Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
So my ceiling fan broke down, and I am searching for a new one. I was always dissatisfied by the old one. Anyways, so I know about finding the recommended size, but I can't really find out the exact downside of buying a bigger than recommended size fan.

You move too much air, but I sit at a desk in the corner of the room, and it seems like only the area under the fan gets any cooling effects. So if I got a bigger fan, the cooling area should get big enough to reach my desk right? I don't care what the center of the room feels like. Is there something I am missing?

Femur fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I'm sort of in a similar situation (though not as drastic) with my hearing.

I need to spend at least $2000ish a year to be able to hear. The parts for my cochlear implant processor can only be bought from one company. So if I don't have money or the company goes under, I can't hear.

The stuff of nightmares.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Tiggum posted:

How does this work in America? If you need $3000 worth of medication per month to live and you don't have insurance, what happens? Do you die?
Yes, people are told every day that they are going to die because they cannot come up with the money for the medication they need. My current favorite example of this is kidney transplants. One of our government-run healthcare systems, Medicare, is available to everyone over 65 and a couple other groups, one of which is anyone suffering from kidney failure. Medicare will pay 80k/year for them to have dialysis, Medicare will pay all of the costs for a kidney transplant, but once they get the transplant they get a three year grace period before being told they're on their own. Then they need to come up with 30k a year for immunosuppressants or they lose their kidney. If they lose their kidney, they go back on Medicare and Medicare goes back to paying 80k+ a year for them to have dialysis until they die. I am not joking. This actually happens.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Femur posted:

So my ceiling fan broke down, and I am searching for a new one. I was always dissatisfied by the old one. Anyways, so I know about finding the recommended size, but I can't really find out the exact downside of buying a bigger than recommended size fan.

The ceiling might not support the bigger fan, in which case you can expect some injuries when it comes down on the room. If you want cooling throughout the room and not just under the fan, reverse the airflow (if the fan doesn't have a switch for reversing the airflow, get one that does). The air will cool the ceiling first, then come down along the walls.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Tiggum posted:

And if you go to the emergency room, you have to pay for that, right? But they can't just kick you out or refuse to treat you? So what happens if you can't pay for that?

Under the provisions of EMTALA, passed in 1986 as part of COBRA, emergency rooms have to triage you and save your life. And that is it. They stabilize you so you can leave or be transferred, but they don't have no obligation to do more without compensation.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
but Romney said you can go to the ER and they fix you :(

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Gobbeldygook posted:

Yes, people are told every day that they are going to die because they cannot come up with the money for the medication they need. My current favorite example of this is kidney transplants. One of our government-run healthcare systems, Medicare, is available to everyone over 65 and a couple other groups, one of which is anyone suffering from kidney failure. Medicare will pay 80k/year for them to have dialysis, Medicare will pay all of the costs for a kidney transplant, but once they get the transplant they get a three year grace period before being told they're on their own. Then they need to come up with 30k a year for immunosuppressants or they lose their kidney. If they lose their kidney, they go back on Medicare and Medicare goes back to paying 80k+ a year for them to have dialysis until they die. I am not joking. This actually happens.

True story, I briefly interned at a prison as a pharmacist and some lady with a kidney transplant purposefully committed tax fraud so she could get convicted and get a couple of years of immunosuppressants. America, where people literally die from lack of meds or go to jail to get them because healthcare is so loving broken.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Tiggum posted:

And if you go to the emergency room, you have to pay for that, right? But they can't just kick you out or refuse to treat you? So what happens if you can't pay for that?

I had to get stitches on my finger in the middle of the night so I went to the hospital. After they numbed me and stitched it up, the told me to keep it clean and had me sign a piece of paper. I got a bill for $1,100 a few days later which I didn't get payed off in time. It went into collections, then I got served with papers. I misread them and didn't reply in time (stupid!) and they got a default judgement against me. Now they're going to garnish my paycheck and take a small amount each time I get paid. I'm not too worried since it's not very much money, but if you rack up enough you either declare bankruptcy or be in debt forever. It's still a bad mark on my credit but I don't plan on financing anything for quite a while. It's not too hard to rack it up either, someone hitting my car and sending my to the hospital cost upwards of $10,000. I know people who have several times that much in their name and they're only in their early to mid 20s.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Ok, no more posts about how American healthcare sucks, we all know it sucks. If you want to continue discussion, take it here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3424575

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to find some footage of Diane Rehm before she developed spasmodic dysphonia. Everything I can find on youtube is just her talking about having it. Any ideas where else I could check?

e: realized that wasn't really a question

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
I have a purse with supposedly nickel hardware, originally very shiny silver. Over time the zipper itself has begun to turn a matte gold, white the zipper pull is turning a matte muted pink. Is this normal oxidation of nickel? Why would the two pieces turn different colors if they're the same material, does the fact that my fingers are often in contact with the pull and not the zipper make a difference? How should I clean it?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tshirt Ninja posted:

I have a purse with supposedly nickel hardware, originally very shiny silver. Over time the zipper itself has begun to turn a matte gold, white the zipper pull is turning a matte muted pink. Is this normal oxidation of nickel? Why would the two pieces turn different colors if they're the same material, does the fact that my fingers are often in contact with the pull and not the zipper make a difference? How should I clean it?

The zipper itself is probably brass with a coating on it that has worn off. Not sure about the pull.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
The weird thing is that the bag's got two zippers - one that opens the main compartment, and one decorative one on the shoulder strap. Both are yellowing to roughly the same degree along the edges of the teeth closest to the bag, even though the shoulder strap zipper hasn't ever been zipped/unzipped and so doesn't encounter any wear.

The bag is from a high-end designer brand, so unless the zipper isn't included in "hardware", I can't imagine it's coated brass. But if it is, is there any way to restore that coating?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A seamstress/tailor may be able to attach a new zipper for you. Although I'm pretty sure a brass zipper is both more expensive and more durable than a nickel zipper. Given that nickel is an inexpensive metal, I would imagine that they were touting it based on the color rather than the fact that the hardware was real nickel.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
After a bit of research I'm under the impression that nickel itself is somewhat uncommon for use in zippers, but the copper/nickel alloy 'nickel silver' is a very common plating agent in high-quality silverware and zippers (usually on a base of steel or brass). Having the whole zipper replaced, as Flash Gordon Ramsay suggested, seems like a good idea.

You'll probably get a more well-informed response in here, seems like there are a decent number of people who know about clothing upkeep and metals.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Some species of sharks have dark backs and light bellies. I'm told that this is for camouflage. Viewed from above, the shark is hidden by the dark ocean depths. Viewed from below, it is hidden by sunlight. But humpback whales also display this same pattern. Why would a baleen whale need to camouflage himself?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

Some species of sharks have dark backs and light bellies. I'm told that this is for camouflage. Viewed from above, the shark is hidden by the dark ocean depths. Viewed from below, it is hidden by sunlight. But humpback whales also display this same pattern. Why would a baleen whale need to camouflage himself?

Whales are vulnerable to some (large) predators when young; presumably this results in selection pressure for concealing colouration, which they keep as they age.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
What is the least viscous of all the organic oils? Sperm oil?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
What compels some delivery drivers to just lie and say they tried to deliver a package, rather than just delivering the loving package?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Centzon Totochtin posted:

What compels some delivery drivers to just lie and say they tried to deliver a package, rather than just delivering the loving package?

Quotas most likely or they're just lazy fucks.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

Could also be that it's someone else's problem tomorrow, which pretty much settles the course of (in)action.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Each UPS package has a built in SEP field generator.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Golbez posted:

*phone rings*
Boss: Yeah?
[henchman speaks to him; we don't get to hear it]
[Boss hangs up]

Bit late to this, but the usual work around for this is to have the boss make some sort of confirmation and give some sort of order. Something like "Okay, thanks for letting me know. Keep an eye out for him."

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
I recently got a couple music posters that don't have even measurements and I'm looking to frame them.

Poster #1
17 7/8"
24 3/8"

Poster #2
20 1/4"
28 5/8"

I was looking into buying some frames online, but nothing exactly the size I need.

I was looking at these frames:
http://www.amazon.com/Craig-Frames-24-Inch-Poster-1-Inch/dp/B003GF8K6C/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

The closest ones are within an inch of what I need.

What should I do??
Maybe get a mat for each?

ROOMBA floorvac fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 1, 2012

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
I tend to get frames 1-2" too large on each side, and then center my paintings/posters/postcards on a matte background.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

What do you mean "some"?

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
I got a new set of headphones, and they're pretty decent, except anytime I play something like a youtube or other video in a browser, the sound is mono instead of stereo. Stereo works fine in iTunes. What gives?

e: vimeo works fine.

An observer fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 1, 2012

White Kid Polo
Mar 28, 2006

you must take me to taco bell and i am not kidding
I'm from Alabama and I'll be going to school in Michigan starting January. What are some good types/brands of jackets to get? And other cold-weather stuff.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Tiggum posted:

What do you mean "some"?

Cool, and FedEx called me to tell me that their driver says he tried to deliver it so they're going to take his word and I have to go to one of their stores to pick up. FedEx: a good company!

Titan Coeus
Jul 30, 2007

check out my horn

An observer posted:

I got a new set of headphones, and they're pretty decent, except anytime I play something like a youtube or other video in a browser, the sound is mono instead of stereo. Stereo works fine in iTunes. What gives?

e: vimeo works fine.

Do you have an example video?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
First-world problem here.

I have around 10 iPads that I have to keep charged/synched/up-to-date with the various tools we use at the company. Is there any kind of... compact rack for this kind of thing? I'm thinking of something like a filing tray with an iPad charger in the back or something, so I can just stack them up and save desk space.

Titan Coeus
Jul 30, 2007

check out my horn

tarepanda posted:

I have around 10 iPads that I have to keep charged/synched/up-to-date with the various tools we use at the company. Is there any kind of... compact rack for this kind of thing? I'm thinking of something like a filing tray with an iPad charger in the back or something, so I can just stack them up and save desk space.

Uh I found this but I have a feeling you'd rather not pay that much: http://www.camcor.com/cat/Parasync-...I10-02NAP2.html

Something like this might work as well: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM5654856701P?sid=IDx20101019x00001d&srccode=cii_123837234&cpncode=27-123634710-2

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

tarepanda posted:

http://www.cymax.com/vertical-desk-top-sorter--C0.htm

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

White Kid Polo posted:

I'm from Alabama and I'll be going to school in Michigan starting January. What are some good types/brands of jackets to get? And other cold-weather stuff.

I don't really pay attention to what's stylish for myself, but I think every college kid in Madison, Wisconsin was consistently outfitted with North Face jackets/coats in the last five years. I'm not sure if Ugg boots are still in or if the backlash finally toppled the empire, but I understand they're pretty warm and cozy. When I decided I would get serious about hiking in cool weather, I got a Marmot jacket but otherwise I chose form over function and wore some thick lined leather thing from Wilson's.

Whatever you ultimately go with--and no matter if you're dropping extra for a brand name--you'll want a coat that is warm and that wind won't easily cut through. If you snoop around the sites I linked, you'll find in the product descriptions if they're good for layering (and what they should be layered with), or if they're the Ultimate Indestructible Winter Coat and work from there.

Don't be too cool to get a good knit cap, and if you cherish your fingers, don't forget gloves. Even if you're driving yourself rather than walking around campus, you will need these things as you become intimate with the daily process of warming up your car, scraping ice and snow off the windshield, and hating everything in your life that got you to this point.

Helpful start?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

White Kid Polo posted:

In addition to what Liebfraumilch said, wear pajama bottoms under your jeans. They make a great extra layer.

Get a good pair of snowboots and wind-proof jacket/gloves. I've never really been a scarf person, but someone unused to cold weather might want more face protection.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Scarves also keep the neck of your coat/jacket from leaking any cold air

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Buy good socks

http://www.smartwool.com/

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

White Kid Polo posted:

If you don't like scarves, then get a neck cover like this http://www.amazon.com/Harley-Davids...rds=neck+shield

I guess they get called neck shields or neck gaiters? But basically they'll do similar things as scarves without also dangling and such.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
As a longtime FireFox user should I start using Google Chrome? Is it really any better or is it just user preference? I read the YOSPOS thread comparing them but that turned out to be...less than helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I'm starting to wonder if the only reason I keep using Firefox is inertia, and SALR.

Edit: There's an SALR Chrome, you say? :monocle: