Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Pew! Pew! posted:

I do this with my dog too because he's gotten pretty obsessive about licking and chewing on his paws until they look raw and gross. That or tossing a piece of kibble at his butt, because "What was I doing OMG LOOK FOOD :downs:". When in doubt, food distractions always work with him.
Are you sure he's not allergic to something or otherwise have health issues causing the obsessive licking? The first symptom of Pi's food allergies was excessive licking and chewing on his paws (between the paw pads/toes). I didn't realize something was wrong for a long time because I just thought licking at paws is a behavioral issue and I need to give him more stuff to do. When he was first diagnosed it had gotten so bad he was reluctant to run or jump and I felt like The Worst Owner.

Edit. gently caress adpositions from here to eternity. God drat it.

Rixatrix fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Nov 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Thanks for all the cookie recipes! Is there someway I can avoid using a dehydrator? I don't own one and I don't have the money to get one.

Also Bailey is still kind of itchy with no real visible cause- no fleas that I have seen (and he's on flea preventative), no hair loss, etc. but it is starting to get a little drier around here. Is it okay to give dogs human vitamin E supplements? Also is itchiness in one or two areas linked to environmental or food type allergies? I've always fed him chicken based food so I wonder if that might have something to do with it.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

wtftastic posted:

Thanks for all the cookie recipes! Is there someway I can avoid using a dehydrator? I don't own one and I don't have the money to get one.

Just use an oven on a low heat setting for a long time. Setting the temperature around 180-200 for the day or overnight worked well for me, and if possible using a rack instead of the cookie sheet will help air circulation and drying time. Some people suggest cracking the door to let moisture out but I don't think that you have to do that. It will warm up your home a bit but that is not a real big deal in the winter months.

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.
Re Cookie Chat, keep in mind that onion and garlic are toxic. Adding onion or garlic powder isn't a great idea and make sure to check for it in the baby food as well. A little isn't the end of the world, but why bother adding it if the risk is real and the benefit is minimal?

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Asstro Van posted:

Re Cookie Chat, keep in mind that onion and garlic are toxic. Adding onion or garlic powder isn't a great idea and make sure to check for it in the baby food as well. A little isn't the end of the world, but why bother adding it if the risk is real and the benefit is minimal?

I wouldn't have done that anyways, but thank you for making sure I/ other people knew. After I first got Bailey, he managed to eat a few bits of onion and I've been really vigilant about it since.

I'm really hoping to have some awesome treats for the finkies.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Fraction posted:

A lotttttt of people use alpha rolls or slaps/kicks ("touches") to vent aggressive feelings toward their dog, justifying it because ~dominance~

I slap my dog around all the time but she just thinks I'm playing. Gonna have to put more arm into it I guess

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I slap my dog all day erryday

then when i accidentally gently kicked a ball into her she acted like she'd been shot

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Levitate posted:

Gonna have to put more arm into it I guess

The only disciplinary tool you need: http://goo.gl/3MZnu

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

I whack Angus around the ribs/butt/chest all the time in play and praise and I will absolutely give him a smack on the rear end in a serious situation, usually when he has something that he really shouldn't and is trying to play keepaway by keeping his butt to me and circling around away from me.

Eva I can smack around gently on the ribs and chest when she's relaxing with me and occasionally in play. If I corrected her physically she would angst forever and probably pee on the floor. Angus' favorite game of "Shove Me" makes Eva come crawling back with tail tucked and she will shove her face into my armpit in apology. It makes me feel like I sucked all joy from her world.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Rixatrix posted:

Are you sure he's not allergic to something or otherwise have health issues causing the obsessive licking? The first symptom of Pi's food allergies was excessive licking and chewing on his paws (between the paw pads/toes). I didn't realize something was wrong for a long time because I just thought licking at paws is a behavioral issue and I need to give him more stuff to do. When he was first diagnosed it had gotten so bad he was reluctant to run or jump and I felt like The Worst Owner.

Edit. gently caress adpositions from here to eternity. God drat it.

I've taken him to the vet for it a few times, but all I got was shrugs and "oh it's just a dog thing". So I don't know. I started him on a wheat and grain free diet the instant we moved here (in December of last year) but that wasn't in response to any allergies. He also, oddly enough, never did that when he was allowed outside for the majority of the day (no yard here) and eating crap food.
Is there any way to find out if he has a specific allergy? I might arrange for him to go to a different vet regardless, though.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Superconsndar posted:

Lmao my stepdad has been yelling at football all weekend, and Moses has decided that it is Very Bad and he is deeply concerned that there is something incredibly wrong with him. When he gets loud Moses goes over to him and his eyes get all huge and he whines and paws his leg like "SHOULD I CALL SOMEONE" and then goes and gets me or my mom and is like PLEASE COME. PLEASE COME NOW.

My Maltese Sammie is like that. When my wife calls my name from upstairs, he will start wining and barking at me until I go see what it is she wants.

