Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Anyone else have an issue where their Bionic upgraded to ICS and the wifi network notifications won't shut off? I can uncheck it to notify me, but the secure networks notification is checked and greyed out, so I cannot uncheck it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

kbar posted:

I thought about doing this, but it's just too ridiculous. An overpriced Maxx HD is probably the only good choice for me. :(

Jesus...the GS3 is big enough as it is...that must be like carrying a hardcover book around in your pocket.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Mighty Horse posted:

Jesus...the GS3 is big enough as it is...that must be like carrying a hardcover book around in your pocket.

Haha, that reminds me of the 3600 mAh extended battery I bought for my Thunderbolt. Yeah, it made it a huge ugly brick but at least I was able to go 24+ hours with heavy usage. :v:

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Eltoasto posted:

Anyone else have an issue where their Bionic upgraded to ICS and the wifi network notifications won't shut off? I can uncheck it to notify me, but the secure networks notification is checked and greyed out, so I cannot uncheck it.

I got that just after the update; I think if you do something that forces wifi on when it's disabled, you'll get a popup asking about automatic connections.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Is there really any development now?

I honestly don't care. I buy devices for what they are, not what they could be down the line.

If, sometime in the far flung future, I can get a good community ROM on it to make up for any lack of updates, it will be a bonus. Otherwise, I'll just move on.
This is a curiously cavalier attitude from someone dropping $700 a pop on smartphones. We certainly haven't seen the ceiling of mobile hardware -- far from it -- but things are slowing down considerably. Phones with 2010 hardware (O.G. Galaxy S models, Nexus S) are still capable of offering a competent-enough Jelly Bean experience. It's pretty much batshit ridiculous for anything dual-core or better not to be. The analogy's been beaten to death, but it's tantamount to a year-old laptop being suddenly unable to receive Windows service packs.

Couple that with Google's recent commitment to supporting a Snapdragon S4-based Nexus device for the next year, and the idea that you or anyone else should have to "just move on" from a $700 device that should bear a 3-year usable lifespan is terribly befuddling.

It's frustrating that they've managed to avoid offering a device with an unlocked bootloader and a huge battery. Perhaps it's more frustrating that nobody but Motorola is taking battery life seriously.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What can I say, I'm beyond giving a poo poo at this point. I don't really view community support as a hell of a lot higher than no support. Something ALWAYS doesn't loving work right or there's some app incompatibility or some other compromise that has to be accepted in order to do a community ROM.

Unless you have a Nexus from the play store, you are a 2nd class Android citizen. A play store Nexus isn't possible on Verizon. Therefore I accept what there is or move on from Verizon or Android (the former is a very likely possibility.)

If the fall of next year gives something amazing in the world of android and motorola isn't updating the Razr HD anymore, I have zero issue at that point porting my number and going with a provider that isn't so restrictive with hardware. I'll lose unlimited, but it will be better than feeding Verizon anymore.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
The bet I'm willing to make is that as time goes on Motorola becomes the gold standard in manufacturer support. Google pushes them on a path of minimizing the presence of Blur with every iteration until it's basically stock, and updates follow very soon after the nexus devices and people on Verizon flock to Motorola for lack of a better (nexus) option while the rest of the manufacturers see this and move to emulate it.

I know that's a pipedream, but I think at the very least Motorola - under Google's control - will begin to try to be a manufacturer of stock android devices that aren't nexii.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Speaking of Motorola and updates, first JB leak for the RAZR HD is out.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/11/01/first-jelly-bean-build-leaks-for-the-droid-razr-hd/

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Odd question:

My brother wants an iPhone 5 or RAZR Maxx and we figured to split my Share Everything plan to save some $$$ (an estimated $15/mo each). He saw my awesome speeds while I was visiting his house and he decided he needs to switch.

I live in CA. He lives in WI. I assume he'll want to save his curret number. He's on month-to-month with US Cellular. Is this easily done even though we live in different states and he'll be porting a number?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Blinkman987 posted:

Odd question:

My brother wants an iPhone 5 or RAZR Maxx and we figured to split my Share Everything plan to save some $$$ (an estimated $15/mo each). He saw my awesome speeds while I was visiting his house and he decided he needs to switch.

