Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Other than build quality, the GS3 is probably the better choice. Think about it a little more or at least read up on some of the problems with the LTE radio.

Thanks for the info, I remember you picking the phone up a little bit ago and am a little disappointed to hear that it hasn't panned out as well as it might have been able to.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Also HTC has something else up their sleeve but I'm under nda so I can't say what yet.

All of these statements from you both make me want to just keep waiting. I'm so indecisive, but I really don't want the SAMOLED screens... might need to compromise eventually. drat phones.

e: seen in the android phone thread: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/10/need-for-speed-just-how-fast-is-googles-new-nexus-4/

will anything comperable to the Optimus G be coming to sprint soon? Seems like there is a void here that is itching to be filled.

7 Bowls of Wrath fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B

ninmeister posted:

Wait, really? I have never once seen one of these in use outside of a Sprint store.
How was it?

Well I don't know how much of its awfulness was to blame on Froyo/gingerbread, but as for hardware I almost never used the second screen because the battery drain was so bad. Kyocera knew this and actually shipped an extra battery and portable battery charger device with the phone. Software related problems; The phone would not wake up from sleep mode requiring battery pulls, extremely laggy UI with frequent and random force closes, would have to hit the wifi button about 4 times until wifi would stay on, etc...

I pretty much stopped using the phone aside from texts or phone calls because it was such a chore to do anything on it. Last night I was playing gta 3 with all the settings on high on my Note II and remembered how the Echo could barely handle Angry Birds Space. I will never own a Kyocera phone again.

dundun fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 31, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Sprint will officially be offering TEP for the iPhone. I'll know more tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure it's $11 a month, $200 deductible, up to 3 insurance claims a year. If its like every other phone repairable damage will be a $0 deductible.

Curious if they will let Sprint reps do repairs on it.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I'm probably going to use my current upgrade to resell an iphone 5. Do these things come pre-reg'd with your account info on them, or can I safely order it from sprint to be delivered directly to the buyer?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint will officially be offering TEP for the iPhone. I'll know more tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure it's $11 a month, $200 deductible, up to 3 insurance claims a year. If its like every other phone repairable damage will be a $0 deductible.

So Applecare is still better, right? Is Applecare a one-use thing, or do you get multiple claims?

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Vykk.Draygo posted:

So Applecare is still better, right? Is Applecare a one-use thing, or do you get multiple claims?

You get two. TEP covers lost/stolen, though Apple will sell you a new phone at or near the contract price if you have at least some sort of hardware to bring in to them.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

What are you asking? Peruse any Evo LTE threads on S4GRU and xda and you'll see all kinds of people having issues with the Evo's LTE radio performance. The amount of 3rd party developer support for the phone is pathetic compared to the much larger community of the GS3. Yeah, there's a cm10 rom, but last time I used it half the features were broken, so I'm using a modified stock rom (MeanRom), which is good, but it's still Sense and therefore lovely. I have no knowledge of the newest cm10 rom because I decided not to bother with it until it's in a more working state. I'm glad to hear it has come along way though. I highly doubt they've fixed the LTE connectivity issue, do you have a link?

I live in the Chicago market where LTE is arguably farther along than any other market in the nation. The vast majority of the time I'm on a 3G connection. The only way I get LTE is if I'm 500 feet from the tower, or I cycle airplane mode. LTE rarely hands off tower to tower, so if I'm close to an LTE tower and I don't leave that area, I can be on LTE all day but that doesn't do me much good moving around.

edit - I checked out the latest cm10 thread and there still seem to be issues with GPS and the camera (neither of which worked right for me under cm10), so I'll take a pass for another few weeks and see where they're at then.

Gonna disagree with most of this. I am also in the Chicago market, running the 10/29 CM10 and have zero issues with LTE. The handoff from 3g is fine, speed is good and I have coverage for almost all of Lakeview, a big chunk of Lincoln Park, and surprisingly a good portion of the near north side.

The unfortunate part of reading xda is that nobody shares details of what they're using on their phone yet they will bitch about issues like it's the OPs responsibility to fix it. Instructions are always ignored with the same results. The only way to truly figure out what works is to try it out yourself and always do a full wipe. As for how big the development community is, never been to the gs3 forums but the EVO LTE one is very active.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Duckman2008 posted:

I'm curious as to what the procedure for someone who already has AppleCare to switch to TEP will be. Will it be as simple as cancel one and start the other?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

St. Blaize posted:

As for how big the development community is, never been to the gs3 forums but the EVO LTE one is very active.
For what it's worth, the "HTC/Samsung" Sprint CM folks are in regular communication with each other, particularly as the Evo LTE and SGS3 share the same underlying platform.

They also have a tendency to avoid xda.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Lovie Unsmith posted:

I'm curious as to what the procedure for someone who already has AppleCare to switch to TEP will be. Will it be as simple as cancel one and start the other?

AppleCare+ is more like an extended warranty so after 30 days they give you a pro-rated refund amount, minus $25 cancellation fee. Since it's only $99 to begin with it's just not worth trying to cancel it, especially since anything that *is* covered by it will be infinitely more pleasant to deal with than TEP.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Whelp, I guessed wrong.

Sprint is offering TLP for the iPhone: Total Loss Protection
$6 a month, insurance claims only. Anything from lost, stolen and catastrophic. $200 deductible, 3 claims a year max. I'm assuming it goes through Asurion.

Anyone who purchased an iPhone 5 will be given a grace period. Outside of the normal 30 day period, iPhone 4 and 4S purchasers will not be extended that offer. New iPhone 5, 4S and 4 buyers will of course be able to get it.

Sprint will be recommending customers get Apple Care to cover physical damage, TLP to cover lost/stolen.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

St. Blaize posted:

Gonna disagree with most of this. I am also in the Chicago market, running the 10/29 CM10 and have zero issues with LTE. The handoff from 3g is fine, speed is good and I have coverage for almost all of Lakeview, a big chunk of Lincoln Park, and surprisingly a good portion of the near north side.

I don't live anywhere near the city proper, so I have to chalk it up to site density or something.

In either case, you've got 14 days to try and return the phone right? If someone is interested in the Evo LTE, give it a shot and see how it does. I'm really unhappy with the phone but I realize I'm just one person. Hopefully HTC and Sprint will fix it, because I'm at the point of considering buying a Galaxy Nexus just to reliably use the 4G network.

I'll be satisfied once CM10 reaches a release candidate, but I shouldn't have to rely on an aftermarket rom to fix the LTE problems.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Help! Sprint store sales guy trying to convince me to but the HTC EVO LTE over the galaxy s 3

Which should I buy? I was for the Samsung, but he says it sucks.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

The Bananana posted:

Help! Sprint store sales guy trying to convince me to but the HTC EVO LTE over the galaxy s 3

the last store I went to to get my wife her new phone, it was the exact opposite upsell: "S3 is much better than the EVOLTE, no question."

Maybe the LTE hasn't sold well and they are trying to move product?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The Bananana posted:

Which should I buy?
Purchase the one you think is better.

If you want a bit of semi-objective help:

The SGS3 is a slight bit better hardware-wise than the Evo LTE in terms of having 2 GB of RAM and a removable battery. But otherwise they're based on the same underlying platform so there's very little difference between them performance-wise.

The biggest difference between the two phones is the custom UI (Sense vs. TouchWiz) which is kind of a wash, and the screens. The latter may well be the basis of your decision. The Evo LTE has a top-notch LCD screen while the SGS3 has a top-notch AMOLED screen. I can't say either one is really better, it's entirely a user preference thing. So take a good look at them both.

Also consider that the SGS3 has a Jellybean update out today whereas we're still waiting on the Evo's (although, not so long as to be anymore concerned about when it will come than we were last week), and the SGS3 has a slightly larger hacking community.

The Bananana posted:

I was for the Samsung, but he says it sucks.
Your sales guy sucks and has worthless opinions. Aside from iPhones, the SGS3 is probably the best phone Sprint has ever sold.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

The Bananana posted:

If you did your research and decided on the S3 then gently caress him. He doesn't have to live with it. You do. Salesmen don't have your interests in mind. They are The Enemy.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Loucks posted:

They are The Enemy.
Duckman is pretty cool. But yeah, I'd probably have this opinion if it weren't for him.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey
He probably works for a dealer that is pushing them to sell the EVO since they probably have a ton and they don't really sell on their own. It wouldn't surprise me to see the EVO on bogo for the holidays which can't be as profitable.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
After watching that Note II review posted earlier and learning about all it's features and such I decided to go with that, despite the concern I had about the 4G in the area (just north of Plano, TX).

Well it seems to be working fairly well inside at work, which is only a few minutes from home. So I'm probably good.

(Ping: 44ms Down: 4144kbps (4.05Mbps) Up: 2107kbps (2.06Mbps) for those who don't want to click for big)

Phone fits well in my hand and the Jellybean butter effect seems to work really well on it, super smooth. Also the app list doesn't go back to the top when I install an app in the store, which is sort of a small thing, but I love it. Also I can remove things from the My Apps list, not sure if that's just in regards to the phone or everything, but that's also quite welcome (doing this does make it go back to the top of the list however).

Brightman fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 1, 2012

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I love Sprint, I really do.

I was on a 3rd party employee plan through Best Buy up until now, even though I left last summer. Service shut off today because they audited and said I was no longer eligible. Went online and chatted with Sprint agent, he volunteered to put me on SERO premium without me even asking.

Hooray!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

*sigh*

Welp, I got sold an HTC EVO LTE. Even though, after having the EVO 4G, I'd decided to swear off HTC forever. The guy said:

-People keep returning their S3's

-Samsung always breaks their phones when they get updates

-S3 gets worse reception and GPS

-HTC is a smaller company, and thus accepts its mistakes and is quicker/better at correcting them

-EVO has better screen and better sound

-The majority of his coworkers have the EVO.

So, did I get suckered into buying a lame duck to help sprint out, or what?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

The Bananana posted:

You got sold, that's all. Half of that list is either opinion or full-on made up sales pitch. That being said, I don't think either is a bad phone. You've got your return window if you really end up hating the LTE anyway (two weeks, I think).

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

The Bananana posted:

*sigh*

Welp, I got sold an HTC EVO LTE. Even though, after having the EVO 4G, I'd decided to swear off HTC forever. The guy said:

-People keep returning their S3's

-Samsung always breaks their phones when they get updates

-S3 gets worse reception and GPS

-HTC is a smaller company, and thus accepts its mistakes and is quicker/better at correcting them

-EVO has better screen and better sound

-The majority of his coworkers have the EVO.

Yep all of this is bullshit. Don't ever try to buy a new car.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The only reason why they are likely seeing more returns on the GSIII is it's probably outselling the Evo LTE by a factor of 3:1.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

bull3964 posted:

The only reason why they are likely seeing more returns on the GSIII is it's probably outselling the Evo LTE by a factor of 3:1.

Try more like 10:1. Until the price point changes on the evo I wont sell it unless someone really really wants it.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
In this day and age there is no excuse for not knowing the true pros and cons of a phone before going into a store. There just too much information out there on the net. Every phone I purchased in the last 12 years I knew I wanted before going into the store. Yes certain things like hands on feel you can only do in the store, but you should be just informed as the sales person.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

God, I felt so dumb, but I just got off the phone with sprint. I just take the phone back to that same store, and then to avoid the restocking fee, I just return it without buying the Samsung there.

Honestly, since I first came in here, about a month ago, I've been researching and checking out the galaxy. The main reason I was swayed was cause I really DIDN'T do any research on the EVO, so I was uninformed about it, pro or con. I assumed the salesman was unbiased, because the phones cost the same and it was a sprint store. Learned my lesson.

Ugh. Luckily, this seems like its gonna turn out ok.

For the record, at work, where I was getting 4g and fast internet with my old EVO 4G yesterday, today, on this new phone, my internet connection is slow as hell, if I even get a connection.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

nate fisher posted:

In this day and age there is no excuse for not knowing the true pros and cons of a phone before going into a store. There just too much information out there on the net. Every phone I purchased in the last 12 years I knew I wanted before going into the store. Yes certain things like hands on feel you can only do in the store, but you should be just informed as the sales person.

Nobody has infinite time.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

The Bananana posted:

For the record, at work, where I was getting 4g and fast internet with my old EVO 4G yesterday, today, on this new phone, my internet connection is slow as hell, if I even get a connection.

The old EVO used 4G Wimax, the new EVO LTE uses 4G LTE, that's why you're not seeing the same speeds. Are you in an LTE deployment area? If you're not sure, where do you live? Even being in an LTE deployment area, the 3G is still pretty average. I'm not sure why that's the case when there should be plenty of backhaul on an NV tower. If you are in a deployment area and not seeing 4G, you might have to try cycling airplane mode because the EVO doesn't like to switch to 4G on its own.

The EVO LTE is not a bad phone. It has great build quality, awesome camera, high quality screen, but I wouldn't say it's better than the GS3. They're both good phones. Knowing everything I know now though, I would never recommend the EVO LTE to anyone if they have the option of getting the GS3.

I've been bashing the LTEvo a lot lately, but I have to say that I was in the northern burbs of Chicago today and held a 4G LTE signal pretty good, far better than I've seen so far. There won't be any way for sure to know what's what until the deployment is complete though.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 1, 2012

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

the littlest prince posted:

Nobody has infinite time.

Really? If going to sign a 2 year contract on a phone you better make some time.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nate fisher posted:

Really? If going to sign a 2 year contract on a phone you better make some time.

Thanks to the contract, a cell phone is one of the most expensive purchases most people will ever make. I've bought cars that cost less than a cell phone including the contract, and yet nobody ever would say "oh just go buy a car they're all the same".

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

IOwnCalculus posted:

Thanks to the contract, a cell phone is one of the most expensive purchases most people will ever make. I've bought cars that cost less than a cell phone including the contract, and yet nobody ever would say "oh just go buy a car they're all the same".

I am amazed at how many people I know that go buy a cell phone blind. You can spend your lunch time at work for a couple of days and make a well informed decision.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Brightman posted:

After watching that Note II review posted earlier and learning about all it's features and such I decided to go with that, despite the concern I had about the 4G in the area (just north of Plano, TX).

Jesus, how many of us North Dallas Sprint goons are there?

My wife consistently picks up 4g service by the new Allen stadium on Greenville. That said, Allen seems to be pretty much a crap shoot most of the time. Not nearly as bad as Frisco, though...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Duckman is pretty cool. But yeah, I'd probably have this opinion if it weren't for him.

Thank you.

Giblet posted:

He probably works for a dealer that is pushing them to sell the EVO since they probably have a ton and they don't really sell on their own. It wouldn't surprise me to see the EVO on bogo for the holidays which can't be as profitable.

This, plus the Evo has a nice spiff from HTC. But the S3 is decent right now too, so hell if i know. Even with commissions being different i never got selling the phone that made more money if its not what they want. People will end up returning every time.

bull3964 posted:

I haven't sold an Evo in a month, and the Evo gets returned more than the S3.

Oh, I got the AT&T job. Officially start Nov 12th.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh, I got the AT&T job. Officially start Nov 12th.

Congrats!

Maybe I can e-mail you one day about AT&T coverage in Omaha since I'll probably move from Sprint to Straight Talk AT&T. :v:

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

brc64 posted:

Jesus, how many of us North Dallas Sprint goons are there?

My wife consistently picks up 4g service by the new Allen stadium on Greenville. That said, Allen seems to be pretty much a crap shoot most of the time. Not nearly as bad as Frisco, though...

I'm actually in Allen. At least at work I have a decent signal for it, even if that isn't stellar it's good enough to do pretty much anything I want to do with it while I'm at work.

Also my Note 2's S-Pen is apparently one of the crappy ones that'll register when it's not touching the screen. Seems to be a known issue so I'm just gonna hit the store up again tomorrow to see about getting that replaced. The other "fixes" I found for this besides replacement were "smack it" and "wrap it in tinfoil" :tinfoil:.

But otherwise it's amazing. Also the thing I mentioned about being able to remove apps and the list not going back to the top seems to just be a Play Store update since my Evo 4g is doing it too.

Dayne
Dec 5, 2003
uh, yeah
So I've got an EVO 3D that's starting to show signs of that digitizer problem. After reading a page or two back that someone else in this thread had the same issue and the TEP company wanted to replace his 3D with a 4G for $100 I'm kinda worried about taking it in to get replaced. Even though my upgrade isn't up until May 2013, is there any way I could get out of that store without paying full retail for a SGS3?

Is paying the prorated ETF and then getting the new contract price on the phone an option? My contract is on a family plan that has my wife listed as the primary on it if that makes any difference and she wouldn't be with me if I were to go into the store on my lunch break today.

I don't want to get stuck up poo poo creek with either a dying phone (my 3D) or an inferior phone (the 4G) for 6 months waiting for this stupid upgrade to come up.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dayne posted:

So I've got an EVO 3D that's starting to show signs of that digitizer problem. After reading a page or two back that someone else in this thread had the same issue and the TEP company wanted to replace his 3D with a 4G for $100 I'm kinda worried about taking it in to get replaced. Even though my upgrade isn't up until May 2013, is there any way I could get out of that store without paying full retail for a SGS3?

Is paying the prorated ETF and then getting the new contract price on the phone an option? My contract is on a family plan that has my wife listed as the primary on it if that makes any difference and she wouldn't be with me if I were to go into the store on my lunch break today.

I don't want to get stuck up poo poo creek with either a dying phone (my 3D) or an inferior phone (the 4G) for 6 months waiting for this stupid upgrade to come up.

If the store has 3D screens (50/50 shot) they can just repair the screen. If not they should replace it no charge. The only reason you would pay a deductible is if there are more than 2 1" cracks. Take it into a repair center.

You can quite possibly call sprint and buy up your upgrade, but that is up to sprint. Call and ask for cancellations. If you want to do that call before going in store.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey
You don't need to threaten to cancel to be able to pay to upgrade early. Just ask customer service about the upgrade now promotion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Medullah posted:

I love Sprint, I really do.

I was on a 3rd party employee plan through Best Buy up until now, even though I left last summer. Service shut off today because they audited and said I was no longer eligible. Went online and chatted with Sprint agent, he volunteered to put me on SERO premium without me even asking.

Hooray!
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you...one of the luckiest goons ever!