Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Has Jeremy Renner ever been in something good and, more importantly, been good in something? The guys got a lot of fans and a lot of opportunistic in the business, for some reason. He's about as bland and uninteresting as they get.

He got all his heat from Hurt Locker. He hasn't done anything since though even remotely as interesting.

Right now he's basically at the apex of what that heat brought him, but it's likely we'll be seeing less and less of him because he's just not a draw, or much of a leading man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Mission Impossible 4 is excellent and Jeremy Renner is excellent in it.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

He was also good in The Town which is also a good movie.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

He was also in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and 12 and Holding.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I haven't seen The Town. Or MI:4. Gotta get on it. Jesse James... He's fine in bit parts, but a leading man he is not.

This is funny to me somehow:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vagabundo posted:

Let's bring the tone down in this here thread.

I can't read "Witch Hunter" and not think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLPm_IUx-Kc

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Has there ever been a good movie with the premise of "take an old fairy tale but make it badass?" Hansel & Gretel looks terrible, Red Riding Hood was criminally boring and bad, The Brothers Grimm was stupid, Van Helsing was awful. Has anyone ever made something like that but had it turn out even halfway decent?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe not movies, but it works on TV.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Yodzilla posted:

Has there ever been a good movie with the premise of "take an old fairy tale but make it badass?" Hansel & Gretel looks terrible, Red Riding Hood was criminally boring and bad, The Brothers Grimm was stupid, Van Helsing was awful. Has anyone ever made something like that but had it turn out even halfway decent?

The Hellboy movies are full of that kind of thing, and they were pretty good.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Aphrodite posted:

My wife is absolutely addicted to Once Upon a Time. It's definitely more tolerable than some of the movies I posted and the special effects budget seems to have tripled in the second season. The first was so greenscreened with bad CG that everything looked like it was outtakes from an old FMV adventure game like Phantasmagoria.

Shanty posted:

The Hellboy movies are full of that kind of thing, and they were pretty good.

I...guess. But those at least had something good to start with. That and Guillermo del Toro is awesome with that sort of material.

e: though i just remembered Blade 2, but then again he was young and has since said that much of that film is embarrassing to him now

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Hellboy movies weren't very good at all! I love Perlman in them but that's pretty much the only good thing I can recall

Oh and some of the monster designs, I still like (some) of those

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Zzulu posted:

Hellboy movies weren't very good at all! I love Perlman in them but that's pretty much the only good thing I can recall

Oh and some of the monster designs, I still like (some) of those
The Hellboy movies, and probably Guillermo Del Toro in general, are probably going to be rememebered in the same way that Ray Harryhausen is today.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Strange Matter posted:

The Hellboy movies, and probably Guillermo Del Toro in general, are probably going to be rememebered in the same way that Ray Harryhausen is today.

As a forward-thinking special effects genius?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61GrbjeNc1E

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Yodzilla posted:

Has there ever been a good movie with the premise of "take an old fairy tale but make it badass?"

I'm not sure "badass" is how I would describe it, but The Troll Hunter is a pretty great movie.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

HoldYourFire posted:

As a forward-thinking special effects genius?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61GrbjeNc1E
Yes, who made movies that exist primarily as a venue for his special effects but have plenty of charm and personality.

(Pan's Labyrinth may sink this analogy, but I stand by it)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Since when was Van Helsing based on a fairy tale?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Well if we're stretching that "genre" I just made up to fit Hellboy I think Van Helsing fits in there. Also just the general attitude and feel of the movie is right at home with the rest of that bunch.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Yodzilla posted:

Well if we're stretching that "genre" I just made up to fit Hellboy I think Van Helsing fits in there. Also just the general attitude and feel of the movie is right at home with the rest of that bunch.

Hellboy 2 has tooth fairies and trolls and poo poo. That's like the definition of fairy tales in a way that a bunch of Draculas laying Frankenstein eggs or whatever the gently caress was going on in that movie isn't.

e: I think I see the connection, though, that kind of medieval hamlet they go to has a fairy tale feel to it

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Ha, well I just realized that I apparently forgot almost the entirety of Hellboy 2 but yeah that's what I was thinking.

e: my original point still stands unless Snow White and the Huntsman was any good

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Well I mean if you're counting Dracula is a fairy tale, then yes, there have been lots of good Dracula movies. Hell, there's even been one genuinely great Van Helsing solo movie(Brides of Dracula).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Frankenstein shows up in Once Upon a Time. Classic horror is now fair game.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Van Helsing is based on the Universal Horror franchise. If it has a sequel, we might get Van Helsing fighting Gillman and Imhotep, with an Invisible Man as the villain. Actually, that might happen in the reboot for all we know.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Aphrodite posted:

Frankenstein shows up in Once Upon a Time. Classic horror is now fair game.

Frankenstein or the Monster?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

oldpainless posted:

Frankenstein or the Monster?

The doctor, and the monster's hand from under a sheet at the end of the episode.

However, on the show the monster is his brother so the monster's name actually is Frankenstein.

vvv They haven't actually given the monster a name yet, since it was in the last 5 seconds of the episode. It's just something someone in the thread pointed out. vvv

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 31, 2012

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Aphrodite posted:

However, on the show the monster is his brother so the monster's name actually is Frankenstein.

Immersion: ruined.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I haven't seen The Town. Or MI:4. Gotta get on it. Jesse James... He's fine in bit parts, but a leading man he is not.

Without the 007 logos slapped all over this I would assume it's a live-action adaptation of some awful anime.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

casa de mi padre posted:

Without the 007 logos slapped all over this I would assume it's a live-action adaptation of some awful anime.

The gold 007 seems especially precariously placed.

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002
Next Mondo:

The Man with the Iron Fists - Tomer Hanuka

The Lord of the Rings - Vania Zouravliov

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The picture kinda works with the words: "The best weapon is deadliness packed under the guise of normality."

Also irrelevant but the Chinese name of the movie is literally "Crisis from the Sky".

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Aphrodite posted:

Does a made-for-TV-movie count?

Because Snow White: A Tale of Terror is p. good

I say this as someone who is one course short of a minor in fairy tales.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Vegetable posted:

Also irrelevant but the Chinese name of the movie is literally "Crisis from the Sky".

I read it as "Opportunity from the sky" :v:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

Aphrodite posted:

The doctor, and the monster's hand from under a sheet at the end of the episode.

vvv They haven't actually given the monster a name yet, since it was in the last 5 seconds of the episode. It's just something someone in the thread pointed out. vvv

I choose to stake whether or not I actually start watching that show on them naming the monster Adam. That'll show me if they actually care.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

DKWildz posted:

The Lord of the Rings - Vania Zouravliov

Who is this in the poster? It's nice looking and all, but I seriously have no idea who it's depicting.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

HoldYourFire posted:

I read it as "Opportunity from the sky" :v:

Yes... Crisi-tunity!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

GonSmithe posted:

Who is this in the poster? It's nice looking and all, but I seriously have no idea who it's depicting.

Bilbo, of course.

There are something like three women in that whole trilogy, and it's clearly not Cate Blanchett or Miranda Otto, soooo.......

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Shanty posted:

That's like the definition of fairy tales in a way that a bunch of Draculas laying Frankenstein eggs or whatever the gently caress was going on in that movie isn't.

Wasn't the premise of Van Helsing that Dracula felt no emotion whatsoever, and him not feeling any emotion made him really angry and sad?

That movie is one of the funniest comedies I have ever seen.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
The Iron Fists poster is nice but those LotR pieces are total cluster fucks. Well done, but nothing tells me the hell it's supposed to be.

e: except the tree emblem on the bottom right, I guess

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The official 'Iron Fists' posters are better than the Mondo one? :monocle:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Anyone else getting a Matt Smith/new Who vibe from new Q?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Otacon, do you think love can bloom on the battlefield?