Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

That sucks. I'm constantly worried about tumors now that Debbie is getting up there in age. I hope all goes well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagos
Mar 17, 2004

Hates Loud Noise
Gratuitous bunny toy video (sorry about vertical video. I'm an idiot):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Nkovzq4LRs

Her pen's a bit messy in this video because it's the day before I cleaned it, and she had just shredded an entire grass mat. Rabbits.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I love my local farmer's market. Once a week I go there and get Harriet a head of organic brocolli or kale or something, lasts about a week. This week I showed up, and not only did the guy recognize me, he gave me a huge bag of broken brocolli tops, carrots, and other stuff they were gonna toss out for free for Harriet. She's been eating it all which relish

Edit: Also, surprisingly, Harriet loves Gangam style. Like, I'll play it, and she's jump up and start binkying.

Silverfish
May 23, 2005
graaaaaaaagh
I acquired a stray rabbit recently (well, about 7 months ago) - she was found wandering on the street, and a lady brought her in to her garden but couldn't keep her or find a no-kill rescue that could take her, so I took her in having a secure garden, got her spayed, and got her all her shots, with the intention of bringing her to an animal rescue.
That didn't happen!

She was happy enough living outdoors in a large secure insulated covered hutch, but recently we've had a bit of a cold snap with temps reaching 30 degrees F so I'm moving her indoors. We have a bathroom we don't use, its 6 foot by 4 foot, would she be okay in there?

To add, it does have lino on the floor, she's not a fan of lino ( her hutch is carpeted) so we've carpeted the bathroom now for her.

Silverfish fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 3, 2012

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

Silverfish posted:

I acquired a stray rabbit recently (well, about 7 months ago) - she was found wandering on the street, and a lady brought her in to her garden but couldn't keep her or find a no-kill rescue that could take her, so I took her in having a secure garden, got her spayed, and got her all her shots, with the intention of bringing her to an animal rescue.
That didn't happen!

She was happy enough living outdoors in a large secure insulated covered hutch, but recently we've had a bit of a cold snap with temps reaching 30 degrees F so I'm moving her indoors. We have a bathroom we don't use, its 6 foot by 4 foot, would she be okay in there?

To add, it does have lino on the floor, she's not a fan of lino ( her hutch is carpeted) so we've carpeted the bathroom now for her.

It sounds like you're already pretty taken with her so why not just make her into a fulltime housebunny (she will have an exponentially longer life).

She can be littertrained - especially since she is already spayed - and can become a friendly and happy part of your family if you give her a chance!

Silverfish
May 23, 2005
graaaaaaaagh
She is littertrained too, that was easy enough to do, I was hoping that being littertrained and spayed that she'd find a home easier - which I suppose she did!

The trouble with her being a fulltime housebunny is I have lots and lots of fishtanks, and lots and lots of electrical items, so that's a lot of cables for a little bun to chew on, and also we're hoarders. And renters. So I'm hoping since she's confined to an empty room with nothing to destroy that she'll be okay - we actually just moved her up there (she was in our downstairs bathroom but she'd just hide under a little table) and she was exploring and happy, so she likes the carpet at least!

I'm hoping we can buy a house soon so I can have a specific bun room that's rabbit proofed, but we're stuck here for the next 12 months at least.

Here she is watching me read outside last summer:

Silverfish fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 3, 2012

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Silverfish posted:

She is littertrained too, that was easy enough to do, I was hoping that being littertrained and spayed that she'd find a home easier - which I suppose she did!

The trouble with her being a fulltime housebunny is I have lots and lots of fishtanks, and lots and lots of electrical items, so that's a lot of cables for a little bun to chew on, and also we're hoarders. And renters. So I'm hoping since she's confined to an empty room with nothing to destroy that she'll be okay - we actually just moved her up there (she was in our downstairs bathroom but she'd just hide under a little table) and she was exploring and happy, so she likes the carpet at least!

I'm hoping we can buy a house soon so I can have a specific bun room that's rabbit proofed, but we're stuck here for the next 12 months at least.

Here she is watching me read outside last summer:

She's beautiful! What a lovely coat. Thanks for taking care of her properly instead of just shoving her outside.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Your bun is chill as gently caress keep that bun.

Wanna pet that bun.

Silverfish
May 23, 2005
graaaaaaaagh
I decided the bathroom was too small for bun so I got some carpet tiles for our upstairs hallway so she can gallop around there as well. It's a small and narrow hall but she has more space.

Mr Silverfish isn't 100% happy but he's not a fluffy bun and fluffy buns always win, its just the way it is.

She is super-chilled, she's very well behaved. She was very anti-social when she first came to us, she wouldn't allow any petting or touching, and would run away if we came within a foot of her. She would hop into her hutch at night-time, but it did take some time before she got used to us. Eventually she'd come over and lie down next to us, or chase us, or we'd get bunny headbutts :swoon:

I've put a lot of work and effort into making her happy so far, she's not going anywhere now!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Well, I love having a friendly bun. Harriet actually hopped onto my bed while I was recovering from surgery last night. She even sat still and let me pet her with my good arm too. It's wonderful.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
My rabbits are much more skittish about people petting them too long or putting their hands on their back legs, but overall they are pretty chill. I learned real quick that if they get spooked and run off, they will come right back if you shake a treat bag. Its amazing how fast survival instincts wear off and "OH MY GOD MANGOS" kicks in.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Photos of our new bunnies as promised. The chocolate is Peanut, and the black/white is Snoopy!

Edit: Found one more of Snoopaloop.

Prawned fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Nov 5, 2012

voodoonoid
May 15, 2003

Turkeys fear me!
Woke up to Hass having a swollen eye. I'm hoping he just irritated it himself but I'm also a little worried since it's the first thing wrong with the guy since I got him. Gonna try and see if I can't get him to the vet.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

voodoonoid posted:

Woke up to Hass having a swollen eye. I'm hoping he just irritated it himself but I'm also a little worried since it's the first thing wrong with the guy since I got him. Gonna try and see if I can't get him to the vet.

Sascha, the one we just lost, got her eye swollen one time. The side of her cage had come unlatched so she jammed her bunny body through a 2 inch gap and ran off. She scratched her eye in the process. They gave some kind of antibiotic eye drops. She hated them but it cleared it up in a week.

Bunnies tend to smash their eyes into stuff, they also get hay debris in them since they are dumb and jam their faces into it without thinking. Hopefully its just that.

voodoonoid
May 15, 2003

Turkeys fear me!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Sascha, the one we just lost, got her eye swollen one time. The side of her cage had come unlatched so she jammed her bunny body through a 2 inch gap and ran off. She scratched her eye in the process. They gave some kind of antibiotic eye drops. She hated them but it cleared it up in a week.

Bunnies tend to smash their eyes into stuff, they also get hay debris in them since they are dumb and jam their faces into it without thinking. Hopefully its just that.

Hopefully. He's been acting normally if not more affectionate then he usually is. Got a carrier for him and have spent the evening getting him acquainted to it. The trip getting Hass to the vet is scaring me more then the actual visit since this is the first time I've had to transport the little dude.

Watching Hass now, he is in hyperactive bunny mode.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So....how do I keep my bunny from ripping green leafy stuff outta my hand when I try to put it in her food bowl? Like, I'll make sure she's outta the cage, on the other side of the apartment, yet, then as soon as I reach in, she'll run from nowhere, yank it all outta my hand then go hide somewhere in the apartment, eating it.

voodoonoid
May 15, 2003

Turkeys fear me!

bunnyofdoom posted:

So....how do I keep my bunny from ripping green leafy stuff outta my hand when I try to put it in her food bowl? Like, I'll make sure she's outta the cage, on the other side of the apartment, yet, then as soon as I reach in, she'll run from nowhere, yank it all outta my hand then go hide somewhere in the apartment, eating it.

Hass does the same thing. Best I can tell you is that there is a time limit. He'll run to one side, wait a few minutes and then run back thinking that food magically appears. If it doesn't happen, I've learned to use my body to block his way into the cage. But drat if bunnies aren't ninjas in disguise.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Bitsy will rip the piece that Paterson is eating out of his mouth. There will be a pile of greens on the floor infront of them but she wants THAT piece. It really confuses him.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
We give Cilantro greens on a tea saucer. When it's time for greens, we make the plate on the kitchen counter. She hovers around our feet begging for scraps then races us to her food mat when we leave the kitchen.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

well, my bun refuses to go into the kitchen, so maybe I should bring her food bowl in there, fill it with greens then put it back. Assuming she doesn't try to trip me, or take me down on the way to the cage.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Tubby Lumpkins will try to jump into the box with the herb mix in it when we open it. She's the fat one. Lils will hide from us. But they both rip food out of each others mouths because that was obviously the best piece, and they must have it.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
So it begins. Cilantro's in heavy shedding mode at the moment and she half-heartedly ate half of her breakfast this morning. She hasn't touched her dinner.

I emptied her litter box so we'd have a clean slate. I've already given her 1cc of Reglan/metoclopramide and I'm going to dose her one more time tonight before bed. If she STILL hasn't eaten her greens by morning, I'm taking her to the vet.

Wheeeeeee.

Morning Edit: A few small malformed poops and no enthusiasm for breakfast. Vet time! Oh boy.

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Nov 8, 2012

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Vet says she has a small hairball. Reglan and greens/hay and keep an eye on her for a few days.

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me
Is there any way to "correct" a rabbit? Holly is a ridiculously friendly and lovable rabbit, but she has a big problem with that instinctual get-out-of-my-way nipping. She will headbutt and bite you until you flinch and get out of her way. I know she might mellow out after she gets spayed, but I'm not sure an instinctual behavior like this will be fixed by spaying.

I feel a bit ridiculous getting bossed around by a 2-pound bunny rabbit.

pseudonordic posted:

Vet says she has a small hairball. Reglan and greens/hay and keep an eye on her for a few days.

Hope Cilantro gets better soon!

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Pig Boots posted:

Is there any way to "correct" a rabbit?

Nope.

Pig Boots posted:

I'm not sure an instinctual behavior like this will be fixed by spaying.

It makes a tremendous difference. Dominance behaviors are often exacerbated by hormone driven behaviors. I've had several very nippy rabbits go down to nearly zero biting after spay/neuter.

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me

alucinor posted:

Nope.

It makes a tremendous difference. Dominance behaviors are often exacerbated by hormone driven behaviors. I've had several very nippy rabbits go down to nearly zero biting after spay/neuter.

Had a feeling there wasn't, but I was hoping maybe there was something...guess you can train them to do things, but you can't train them to not do things? None of mine ever stopped the get-out-of-my-way nips after getting fixed (they never had a big problem with it to begin with, though), so I'm not super hopeful that this will stop :smith: .

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Pig Boots posted:

Had a feeling there wasn't, but I was hoping maybe there was something...guess you can train them to do things, but you can't train them to not do things? None of mine ever stopped the get-out-of-my-way nips after getting fixed (they never had a big problem with it to begin with, though), so I'm not super hopeful that this will stop :smith: .

You can typically only train them with positive reinforcement (I do something desired = I get treat), not with positive punishment (I do something bad = bad thing happens to me) or with negative punishment (I do something bad = something good gets taken away from me) because they are too drat dumb (and we are too drat slow) to correctly and consistently link the un-desired behavior to the reward or punishment.

You can try to react to a bite with a loud yelp, but she may not perceive that as something aversive enough to reduce the biting. Say you shove her, or put her back in her cage when she bites. She's highly unlikely to learn that it was the bite itself which led to her punishment or deprivation. She's far more likely to associate it with being picked up, approached by you, or approaching you; and instead of reducing the liklihood that she bites, you'll start to train her to avoid you altogether.

You can also try negative reinforcement (I do something desired = bad thing stops happening to me) but you have to be constantly on your guard. So if she approaches you and she looks like she's going to bite, you might do something slightly aversive, like raise your voice and say HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY. If she moves around you without biting, you stop chastising her. She may learn that if she approaches and moves past you without any biting behavior, she doesn't get scolded. The problem with this is, if you ever forget, get distracted, whatever, and the pairing of HEY HEY HEY and bite-behavior doesn't come often enough, the association won't be strong enough for her to learn. This type of training requires constant vigilance and sensitivity to her body language (you ONLY want to do this when she's acting bitey, not if she's approaching in a non-bitey manner) and frankly ain't nobody got time for that.

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me

alucinor posted:

You can typically only train them with positive reinforcement (I do something desired = I get treat), not with positive punishment (I do something bad = bad thing happens to me) or with negative punishment (I do something bad = something good gets taken away from me) because they are too drat dumb (and we are too drat slow) to correctly and consistently link the un-desired behavior to the reward or punishment.

You can try to react to a bite with a loud yelp, but she may not perceive that as something aversive enough to reduce the biting. Say you shove her, or put her back in her cage when she bites. She's highly unlikely to learn that it was the bite itself which led to her punishment or deprivation. She's far more likely to associate it with being picked up, approached by you, or approaching you; and instead of reducing the liklihood that she bites, you'll start to train her to avoid you altogether.

You can also try negative reinforcement (I do something desired = bad thing stops happening to me) but you have to be constantly on your guard. So if she approaches you and she looks like she's going to bite, you might do something slightly aversive, like raise your voice and say HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY. If she moves around you without biting, you stop chastising her. She may learn that if she approaches and moves past you without any biting behavior, she doesn't get scolded. The problem with this is, if you ever forget, get distracted, whatever, and the pairing of HEY HEY HEY and bite-behavior doesn't come often enough, the association won't be strong enough for her to learn. This type of training requires constant vigilance and sensitivity to her body language (you ONLY want to do this when she's acting bitey, not if she's approaching in a non-bitey manner) and frankly ain't nobody got time for that.

I usually yelp involuntarily (she always nips the most sensitive body parts, like my side or the inside of my arm, and that poo poo hurts!) and then kind of redirect her and hope she forgets that she wanted to get behind my back or whatever. Negative reinforcement sounds like a pain in the rear end and like it might be too negative/easy to gently caress up. She loves approaching people, climbing on them, sitting in their lap, etc, and I don't want to risk accidentally discouraging that.

Oh well.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

My dwarf likes to snuggle up close to me all cuddly like then starts biting my tits.

Oh and hooray for shedding season! This is what I pulled out of Billy in one day.

Of course he starts shedding like crazy RIGHT before I'm taking him to the vet, and pisses in the carrier on the way over, so I show up with an embarrassingly pitiful looking creature. It's becoming a habit.

And they both had ear mites. How did they get mites? Who knows. I live on the second floor and no other pets come here.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Two doses of Reglan, two plates of greens untouched. :smith:

Got one more dose today and one more offering of greens. I might do a poop-version of a raindance later tonight.

Edit: also gonna find some fresh pineapple and syringe feed her some pineapple mush to see if that'll help.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

pseudonordic posted:

Two doses of Reglan, two plates of greens untouched. :smith:

Got one more dose today and one more offering of greens. I might do a poop-version of a raindance later tonight.

Edit: also gonna find some fresh pineapple and syringe feed her some pineapple mush to see if that'll help.

I'm so sorry. Can you try to syringe feed her some warm water as well? That's what the vet got me to do with Paterson when he had his hairball.

voodoonoid
May 15, 2003

Turkeys fear me!
Looks like Hass' eye wasn't serious. It was almost fully healed before I was able to call a vet and now is totally normal. Little dude is still going to the vet because I'm overdue for taking him.

Why are rabbits considered an exotic pet BTW? This was a question my boyfriend asked me and I honestly don't know.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Because they are nowhere near as common as cats or dogs.

voodoonoid
May 15, 2003

Turkeys fear me!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Because they are nowhere near as common as cats or dogs.

Thought so.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
:siren: :woop: Got back from dinner with friends and found an empty plate and poops in the litter. :woop: :holy:

Cilantro had another half plate of greens before she hopped back in the litter box. Still gonna give her a 3rd dose of reglan tonight and keep an eye on her tomorrow.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Yaaay Cilantro!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

pseudonordic posted:

:siren: :woop: Got back from dinner with friends and found an empty plate and poops in the litter. :woop: :holy:

Cilantro had another half plate of greens before she hopped back in the litter box. Still gonna give her a 3rd dose of reglan tonight and keep an eye on her tomorrow.

Horay Cilantro!

Tubby Lumpkins got her surgery yesterday to remove the big tumor on her dewlap. The vet said it literally was held on by a 1/4 inch iof skin and one little blood vesel. He has no idea what it is but it came off easy and only 3 stictches to close it up. We kept Tubbs in her big carrier all day yesterday and last night and she is pissed. She scaped today and tried to bit her way back into her cage to see her Lils. It has been 24 hours so she just went back in and she is happy and running about and being basically really annoying and making all kinds of noise tossing poo poo about and aggravating Lils.

Lils is also looking good. But now she is the Two Face of rabbits. One big scar and no hair on one side, one normal fuzzy bunny face on the other. The vet said it would be a month before her fur came back on that side since they shaved it off.

We do this everytime she wanders past depending on what side she is showing us

Two Face

Yay bunnies.

Wormy
Feb 1, 2009
Hello all, first time bun owner here. Got my Seras last weekend, and she seems to be adjusting well...doesn't run when I get near her, has a healthy appetite and seems happy running around the apartment.

Just one thing though, and I'm sure it's been answered already (but this thread is huge and would take me ages to go through entirely): How do I get her to use the litterbox? She's picked a certain spot in the living room to do her business; I put the box there but she just goes around it. She has no problem going in her cage (which unfortunately she has to stay in while I'm at work and at night when I go to bed), and will sometimes hop back in there to poop. But for the most part she just goes on the carpet. Is there something I should be doing to get her to use the litterbox?

Wormy fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 9, 2012

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
Place a pile of hay and your water dispenser so she can sit in the litterbox while she eats. Rabbits love that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Hey guys, someone suggested in between my hospital and dr visits, with all my free time I should training Harriet to jump through a hoop. SHould I do this?