Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

7thBatallion posted:

So how much would it cost to have a custom sculpt made of this? Any estimates?

First: how big is the drat thing? I know it's Armorcast, but I've never seen it next to anything else for scale. If it's as big as a Hierodule, it probably won't cost as much as the Forgeworld one, but if it Harridan-sized it might cost a pretty penny.

Personally I'd charge around I dunno, $80-$100 to do it, but that is probably because I used to play 'nids and I love making huge creatures. Slight bias there :v:

Second: what prevents you from trying to make one yourself? If you're going for one that's close to the one pictured, it's not really super-detailed and you could make it out of wire and a bunch of apoxy-sculpt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goat Bouillabaise
Sep 21, 2005
Strike Force DUMBASS!

Companion Cube posted:

Octoprince is looking pretty snazzy! Sometimes I think I should've gone into Thousand Sons instead of Emperor's Children, blue and gold and pharoah heads on everything looks so sharp.

Hey, thanks very much! Although purple and gold is just as awesome, plus you get extra tentacles. The head in this case isn't a pharaoh head but a trimmed-down bird head from the Chaos Spawn sprues along with horns trimmed from one of the Daemon Prince head options. Mostly because I think RAR DEEMUN HED looks kinda dumb and overused. The fun thing about playing Tzeentch (and CSMs in general) is that everything can loving glow. Lots of practice doing glow/light effects coming up.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Slimnoid posted:

First: how big is the drat thing? I know it's Armorcast, but I've never seen it next to anything else for scale. If it's as big as a Hierodule, it probably won't cost as much as the Forgeworld one, but if it Harridan-sized it might cost a pretty penny.

Personally I'd charge around I dunno, $80-$100 to do it, but that is probably because I used to play 'nids and I love making huge creatures. Slight bias there :v:

Second: what prevents you from trying to make one yourself? If you're going for one that's close to the one pictured, it's not really super-detailed and you could make it out of wire and a bunch of apoxy-sculpt.

I have absolutely no sculpting skill whatsoever, and its sized with the old Exocrine, maybe larger, best I can tell. And good to know, you'll be quite useful in the not too distant future.

And that is the only Armorcast thing I am missing, besides that all I need is one of four prototype Termagants, a couple Zoats, and the Epicast Mycetic Spore and I have every 2nd Ed. 'Nid ever made.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

7thBatallion posted:

I have absolutely no sculpting skill whatsoever, and its sized with the old Exocrine, maybe larger, best I can tell. And good to know, you'll be quite useful in the not too distant future.

And that is the only Armorcast thing I am missing, besides that all I need is one of four prototype Termagants, a couple Zoats, and the Epicast Mycetic Spore and I have every 2nd Ed. 'Nid ever made.

Huh, how big is the Exocrine? Or any of the Armorcast models? I've never seen one in real life and very few to scale with something 40k-sized. A couple Titans and that's about it.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Rules question about Tyranid Zoanthropes (or any Psykers, really): when I choose to roll for psychic powers instead of using the powers in the book, do I have to do so for all available powers? Say I would like to keep the Warp Lance but ditch the Warp Blast. Can I? RAW suggests you have to choose what you want to go for, but then again you can mix and match the psychic power trees, so I'm not really sure.

Here's the RAW from the current FAQ:

Any model with psychic powers may use the psychic disciplines
found in the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook, instead of those in
Codex: Tyranids. If it does so, for each psychic power it has from
Codex: Tyranids (including those it has purchased), generate a
new power from either the Biomancy, Telekinesis or Telepathy
disciplines (in any combination) before armies are deployed.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
RAW makes me think no.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

If you choose to swap your powers for rolls, you must swap all of them.

BRB FAQ posted:

Q: Can psychic powers be mixed and matched from the psychic
disciplines and those found in the Codexes? (p418)
A: No. You may select from the psychic powers listed in the
Codex as normal or swap them for a number of rolls on the
psychic disciplines tables.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Thanks, good to know!

I've recently been to a gaming club, and they're starting a 40k campaign which I'll most likely join. It'll be an ongoing, galaxy-spanning thing with a gamemaster, troop movements and all that. Right now I'm debating wether to go with my Necrons or my Tyranids. To make up my mind, I made up two lists for the 500-points bracket where the first couple encounters will most likely occur.

Necron:
Overlord w/ Command Barge, Warscythe, Mindshackle Scarabs - 195
Annihilator Barge - 90
2x8 Warriors (or 6/5/5 Warriors) - 208

2 vehicles with initial 13 armor thanks to the shielding seems almost TOO nasty in a 500 points game...

