.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Zero VGS posted:

and the 32gb that can take a Sim card.

Wait, what?

Ferg posted:

It started with not enough time to develop and then when I had time I found I just didn't have much desire anymore. Geekner has been keeping it fresh.

Gotcha. Glad it wasn't anything serious (like health/family issues).

I got an iPhone last November, and inherited an iPad 1 in January (which I found a more pleasant experience than my Xoom...that I sold in March) so I was out of the Android scene for a while.

Gerkner is a good dude, so I'm glad it's in good hands.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Install Gentoo posted:

The Acer A700's battery would require approximately 15 hours to charge from empty, if you ran a standard USB port at full standard power and had no power loss in charging the battery nor drain on the battery from anything running.

This is why standard USB ports aren't used on devices with batteries that big for charging.

I didn't realise the situation was quite that bad. It looks like USB2 and 3 have 500mA and 900mA maximum current draws respectively, which will both take a long time, as you say. Still it would have been nice if they'd used these new high-power charging specs that are floating around or USB3, since the SOC supports it. I expect they had to make cuts to keep the cost down. It just sucks that now we're back to the original problem of having to carry around charging cables again.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I am super impatient. I found out Game stop sells the 7 and bought it there. Gonna have to refuse the shipment from Google Play but that's what you get when you take 2 days to process an order. Just have to wait for the case to get here.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Nobody should be buying nexus tablets from google play. You can get the tablets tax free from other retailers, sometimes for even less than the MSRP if you are lucky enough to buy one with a coupon or some other discount.

Duke Jeffrie
Apr 29, 2010

IT Guy posted:

Funny thing is, about 2 weeks ago I threatened to cancel the order (I wasn't really going to because I want the case) and they responded to me via email with a shipping tracking number saying it was shipped. So, 10 business days ago they generated the shipping documents but nothing has changed on the tracking number other than "shipping docs generated", which means that they generated the shipping docs but never shipped the product. I assume this was their attempt to stop me from cancelling. Oh well, I guess. I'll give it a till Christmas before I go to my bank for a charge back on my CC.

Yikes, I just came here to post this exact same thing.

Was given the "next week!" response. It didn't ship. I was then given an actual shipping date estimation. It didn't ship. I threatened cancelling. I was given excuse of "Oops, it was a weekend and a postal holiday." They said that it was "preparing to ship", but they would refund if I still wanted to do so. Like someone else posted, I figured if it was ready to ship then I may as well go ahead since I'd have to start over with a Portenzo order. So I told them that if the case was built and ready to go then to go ahead and send it, but if it wasn't ready then to cancel the order.

Eventually they finally provided tracking info. All it said was "Electronic shipping info received", on October 12. I checked it daily for updates but figured it might just not have been updated (Tregloo mentioned international shipping has limited tracking information).

Today I look and see that it was finally scanned in Chicago on October 24. 12 days just to reach Chicago.

So as with IT Guy, they printed a shipping label to shut me up and stop me cancelling. I had made it clear I was going to cancel if my case wasn't ready. They tricked me so they could keep my money.

If anyone is else fed up waiting for a Treegloo order, my advice would be to get a refund while you still can. They'll just keep lying to keep you on the hook. I don't know why they couldn't just say "It'll be 8-12 weeks", instead of lying and being shady with shipping labels.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I live on Kauai in Hawaii so my options are get it tax free with $30 shipping, get it from Gamestop with tax, or get it from Google Play with slightly cheaper shipping. I get hosed no matter what.

fuzzi
Oct 14, 2002

Mister Fister posted:

Nobody should be buying nexus tablets from google play. You can get the tablets tax free from other retailers, sometimes for even less than the MSRP if you are lucky enough to buy one with a coupon or some other discount.

I checked Amazon and it was more expensive than on Google Play so I just assumed it was the cheapest and there is no tax from there.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

fuzzi posted:

I checked Amazon and it was more expensive than on Google Play so I just assumed it was the cheapest and there is no tax from there.

I haven't checked recently, especially with the new model, but when the nexus 7 first came out, i bought it online somewhere else with free shipping and no tax. I remember seeing the 16 gig model going lower than $249 with no tax/shipping on slickdeals a couple of times due to coupons.

Also there was a shipping debacle with google play when it first came out and people were getting it elsewhere (B&M and online) much faster than from google.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Duke Jeffrie posted:

Yikes, I just came here to post this exact same thing.

Was given the "next week!" response. It didn't ship. I was then given an actual shipping date estimation. It didn't ship. I threatened cancelling. I was given excuse of "Oops, it was a weekend and a postal holiday." They said that it was "preparing to ship", but they would refund if I still wanted to do so. Like someone else posted, I figured if it was ready to ship then I may as well go ahead since I'd have to start over with a Portenzo order. So I told them that if the case was built and ready to go then to go ahead and send it, but if it wasn't ready then to cancel the order.

Eventually they finally provided tracking info. All it said was "Electronic shipping info received", on October 12. I checked it daily for updates but figured it might just not have been updated (Tregloo mentioned international shipping has limited tracking information).

Today I look and see that it was finally scanned in Chicago on October 24. 12 days just to reach Chicago.

So as with IT Guy, they printed a shipping label to shut me up and stop me cancelling. I had made it clear I was going to cancel if my case wasn't ready. They tricked me so they could keep my money.

If anyone is else fed up waiting for a Treegloo order, my advice would be to get a refund while you still can. They'll just keep lying to keep you on the hook. I don't know why they couldn't just say "It'll be 8-12 weeks", instead of lying and being shady with shipping labels.

Fairly sure that is against credit card policy. Issue a charge back.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
<-- glad that he placed an order with Portenzo

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Ozmodiar posted:

Wait, what?

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_32gb_hspa

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

I'm an idiot. I read "Sim card" as "SD card" the first time.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Zarkov Cortez posted:

<-- glad that he placed an order with Portenzo

Yep, Portenzo cases are the best cases. And they arrive in a reasonable time.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
How are the Motorola Xoom's? I see them all the time refurbed at around $200-$300.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

b0nes posted:

How are the Motorola Xoom's? I see them all the time refurbed at around $200-$300.
They're old, low-res and have lovely Tegra 2 processors. Get the Nexus 10 instead.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I own a Xoom and I'll be the first to say it's not worth $200 based on what's on the market today.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

The only good thing about the Xoom is it's a Google Experience™ device so it should be among the first to get updates and also runs stock Android. It probably won't be getting many more updates though, thanks to the Tegra 2.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Mister Fister posted:

This is why we need a real OP :negative:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

KoB posted:

This is why we need a real OP :negative:
So stop complaining and make one.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

So stop complaining and make one.

I'd like to if I could, but I dont know anything about tablets, thats why I make terrible purchasing decisions :(

e: Should it take a while for my Nexus 7 to appear on my google account? I cant install apps from the play website. Nevermind, it appeared finally.

KoB fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 31, 2012

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

KoB posted:

I'd like to if I could

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483532

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Is there a way to close all tabs in the tablet version of chrome? I can do it on my phone but the menu appears not to exist on my Nexus 7.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

b0nes posted:

Don't.

I sold my Xoom when I inherited an iPad 1, and it blew it out of the water. I happened to be on Craigslist about 3 months after I sold it and found the guy I sold it to re-selling it himself. Do yourself a favor and just ignore any Xoom's you see.

If you're willing to spend $200-$300, just get a 32GB Nexus 7. If you really want a 10" screen, splurge and get a Nexus 10.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I think at this point I am past the tipping point on the idea of owning a tablet, and I really like the Android ecosystem, so unless reviews declare it a piece of garbage, I think the Nexus 10 is going to be the one I go for. Was thinking about the Surface, but the mixed reviews combined with Microsoft's history of quickly abandoning things that aren't massive hits right out of the gate has kind of given me pause.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

kuddles posted:

I think at this point I am past the tipping point on the idea of owning a tablet, and I really like the Android ecosystem, so unless reviews declare it a piece of garbage, I think the Nexus 10 is going to be the one I go for. Was thinking about the Surface, but the mixed reviews combined with Microsoft's history of quickly abandoning things that aren't massive hits right out of the gate has kind of given me pause.
But the Surface is massive :v:

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

kuddles posted:

As an owner of various Android and iOS devices, the Surface is really nice and you should at least try to play around with one before dismissing it since you seem open to trying it out. I still have my Nexus 7 and iPad 3 but it's likely I'll get rid of both after using my Surface for almost a week now.

