Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Codependent Poster posted:

Man, movie trailers used to be so weird.

And Denzel hasn't apparently aged in 30 years. Holy poo poo, he's been acting since 1981?
Apparently my father in law uses the term "black don't crack". I'd never heard it before a few years ago but I guess it's a [racist] thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

joedevola posted:

Denzel has been in some seriously egregious poo poo.

So the premise of this movie is that having a black child is the worst that can happen to you? That was acceptable to say in the eighties?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

And Denzel hasn't apparently aged in 30 years. Holy poo poo, he's been acting since 1981?

Actually, before that. He made his (uncredited) debut in Death Wish as a mugger. He was 20 years old at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-pu31S4EEY

He's the guy with off to the right, in the black leather jacket and carrying a crowbar.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
I actually saw Carbon Copy and it's pretty horrifying/bad.

He's almost 60!

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

DNS posted:

I actually saw Carbon Copy and it's pretty horrifying/bad.

It looks a lot like Trading Places but two years earlier. y/n?

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!
I like how the "Carbon Copy" trailer features the flick-the-smoke-out-the-window-but-it-hits-the-window-and-lands-in-your-crotch-and-you-drive-poorly-and-hit-something gag so memorably featured in "The Big Lebowski".

Now maybe that gag has been done a million times.

But I still wonder if the Coens swiped it from this movie as revenge. Maybe they paid to see it when it came out, one boring afternoon, and regretted the experience.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

falz posted:

Apparently my father in law uses the term "black don't crack". I'd never heard it before a few years ago but I guess it's a [racist] thing.

It's not a racist thing, it's just a reference to the fact that darker skin tends to show less wrinkling and other obvious signs of sun damage as people get older.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

falz posted:

Are you saying blacks do crack?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

"I bet my son can beat your son at basketball HAHA SURPRISE HE'S A BLACK MAN"

How does a film like this begin a career instead of ending it?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Supercar Gautier posted:

Ehm, Denzel? :swoon:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Supercar Gautier posted:

Leonardo di Caprio has three Oscar nominations, seven Golden Globe nominations including a win, and starred in a movie that grossed $2 billion. His first movie role was in Critters 3.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Critters 3 > Gone with the Wind

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
This is the first thing I thought of when I saw that poster:

http://youtu.be/l6VWUpyfywc

Depsite the video pulling from sitcom openings, I can't believe it wasn't based off this movie.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Kingtheninja posted:

Everybody forgets Senior Trip.

Everyone forgets Dahmer.

People keep going on about how hot Jeremy Renner was in The Avengers and I just think of Jeffrey Dahmer. God, they even have vaguely similar names.

Anyway, Carbon Copy looks like the....oh god I don't even know. But at least Denzel had a chance to play the bigoted one later, when he was in Philadelphia.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Rogue1-and-a-half posted:

I am fairly certain that the endless cascade of character posters for the Hobbit is totally unnecessary.

I read the Hobbit and I don't even remember any character traits or actions exhibited by any of the dwarves, ever. Am I just forgetting things?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jedit posted:

Leonardo di Caprio has three Oscar nominations, seven Golden Globe nominations including a win, and starred in a movie that grossed $2 billion. His first movie role was in Critters 3.

Critters 3 (and the entire series) was loving awesome, though.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Cleretic posted:

I read the Hobbit and I don't even remember any character traits or actions exhibited by any of the dwarves, ever. Am I just forgetting things?
They don't really have personalities. But they'll probably get some for the movies because there aren't any other characters of note. There's a decent amount of background material for them to draw on, though.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:

Choi Min-Sik

Click for bigger:

This one confuses me. It says it's all hand drawn using a tablet, but some of them look like stills from the movies with filters or something.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

Choi Min-Sik

Click for bigger:

This one confuses me. It says it's all hand drawn using a tablet, but some of them look like stills from the movies with filters or something.

They're probably "drawn" the same way Tim Bradstreet does a lot of his cover work. Which is by taking a photo and inking over it digitally.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
Exactly what it looks like now that you've mentioned it. Also, it's quite busy. I do like that the background looks like it's the wall paper from the hotel room in Oldboy, though.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Honeydew posted:

It's Ronnie Barker!