Tyranids:
Tervigon with Talons, glands, toxin sacs, 2nd Warp Power - 200
2x 14 Termagaunts - 140
2x Hive Guard - 100
1x Zoanthrope - 60 (Synapse for the Hive Guard)

... but then so does a T6 W6 creature ;) What do you think? Right now I'm leaning towards Necrons, since their Codex seems far more versatile and able to let me make varied competitive lists, while most semi-competitive Tyranids list seem to work along a predetermined path: Tervigons, Flyrants, Hive Guard.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So how viable would an IG army be with Chekov and 300 conscripts?(Not that I would actually make such and army, I was just curious.) I mean, with that many bodies, would it actually work just on the tactic of cover the entire board and get all of the enemy vehicles surrounded by cannon fodder that can easily be replaced?

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

Luebbi posted:

... but then so does a T6 W6 creature ;) What do you think? Right now I'm leaning towards Necrons, since their Codex seems far more versatile and able to let me make varied competitive lists, while most semi-competitive Tyranids list seem to work along a predetermined path: Tervigons, Flyrants, Hive Guard.

T6 W6 will get ID'd by the first (of many) GK list you are sure to encounter. Necrons have a much wider variety of useful and fun (as opposed to useless and aggravating) choices.

Speaking of (sorta), I'm in the middle of putting together a unit of Necron Tomb Blades. Really neat models. The asthetic is interesting. IRL on a motorcycle you tend to wrap yourself around your bike to varying degrees, but these Tomb Blades the opposite is true: the bike wraps around the Necron, making it less or a rider and more of a internal component, and thats even before you read the fluff stating that the "pilots" does not even fly the drat thing, just chooses among a array of flight and attack patterns, and before you even notice the cables running from the dudes back and spine and forehead, dude is literally wired into the bike.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Luebbi posted:

Tyranids:
Tervigon with Talons, glands, toxin sacs, 2nd Warp Power - 200
2x 14 Termagaunts - 140
2x Hive Guard - 100
1x Zoanthrope - 60 (Synapse for the Hive Guard)

If you free up 15pts (from the Talons and a couple of termies) you can take a 3rd power and have a good chance of rolling Endurance and/or Iron Arm. Endurance has a better range than Catalyst* and gives a shot at regenerating wounds (which Hive Guard will find useful). Iron Arm is potentially insane, especially at 500pts. A T9 W6 unit? Yes please.
Failing those you can also roll Warp Speed which gives your Tervigon more of a bite in melee. Remember that when Smashing, you half base attacks before adding bonus ones, so that's an extra D3 S10 attacks.

*It also doesn't count as a shooting attack, unlike Catalyst, so you don't need line of sight and can still fire the Terivgons normal weapons at enemies that turn.

azwethinkweizm
Jul 20, 2008
Question:

I've got some Necron Immortals/Deathmarks to assemble, and I don't know which to build.

I've got 15 Immortals already, but 2x10 model units would be nice. I don't intend on buying any Scythe transports or using VoD Crypteks with either Immortals or Deathmarks.
Are Deathmarks still a viable unit without these? I've heard great things about them but I don't know if it's just because of the Abyssal Staff template wounding on 2+ or being bussed around by Scythes.

Would appreciate your help on this!

Kosmonaut
Mar 9, 2009

azwethinkweizm posted:

Question:

I've got some Necron Immortals/Deathmarks to assemble, and I don't know which to build.

I've got 15 Immortals already, but 2x10 model units would be nice. I don't intend on buying any Scythe transports or using VoD Crypteks with either Immortals or Deathmarks.
Are Deathmarks still a viable unit without these? I've heard great things about them but I don't know if it's just because of the Abyssal Staff template wounding on 2+ or being bussed around by Scythes.

Deathmarks are probably the best sniper unit in the game. Unfortunately that's sort of like being at the top of your remedial class. It would probably benefit your army more to just take a few more Immortals but I can see being sick of painting them.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

jadebullet posted:

So how viable would an IG army be with Chekov and 300 conscripts?(Not that I would actually make such and army, I was just curious.) I mean, with that many bodies, would it actually work just on the tactic of cover the entire board and get all of the enemy vehicles surrounded by cannon fodder that can easily be replaced?

Well, you'd have to also take a platoon command squad and 2 platoon infantry squads for each unit of Conscripts, so that ends up being another 150 dudes on top of that. The points required for an army like that almost guarantee that your opponent will have something on hand that can deal with them. One Land Raider Crusader, Leman Russ squadron, flyer, Wraithlord can shut down that army. Then again, you're not playing that kind of army with the intent of rolling your opponent, just of drowning them in bodies.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

azwethinkweizm posted:

Question:

I have 5 deathmarks, the models look really cool but I have yet to find a way to make them work for me on the battle field. Their weapons aren't really that long range, so they have to get pretty close to be effective. Every time I have run them they get charged after the turn they arrive and die, before even coming close to making up their points. Maybe I just don't know how to use them right (have heard putting some of the Cryptechs in with them is good) but in my experience having 5 more immortals would be stronger.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

DeathMarks are hard to use right. It really depends whats you're facing. Last game I was against Tyranids and tired just parking them in cover instead of DSing and took his Tyrant warlord for the preferred shot. As soon as his rear end hit the ground they lit him up and killed him in one round. Also adding the target relay from the Stalker is even more hilarious.