I think the "Surface/RT is dead" talk is a little overblown - it's tied to an OS that will be on nearly every computer and the vast majority of the apps on the Windows Store have ARM support since it's so easy for devs to port it over.

Also true Office support is a god send but I think it's coming over to Android anyway.

Edit: I really like the Android ecosystem as well and I am pretty heavily invested in it, I'm just fed up with the state of tablet apps and it's why I still haven't gotten rid of my iPad.

Butt Soup Barnes fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 1, 2012

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

kuddles posted:

Microsoft is betting the company on 8 and RT in way they've never done before. They've said it about other products, but the really seem to mean it this time. The Xbox was considered a failure financially, but the 360 is the big leader of its generation.

Android is good and getting better all the time. I don't even want to know how much money I've spent on apps, but living in a Microsoft and Android world simultaneously is irritating.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Kynetx posted:

but living in a Microsoft and Android world simultaneously is irritating.

I'm interested in what you find irritating about that?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Well, as the other guy alluded to, having to use Office at work and having no decent equivalent for an Android tablet can be a dealbreaker. A dude at my work really wants the Nexus 10 (he currently has an iPad 2) but he's edging towards surface so he can work on his spreadsheets effectively.

Of course, when I want to work from my tablet, I use VPN and Remote Desktop, bring up my work screen, and plug in a Mouse and KB using USB OTG or Bluetooth. But what typical user can be arsed to do that?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

An official Microsoft Office suite for Android and iOS is rumoured for Q2 2013

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I'm interested in what you find irritating about that?

As stated, Office-compatible apps exist, but I have problems with document compatibility. My tablet is my reference point as I don't use my phone for work.

One-note is terrible, Lync is incompatible (according to Play), spotty NTFS support, no Bit Locker support, Exchange email requires I hand over control to my company's IT department, whereas my employer-owned Lumia 900 does not. Inconsistent IU design, etc.
Android works, and I've purchased workaround apps to address most of the problems I've had, but I'd prefer to go with a vertical solution.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The Office on RT tablets is loving horrible in my experience. I expected it to be slow because of the rumored emulation and stuff but jeez.

Office on Android and iOS should be a lot better to use just because they can't do the same thing as Office for RT.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Install Gentoo posted:

The Office on RT tablets is loving horrible in my experience. I expected it to be slow because of the rumored emulation and stuff but jeez.

Office on Android and iOS should be a lot better to use just because they can't do the same thing as Office for RT.

Did you update it? The version that comes preinstalled is old and there is a 500+ MB update. I've used it a ton with some pretty large and complicated Excel files and it works so much better than any Office alternative I've used on both iOS and Android.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

So is there a way to get pdf or epub files from my computer onto my Nexus 7 and showing up in the google play books app? or do I have to download another ebook reader?

I'd rather have books all in one place, even though some will be loaded on the device from my computer and others downloaded from the google play store.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Kynetx posted:

Exchange email requires I hand over control to my company's IT department

This isn't an Android thing, it's an Exchange thing that Android devices comply with. iOS devices also comply with it. It's a setting on the Exchange Active Sync service that forces you to make the app a device administrator. You're IT company can turn it off, however, I don't see why they would since it is a good setting to have. If people want to attach their personal devices to company email, then yes you should be forced to hand over control.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Fun fact: one of our company's mail admin departments (in India) wiped over three thousand iPhones/iPads around the globe one night with an incorrectly scripted wipe that was meant for one device. A good number of these were personal devices, with personal data and photos, not company issued.

On a good note we made a very good case against offshoring any more IT jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

IT Guy posted:

This isn't an Android thing, it's an Exchange thing that Android devices comply with. iOS devices also comply with it. It's a setting on the Exchange Active Sync service that forces you to make the app a device administrator. You're IT company can turn it off, however, I don't see why they would since it is a good setting to have. If people want to attach their personal devices to company email, then yes you should be forced to hand over control.

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought, but why no admin rights for WP7?