If they dedicated two of those characters to being a dwarf version of the Two Ronnies that would be fine with me.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yes! Got a Creature poster today.

Don't know if these particular posters were even more limited than usual, but they literally sold out in about 5 seconds. I was refreshing the page exactly when they started to come up for sale, and I tried to get Frankenstein as well as Creature, and Frankie was sold out before I could even complete the sale.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cleretic posted:

One of them's fat, and one of them is Thorin. That's about it.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Don't know if these particular posters were even more limited than usual, but they literally sold out in about 5 seconds. I was refreshing the page exactly when they started to come up for sale, and I tried to get Frankenstein as well as Creature, and Frankie was sold out before I could even complete the sale.

I know the ones last week sold out in a minute or so. I had to walk away from my desk like an idiot

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

computer parts posted:

And one of them is Gimli's dad, I guess.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
And they all loving hate spoons.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

404GoonNotFound posted:

And one of them is Gimli's dad, I guess.

Or mother.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

computer parts posted:

One of them talked to Ravens, I do remember that.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Congrats, you beat me. Such a rad poster.

Oh well, I got one at least :)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Lizard Combatant posted:

Congrats, you beat me. Such a rad poster.

Oh well, I got one at least :)

It was shear dumb luck on my part as well. I had my alarm set for 8:30am, so I'd have plenty of time to be up for the sale, since Mondo always seems to start the sale just after 9am. Luckily I woke up at 7am though, because todays sale started at about 8:20am.

I would've had to punch myself in the balls if I missed it by 10 minutes just because my alarm was set late.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
http://badassdigest.com/2012/11/02/screw-sharknado-heres-rastafearian

This is pretty funny but would probably be a horrible movie.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Y'know, Paramount has had a rough year. What with the distribution rights for Marvel Studios going to Disney, Dreamworks' distribution going with 20th Century Fox, and their biggest picture of 2013 is a massively troubled, delayed production that's gone wildly overbudget.

So, how do you grab people's attention to a movie that could make or break your fiscal year?

There isn't an :effort: emoticon big enough for this.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

I really don't know what to think about this. It kind of looks like one of those hand-painted Ghanian rice sack posters.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Robert Denby posted:

Y'know, Paramount has had a rough year. What with the distribution rights for Marvel Studios going to Disney, Dreamworks' distribution going with 20th Century Fox, and their biggest picture of 2013 is a massively troubled, delayed production that's gone wildly overbudget.

So, how do you grab people's attention to a movie that could make or break your fiscal year?

What's left to do with zombies at this point? What's to offer that Walking Dead currently doesn't cover or hasn't been covered with other zombie movies? Blowing them up with tanks?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dillbag posted:

I really don't know what to think about this. It kind of looks like one of those hand-painted Ghanian rice sack posters.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say that was painted by Chet "Grimsauce" Wozinski, the San Fernando Valley's premier van mural artist.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

Robert Denby posted:

I don't want anything else. For some reason, leaving it completely to my imagination and just informing me that it exists with a release date is perfect.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Dillbag posted:

This misrepresents the film enough to wrap around to awesome territory.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Unfortunately it has been proven time and time again that keeping information from the public on a film with no equity translates into them not caring about it and the box office suffers. Brad Pitt has a lot of equity but as mentioned Paramount is hurting right now and this might come off as a trick and it is a big gamble.

It's like the trailer that shows you beautiful and magical things but doesn't give you a story. Sure filmmakers like it but what you end up with is Tree of Life grossing $13m domestically.

Which is why you see this

Get replaced with this

when it isn't tracking well. I've never seen this film. Most of America hasn't either. It looks confusing and kind of hard to wrap your brain around exactly what the story is.

Unfortunately I feel like the same thing is happening with Cloud Atlas.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

It looks confusing and kind of hard to wrap your brain around exactly what the story is.

The marketing nailed the film head-on, then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It's Terrence Malick, so I assume it's just a lot of people staring off into the middle distance while you can hear their inner monologue.