Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Nexal posted:

Any ideas when IRIS season 2 starts?

They did have one. I believe it was Athena: Goddess of War (aired on a different channel from IRIS tho, because dramas are produced independently and sold to broadcasting stations). Not sure if it was a direct sequel but I know it was introduced as IRIS 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

Archer2338 posted:

They did have one. I believe it was Athena: Goddess of War (aired on a different channel from IRIS tho, because dramas are produced independently and sold to broadcasting stations). Not sure if it was a direct sequel but I know it was introduced as IRIS 2.

I found some info http://asianwiki.com/IRIS_2 next year apparently.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Nexal posted:

Yeah they are still casting for it, apparently Ji Young and Lee Joon will be in it

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Nexal posted:

Oh, interesting. Athena was made by the same company that made IRIS, and people were talking/mentioning it as the sequel to IRIS when it was being filmed/broadcast. Guess the storyline didn't connect to the IRIS universe?

Wouldn't mind seeing an IRIS 2 as long as Kim Tae-hee is back in it :haw:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I guess now's as good a time as any;

Drama Spotlight: IRIS

Finished: Yes, but with a spin-off show (Athena: Goddess of War) and upcoming sequel (IRIS 2).
Episodes: 20
Starring: Lee Byung-Hun, Kim Tae-Hee, Jung Joon-Ho, Kim Yeong-Cheol, Kim Seung-Woo, Kim So-Yeon, TOP
Available: Hulu, DramaFever, ViKi

This is Korea's attempt at an American style action-drama, which means it's over-produced, flashy, contains questionable computer science, uses inappropriate musical cues, and has cliffhanger endings that make you go :tviv: and watch the next episode right away even though you have things to do. They go pretty balls-out here and it's pretty great.

Kim Hyun-Jun and Jin Sa-Woo are best buds going through special forces training together, when they both find themselves being scouted and recruited to be part of the National Security Service (NSS), a top-secret counter-terrorism agency. During this time, Hyun-Jun falls for his team leader, Choi Seung-Hee, and the two develop a serious relationship, which disappoints Sa-Woo, who had also taken a liking to her.

Not long into his new life as an NSS agent, Hyun-Jun is given a solo assignment by NSS director Baek San to assassinate a North Korean political figure. However, upon carrying out his mission, Hyun-Jun finds himself abandoned by the NSS and labeled a traitor to the country. Now being hunted from all sides, Hyun-Jun must uncover the truth behind the conspiracy and the role he plays in it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Jamesman posted:

Starring: Lee Byung-Hun, Kim Tae-Hee, Jung Joon-Ho, Kim Yeong-Cheol, Kim Seung-Woo, Kim So-Yeon, TOP

TOP's eyebrows deserve their own listing.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Gorilla Salad posted:

TOP's eyebrows deserve their own listing.

stanncie
Oct 12, 2006
Hi, i'm new in this thread but a total kdrama addict. I had no idea this thread was in this forum and I'm giddy :) I just finished watching Faith (The Great Doctor) on Viki. I think this drama will appeal to both sexes. Who can deny Lee Min Ho is to die for? and the guys will like all the warrior stuff and sword fighting. This is a period piece and it involves time travel that hurt my head a little but was oh so worth it

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

Koreans just binge drink and die in puddles of vomit mostly. You can get any drugs of course but they're really expensive and hard to find, so most people don't even try.

If you live near a US military base like I did in Itaewon you score weed off the GIs or their kids in high school. Smoke weed and play Turok on an N64 at my friends house, that's pretty much as hardcore as I got :420:

Rinseh
Jul 25, 2011

Do I have to do everything, he asked intending to be facetious?
Not sure about anyone else but today i received an email from Dramafever notifying me that it was, for a limited time, available in my country (the UK) and if it was popular enough it would become a permanent thing.

Hopefully it's popular.

What i'm trying to say is, if you were previously unable to watch stuff on dramafever now might be the time to give it a try.

Webpage link from the email.(not sure if it will work)

Rinseh fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 8, 2012

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
Out of left field.

These stories perplex me. On one hand you have idols and agencies doing everything they can to quash rumors and the other you have idols leaving seemingly deliberate clues.

Last couple I would of guessed.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Everyone please brace yourselves for Hurricane Netizen because hoooooo boyyyyyy this is gonna run and run and run

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Anyone want to take bets on which side flips their poo poo more? The rabid teenaged Super Junior fans or the creepy IU uncle fans? I've said time and time again, now this is Korean drama I can get behind. :stare:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Uncle fans aren't creepy. Teenage fans are creepy since they're the ones that hang on to the fantasies of dating their favorite idols. Therefore the ELFs will be the ones flipping their poo poo.

Eunhyuk's a cool dude and pretty drat funny. Go get you some, IU.

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009
Damage control has started.

Loen Entertainment posted:

Hello. This is Loen Entertainment.

This is an official statement regarding the picture that was revealed early this morning through IU’s Twitter.

First, we bow our heads and sincerely apologize for causing concern to all the representatives and all the fans of IU and Super Junior.

