Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

VanSandman posted:

So Jones is basically confirmed pre-human, right?
That just raises more questions!

Nah, there were humans during the later parts of the Pleistocene, so it would depend on when in the Pleistocene this was. Modern humans first appeared between 250,000 and 400,000 years ago, any earlier than that and she is pre-human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

Coach Sport posted:

Jones is immortal. My theory is that she's the product of some misguided court immortality/godhood experiment that went terribly wrong and resulted in her living forever. Literally forever, so she retroactively exists at every moment in time back to the formation of the universe. Having accidentally and irrevocably altered human history and the fundamental nature of reality forever, the court swears off this etheric science nonsense and decides to achieve their quest to become gods through the much safer avenue of robots.

Okay, this actually got me thinking. Coyote said Jones was the perfect example of his Great Secret, namely that he's merely a personification of man's fears and emotions within the Ether.

So maybe Jones is a personification of the Ether itself. This would mean she came into existence around the same time as mankind, and would exist for as long as mankind and the Ether both exist.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Nah, there were humans during the later parts of the Pleistocene, so it would depend on when in the Pleistocene this was. Modern humans first appeared between 250,000 and 400,000 years ago, any earlier than that and she is pre-human.

Well, it does mean that Jones is older than Coyote.
I really hope those two never throw down. It'll distract from all the character-building and school-based shenanigans.

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!
For some reason this update looks to me like the origin of Jones is imminent. Like, this is the first time in her life she has seen anything but ice, and she came into existence somewhere within this glacier.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

VanSandman posted:

So Jones is basically confirmed pre-human, right?
That just raises more questions!

If you had clicked here to learn about stuff, you'd know that the Pleistocene ended 11 700 years ago, and that Cro-Magnon aka "European Early Modern Humans" were attested 43 000 years ago.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Cthulhuchan posted:

I don't think the length of it hasn't changed much, but yeah the styling has.

Perhaps her hair doesn't grow and cannot be cut?

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
Anyone consider Jones might be relaying this story to Annie, and much like Coyote's etheric visage is a little overwhelming, she's keeping her image familiar for Annie's sake?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
We did consider that, but it got in the way of our ability to be outraged about the possibility that racism was taking place in a fantasy webcomic.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

In a fit of conscience, Tom redraws Jones in every page to exactly match the indigenous people, so as not to offend anyone.

"Who are all these ladies in all these different time periods? They don't look identical, so they can't be Jones!" the thread cries out.

"That woman is Eglamore's girlfriend."

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
I'm starting to think that Jones isn't people.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

pandaK posted:

What if Jones experiences time in reverse

Listen:
Emma Jones has come unstuck in time.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Maybe she's left over from a previous rotation of the great wheel, or the Hyborean Age.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I might be mixing my Homestuck and Gunnerkrigg theories, but maybe she's literally an agent of the author stuck into the world to make sure everything proceeds as it should. That would fit the "not an existing mythology" criteria.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
You know, with all this talk about how drat old/invincible Jones is, it's got me thinking that this also may be some great, big narrative set-up for an eventual, spectacular death.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Cabbit posted:

I might be mixing my Homestuck and Gunnerkrigg theories, but maybe she's literally an agent of the author stuck into the world to make sure everything proceeds as it should. That would fit the "not an existing mythology" criteria.

I really hope not. It works in Homestuck because of the tone of the story, the fact that multiple universes are canonically a thing, and most importantly, because Hussie avoids putting his insert character anywhere near anything that's meant to be taken seriously. Here it would just be stupid.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Renaissance Robot posted:

We did consider that, but it got in the way of our ability to be outraged about the possibility that racism was taking place in a fantasy webcomic.
You know, I'm kind of in the "wait and see" camp, but there's been more outrage and "oh god what is this tumblr" type hostility in response to what was honestly a pretty low key criticism in the first place. Given how freewheeling the discussion usually is in here it's a pretty conspicuous amount of effort to shut that line of questioning down.

As for Jones Breaking Evolution, I kinda figure that's been done enough with minotaurs and fairies and weird dragon things already that a pre-human robot lady isn't going to strain that credibility too much.

