Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
I just hacked my GNex with the new 4.2 camera/keyboard.

The camera/gallery is WAY better. Smoother, faster, new modes... tons of polish. Photosphere is neat but has some poor stitching issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Do you have a HDR option on your version of the 4.2 camera?

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Ragingsheep posted:

Do you have a HDR option on your version of the 4.2 camera?

No.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Xarb posted:

At the moment I have the lock-screen/security on my SGS3 set up for swipe then pin to unlock. I also have it to lock immediately if I press the power-button.

What I want to happen is that the phone will always require me to swipe it on wake, but only require the pin if it has been locked for a certain amount of time.

Is this possible with an app? I can't seem to find the correct settings in android itself.

That was an option on my stock MT4G and i seriously miss it on my SGS3. I hope someone has an app for it, it was so handy.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Is there an app that will lock me away from the Internet for a few hours at a time? I don't have the self-discipline to actually study at the library when my shiny new phone is begging me to use it to dick around on the web. I'm not hoping for too much, so I'll probably resort to (gasp) turning the device off for a while. If there is another option, though, I wouldn't mind trying it out.

Spaz Medicine fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 5, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Spaz Medicine posted:

Is there an app that will lock me away from the Internet for a few hours at a time? I don't have the self-discipline to actually study at the library when my shiny new phone is begging me to use it to dick around on the web. I'm not hoping for too much, so I'll probably resort to (gasp) turning the device off for a while. If there is another option, though, I wouldn't mind trying it out.
This appears to do what you want and I'm sure you could set Tasker to do this and I think it's built into CM, but a better course of action might be for you to take your spaz medicine and just control your impulses like an adult.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

LastInLine posted:

, but a better course of action might be for you to take your spaz medicine and just control your impulses like an adult.

Where would this thread be if we all did that? :haw:

Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus

Jensen posted:

I just hacked my GNex with the new 4.2 camera/keyboard.

The camera/gallery is WAY better. Smoother, faster, new modes... tons of polish. Photosphere is neat but has some poor stitching issues.
Really? I consider it quite good, all things considered.

http://i.imgur.com/Dc314.jpg

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nupraptor posted:

A friend of mine is traveling around Europe and has been spamming Photospheres at G+ and they are pretty amazing. I've struggled to find any bad seeming except at near vertical angles and they really give you an impression of what it is like to be there. There is a bit of stretching in the periphery but that's understandable. I didn't install it yet but it's definitely something I will make use of in the future.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
I know that you can tether your phones connection to other devices using bluetooth, but is it possible to tether your laptops WiFi connection to your phone via a similar method?

e: Can't connect to wireless on GNex because my wifi chip has seemingly bit the dust. So I'm looking for other alternatives.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Nupraptor posted:

I see pretty bad stitching errors on that one even - and I'm sure you cherry picked it as the best you had.

I've tried doing the inside of my living room many times and it refuses to generate a sphere that is really even passable. It probably can do better outdoors - the same colored walls don't give it much to line up on I suppose.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
What is the android activity to open the phone / dial-er? Trying to create a Minimalistic Text Custom Button and I can't find what it's called for the life of me.

GS3 if it matters.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Jensen posted:

I see pretty bad stitching errors on that one even - and I'm sure you cherry picked it as the best you had.

I've tried doing the inside of my living room many times and it refuses to generate a sphere that is really even passable. It probably can do better outdoors - the same colored walls don't give it much to line up on I suppose.

Yeah I think I've seen comments from Google people posting them on G+ that it's much better at doing them outdoors.

Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus

Jensen posted:

"Pretty bad" as compared to what?

Photography IS "cherry picking". You don't keep your bad shots. And I don't think panoramas were intended for taking pictures of one's living room.

Nupraptor fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 5, 2012

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Mr. Crow posted:

What is the android activity to open the phone / dial-er? Trying to create a Minimalistic Text Custom Button and I can't find what it's called for the life of me.

GS3 if it matters.

I'm relatively sure the app is called phone (might be different depending on the system language)

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Sereri posted:

I'm relatively sure the app is called phone (might be different depending on the system language)

All I have in my "Phone" activity section is a bunch of phone functions, like "Accessory settings for call" and "Call Alert" and "Fixed dialing numbers".

There is no "<App> (Launcher)" at the top that most of them have. This is with the Minimalistic Text app btw.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Nupraptor posted:

"Pretty bad" as compared to what?

Photography IS "cherry picking". You don't keep your bad shots. And I don't think panoramas were intended for taking pictures of one's living room.

"Pretty bad" meaning you can spot where the images are stitched together? Any decent pc panorama software will be able to make a seamless stitch nearly every time. Which means you shouldn't have to cherry pick an image to try and find the "most seamless" image in your library.

And panoramas aren't intended for anything, it's not like someone "invented" the idea of shooting 360 and decided what you could or could not do with it.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

ante posted:

"Pretty bad" meaning you can spot where the images are stitched together? Any decent pc panorama software will be able to make a seamless stitch nearly every time. Which means you shouldn't have to cherry pick an image to try and find the "most seamless" image in your library.

And panoramas aren't intended for anything, it's not like someone "invented" the idea of shooting 360 and decided what you could or could not do with it.

A fork wasn't invented with an exact purpose in mind, but you're still generally regarded as being wrong if you try to eat soup with one. Who the hell takes panoramas of their lounge? Google will have targeted the functionality at popular use, which I would argue is either outdoors or in large indoor structures (concerts, sports stadiums). There are also good technical reasons why panoramas taken in tightly-enclosed spaces are harder to stitch - lens distortions are much more apparent, for one.

Also, getting wound up to this extent about what is, really, quite a nice new feature is pretty drat goony.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 5, 2012

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It may be a moral failing, but I want every apartment posting on Craigslist or MLS entry to have panorama shots of the rooms. I will eat soup with a fork if that's what it takes.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I have a feeling the new thread should be called "Stitches are for bitches" or something along those lines.

Goony whining itt.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

rolleyes posted:

A fork wasn't invented with an exact purpose in mind, but you're still generally regarded as being wrong if you try to eat soup with one. Who the hell takes panoramas of their lounge? Google will have targeted the functionality at popular use, which I would argue is either outdoors or in large indoor structures (concerts, sports stadiums). There are also good technical reasons why panoramas taken in tightly-enclosed spaces are harder to stitch - lens distortions are much more apparent, for one.

Also, getting wound up to this extent about what is, really, quite a nice new feature is pretty drat goony.

Oh come on. No one is getting worked up. Jeez.

I made a valid criticism. I HAVE the software as it exists right now on my phone. I've tried it multiple times in multiple places - I'm not just commenting on other people's photos.

If it isn't intended to be used indoors, fine. I didn't know that. You keep calling it a Panorama as if to imply it can only be used on scenic vistas. It's a sphere though. You can stand in the middle of a room, spin around, and capture everything around you - you know exactly how Google uses the technology for their indoor street view of businesses. Someone needs to tell them they're using it wrong.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I called it a panorama because that's what it is. If Google want to call it a sphere then they're more than welcome to, but there's still a standard term for it. There are different types of panorama, but by far the most common one is a horizontal rotation like this one.

If you want to make an indoor street-view for your house then fine, but I suspect you might be in the minority. It's interesting that you bring up street-view as an example though; the standard outdoor service suffers from a lot of stitching issues and, although I haven't had any experience with it, I can't imagine the indoor one being any better.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The problem with taking a panoramic image indoors is people will pivot the camera around themselves, rather than pivot around the camera, meaning the software has to stitch together pictures taken from different places as well as at different angles.

It'll just be more visible when everything you're stitching is within a few feet.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Jensen posted:

... you know exactly how Google uses the technology for their indoor street view of businesses. Someone needs to tell them they're using it wrong.

Sort of, they use a ball covered in cameras spaced perfectly apart to make the stitching seamless.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

rolleyes posted:

I called it a panorama because that's what it is. If Google want to call it a sphere then they're more than welcome to, but there's still a standard term for it. There are different types of panorama, but by far the most common one is a horizontal rotation like this one.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but the new camera does have a pano mode in addition to photosphere, so it can be confusing to use the names interchangeably.

leonje
Apr 10, 2005

I roll with my kitties and I'm hard as fuck.
I have my work shifts in my calendar and rather than forgetting to set my alarm I'd like an automated alarm based on any Google Calendar events called "work".

Is such a thing possible?

E: I have tasker if that helps

leonje fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 5, 2012

Zen Punk
Dec 26, 2005

interfaced
I just got this portable 4g wifi hotspot to use with my phone and tablet, etc. It works pretty well, but I've only got 500mb/month to use without paying overage fees, so I don't want to use it if there's another wifi network available(I have wifi at home and at school, mcdonalds, etc.) Is there a program that will make make my device(s) automatically switch to a different wifi network if it's in range/open?

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

leonje posted:

I have my work shifts in my calendar and rather than forgetting to set my alarm I'd like an automated alarm based on any Google Calendar events called "work".

Is such a thing possible?

E: I have tasker if that helps

I posted my solution to this in the Tasker thread a little while ago.

Warning: It's pretty complicated to implement in Tasker, but it does work. I never used it a ton so I can't speak to how robust or reliable it is. It did seem to work well enough though.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
What's a good remote desktop viewer?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I happen to prefer "Remote RDP", there's a lite version if you want to try it out. It has nice support for USB OTG and Note S-Pens.

There's also Pocketcloud, Wyse makes it and they kinda know what they're doing with that sort of thing.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.
Another option is Jump Desktop which has a cheaper paid option than PocketCloud (and I prefer their virtual mouse as well) but it unfortunately doesn't work yet with Windows 8.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Is there a good app for drawing/painting that'll run on Jelly Bean 4.2? I used to use an old WACOM and Photoshop on my PC, but now I want to switch to a Nexus 7 and draw directly on the screen. How is PicSay Pro?

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 6, 2012

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

MondayHotDog posted:

Is there a good app for drawing/painting that'll run on Jelly Bean 4.2? I used to use an old WACOM and Photoshop on my PC, but now I want to switch to a Nexus 7 and draw directly on the screen. How is PicSay Pro?

Picsay is more a photo editing app than a drawing app. I think what you want is Sketchbook Pro by Autodesk

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Does anyone have any idea why, whenever I open a .txt file through the Google Drive app, I can't save it? This is the case regardless of which text editor app I use. Does the Drive app self-install and put its directories and things somewhere I don't have permission to access? If that's the case, how can I fix things? (I might just be willing to root my phone if it'd help).

edit: I have had issues with things being installed on the SD card and posted in this thread before about it before. Might it be the same issue?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Does anyone have any idea why, whenever I open a .txt file through the Google Drive app, I can't save it? This is the case regardless of which text editor app I use. Does the Drive app self-install and put its directories and things somewhere I don't have permission to access? If that's the case, how can I fix things? (I might just be willing to root my phone if it'd help).

edit: I have had issues with things being installed on the SD card and posted in this thread before about it before. Might it be the same issue?

I hate the Drive app so much. I find it much better to access it through ES File Explorer. Try that.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
I really like Pocket Cloud from WYSE It works on pretty much VNC server as well as Windows RDP, which I use more often than not anyway. It's the best free functional one that I've found. The only downside is you can only store one address at a time in it (for free, Paid has several).

Illuminado fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 6, 2012

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I hate the Drive app so much. I find it much better to access it through ES File Explorer. Try that.

I've got ES File Explorer but frankly have no idea where Drive has saved anything, and don't really have any idea how it might help, considering that the failure to save seems independent of what programs I use. Welp. (I'm searching my whole file structure right this second for my Drive files).

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Swipe right (so you're on the Net tab)
New -> gdrive -> login/allow
Select your drive
Explore your drive and copy/edit/etc files as you normally would in ES.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Falls Down Stairs posted:

I've got ES File Explorer but frankly have no idea where Drive has saved anything, and don't really have any idea how it might help, considering that the failure to save seems independent of what programs I use. Welp. (I'm searching my whole file structure right this second for my Drive files).
In ES, slide right to left and add your Drive account. The files will be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Stranger
Feb 16, 2005

Apologies if this has already been brought up, but I'm looking for a good flash card app.

Anki/AnkiDroid sound really good but I need to memorise some equations and I don't know LaTeX, so it sounds like I'd need to create an image for each card (unless there's some kind of MS Office-esque equation designer my dumb self can use which will automatically convert to LaTeX markup) - which I'm willing to do, but I don't know if there's a better option out there.

E: In addition, any idea how usable the AnkiDroid 2 beta is?

Car Stranger fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 6, 2012

• Locked thread