Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Fifty Three posted:

Okay, so, I recently bought one of those CPO Galaxy Nexus...es. Had a lot of trouble activating it, Backup Assistant wouldn't work, randomly dropped signal, etc. Switched back to my Incredible for the night until I could get to the local Verizon store.

They gave me a new SIM card and sent me on my way, and the phone started having the same issues on the way home. Switched back to the Incredible again. Then I read somewhere that 4.1 Jelly Bean might solve some of the issues so I updated the phone and reactivated online. The problem is that activating online chose my old SIM card for me and I didn't notice until after I was done. I've already contacted Verizon again and they're sending a replacement Nexus, but am I going to have to return to the store to get my SIM card switched again or can I switch/activate the new SIM myself, somehow?

When you go online to switch back from your Incredible, it'll ask you for the IMEI of the Nexus as well as a SIM card serial number. Enter the number off the new SIM they give you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Oh, neat. It didn't give me the option before, for some reason. It automatically chose the IMEI and SIM based on my recent order. Thanks.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Even though power is out in southwestern CT, my LTE & 3G work fine, albeit slightly slow. Thank you Verizon!

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...
Somehow...I live in the one spot in my town that has 3G/4G coverage after this hurricane rolled thru (Clarksburg NJ). My FiOS is also working flawlessly - thanks Verizon!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
No cell service at my house on Long Island. gently caress you, Verizon! :v:

Boffo Beach Babe!!!
Mar 7, 2003

Ah well, so much for the Nexus 4 announcement.

I'm still looking to move away from my DroidX2 soon; any word on the next big thing worth looking into? I kinda had my heart set on some kind of Nexus (G'Nex 2!?!) but that seems to be less than likely, now I just want something well made with a half decent chance of support one year out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Boffo Beach Babe!!! posted:

now I just want something well made with a half decent chance of support one year out.

If you want to roll your own updates and don't mind being reliant on a commmunity, GSIII since the bootloader can be compromised.

If you want the best manufacturer support one year from now while being as close to stock android as possible, buy a Razr HD.

The only two real big phones on the horizon (in a quite literal sense) are the 5" quad core 1080p HTC device and the Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

Standard HTC caveats are don't expect it to have good battery life or great long term support. The Note 2 has it's own caveats since it's so goddamn big.

On a side note, loving Verizon stores. I finally make up my mind to drop $649 on a Razr HD MAXX and go to a corporate retail store in the mall to do so. I ask him first if he'll sell it to me retail. He said, "of course, why wouldn't I" and I related my story of another corporate store's refusal to sell me a Galaxy Nexus full retail.

So, I look over the phone and decide just to do it, and they want $699 for it. It's $649 on the drat website, why is it $50 more expensive in person? I just said "gently caress it" and left. My annoyance is preventing me from just ordering it from the website now since I don't feel like giving them any of my money anymore.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Boffo Beach Babe!!! posted:

Ah well, so much for the Nexus 4 announcement.

I'm still looking to move away from my DroidX2 soon; any word on the next big thing worth looking into? I kinda had my heart set on some kind of Nexus (G'Nex 2!?!) but that seems to be less than likely, now I just want something well made with a half decent chance of support one year out.

If you're looking for "support", don't. I'm really not sure why there aren't more posts about the Razr Maxx HD which has loving incredible battery life and has been the best phone I've ever owned.

It's worth looking into.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

bull3964 posted:

So, I look over the phone and decide just to do it, and they want $699 for it. It's $649 on the drat website, why is it $50 more expensive in person? I just said "gently caress it" and left. My annoyance is preventing me from just ordering it from the website now since I don't feel like giving them any of my money anymore.

I've ran into this exact thing at my Verizon stores. We have three in my town and all were $50 more than the website. It also pissed me off and I walked out. To me walking into a cell phone store is worse than walking into a car dealership.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Are they actual corporate stores or authorized retailers? From my experience the corporate stores have the same price as the web and the Authorized retailers jack the prices.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

JayKay posted:

Are they actual corporate stores or authorized retailers? From my experience the corporate stores have the same price as the web and the Authorized retailers jack the prices.

It was a corporate store.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

wandler20 posted:

I've ran into this exact thing at my Verizon stores. We have three in my town and all were $50 more than the website. It also pissed me off and I walked out. To me walking into a cell phone store is worse than walking into a car dealership.