Haledjian fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 31, 2012

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Haledjian posted:

You know, I'm kind of in the "wait and see" camp, but there's been more outrage and "oh god what is this tumblr" type hostility in response to what was honestly a pretty low key criticism in the first place. Given how freewheeling the discussion usually is in here it's a pretty conspicuous amount of effort to shut that line of questioning down.
It may be a low key criticism but it's, unfortunately, couched in the language and terminology of the habitually mockable Tumblr social justice crowd. It's one of the really damaging things about that particular subculture; repeated exposure to the absurdity of pro-anorexic, multiple system, transspecies vampires can predisposition outsiders to roll their eyes at the very mention of trigger warnings or privilege or any number of legitimate concepts that deserve serious appraisal. And those issues don't benefit from being shunted into the Poe's law zone just so internet dorks can high five each other for posting catchphrases at each other about how Resident Evil 5 affected Jill Valentine's agency as a character.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
See also: flavour of the month/:regd08:. It'll go out of fashion as a source of easy jokes in a few months at most.

Haledjian posted:

I see a lot of the same faces in here I do in the PYF mock thread (aka the PYF awful poo poo that makes you mad thread); any overreaction here almost certainly has a lot to do with prolonged exposure to peak internet. Looking at that stuff too much skews your perception of how prevalent hyperbolic moral outrage really is, and makes you see it where it isn't.

On the other hand, what discussion? What is there to talk about other than saying how bad it would be if the chapter went in a certain direction? That poo poo sucks, but if you wanna talk about it go hog wild for all of me.

e/ If we were at the end of the chapter and people were arguing about a depiction of the eternal white lady that actually happened on paper, in the past, and whether the excuse of it being a narrative device stopped it being racist? I probably wouldn't have made that lovely joke. Talking about it before it's even happened is just kind of depressing though. Don't want to believe that something I like could do something weird enough that even I could pick up on it, you know? Let me hope for another week or two. :(

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 31, 2012

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
It's a really loving dumb criticism, and it's not a "line of questioning" at all - that'd involve putting actual effort into unpacking its actual ramifications or making a case that it means what they say or doing literally anything more than tut-tutting about how "problematic" it all is. That's not "questioning", that's censure. Using a British fantasy comic dealing with mostly European mythical figures including a European mythical critter of some sort that looks like a European as an excuse to make a lot of bad posts about "the issues with Jones the eternal attractive white lady" and analysis of how the comic is some kind of racist erasure of factual biology because obviously this is the most relevant thing to possibly-imaginary magic woman is like the most boneheaded SJW witchhunt line of thinking you could take. I'm, like, pretty sure that nobody's getting the idea that the comic's refuting/denying the African diaspora or claiming white people are humanity's eternal demigod forbears except internet nerds looking for something to condemn, although if someone wants to detail that instead of acting Offended and then moan about being silenced when anyone disagrees with them they're perfectly free to.

Lord help us if Wotan ever shows up. Or Gaia - "HOW COME THE NURTURING EARTH SPIRIT ALWAYS GOTTA BE A WOMAN HUH???"

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I think you're pissed about a lot more than a couple lines in this thread.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I totally called it. Countdown to Jones hi-fiving a velociraptor: 2 updates.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Renaissance Robot posted:

On the other hand, what discussion? What is there to talk about other than saying how bad it would be if the chapter went in a certain direction? That poo poo sucks, but if you wanna talk about it go hog wild for all of me.
No, I mean, there's not a lot to say about it at this point. I don't think it should have been a big deal to raise, speculate on, or argue for dismissing. It should have been open in shut in like three or four posts.

Unfortunately there is a tendency (one that's been around long before Tumblr or the internet) for some people to treat any suggestion that something might have racial issues as way more transgressive than all but the most blatant racism. And to characterize any criticism along those lines, no matter how low-key, as a hysterical overreaction. I think "Tumblr SJ" makes it easier for people to do that insofar as it provides a nice strawman to associate that kind of discussion with, just like Political Correctness Gone Mad has been for the last, I don't know, fifteen years. But I don't think it's the cause.

Haledjian fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 31, 2012

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Murderion posted:

Listen:

:golfclap:

Suaimhneas posted:

I really hope not. It works in Homestuck because of the tone of the story, the fact that multiple universes are canonically a thing, and most importantly, because Hussie avoids putting his insert character anywhere near anything that's meant to be taken seriously. Here it would just be stupid.