The revealed photo was from this summer when IU was very sick and Eunhyuk had come to visit her at her home, and was taken then when they sat on the sofa together; it was revealed to the outside due to IU’s mistake through her related photo uploading service while IU was making a mention on Twitter.

IU is sincerely sorry for bringing harm to her sunbae Eunhyuk due to her error.

Lastly, IU and Eunhyuk are close sunbae-hoobae who have been close since IU’s debut, Eunhyuk is close ’til the point that he has even dined with IU’s mother. We ask that you do not exaggerate or make assumptions about IU and Eunhyuk’s relationship due to this incident.

We will return to greet you as a more matured agency after having learned from this incident. We apologize once again.

We are sorry.

Loen Entertainment

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Netizens were quick (and rightfully) to point out that he was shirtless in the pic, perhaps some body heat would help chase away the cold. :v: Here we go boys and girls, I hope it ends up with a netizen throwing eggs into a gutter somewhere.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jamesman posted:

I guess now's as good a time as any;

Drama Spotlight: IRIS

Finished: Yes, but with a spin-off show (Athena: Goddess of War) and upcoming sequel (IRIS 2).
Episodes: 20
Available: Hulu, DramaFever, ViKi

This is Korea's attempt at an American style action-drama, which means it's over-produced, flashy, contains questionable computer science, uses inappropriate musical cues, and has cliffhanger endings that make you go :tviv: and watch the next episode right away even though you have things to do. They go pretty balls-out here and it's pretty great.

Kim Hyun-Jun and Jin Sa-Woo are best buds going through special forces training together, when they both find themselves being scouted and recruited to be part of the National Security Service (NSS), a top-secret counter-terrorism agency. During this time, Hyun-Jun falls for his team leader, Choi Seung-Hee, and the two develop a serious relationship, which disappoints Sa-Woo, who had also taken a liking to her.

Not long into his new life as an NSS agent, Hyun-Jun is given a solo assignment by NSS director Baek San to assassinate a North Korean political figure. However, upon carrying out his mission, Hyun-Jun finds himself abandoned by the NSS and labeled a traitor to the country. Now being hunted from all sides, Hyun-Jun must uncover the truth behind the conspiracy and the role he plays in it.

I just wanna say after burning through a good chunk of romance dramas IRIS was a real treat. I'm not normally a huge fan of the big action shows but this was actually a really fun watch! Is the spinoff any good?

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
Athena is horrific in comparison.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
That's a noticeable age difference if it's true. IU was just on a talk show talking about how she had a crush on some guy, but that he was playing games with her so she stopped talking to him. That's a pretty elaborate lie if she was dating Eunhyuk the whole time.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Keep in mind I know nothing about Korea outside their television, but...

Is there a reason why all the Korean celebrities don't just join together and come out and say "Hey guess what people, we're all regular human beings who have relationships with each other, so get over it already" all at once? I mean, will Korean society collapse or something? Does the industry itself just not want things to change? I really don't get it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Symphoric posted:

Is there a reason why all the Korean celebrities don't just join together and come out and say "Hey guess what people, we're all regular human beings who have relationships with each other, so get over it already" all at once? I mean, will Korean society collapse or something? Does the industry itself just not want things to change? I really don't get it.

Korean fans actually prefer their idols to have secret relationships and do everything in their power to keep them secret. Literally the average fan will say, "I understand they're human and want to date, but they have to date secretly and I don't ever want to know about it." It's some sort of weird shared delusion where both sides know the score but play their parts anyway.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Also because of the massive, massive influence the "netizens" have over their celebrities. I mean gently caress, just read up on Tablo and his problems. He was basically run out of the entertainment business for a year or so because people thought he lied about graduating from Stanford, despite evidence to the contrary.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Cute n Popular posted:

Athena is horrific in comparison.

I actually watched Athena first and then IRIS. While Athena was more over-the-top than IRIS, I actually found it closer to western espionage shows like 24 and Homeland. Though from a distant standpoint, I can see why most people prefer IRIS. Though I enjoyed Athena more, but w/e

To be fair though, every time a useless romantic came up in Athena, I fast-forwarded it. And it had no effect on the rest of the story.

That said, the bridge sequence from the second half of Athena is probably the best action sequence of either show. Definitely loved every second of it.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
When asked if she’d ever publicly date, she said, “I’m going to hide it for as long as possible. Fans told me to make sure I don’t get caught, that I could do whatever I want but they asked me not to hurt them. Fans always tell me to hide it.“-IU (less than a week ago)

Bad move by Loen to go with the awkward misdirection apology.I think that she should bite the bullet and admit the relationship.It will all but kill her little sister image but that's much better than having netizens do it over a couple of weeks. Get as many people as you can to buy into the relationship today. Trying to walk the line didn't work out for T-ara and certainly won't work here with such an incriminating photo. SM will have none of this though.

I personally am most worried for the Hyohyuk shippers

The same week when Suzy's starts to lose her "Nation's First Love" image as well.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Symphoric posted:

They're called "Idols" for a reason.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

TEHJOE posted:

When asked if she’d ever publicly date, she said, “I’m going to hide it for as long as possible. Fans told me to make sure I don’t get caught, that I could do whatever I want but they asked me not to hurt them. Fans always tell me to hide it.“-IU (less than a week ago)

In the first few episodes of Heroes, IU mentioned she had a thing for older men. Not too unsurprising as, at the time, she had already been in the music industry for a while and would have found it hard to relate to teenage boys.

Then in another episode she said she hadn't ever dated and, when one of the MCs mentioned she had just been on the radio giving dating advice to young girls a few days earlier, came right out and said that her company had told her to say that.

quote:

The same week when Suzy's starts to lose her "Nation's First Love" image as well.

What did Suzy do?

Given how goddamn hard they work the idols over there (some of the worst examples include 20 hours days, no days off for a whole year, not getting paid for a year, 3am starts to get around labor laws and school requirements, *cough*bullying*cough*, etc) they deserve any happiness they can find for themselves.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 10, 2012

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Symphoric posted:

Okay, I managed to find this old quote from the Running Man thread on the differences between an idol and an actress:

Selane posted:

As far as fans are apparently concerned:

Jessica (Girl's Generation) kissing some guy in a drama: not ok
Jihyo (actress, star on Running Man) in a 69 with Jo Insung in a movie: totally ok

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

To be fair though, that was before Jihyo "blew up". When people found out she was in a real relationship, they flipped the gently caress out. "I'm going to stop watching RM/Ji hyo" needs to stop being on the show etc". I think it is in part the way the agencies push these idols as "pure/not allowed to date", that leads to poo poo like this. If one of the Brown Eyed Girls came out and said they were in a relationship, I doubt there would be a big backlash.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lyer posted:

If one of the Brown Eyed Girls came out and said they were in a relationship, I doubt there would be a big backlash.

Unless it were Ga-In, and the person she was dating was anyone but Jo Kwon.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Jamesman posted:

Unless it were Ga-In, and the person she was dating was anyone but Jo Kwon.

That's mainly due to insane shippers though, not irrational netizens. :v: It's been a crazy week though for tears, US presidential election and now this.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Lyer posted:

To be fair though, that was before Jihyo "blew up". When people found out she was in a real relationship, they flipped the gently caress out. "I'm going to stop watching RM/Ji hyo" needs to stop being on the show etc". I think it is in part the way the agencies push these idols as "pure/not allowed to date", that leads to poo poo like this. If one of the Brown Eyed Girls came out and said they were in a relationship, I doubt there would be a big backlash.

Those are the young immature fans of RM, though. Same kind of age group/same kids as the idol fans. The fans of non-idol celebs (IE: people who like someone as an actress) generally tend to be older/more mature. They're the ones that are normal and don't mind their stars dating, etc.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Yeah the reason I was kind of confused was because I had read about Song Jihyo and all the people flipping out, but the show defended her and soon enough nobody seemed to care anymore. I was just wondering why ALL the celebrities don't just come out and do it, suffer through the tantrums for a little while, then go on with life like it never happened once the storm blows over.

I guess the simple answer is that "idols" are held to a much higher standard than actresses and the like. I guess I just thought that "idol" was just another synonym for "celebrity" when clearly it isn't.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

It just depends on how persistent the netizens are. From what I've seen, celebrities often do have other celebrities come out and defend them. But sometimes, it just doesn't matter if they're out for a witch hunt. For example, every time Tablo defended himself he was called a liar and a cheat and everyone that defended him was ignored or called a traitor.

The internet people are just pretty psycho!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The whole concept of the anti-fan that they have over there weirds me out.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
So, hey, remember that SBS K-Pop concert that was supposed to happen over the summer and then... didn't? I never heard anything more about it, and it turns out it's still happening. And it's kind of happening today. 2NE1, 4Minute, B2ST, CNBlue, Kara, Girls' Generation, and Sistar at the Verizon Amphitheater in Irvine, CA.

I have no idea when it officially starts (other than today) or if it's going to be broadcast/streamed anywhere. Someone help. :(

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Starts at 6:30 apparently, can't find any info on streams, apparently none because SM don't wanna devalue the tickets.

network.guy
Jun 20, 2004

edit:no

network.guy fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 11, 2012

oniontaker
Nov 12, 2012
The only decent thing about Athena was Taeyeon getting an awesome OST written for her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1JF3XBaDyI

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I feel ashamed, but every time myself or my housemate are in a situation where we go 'woah' (eg nearly knocking a glass of water over) the other will always respond with the 'oo' from 'Oo-oo-oo-oppa Gangnam Style'.

Apparently it's catching on around my housemates workplace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Speaking of SNSD... they released another song from their Japanese album a few days ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNqFrJMsPe0

It's so K-pop; sugary, cute, ridiculously catchy and something you would never be caught dead listening to in public. I wonder how much Taeyeon hates this song. :v:

• Locked thread