However if I call for her (my wife), he won't even get off the sofa.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Beck interprets any kind of physical correction as a deep offense against herself, her family, and her entire way of life and will hold a grudge about it forever. If I stamp my feet near her she falls over trying to apologise. During play though she loves being shoved, rolled over, and having her face smacked from one hand to the other. Her favorite joke is to put her mouth around my arm with only her lips touching me. Doing that always makes her spin around in circles because haha, acting like I'm going to bite you is the funniest thing in the world!

I have to put up with her lovely sense of humor but god forbid someone raise their voice while pointing at her.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

Asstro Van posted:

I was always lead to believe that a little garlic was fine in dog stuffs? That's news to me, thanks for letting me know.

(No more garlicy things for you any more, dogs).

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Pew! Pew! posted:

Is there any way to find out if he has a specific allergy? I might arrange for him to go to a different vet regardless, though.
Pi was put on an elimination diet and I added food items (bi?)weekly one by one to his diet to see what it was he couldn't deal with. He started out eating only raw chicken and grated zucchini for a couple of weeks and he remained symptom free during that time. It was pretty tedious making his food and being all fussy about everything, but it paid off and he's now mostly symptom free with no medication. I'm lazy and like to feed kibble, so when I figured out his worst allergens (fish, mutton, corn), I tested a couple of quality brands that offered a hypoallergenic formula and luckily found one that Pi does well on.

That said, elimination diets should be supervised by a vet and definitely not all paw licking is pathological. Pi's feet got bad enough to cause him obvious discomfort and they'd weep fluid and even a bit of blood all over everything. That's actually how I finally realized to even check his feet - I found stains on his bedding and started to wonder where they came from. At this point we'd already been to the vet at least once or twice because Pi was listless and obviously unwell, but the vet hadn't thought of checking his feet and I didn't think of mentioning Pi chewing/licking on them. It probably didn't help that I told him not to do it, which made him do it only when I wasn't around (which made me think he'd pretty much stopped doing it :downs: )

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
My sister in law's dog is like that. Poor guy has stained paws (he's a white maltese poodle mix) from him licking them constantly. But these are the kind of people who won't take him to the vet cause "he's done with his shots"

Is the red staining transmittable? I had Sammie clear of the red staining for the longest time but it seems to be back (though not as bad) and I am wondering if it is because I dog sitted the in law's pooch.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Here are some dog treat recipes that I plan on trying out this holiday season. Hopefully I have a pissee with a dog!

Also I have to pimp collarmania for probably the hundredth time for people looking for new collars for the holidays. I won a nice embroidered crypton loop martingale last year and since then Major's neck has gotten all flabby and it got too snug. I emailed and asked if I could send it in and have the loop made bigger and she said of course, send it on in.

I was waiting for the last couple of weeks for an invoice but instead the collar arrived today, just the right size, and she didn't charge me anything for return shipping or repair. It's my favorite of Major's many collars so I'm thrilled to be able to uses it again. They definitely have the best costumer service around and I'm pretty sure everyone I know with dogs are getting new collars for christmas now.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
I got this ridiculous chirpy thing today and the zoo didn't know what to make of it. I wonder if anyone else's animals would be disturbed by the sound.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Abbeh posted:

I got this ridiculous chirpy thing today and the zoo didn't know what to make of it. I wonder if anyone else's animals would be disturbed by the sound.

Holy crap we had one of those one Christmas when I was a kid. We buried it deep inside the tree to muffle the sound some. But man o man was that some holiday.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Abbeh posted:

That would make a very successful firework imitating device

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
Dog what are you doing

What are you doing dog

What are you doing

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)

Lladre posted:

Holy crap we had one of those one Christmas when I was a kid. We buried it deep inside the tree to muffle the sound some. But man o man was that some holiday.

And you kept it plugged in??

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I found some freaking awesome ribbon for cheap that I can't wait to make collars/leashes out of.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Guys, guys.

I got a sample of Angel by Thierry Mugler in the mail and this morning I put it on because it smells like lavender and vanilla and dark amber and yum, but now that most of the day has passed and it's had time to mix with my chemistry it smells like Fresh Step Multi-Cat.

I like it.

:negative:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Abbeh posted:

It sounds like a bird's take on the A bomb falling.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Rufus En Fuego posted:

Guys, guys.

I got a sample of Angel by Thierry Mugler in the mail and this morning I put it on because it smells like lavender and vanilla and dark amber and yum, but now that most of the day has passed and it's had time to mix with my chemistry it smells like Fresh Step Multi-Cat.

I like it.

:negative:

I laughed harder at this than I should have, I think.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Skizzles posted:

I laughed harder at this than I should have, I think.

Don't worry. I'm finding it very difficult to take myself seriously right now.

Edit: Let me make things worse by saying that I absolutely hate the scent of baby powder, but because this stuff smells so specifically like cat litter it's somehow okay. Crazy Cat Lady skill maxed?

Rufus En Fuego fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 5, 2012

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Abbeh posted:

And you kept it plugged in??

I come from the kind of family that is not going to throw away something they just paid good money for.

And returning something to the store is an alien concept.

We also happen to be legal aliens.

And at that time the whole Christmas tree thing was novel. My folks were making it up as they went along from what they saw in store displays, neighbors houses and the Lawrence Welk show. We had so much stuff on the trees you could not see green anywhere.

I am pretty sure it went for about a week before my grandpa knocked it out of the tree by "accident". He was cool like that. My drum set also had an accident.

The one you have is firing off a lot more frequently than the one we had (unless we just got numb to it after a while)

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Your grandpa was a wise man. I don't think we'll be plugging this in often, if at all.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Abbeh posted:

Your grandpa was a wise man. I don't think we'll be plugging this in often, if at all.

Re-gift it to somebody you dislike.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

AcetylCoA! posted:

Re-gift it to somebody you dislike.

My family has been at war with some cousins with more and more terrible gifts. It started with an ant farm from them (don't give pets as gifts, even ants!) and has escalated to us giving them a dog cookie jar that randomly barks super loud if you jostle it the slightest bit. They don't even have a dog.

I'm going to have to look for one of those ornaments.

vvv Yes! vvv

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 6, 2012

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Instant Jellyfish posted:

My family has been at war with some cousins with more and more terrible gifts. It started with an ant farm from them (don't give pets as gifts, even ants!) and has escalated to us giving them a dog cookie jar that randomly barks super loud if you jostle it the slightest bit. They don't even have a dog.

I'm going to have to look for one of those ornaments.

http://www.amazon.com/Silver-Filigree-Chirping-Christmas-Ornament/dp/B005OKCR2A

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Am... am I the only pit bull advocate who does not give a poo poo about Pit Boss or Pit Bulls & Parolees? :( I'm sure they do some good stuff for dogs and all that but the shows are just loving stupid.

Shorty Rossi is coming to another event here in Louisville, at which I have to volunteer, and of course everyone's making GBS threads their pants over it.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)

Hah, time to buy a ton of them and decorate my sister's house when she's out.

In other news, Zoso rolled in something stinky and got a bath but he still reeks. It smells like anal gland fluid :smith: anyone have a good way of cleaning that? It's also all over his collar and the sweater he was wearing - the NEW sweater he was wearing...

I even have a series of pictures of Zoso getting his stank on (plus new sweater):

:smugdog:

Abbeh fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 6, 2012

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Abbeh posted:

Hah, time to buy a ton of them and decorate my sister's house when she's out.

In other news, Zoso rolled in something stinky and got a bath but he still reeks. It smells like anal gland fluid :smith: anyone have a good way of cleaning that? It's also all over his collar and the sweater he was wearing - the NEW sweater he was wearing...

I even have a series of pictures of Zoso getting his stank on (plus new sweater):

:smugdog:

To be honest, that sweater reminds me of Mr. Yuck, which means that quite naturally, it was meant to be rolled in stanky things.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:

Skizzles posted:

Am... am I the only pit bull advocate who does not give a poo poo about Pit Boss or Pit Bulls & Parolees? :( I'm sure they do some good stuff for dogs and all that but the shows are just loving stupid.

Shorty Rossi is coming to another event here in Louisville, at which I have to volunteer, and of course everyone's making GBS threads their pants over it.

I would occasionally watch the pit boss and I thought shorty rossi was pretty cool. But then I added him on my fb and he posts pictures of his pets. His dogs are all fat and he takes HORRID care of his pet birds. They are all in tiny cages...all sorts of finches, parakeets, tiels, parrots too. And they all eat a seed diet. I actually responded to one of his pictures that he needs to read up on bird care...

So yeah, I think he is an idiot now. But Hercules is pretty cute.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Skizzles posted:

Both shows make me want to dunk my head in acid, also fight dogs.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I remember seeing one episode of Pit Bulls & Parolees, and had I just stumbled onto that episode and had no clue what it was, I would have never guessed it was a show about dogs. Half the episode was "OH NO THERE ARE BEES, THIS IS A VERY SERIOUS THING, WE WILL ALL DIE *dramatic music*" and the other half was "TEEHEE, TIA'S DAUGHTERS IN BIKINIS GETTING WET to raise money"

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Them freaking out over the bees was amazing.

DOGS AND BEES ARE A BAD COMBINATION AND DOGS COULD DIE

~sopping wet tits~

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Superconsndar posted:

Both shows make me want to dunk my head in acid, also fight dogs.

But then you will generate so much "its all in how you raise them" and "bait dog :qq:" you will want to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Skizzles posted:

I have only watched Pit Boss and half the time I was yelling at the tv. My biggest problem with him (on top of what you all already hinted at/stated) is that he goes about EVERYTHING in a stupid way. People left their dogs in a house alone for what they heard has been multiple days? He smashes the window with a bat and climbs in. (I was cheering for the dogs to maul the weird short guy breaking into their territory, but it never happened) Stupid. He was on a radio show in one episode and an anti-pit bull person called in and pretty calmly voiced their concerns and he just started screaming at her instead of calmly educating her. Stupid. Then he acts like shelters are The Enemy that just wants to euthanize animals for giggles.

Oh and the way he says pit bulls pisses me off. Pit boools.

• Locked thread