I live in CA. He lives in WI. I assume he'll want to save his curret number. He's on month-to-month with US Cellular. Is this easily done even though we live in different states and he'll be porting a number?

Yeah its fine. I have a kansas number on an Iowa plan, which was Cali before, which was arizona before that. Verizon dont care, they'll make it work.

Worst case, He gives you his info and you call verizon and do the port and order the phone.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 2, 2012

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I am about to bite the bullet and get myself an iPhone 5. I have a "family plan" where my wife has an iPhone 4; and we are still on unlimited data.

I could have sworn I saw someone here post that there was trickery I could do to get the new phone at a cheaper price, without losing unlimited data. Something like add a new line for $10 a month, then switch the transfer or something? I don't know, perhaps I dreamed this?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I am about to bite the bullet and get myself an iPhone 5. I have a "family plan" where my wife has an iPhone 4; and we are still on unlimited data.

I could have sworn I saw someone here post that there was trickery I could do to get the new phone at a cheaper price, without losing unlimited data. Something like add a new line for $10 a month, then switch the transfer or something? I don't know, perhaps I dreamed this?

Add a new line to the account, buy iPhone 5 with that new line. Have Verizon do an equipment change to move the iPhone 5 to the desired line. From there you can either decide to pay an ETF fee to remove that line or just pay $10/month over 2 years.

Apparently some people are able to retain their unlimited plans even when upgrading but your milage may vary.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Lblitzer posted:

Add a new line to the account, buy iPhone 5 with that new line. Have Verizon do an equipment change to move the iPhone 5 to the desired line. From there you can either decide to pay an ETF fee to remove that line or just pay $10/month over 2 years.

Apparently some people are able to retain their unlimited plans even when upgrading but your milage may vary.

Paying $240 over two years sure does sound better than paying $800 for an iPhone.

Any idea how people managed to keep unlimited data when upgrading? Were they just crossing their fingers or is there a way they can tell online before agreeing?

Thank you so much.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Paying $240 over two years sure does sound better than paying $800 for an iPhone.

Any idea how people managed to keep unlimited data when upgrading? Were they just crossing their fingers or is there a way they can tell online before agreeing?

Thank you so much.

Honestly I don't know, I may be even remembering it incorrectly but I know for a fact AT&T is allowing customers to keep their unlimited data. I believe Verizon is allowing people to keep them if they are upgrading to the iPhone but someone else will have to chime in on that.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Thank you so much.

I did it via the 2 upgrade-ready lines method: I got the 5 at a subsidized price on my non-data plan line then did an ESN to my line, which has unlimited. This let me keep the unlimited, and I was able to drop the data plan from the other line so I wasn't paying extra each month.

I'm pretty sure the "add a new line then transfer" method works, I've seen some people here talking about it. I'd say do it in store at an official Verizon store. I wouldn't trust ordering online to keep unlimited, if something goes wrong you may not notice right away.

As a side note, when I did it the salesman was able to use a new nano-SIM to do the ESN without a 24 hour wait. He said that if something went wrong and it nixed my unlimited, he'd cancel the switch and make sure the unlimited got back on the line.

AFAIK you have around 14 days to cancel a new plan and get back your old if you lose unlimited. I haven't tested it out, but keep that in mind if something gets screwed up.

E: if you do a direct upgrade (on one line), you will lose unlimited. It's unfortunate and makes things more complicated. Also, if you do a 2-line switch make sure they do an ESN. I've heard some people say Verizon tried to do an upgrade transfer if they didn't specify, which will kill unlimited.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 2, 2012

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Oh crap, I just realized they are still charging an extra 30 bucks a month to tether! I thought some FCC thing stopped that and that's why the iPhone had a built in app. drat it. Going to have to wait for iPhone 5 jailbreak :(

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Oh crap, I just realized they are still charging an extra 30 bucks a month to tether! I thought some FCC thing stopped that and that's why the iPhone had a built in app. drat it. Going to have to wait for iPhone 5 jailbreak :(
It's free if you're on the new share plans, but not free for unlimited. Dumb as hell in my opinion, but they're desperate to get people off of it.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
I was under the impression that if you had an individual account with unlimited data, when you try to add a $10 /month line, you were forced to switch to a share everything plan?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

AppleCobbler posted:

I was under the impression that if you had an individual account with unlimited data, when you try to add a $10 /month line, you were forced to switch to a share everything plan?

You can add a tiered data line.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

AlexDeGruven posted:

You can add a tiered data line.

I'm surprised that only adds $10 a month to the bill!

The Gasmask posted:

It's free if you're on the new share plans, but not free for unlimited. Dumb as hell in my opinion, but they're desperate to get people off of it.

Yeah that's nuts. I am used to just running PDANet on my current phone. I certainly am not looking forward to adding $40 a month to my bill to get the new iPhone. drat it! Just gotta wait for the iPhone 5 jailbreak I guess; which if it's anything like the AppleTV 3 jailbreak, it will never happen :sigh:

By the way I'd go to the local Verizon store but 1) they have no power still due to hurricane Sandy and 2) I had no idea that telling them I am looking to find a loophole around getting a subsidized phone would be met with warm response. Good to know! :)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Razr HD MAXX has arrived. Phone is re-installing all my apps right now. First impressions are very very nice.

The boot time on this thing is insane, I swear it was barely over 10 seconds.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

i have to wait until a week from Monday to get the HD Maxx. So frustrating! My Droid X is absolutely atrocious. I'm pretty sure my CM9 experience on Droid X is going to keep me away from ROMs for a long time (which is great because the Razr bootloader will probably be locked for a while).

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

You realize the 5 still costs $200/300/400 subsidized? It isn't $800 vs $240, it's more like $800 vs $300+$240+$35 upgrade fee.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Magic Underwear posted:

You realize the 5 still costs $200/300/400 subsidized? It isn't $800 vs $240, it's more like $800 vs $300+$240+$35 upgrade fee.

Which adds up to $575, still cheaper than $650, and you don't pay it all at once.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

kitten smoothie posted:

Which adds up to $575, still cheaper than $650, and you don't pay it all at once.

Yep, it still saves money, just wanted to point out that they don't just give you the phone for free.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

negativeneil posted:

i have to wait until a week from Monday to get the HD Maxx. So frustrating! My Droid X is absolutely atrocious. I'm pretty sure my CM9 experience on Droid X is going to keep me away from ROMs for a long time (which is great because the Razr bootloader will probably be locked for a while).

The only good rom for the old DX is liberty. Period. And honestly, The new Razr stock ICS and beyond roms are fantastic. Dont stress. :)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm pretty sure this phone is going to spoil me for any phone moving forward.

It had 46% battery out of the box. I let it restore all my apps over LTE (wifi signal is spotty at work sometimes and I didn't want the downloads interrupted.)

So, turned the phone on around 1pm and had 46% battery life left then.

Downloaded about 3gb of apps over LTE.

Installed them all.

Had about 2hrs 50 minutes of screen on time.

Also installed a system update in that time as well.

Phone finally died around 5:15.

Yes, the phone was only on for it bit over 4 hours before it died. But it downloaded and installed 3gb of apps over LTE while having about as much screen on time as my Galaxy Nexus usually did before yelling about needing a charger. All the while, it started at less than half capacity.

I let the thing charge fully and spent the remainder of the evening setting up the phone the way I like it. I am on wifi at home. I didn't leave it charge over the night like I normally would.

So, this afternoon I'm looking at 14 hours off charge with a little over 3 hours of screen on time and the phone was sitting at 57%. Of course, this is all over the first charge cycle as well and I can expect things to improve a bit as the phone calibrates.

Basically though. The HD MAXX will allow you to abuse the gently caress out of your battery during the course of the day and really not give a poo poo about charging it. You will be HARD PRESSED to drain the full battery during the course of a day. With normal usage patterns, I could see this thing lasting 3 days on a charge if not a little bit longer.

Also, I was struck with how much closer to stock still the Razr HD was over my Razr. There are just a few more small things here and there that make it feel closer to stock. If the leaked JB ROM is any indication, it's going to get closer still to stock (on screen buttons change back to stock, notification bar has some closer to stock icons and behavior for signal.)

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

That's my plan: abuse the hell out of the Maxx's battery privilege. Screen full brightness, sync accounts every 20 minutes, etc. etc. Everything I can think of that for years now I've been conservative with? No longer conservative with. Then I'll make a Tasker automation that sets everything to conserve as much battery as possible and only enable it when I think it's gonna be a long day.

Very much looking forward to battery woes being an absolute thing of the past.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
Is there a term for 4g withdrawal? I've gotten so accustomed to it in the last couple of weeks and now I'm heading back to Alaska for a few weeks.

Vzw needs to hurry up and light up their towers in AK.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Maxx HD Review

See, this is something I was thinking about when looking at my options. I can run anything I want on that thing and get the most out of my phone, where as on the galaxy nexus (which I had and returned) I had to run it at like 50% brightness, and 4 hours of like, just maybe going back and checking my email while it otherwise sat on standby at work slayed the battery completely.

It's almost as if it's a smartphone you can like... use as intended. Awesome little write up. You sold me on it :)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, doesn't seem SUPER impressive right? Almost 18 hours off charge, hell a lot of phones can do that.

However, at this point, there was a screen on time of 7hr 15min at max brightness. 2 1/2 hours of that was streaming netflix. On LTE.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

When buying from Amazon, there is that 181 day waiting period or they zap you with a $250 charge.

Do you have to keep a data plan active for that 181 days or just a $10/month line on it?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

kitten smoothie posted:

When buying from Amazon, there is that 181 day waiting period or they zap you with a $250 charge.

Do you have to keep a data plan active for that 181 days or just a $10/month line on it?
You have to keep your plan.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The plan you get from them has to be in effect for 181 days. Amazon isn't run by retards, you're going to have to try really hard to find some loophole to beat them with your one cent phone.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

stormrider posted:

Is there a term for 4g withdrawal? I've gotten so accustomed to it in the last couple of weeks and now I'm heading back to Alaska for a few weeks.

Vzw needs to hurry up and light up their towers in AK.

I just got back. Going from "extended network" to 3G after a month was pretty jarring.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks like one of our bloatware apps on our phones will be disappearing.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/11/05/verizon-shutting-the-doors-of-verizon-apps-next-year-we-say-its-about-time/

Verizon is shutting down their app store.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I am not good at phone things. I have a dumb-phone that I got the minimum 300MB a month data plan for.

Would I be able to activate an unlocked smart-phone of some kind and use that instead of the dumb-phone I have now?

The reason I ask is because even when I used to have a smart-phone on my previous provider (Sprint) I always used well less than 300MB a month. I'd like to change the phone I have, the software on the Samsung Intensity III is the worst I've ever seen on any device. Ever. Seeing as I do use the full suite of google related stuff I figured just finding a cheap older unlocked android based phone was the way to go. But, I don't really want to upgrade to a full on data plan for it as I don't ever use it enough to justify the increased cost.

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this but I don't really have a clue when it comes to this sort of thing.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Breaky posted:

Would I be able to activate an unlocked smart-phone of some kind and use that instead of the dumb-phone I have now?

Almost certainly not, and in no way will you get an Android. Maybe if you buy an old Windows 6.1 phone which may not tag your phone as requiring a data plan. You may want to consider pre-paid providers.

Also, you're comparing apples and oranges. The primary reason use less data on a dumbphone, there are less things on it that use data. It sounds like you may just want a smartphone experience with wifi only. In that case, consider an iPod Touch, Note, or just buying an Android phone used and never activating it or buying service for it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

WeaselWeaz posted:

Almost certainly not, and in no way will you get an Android. Maybe if you buy an old Windows 6.1 phone which may not tag your phone as requiring a data plan. You may want to consider pre-paid providers.

Also, you're comparing apples and oranges. The primary reason use less data on a dumbphone, there are less things on it that use data. It sounds like you may just want a smartphone experience with wifi only. In that case, consider an iPod Touch, Note, or just buying an Android phone used and never activating it or buying service for it.

Thanks. That's what I was kinda thinking, but really had no idea about.

Regarding data usage, when I had a smartphone (blackberry Curve 8330) I used less data than the current plan I am paying for by far. Even now I'm using less than 50mb a month typically. I know I'd be using less with a dumb phone vs smart, etc.

In that case any recommendations on an unlocked dumb phone brand or something besides the Intensity III? I literally am going to destroy the phone one day in a fit of rage. I could go on for several paragraphs about how terrible the software / texting options are but I'll just stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
A Blackberry that old is hardly comparable to a modern smartphone. I could easily blow through 300mb in a half hour just surfing the net and streaming music.

• Locked thread