Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
500 amps through that meter? That's gotta be fake. Over the top and amusing, but fake.

Oh man, this guy's channel is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-HYPdh744M

"Don't want too much beer around high voltage!" I love it where he blows up the 80kAIC fuse!

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Three-Phase posted:

500 amps through that meter? That's gotta be fake. Over the top and amusing, but fake.

Oh man, this guy's channel is great.
It looked like he was running it through a step-down transformer at much lower voltages, which makes it more believable. Explains why he was willingly holding the boxcutter in bare hands, too.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
But running 500A through a 100A service and damaging the meter? (Wait, that wasn't the main house meter, right? That might be a little more believable.)

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Three-Phase posted:

But running 500A through a 100A service and damaging the meter? (Wait, that wasn't the main house meter, right? That might be a little more believable.)
Are you really asking? No, it was mounted inside the house and had temp cables on both input and outputs. It was not their service entry. They did this on purpose to destroy it.

grover fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 2, 2012

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Photonic Induction vids are awesome. He used to have a ton more on youtube, but he flipped out and deleted all of them at one point.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Ah man, I've been having brain farts all week, Grover. I wasn't sure how those things look/work in the UK either.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf
Can you tell me what the hell happens in this video? It looks like they're trying to disconnect a breaker which arcs to earth, right? Shame about the quality, but it sounds pants-shittingly terrifying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IageMUi0G80

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

schmuckfeatures posted:

Can you tell me what the hell happens in this video? It looks like they're trying to disconnect a breaker which arcs to earth, right? Shame about the quality, but it sounds pants-shittingly terrifying.

Yep! Better question: How the gently caress is that guy alive?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

schmuckfeatures posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IageMUi0G80

Christ, that electricity is angry :stare:

What the gently caress happened?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Well, he's definitely trying to open some kind of isolator, it looks like, judging by the crank he's turning.

:stare::hf::science:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Three-Phase posted:

Well, he's definitely trying to open some kind of isolator, it looks like, judging by the crank he's turning.

:stare::hf::science:

So he was trying to cut off power to that power line, and for some reason the electricity just went "gently caress NO :black101:"?

That's something that happens? gently caress this poo poo I'm getting candles.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

FrozenVent posted:

So he was trying to cut off power to that power line, and for some reason the electricity just went "gently caress NO :black101:"?

That's something that happens? gently caress this poo poo I'm getting candles.

I'm not sure if it was under load or not. Here's one where the SF6 breaker poles failed and the isolator was opened under load. Those switches are not meant to be open with electricity flowing through them. They open too slowly and don't have a way to "blow out" the arc that forms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIkNY5xjy5k

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 4, 2012

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Is just walking up to the thing with 1000s of volts running through and flipping the switch how this normally works or just a"lol, eastern Europe" procedure? Obviously that huge arc flash isn't supposed to happen but given the possibility that it could wouldn't it be wise to use a 100 foot long stick and some PPE?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

stealthdozer posted:

I just stumbled across this:

http://youtu.be/ut5DXxK1dvk?t=8m40s

How in the loving christ is this guy alive? :stonk:

What the hell is this video?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Hah, he used video clips from the movie "Pulse".

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Cross-posting from the generator thread:

If you paid less than a couple hundred bucks for your UPS, you can be pretty sure it will look like this, too:

For those considering different ways to power your laptop:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

The Proc posted:

Yep! Better question: How the gently caress is that guy alive?

He does commercial power installs for a living. Working with high power electrical systems is literally what he does.

He flipped out and deleted his old videos because people didn't understand that he IS THE EXPERT and knows what he's doing. He even understands where what he's doing will cause things like say.. spontaneous x-ray generation and the like.

Most of what he does involves very, very high currents, more than very, very high voltages. Which mitigates the risk somewhat. Unless you're going out of your way to provide low resistance paths to either side of your heart, you're not going to have a heart stopping experience around a couple volts. Big sparks, lots of fun magnetics, hot things, sure. But nothing worse than working around an engine.

VVVV_____ Ooops

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 6, 2012

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Nerobro posted:

He does commercial power installs for a living. Working with high power electrical systems is literally what he does.

He flipped out and deleted his old videos because people didn't understand that he IS THE EXPERT and knows what he's doing. He even understands where what he's doing will cause things like say.. spontaneous x-ray generation and the like.

Most of what he does involves very, very high currents, more than very, very high voltages. Which mitigates the risk somewhat. Unless you're going out of your way to provide low resistance paths to either side of your heart, you're not going to have a heart stopping experience around a couple volts. Big sparks, lots of fun magnetics, hot things, sure. But nothing worse than working around an engine.

I know who you're talking about about and he's awesome, I was asking about the crazy Russian guy in the post above mine who walked up to a live transmission line and did... something.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

grover posted:

Cool stuff. Does my laptop charger care much about these waveform abnormalities?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Guy Axlerod posted:

Cool stuff. Does my laptop charger care much about these waveform abnormalities?