Agreed. Gunnerkrigg is an engaging and at times serious fantasy comic with a focus on enigmatic world-building. Homestuck is a comic wherein both the guys from Insane Clown Posse were elected President simultaneously.

The literal author-insert character works in Homestuck thanks to how ridiculously self-aware it is. It's probably not gonna be the case here.

Ezzer fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 31, 2012

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

I'd definitely credit Tom with a lot better handle on his story's narrative propriety than to think he'd pull something like that. Plus he already kind of has an author-insert character in those little bookend pages.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Okay I don't think jones could get any nakeder we have to be close to the end.

Bocom
Apr 3, 2009

No alibi
No justice
No dream
No hope

Lord Lambeth posted:

Okay I don't think jones could get any nakeder we have to be close to the end.

She could still lose her skin :unsmigghh:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Bocom posted:

She could still lose her skin :unsmigghh:

Probably for the best, considering the last few pages of the thread.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

Probably for the best, considering the last few pages of the thread.

"Oh come on, talk about situs inversus erasure. :rolleyes:"

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
I hope this chapter ends with Jones, standing around looking bored, watching the big bang.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Lady Naga posted:

Wow it's like I took a hard right turn into Tumblrville.

Can someone check my map for me? think the directions are off.

"Implying white people are born of superior heritage is kinda problematic since it's a thing that's actually been said and believed whereas a trickster god existing in a work of fiction isn't racist."

"WOW TUMBLRISMS MUCH?!?!"

I agree with the thought that she looks the same as a narrative device. Plus as the chapter has been going on there's been less and less dialogue, so there's not really a place to drop in a "hey this person is Jones."

Murderion posted:

Listen:

Hahaha :hf:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Heliotrope posted:

"Implying white people are born of superior heritage

I'd like to know when exactly did Tom Siddell do that.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Cat Mattress posted:

I'd like to know when exactly did Tom Siddell do that.

I wasn't. If you actually checked the conversation

Cabbit posted:

Maybe being white isn't a mutation. Maybe Jones was the first white person, and all white people share her as a common ancestor.

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

I rather hope not, since suggesting all white people are descended from an immortal superhuman brings up its own unfortunate implications.

Ursine Asylum posted:

Are they more or less unfortunate than the implication that there's an insane coyote trickster god living in a forest somewhere that can eat that moon if he wanted to?

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

Yes, because white people exist in the real world while insane coyote trickster gods don't.

Lady Naga apparently thinks this is "Tumblrville" which is what I was responding to.

I mean, I literally posted that I agree with Jones looking the same throughout the ages as a way to make sure the reader wouldn't get confused by accident right after that. You probably could have at least looked at that if you didn't want to go back checking the full conversation.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

NorgLyle posted:

It may be a low key criticism but it's, unfortunately, couched in the language and terminology of the habitually mockable Tumblr social justice crowd.

Also nobody cared.

Also also you never elaborated on what "unfortunate implications" are so I could only assume you were asking us to Czech our priviledge.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 31, 2012

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Flavahbeast posted:

Jones is the creation of an intergalactic bioweapon that crash landed on the planet thousands of years ago, she created human civilization in order to produce the biological and mechanical parts needed to repair her spaceshipdad
Looks right so far, so here's another prediction: Reynardine is gonna grow 50 feet tall and get crucified

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Somehow I don't think this is going to go towards Xenogears Court.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Somehow I don't think this is going to go towards Xenogears Court.

Or CourtStuck. Kat's totally a Prospit dreamer and Annie is all Derse NO

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Freudian posted:

Alternatives:

Jones takes a break from her origin story to regale us with tales of her days as a bootlegger in Prohibition times. She burns down a barn and doesn't even care.

Coyote and Reynardine find themselves in a bloody, chronic struggle for control of a yellow Pac-Man wristwatch. Meanwhile, in the background, Boxbot reveals hitherto-unknown proclivities towards citrus.

Parley accidentally teleports into hell and is unable to get back again. In the comic, we see all of her friends forgetting she ever existed. End of chapter!

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
More importantly, Kat's Halloween costume

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Freudian posted:

We've done this joke already and the Heir of Life is totally a Prospit dreamer

^ Also, that's awesome.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Achewood Court will always be the best webcomic crossover ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Freudian posted:

Jones is a First Guardian! :monocle: