Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Saint Darwin posted:

So odd questions, but for you folks who work a desk job, what do you do for lunch? I got a bunch of decent ramen bricks and ate them but the sodium kills me and they're not very filling. Today I brought in one of my containers of slow cooked chicken, heated it up with some frozen vegetables I keep here and threw it on instant rice and threw some ginger sesame seasoning on top and it's pretty good. However, I'm weird and can't eat the same thing days in a row.

Just trying to eat a bit more healthy while saving money.

Sandwiches, stirfries on rice, soups, stews, charcuterie and cheese, salads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Hollis Brown posted:

Are you a vegetarian? How about some anchovies on top to boost the protein instead :can:.

Not Vegetarian, Just want an excuse to eat some Pizza and if it has lots of protein thats a good one.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

fritzov posted:

I do a lot of cooking but it's nothing advanced.

I do a lot of half fabricate and other crap, if not i have maybe 5 or 6 different dishes i do (meatballs, pasta and meat sauce and other easy stuff).

Now i wanna start cooking for real. Cook everything from scratch etc.

Where should i start to learn?

Buy this cookbook: http://www.amazon.com/Ad-Hoc-Home-Thomas-Keller/dp/1579653774

Everything Thomas Keller touches is absolute gold.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
putting the extra protein on top of the pizza instead of in the crust is a lot less complicated and less likely to compromise the pizza. make a sauce like a bolognese but with mexican chorizo and then crack a few eggs on top before you bake it. It will be delicious and laden with protein

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:

Saint Darwin posted:

So odd questions, but for you folks who work a desk job, what do you do for lunch? I got a bunch of decent ramen bricks and ate them but the sodium kills me and they're not very filling. Today I brought in one of my containers of slow cooked chicken, heated it up with some frozen vegetables I keep here and threw it on instant rice and threw some ginger sesame seasoning on top and it's pretty good. However, I'm weird and can't eat the same thing days in a row.

Just trying to eat a bit more healthy while saving money.

For my two-person household, I make 4-6 person sized dinners and pack up leftovers. I almost never cook something special just for bringing to work.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Charmmi posted:

For my two-person household, I make 4-6 person sized dinners and pack up leftovers. I almost never cook something special just for bringing to work.

A thousand times this.

Also, I buy these by the case:
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/16-oz-newspring-sd5016y-delitainer-clear-round-deli-container-480-cs/128L5016Y%20%20%20BULK480.html

$48 for 480 containers + $24 for the lids (separate) comes down to $0.15/container. The equivalent ziploc/gladware containers are almost a buck each. So buy a case of these and split it with a friend.

I do a shitton of cooking and make stock and store it in handy pint-sized blocks in these things. When I make spaghetti I portion out the leftovers for lunches in 'em. Soup? Double-motherfuckin-check. A case lasts me about 5 years.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
And leftovers are usually cheaper, more nutrituous, and tastier.
(Brick) Ramen tastes like giving up.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Well maybe, but not necessarily. Eating JUST ramen is giving up. I dice up some veg, carrots, celery, green onion, frozen peas, corn, whatever. Also any leftover boiled eggs, beef, chicken, pork, anything. One pack of ramen, a big helping of vegetables, and a few slices of meat. Add a little soy sauce, hot sauce, and a drop of sesame oil or hoisin and you will have coworkers commenting on every meal. Then you can say, "it's just ramen noodles." And for repeat offenders, "the 'serving suggestion' on the package is not just there for decoration."

I grew up eating poo poo ramen, I like poo poo ramen, but I like dressing it up. I've been known to even throw away the flavor packet and use homemade stock instead.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Buy this cookbook: http://www.amazon.com/Ad-Hoc-Home-Thomas-Keller/dp/1579653774

Everything Thomas Keller touches is absolute gold.

This is a good post. That is a good book.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
O poo poo, don't think I don't eat me some bricks. I have a nongshim sitting right next to me here at work for an emergency.
Even when I was a kid, though, it was one of the first things I experimented with, cooking-wise. "These are pretty good, but I bet I could make it taste like pad thai with some of the poo poo in the fridge and pantry."
It sounded like he was eating it every day. I don't think that the noodles have a lot of nutritional value - a shitload of some kind of starch, a little fat, a little sugar, and some salt.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

pr0k posted:

I grew up eating poo poo ramen, I like poo poo ramen, but I like dressing it up. I've been known to even throw away the flavor packet and use homemade stock instead.

The flavor packets are poo poo. If you don't wanna do homemade stock, using a bouillon cube would taste better than that garbage.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Very Strange Things posted:

O poo poo, don't think I don't eat me some bricks. I have a nongshim sitting right next to me here at work for an emergency.
Even when I was a kid, though, it was one of the first things I experimented with, cooking-wise. "These are pretty good, but I bet I could make it taste like pad thai with some of the poo poo in the fridge and pantry."
It sounded like he was eating it every day. I don't think that the noodles have a lot of nutritional value - a shitload of some kind of starch, a little fat, a little sugar, and some salt.

Well I do have a bunch of frozen chicken breasts and vegetables in the freezer here (the huge stupid bags from Costco) so it's not like I was just cramming the noodles in my mouth alone. I should have clarified.

I was doing sandwiches for a while but I can only do that for so long before I go crazy. I try to bring left overs but ~*~*~ my girlfriend ~*~*~ actually makes fun of me for forgetting the stuff I pack the night before 9 times out of 10. I managed to remember the chicken I made last night because the house smelled like chicken from the stock that's forming in the pot.

Anyway I might just try to get better at leftovers and get that 480 count of disposable containers. We have a ton of Tupperwear, but 99% of it is from Chinese food or restaurants and while it claims its reusable, the containers get literally chalky after a few uses, and the $4 airtight super clamping containers from H Mart are, well, $4 each and all in use.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Couscous with some fresh veg like tomato and cucumber and some chicken breast diced into it. Feta works really well too. Throw on a dressing of whatever you want. Takes no time at all as well if you omit the chicken.

You can add far more if you want roasted veg and such but I'm lazy and don't get bored eating the same thing for lunch every day

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

pr0k posted:

A thousand times this.

Also, I buy these by the case:
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/16-oz-newspring-sd5016y-delitainer-clear-round-deli-container-480-cs/128L5016Y%20%20%20BULK480.html

$48 for 480 containers + $24 for the lids (separate) comes down to $0.15/container. The equivalent ziploc/gladware containers are almost a buck each. So buy a case of these and split it with a friend.

I do a shitton of cooking and make stock and store it in handy pint-sized blocks in these things. When I make spaghetti I portion out the leftovers for lunches in 'em. Soup? Double-motherfuckin-check. A case lasts me about 5 years.
This site is awesome. I just did a search for something based on the number of chickens it would hold/cook at once.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
Any ideas for a seafood stew? Preferably with shrimp + fish that I can serve with white rice.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Saint Darwin posted:

Well I do have a bunch of frozen chicken breasts and vegetables in the freezer here (the huge stupid bags from Costco) so it's not like I was just cramming the noodles in my mouth alone. I should have clarified.

I was doing sandwiches for a while but I can only do that for so long before I go crazy. I try to bring left overs but ~*~*~ my girlfriend ~*~*~ actually makes fun of me for forgetting the stuff I pack the night before 9 times out of 10. I managed to remember the chicken I made last night because the house smelled like chicken from the stock that's forming in the pot.

Anyway I might just try to get better at leftovers and get that 480 count of disposable containers. We have a ton of Tupperwear, but 99% of it is from Chinese food or restaurants and while it claims its reusable, the containers get literally chalky after a few uses, and the $4 airtight super clamping containers from H Mart are, well, $4 each and all in use.

Do you drive or lock the door before work? Put your keys in the fridge with your lunch.
Alternativly, make a few lunch kits that you can store. Bring a small bag of fresh stuff to add for variety. Possibly freeze some leftovers and then bring them a couple of times a week, even if its the same thing on Monday and Friday, it won't be too bad for repeats.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?
Any good "fall cookie" recipes? I'm going to visit the girlfriend tomorrow and was looking at fall cookie recipes online and had a few ideas that struck me, but nothing that spectacular.

I'd love to do something with apple and cinnamon - but I have zero clue how to work fruit into cookies, or if it's even possible. I'm trying to avoid bars and cupcakes and just stick to basic cookies. So, Goons with Spoons any ideas, suggestions, or recipes?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I have a pack of eggs. They say "Best by Nov 02" on the package. How long do I have to eat the rest before they try to kill me?

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

loopsheloop posted:

Any ideas for a seafood stew? Preferably with shrimp + fish that I can serve with white rice.

Jambalaya or Bouillabaisse!

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

Wolfy posted:

I have a pack of eggs. They say "Best by Nov 02" on the package. How long do I have to eat the rest before they try to kill me?

I rarely look at use by dates as a hard barrier, you're probably fine for a few more days.
Your best bet is to hard boil whatever you have left. Older eggs are easier to peel, and it will push back that use by date even further.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009

Wolfy posted:

Depending on where they've been produced, climate and how and where you've been storing them they'll usually last from days up to months, barring anything extraordinary.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Jmcrofts posted:

The flavor packets are poo poo. If you don't wanna do homemade stock, using a bouillon cube would taste better than that garbage.

Depends (and this has been discussed before), there are good ones and there are bad ones. I like the nong shim shin ramyun, the japanese nissin ones like the sukiyaki, tonkatsu, miso, XO sauce, and tokyo shoyu, the mama brand tom yum, and the tung-i chinese beef flavor. Eating them plain is always sad, add some bok choy, some shredded pork shouder, a soft boiled egg, scallions, wood ear mushrooms, shiitakes, etc and they're quite tasty when you're in a hurry/lazy/etc.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Wolfy posted:

Eggs are forever. Eat the eggs.

Didion posted:

Depending on where they've been produced, climate and how and where you've been storing them they'll usually last from days up to months, barring anything extraordinary.
See? They last forever. Eat all the eggs.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Going to stay up late here in the UK to watch the US election. Any of you have ideas for food that'd be a good idea for such a late night long haul endeavour with booze?

I was thinking boston bakes beans like the recipe here (scroll down a little):
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2006/dec/09/features.weekend1 but thought I might as well ask for any other ideas. No chicken wings though, please, had them too much!

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003

NLJP posted:

Going to stay up late here in the UK to watch the US election. Any of you have ideas for food that'd be a good idea for such a late night long haul endeavour with booze?

I was thinking boston bakes beans like the recipe here (scroll down a little):
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2006/dec/09/features.weekend1 but thought I might as well ask for any other ideas. No chicken wings though, please, had them too much!

We're going with stereotype dinner here: Chicago deep dish pizza (for Obama), and Jello for dessert (for Romney). The pizza/casserole goes well with booze, of course. You could make it be Jello shots but then it's non-mormon.

Mormons stereotypically have jello for dessert. For bonus points, add grapes or walnuts to it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
In both Canada and Australia I have numerous times eaten eggs that had a best buy date at least a month before said date of consumption and been fine.

But I only eat free range soooo :smug:

I know this probably has zero to do with eggs being forever

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't know brand names since I can't read the alphabet, but all the Thai ramen I've had has been fantastic (by package of ramen standards). If you see some I highly recommend grabbing one of each and trying them out.

Clever Gamma
Mar 23, 2008

loopsheloop posted:

This is the best seafood stew I've ever had. Granted, you need a crockpot, but it's seriously good.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

CuddleChunks posted:

Eggs are forever. Eat the eggs.

See? They last forever. Eat all the eggs.

It's true. I recently ate some eggs and then realized they'd expired October 15th. Still totally fine. But you can always check by putting them in water. If the egg floats, that is a bad bad whoa bad egg.

NLJP posted:

The broken hearts of sane persons everywhere.

Actually, bruschetta might also be pretty good.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Does anyone have any good tips for making fondue better? For some reason, it always seems to separate into two layers.

Here's the recipe:

400g Gruyère
250g Emmental
300ml dry white wine
3 tsp cornflour
1 clove garlic, minced
20ml kirsch
Black pepper

Grate the cheese, add 2/3 of the wine and melt together
Make a cornflour slurry with the remaining wine and stir into the cheese/wine mix
Add the kirsch and loads of pepper
Dig in with bread cubes

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Wolfy posted:

Drop the egg gently (and with its shell on, of course) into a glass of water. The more quickly it sinks, the fresher it is, and it's fine to eat unless it floats. You now have no need to waste another egg ever again!

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Scientastic posted:

Does anyone have any good tips for making fondue better? For some reason, it always seems to separate into two layers.

Is it curdling and getting nasty with a thick layer of separated oil on top? It may be that you're not making a proper roux with the starch and/or you're heating up the fondue too much. Excessive heat tends to separate the oil from the cheese. Try lowering the heat while you're melting the cheese. A few more minutes during the process and you'll have much better melted cheese. The heat should definitely be lower than boiling/simmering. If you see it bubbling at all after the cheese is in it, it's likely too hot.

I also make the roux, then add the liquid, and finally add the cheese. Melting the cheese first sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Mind you, I've only made cheese sauces for things like scalloped potatoes and nachos, but fondue should be similar.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 3, 2012

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mach420 posted:

fondue should be similar.

Thanks for the effort, and I don't want to be a dick, but they're not really that similar. There's no roux and no béchamel. And the heat is regulated by the fact the whole thing takes place in a bain-marie.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Scientastic posted:

Thanks for the effort, and I don't want to be a dick, but they're not really that similar. There's no roux and no béchamel. And the heat is regulated by the fact the whole thing takes place in a bain-marie.

My bad then, I thought that it was mostly the same. :(

fritzov
Oct 24, 2010

Hollis Brown posted:

You could try a cook book. How to cook everything by Mark Bittman, for instance,

Thanks for the tip, i just bought it for my iPad and it looks great. Can't wait to get started.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I also hear tell that if you shake an egg and hear a liquid sloshing sound it's off.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Another emulsifier would help, as well as more acid. Try this:

450g gruyère cheese, grated
450g comte cheese, grated
15g cornflour
30ml manzanilla sherry
2 sprigs thyme
3 cloves garlic, bashed
500ml white wine
20ml lemon juice
5g English mustard powder
Pinch of ground cloves

In a bowl, mix the grated cheeses with the cornflour.

Bring the sherry to a simmer in a small saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add the thyme and garlic then remove from the heat and leave to infuse for 10 minutes. Strain and allow to cool.

Bring the wine and lemon juice to the boil in a medium saucepan, and add the cheese, a handful at a time, whisking continuously until smooth and creamy.

Add the infused sherry, mustard powder and ground cloves to the cheese and wine and continue to whisk until the fondue thickens.

Transfer to a fondue pot and serve with cornichons, cubes of sourdough bread and crudités.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Would sodium citrate help there?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chemmy posted:

Would sodium citrate help there?

Definitely. A little corn starch or condensed milk would help too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Two questions: Is there anything really specific I should look for or avoid in a handheld potato masher (metals, designs, etc)? And can you leave potato skins on in colcannon without making it taste terrible?