It costs more in stores because the employees make commission. Also why a lot of what they say is bullshit. I work at a huge retail store and get paid hourly and we can offer around $50 less than corporate stores and Best Buy for that reason, but for some reason we sell phones for a dollar where everyone else does it for free.

Boffo Beach Babe!!!
Mar 7, 2003

bull3964 posted:

If you want the best manufacturer support one year from now while being as close to stock android as possible, buy a Razr HD.

The only two real big phones on the horizon (in a quite literal sense) are the 5" quad core 1080p HTC device and the Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

Standard HTC caveats are don't expect it to have good battery life or great long term support. The Note 2 has it's own caveats since it's so goddamn big.

Yeah the Razr HD is on my radar, and while I've seen the Note 2 and there does seem to be a fair bit of buzz surrounding it, i'm honestly a bit turned off by the size of it - I don't really watch a lot of full movies or whatever so I can't justify lugging it around everywhere.

As good as the immediate offerings are, I guess this is kinda IT with regard to the holiday release cycle? Can't expect much else to be revealed till sometime early next year. Maybe I'll just hold off till something actually catches me.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

We got a Razor HD Maxx for one of our users at work and I got to play with it briefly. It's really loving nice. It's basically the same size as my Galaxy Nexus but feels a lot more solid and of course has a much bigger battery.

My GNex with the oem extended battery 2100 mAh only needs to be charged every other day so the Maxx with its good radios, much more efficient SoC, and 3300 mAh battery must last for loving ever.

I would get one without any hesitation if I could afford it.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Galler posted:

We got a Razor HD Maxx for one of our users at work and I got to play with it briefly. It's really loving nice. It's basically the same size as my Galaxy Nexus but feels a lot more solid and of course has a much bigger battery.

My GNex with the oem extended battery 2100 mAh only needs to be charged every other day so the Maxx with its good radios, much more efficient SoC, and 3300 mAh battery must last for loving ever.

I would get one without any hesitation if I could afford it.

I went into a Verizon store ("good evening sir may I-" "no.") and played with it. It has a much nicer display than the Nexus, but the form factor kind of sucks. I don't really like the corners all that much. Still, it's smaller than a Galaxy 3 and it doesn't have that stupid physical home key so I'm considering it.

Does anyone in here have the Maxx HD or just straight HD? Thoughts?

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
I'm increasingly torn between the HD and MAXX as well. A lot of users on other forums are reporting that the HD gets a solid 24 hours of use while the MAXX gets to charge every other night. I'm almost worried that with a Maxx I'd be trying to run the battery down between charges and end up all phase shifted from my normal plug-in-at-night routine.

One thing I was thinking about though regarding the HD and Maxx having non-removable batteries: most of the manufacturer figures rate phone batteries as good for 800 recharge cycles. Only needing to charge every other day would practically double the lifetime of the battery, no?

My upgrade is on 11/12 and I have a Droid X2 that Motorola announced is worth $100 trade-in value if you upgrade to another phone. a $200 Maxx HD is just too good a deal to pass up, I think.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

negativeneil posted:

My upgrade is on 11/12 and I have a Droid X2 that Motorola announced is worth $100 trade-in value if you upgrade to another phone. a $200 Maxx HD is just too good a deal to pass up, I think.

The Maxx is 200 on Amazon anyway but the 100 trade in isn't bad.

I just hate how there are phones that are lurking out there that nobody finds out about until the 11th hour. At my T-mobile store we've had the LG Optimus for like two weeks now and it's a killer little phone, but nobody has really taken notice of it. I just wonder if the same happens at Verizon and it gets overlooked for gimmicks like the Note 2.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
I'm not sure that the RAZR is getting overlooked, I think that its design is very polarizing to people. Personally I like the way it looks in person (the pictures make it seem a lot chunkier than it is) but I totally understand why people think its ugly.

The way a phone feels in my hand is way more important than the way it looks in my hand. I've been a motorola customer since the OG Droid to the Droid X and now this. I want my phone to have heft and be made out of metal. Not a lot of manufacturers are doing that these days.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

negativeneil posted:

I'm not sure that the RAZR is getting overlooked, I think that its design is very polarizing to people. Personally I like the way it looks in person (the pictures make it seem a lot chunkier than it is) but I totally understand why people think its ugly.

The way a phone feels in my hand is way more important than the way it looks in my hand. I've been a motorola customer since the OG Droid to the Droid X and now this. I want my phone to have heft and be made out of metal. Not a lot of manufacturers are doing that these days.

Oh I wasn't saying the Razr line is being overlooked, I'm just wondering why HTC have had such a lackluster running on Verizon while the One X is regarded as one of the best phones out there. Hell, I even really like the One S on T-mobile. There's nothing equal to those on Verizon.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down

negativeneil posted:

My favorite thing about my Thunderbolt is the weight of it, I would prefer something thinner though. It has a real solid feel to it, too bad everything else about it sucks. I definitely looking at the Razr HD/MAXX for the way they feel in my hand, the GS3 just feels cheap and plasticky to me. I am curious about the 1080p HTC phone but after my experience with the Thunderbolt, HTC needs to deliver a jesus phone for me to consider them again.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I finally got over my annoyance last night and ordered a Razr HD MAXX online. It just felt so good in the hand when I was looking at it.

I don't care what the reviews say, it felt SMALLER in hand than my Galaxy Nexus due to its shape, not bigger. I think it has to do with the non-curved display and no scallop in the back. It was also lighter than the Galaxy Nexus with the extended battery.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So with the Nexus 4 ruled out for us, what is there in the pipeline that will be one to watch for? I'm debating on the Note 2, but I've got smaller hands. I love everything about it but the size makes me nervous, hope I can find one to play with soon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

As mentioned previsouly, the Note 2 and the HTC 5" are the only two high end phones on the horizon.

Samsung is on a pretty rigid schedule for the Galaxy S series, so unless they change something we won't see a new flagship phone from them until Q2 of 2013 (with probably an early Q3 launch on Verizon.)

Motorola has already said that they are going to be pushing phones out at a lower rate than in the past, and they already only released the Razr, Razr MAXX, and Droid 4 last year. So, I would expect the two Razr HDs to be it for Verizon for the forseeable future.

The only wildcard is HTC, but since they are releasing a new flagship phone soon, I wouldn't expect another one for awhile after that.

Of course, we'll probably see a bunch of lower to mid range phones from Samsung, HTC, and LG over the next 6 months.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

bull3964 posted:

I don't care what the reviews say, it felt SMALLER in hand than my Galaxy Nexus due to its shape, not bigger. I think it has to do with the non-curved display and no scallop in the back. It was also lighter than the Galaxy Nexus with the extended battery.

This has been my exact experience with the phone and I had the same setup with my Nexus, only this one doesn't die ludicrously fast.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
The Nexus 4 is just going to be a miserable failure, just like the first nexus they tried to sell on their own.

LG Spectrum 2 is here. Its a pretty nice device, like the Spectrum, has one of the best displays I have seen, even better than the mighty iPhone, but unlike the pre-ics software spectrum, the stupid LG software is gone.

But still put my vote behind the next gen razr family. The M/HD/HD Maxx are the best things going right now.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mighty Horse posted:

But still put my vote behind the next gen razr family. The M/HD/HD Maxx are the best things going right now.

Is there any word on whether the new RAZRs are going to get 4.1 or go straight to 4.2, since it's another J release/not a big overhaul?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It will almost certainly be 4.1 since the 4.2 source isn't released yet. The only way it will be 4.2 is if Motorola actually had access to the source while the Nexus 4 was being developed. But then, I would expect the JB update to take longer then as I don't think they would release 4.2 to Verizon for testing until after it officially launches. Then we would have to wait for Verizon testing schedules.

4.2 honestly doesn't seem to offer a ton over 4.1 that I will be bothered much waiting for. The Razr already has its own quick settings screen. Motorola usually already includes Swype. The new 360 degree camera is a neat trick, but not something I would use often. Enhanced control from the notification menu will be nice, but most apps haven't even adopted expanded notifications in general yet. Multiuser support is tablet only.

All the Now enhancements are actually market driven through the Google Search app, so you'll get those if you are on 4.1 or 4.2.

4.2 is going to be a bunch of nice polish on JB, but nothing I'm going to lose sleep over not having.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

bull3964 posted:

I finally got over my annoyance last night and ordered a Razr HD MAXX online. It just felt so good in the hand when I was looking at it.

How does it feel size wise vs the Bionic?

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I must be the only one unhappy with Verizon customer service. Since July I've been dealing with their shenanigans after my Galaxy Nexus's usb port died and they blamed in on water damage due to my usage from some microscopic pictures of corrosion inside.

Despite months of dealing with them and Samsung escalated directly and together in a conference call, nobody was willing to budge on it being anything other than my fault (despite plenty of evidence out there like http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=23789 and reports of it being serviced under warranty in other countries).

It took literally months because every time I called, all I would get was "you have a callback scheduled x days from now, there's nothing I can do" and inevitably nobody would call back and the cycle would repeat.

I finally got them to agree to refund the $300 damaged device fee (more than it would cost to just buy a new Nexus!) if I returned the replacement Nexus they sent me. It arrived to them a month ago on Oct 1st, and they immediately lost it in the warehouse and/or got it mixed up with somebody else's Droid X. So, now I'm dealing with the same cycle of "we have a callback scheduled to follow up x days from now" and no call ever comes. One rep was able to resubmit all the paperwork and insisted she would follow up, but same thing happens.

TL;DR ffffffffffffffffffffff

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

wandler20 posted:

How does it feel size wise vs the Bionic?

It's been almost a year since I've held the Bionic so it's hard to remember. They're about the same weight (the MAXX is 1g heavier than the Bionic) but the Razr just feels DENSE which is really nice. The bionic always felt a bit hollow.

The Bionic would feel a bit smaller in the hand due to the taper in the back. However, if you put the 2700mAH battery on the Bionic to even make it try to compare to the standard Razr HD, there's no comparison on thickness.

One thing that may turn people off the Razr is there's a distinct ridge around the bezel. That's not super unusual for a phone (my Galaxy Nexus has one) but it feels a bit more pronounced. I think part of the reason for that is that it doesn't FEEL like this is a joint. With other phones, it's obvious that this is a seam between the case and the display, but with the Razr it just seems like one solid block. Because of that, I think it makes the ridge stand out a bit more.

I kind of like the ridge as it will lend some protection to the display.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

RVProfootballer posted:

Is there any word on whether the new RAZRs are going to get 4.1 or go straight to 4.2, since it's another J release/not a big overhaul?

Being that no phone in the history of android has ever hop-skipped a numbered release, I'm going to go with no.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

AppleCobbler posted:

Being that no phone in the history of android has ever hop-skipped a numbered release, I'm going to go with no.

A boy can dream :allears:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

AppleCobbler posted:

Didn't one of the Sony phones go from 2.1 to 2.3?

e: Yeah, it was the Xperia X10.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 31, 2012

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Mostly I'm just trying to figure out what I'm going to do when I'm up for renewal in January/February. I'm doing my best not to get Samsung'd again, again, and I guess that still means iPhone or Nexus haha no Nexuses on Verizon ever again. I'm still hanging onto a little hope that we'll see a version of the Nexus 4 for Verizon before I actually have to decide about a new phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hope all you want, but Andy Rubin has made his position pretty clear. They are not going to support more than one Nexus globally from now on so it's impossible to make a Verizon or Sprint one and keep that goal.

About the only thing you can really hope For is some Optimum G variant may come to Verizon.

Fluue
Jan 2, 2008
I'm planning on getting the Razr HD Developer Edition in the near future (i.e. next 2-3 months, possibly at Christmas).

Should I be holding out for a different phone? I'm not keen on the Note 2, so that's out of the question.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

bull, did you buy the developer edition of the RAZR HD?

The big takeaway from Verizon's holiday lineup is that Galaxy S III buyers are going to get a really long useful lifespan out of their devices (provided they're ROM'ing). I'd probably rather have a GS3 than a Maxx HD, but drat if that extra 1200 mAh on the battery doesn't make all the difference.

I thought about doing this, but it's just too ridiculous. An overpriced Maxx HD is probably the only good choice for me. :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kbar posted:

bull, did you buy the developer edition of the RAZR HD?

No, I wanted the MAXX version and they don't have that as a dev edition.

I'm honestly not too worried about updates. JB is coming for the phone very soon and 4.2 didn't add anything I can't wait for.

I honestly don't know if I'll stay with Verizon past September when my contact is up, so I may be done with this phone before I have to really worry about anything.

Fluue
Jan 2, 2008
So are you saying that development for Razr HD may disappear quickly? Even if it's bootloader unlocked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Fluue posted:

So are you saying that development for Razr HD may disappear quickly? Even if it's bootloader unlocked?

Is there really any development now?

I honestly don't care. I buy devices for what they are, not what they could be down the line.

If, sometime in the far flung future, I can get a good community ROM on it to make up for any lack of updates, it will be a bonus. Otherwise, I'll just move on.

• Locked thread