Id really like to see a comparison that shows how this effects the output of the laptop charger. I'm guessing it doesnt.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Guy Axlerod posted:

Depends how well it's designed, but probably not.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

grover posted:

If you paid less than a couple hundred bucks for your UPS, you can be pretty sure it will look like this, too:

For those considering different ways to power your laptop:

This is neat, I always wondered how car inverters generate a nice sine wave. The answer is they don't! :science:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

peepsalot posted:

This is neat, I always wondered how car inverters generate a nice sine wave. The answer is they don't! :science:
Good inverters use pulse width modulation (multiple square wave pulses), which, when ran through an inductive filter, creates a near-perfect sine wave. It's quite easy to use PWM with modern IGBTs, and it surprises the hell out of me that not more devices use it. Saves a few cents and most people don't notice, I guess. High end stuff uses it exclusively. The waveform below is old style PWM, but the newest generation uses pulses fired at tens of thousands of Hz, which allows the use of very small inductors.

grover fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 7, 2012

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

peepsalot posted:

I don't know what kind of alternator is used for those plots, but if you use a synchronous generator and the prime mover is providing a constant rotation, your output will be a pretty perfect sine wave. That plot was using a crappy home generator that most likely uses brushes or something to output a single phase residential voltage.

A car alternator is going to be three phase to provide better DC rectification through a diode bridge. That output will not be as jagged, though also not a constant frequency.

Grover:

For a home generator, you can just plug into a 6-30R (or whatever) mounted on the bottom of the panel and wire a neutral/ground wire from the genset to panel neutral/ground bus, right? Those portable generators are bonded, and the utility service bond will be outside the house, correct?

Also, if a portable home generator puts out 240V, is it a true split single phase in that you will get 240V from each lead and 120V to the neutral?

A few people were asking me about this and I wasn't too familiar with those home depot specials.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Grover:

For a home generator, you can just plug into a 6-30R (or whatever) mounted on the bottom of the panel and wire a neutral/ground wire from the genset to panel neutral/ground bus, right? Those portable generators are bonded, and the utility service bond will be outside the house, correct?

Also, if a portable home generator puts out 240V, is it a true split single phase in that you will get 240V from each lead and 120V to the neutral?

A few people were asking me about this and I wasn't too familiar with those home depot specials.
Yes and no; you can backfeed a house from an L16-30R outlet or similar just fine, but can only do so legally (and safely for line workers!) if you have a positive interlock to prevent accidentally energizing the utility lines. Home generators scare the piss out of line workers because of dodgy dryer-outlet backfeeds and such.

As you're aware (but others reading this thread may not be), every electrical system in the US is required to have one, and exactly one, point where the neutral is bonded to ground. This places the neutral at ground potential, and increases safety. It's important in fault clearing, because if a short circuit energizes an exposed piece of metal (all of which are required to be grounded), it will create a short circuit path back to the panel, tripping a breaker, and preventing anyone from getting shocked. If the neutral were to be bonded at multiple places, that would place the ground path in parallel with the neutral, and would cause current to flow not only through the ground wire, but the backfeed through every grounded piece of metal in incidental contact with earth- water pipes, enclosures, etc. It's a safety risk that electrical codes are designed to prevent.

Every portable generator sold in the US is going to have a neutral-ground bond. You need to carry both the neutral and ground from the generator into your panel for proper ground-fault clearing, so you need to use 4 wires and a 4W plug (EG, L16-30 vice L6-30). When transfer switches are installed for use with portable generators, they'll switch the neutral and deal with the issue that way. If you hook it directly to your panel, though, you end up with two neutral-ground bonds, and current flowing through the ground wire. With voltage drop over the generator cable, sets up potential for ground loops. To really do it "right", if not disconnecting the neutral in your panel, you should be removing the neutral-ground bond from the generator whenever you connect it to your home, and replacing it whenever you're using it standalone.

If you haven't seen it, I talked a bit about this all in the generator thread, too.

grover fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 12, 2012

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Maybe a silly question but I've never gotten an answer...

Years back me and some friends would sometimes walk through a field/walkway right next to those big hydro lines. One spot specifically of about 15 feet by 15 feet where, I noticed I would always get a headache, sort of like right between the eyes, kind of tingling and throbbing. It was between where two of the lines/connector things would arc over the path.

Everyone told me it was just my imagination and that they can't cause headaches from so far up above us. But I swear, it happened two or three times in the exact same spot. Admittedly, it was only me who ever claimed to feel anything out of the four of us.

Is such a thing possible? or was it just my imagination?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I just graduated with an EE degree with a specialty in power systems this May, and I've been hoping to break into the energy industry. I received an offer with Schneider Electric as a Junior Engineer which would have put me on that path, but I had to turn them down because of issues with my living situation (renewed my lease the day before I got the offer, still hate myself for that one).

I currently work at a government contractor that specializes in electromagnetic sensor testing and analysis. While it's pretty interesting stuff, I still want to switch over to power systems. Will my work with sensors have any relevant applications for when I apply for those jobs, or am I kind of starting from square one with my time-eroded degree specialty?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

The Cleaner posted:

Maybe a silly question but I've never gotten an answer...

Years back me and some friends would sometimes walk through a field/walkway right next to those big hydro lines. One spot specifically of about 15 feet by 15 feet where, I noticed I would always get a headache, sort of like right between the eyes, kind of tingling and throbbing. It was between where two of the lines/connector things would arc over the path.

Everyone told me it was just my imagination and that they can't cause headaches from so far up above us. But I swear, it happened two or three times in the exact same spot. Admittedly, it was only me who ever claimed to feel anything out of the four of us.

RF from power lines is too large wavelength (ELF) to be any risk, but there's a sizable EMF field between power lines (particularly high voltage power lines) and earth that can induce small amounts of current to flow between the lines and earth. It's generally considered harmless, as there have been no conclusive studies that show any negative health effects, and just about everything I've seen online has been :tinfoil: bullshit, but there is a real physical process at work beneath powerlines and you're not the only one to have reported getting a headache from it. In conclusion, wear this $350 earth pendant to protect you!

Not a Children posted:

I currently work at a government contractor that specializes in electromagnetic sensor testing and analysis. While it's pretty interesting stuff, I still want to switch over to power systems. Will my work with sensors have any relevant applications for when I apply for those jobs, or am I kind of starting from square one with my time-eroded degree specialty?
It would depend on the specific position. Your work experience will definitely give you a leg-up over any entry-level applicants.

grover fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 12, 2012

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Not a Children posted:

I just graduated with an EE degree with a specialty in power systems this May, and I've been hoping to break into the energy industry. I received an offer with Schneider Electric as a Junior Engineer which would have put me on that path, but I had to turn them down because of issues with my living situation (renewed my lease the day before I got the offer, still hate myself for that one).

Sensors in power systems are mostly limited to measuring voltage & current, using ancient technology that will never change. I could talk about measuring currents using light or other magnetic sensor gimmicks but they all suck hardcore and forever will.

Depending on what you do now, knowing how how to test stuff/write proper test procedures is a great skill to have because all power equipment is going to be tested at least twice before put into service. Getting in as a commissioning engineer (if you can bear the travel) of some sort isn't a bad way to get a lot of practical experience fast.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

The Cleaner posted:

I have to walk under four sets of energized 500kV lines to get to work in the morning never felt a thing. You can never say that the EMF isnt doing something as it is pretty substantial. However the EMF from an MRI machine is probably several million times stronger and people routinely stick there heads in there for extended periods of time with no ill effects.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

The Cleaner posted:

Could you show us where that is on a map? Maybe there's something going on that you might not be thinking of.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Three-Phase posted:

Could you show us where that is on a map? Maybe there's something going on that you might not be thinking of.

Sure here's a Google Map satellite of the spot.

The upper left is the football field, below it houses, to the upper right is the power station, and right in the middle there is the little dirt path where we would cut through everything walking underneath the powerlines electric hydro thingamajigs cables.

Ya any info would be appreciated, even if you think it was all just co-incidence and maybe I just got a short-lived headache by chance each time. I suppose that's possible, despite it not being a regular headache. I've thought about going back there to stand under it again as an experiment but I wanna check you guys first.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
Most likely explanation is the nocebo effect.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

The Cleaner posted:

Ya any info would be appreciated, even if you think it was all just co-incidence and maybe I just got a short-lived headache by chance each time. I suppose that's possible, despite it not being a regular headache. I've thought about going back there to stand under it again as an experiment but I wanna check you guys first.
If you do, go at night with a fluorescent light bulb. Won't prove anything, but it's really really cool to see them light up with no wires.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

The Cleaner posted:

Sure here's a Google Map satellite of the spot.

The upper left is the football field, below it houses, to the upper right is the power station, and right in the middle there is the little dirt path where we would cut through everything walking underneath the powerlines electric hydro thingamajigs cables.

Placebo/psychosomatic effect. I used to get this too, even though I knew it was new-age bullshit about "waves". I finally made myself sit under the power lines for a few minutes, the feeling went away, and it hasn't happened again.

This was despite knowing logically that it was all bullshit. Your brain tricks you and knowing it's a trick doesn't always remove the illusion.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Thanks, good to know guys. Though are you serious about the fluorescent light bulb?

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
I've never tried it but I have heard that they will light up under the high voltage power lines.

There's a substation almost next door to me, I need to take a light out by it sometime and see if it will light up.

I've also heard you can stick some sort of coil under those lines and pick up free electricity off of it. It's also supposed to be highly illegal so don't try it.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

The Cleaner posted:

Thanks, good to know guys. Though are you serious about the fluorescent light bulb?
Yes! Works best with an old-school T12, but even a CFL will glow.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Maniaman posted:

I've also heard you can stick some sort of coil under those lines and pick up free electricity off of it. It's also supposed to be highly illegal so don't try it.
Unless you're building a large dedicated building to steal power, you're not going to get more than a few watts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

grover posted:

Yes! Works best with an old-school T12, but even a CFL will glow.

Holy.. crap.

So uh.. there is really nothing to those studies that show cancer rates living near power lines and such? That seems pretty crazy I kinda wanna try that though. Just bring a box of lightbulbs out there and see what happens.

• Locked thread