I have tried DSing on my turn and the enemy's, and its never been that great. Ya they might drop their target, but the are usually dropped behind enemy line and are screwed after that. Same goes for giving them a Scythe and essentially doing the same thing. I liked just leaving them on the board and making the enemy come to me since I am a shooting army anyways.

They are no staple unit, but they can be pretty good at times, and can provide a safety bubble that keeps MC's away from you. Ten of those rapid firing with preferred targets spells one dead monster.

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10

That is a very cool daemon prince, and giving me slow motivation to kitbash things in more creative ways as far as chaos is concerned.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

The Impaler posted:

That is a very cool daemon prince, and giving me slow motivation to kitbash things in more creative ways as far as chaos is concerned.

I have a spare set of those maulerfiend arms, and I am now totally stealing this idea because I have 3 princes sitting around doing nothing but begging to be hacked up for projects. Also that blue and gold looks boss Goat.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

I'M NOT ABOUT TO START SPENDING MONEY ON THE FORUMS, THANKS.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Yeah, I'll probably go back and do DE, GK and Necrons, then update new books as they come out.

I did a thing and added Blight Drones in case anyone needs them.
http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/391397/Chaos_Space_Marines_6th_Edition.cat

<edit> I just saw this host requires an email address from downloaders. I'm looking for another filehost right now.

<edit again> This should work http://temp-share.com/show/KdPf6ajFh

Loaf32 fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 7, 2012

Goat Bouillabaise
Sep 21, 2005
Strike Force DUMBASS!

The Impaler posted:

Killer_Bees! posted:

I have a spare set of those maulerfiend arms, and I am now totally stealing this idea because I have 3 princes sitting around doing nothing but begging to be hacked up for projects. Also that blue and gold looks boss Goat.

Hey, thanks you guys. Once I get decent picture I'm sure all the HORRIBLE FLAWS will show up and I will want to shoot myself in the face, but it's turned out pretty fearsome. :D I'm going to work on a Maulerfield concept that reworks the torso and the tendrils into a kind of horrible squid-cuttlefish-thing for EXTRA MAGICAL HORROR.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

xtothez posted:

*It also doesn't count as a shooting attack, unlike Catalyst, so you don't need line of sight and can still fire the Terivgons normal weapons at enemies that turn.

Catalyst is used in the movement phase fwiw. Otherwise I agree with all your advice, I'd find points to keep scything talons though, rerolling ones can help.

Adrian Finol
Sep 5, 2004
Work in progress of a Spyder. I'm really digging the entire Canoptek line, they have been a joy to assemble and paint.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Adrian Finol posted:

Work in progress of a Spyder. I'm really digging the entire Canoptek line, they have been a joy to assemble and paint.

drat, your lines are so smooth and clean.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've updated the location of my repository:

http://tinyurl.com/Battlescribe

This is a real directory, so I won't have to deal with janky loving dropbox.

contents:
CSM 6th ed. (including IA: Aeronautica flyers)
IA:8 Elysian Drop Troops

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 7, 2012

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
:siren: DarkSphere is back! They ship to all of Europe again!:siren: :buddy:
I just got a mail about it. The only place I've bought Warhammer stuff from I can recommend them myself, I ordered from Sweden and got my stuff within a week.

http://www.darksphere.co.uk/

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Finally got my Chaos Spawn and extra Flamers of Tzeentch in the mail! :woop: Excited to paint more daemons, though I really need to get back to my deathless space robots as well.

Now I just need to work out a list for the escalation league game this Friday. Probably going to go either Chaos or Necrons, as 75% of players pay loyalist MEq and I've demolished people so strongly with Nids that I'd feel bad playing them two weeks in a row (it's a league where you can play any faction so long as you change your list each week).

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
So happy about Darksphere shipping again. I haven't bought anything at all since they closed shop because I couldn't be bothered to deal with Maelstrom.

Self high five for that decision.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Rocket Hobbies were a decent stand-in but very happy Darksphere is back. Well, sort of. My wallet seems to have misplaced itself...

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

contents:

That's awesome. Can you link directly to the .cat files? I'm getting an error when I try to download with the mobile version.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://tinyurl.com/CSMCatalogue
http://tinyurl.com/ElysianCatalogue

I've added the IA:A 2nd Ed. poo poo to CSM (Chaos Contemptor, Giant Spawn, Spined Chaos Beast) along with the Decimator.

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

I'm delightfully forgettable.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

contents:

I dunno what I'm doing wrong, but after I add this repository absolutely nothing happens. I don't get an error message or anything, I just get a blank battlescribe with no data to choose from. The program says it successfully updated the repository data, but simply I get nothing to use. I haven't used battlescribe before without being bombarded by error messages, so I think it's just that I'm doing something wrong. I'm running it on Mac OSX, so I'm wondering if for some stupid reason the operating system has anything to do with it.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

http://tinyurl.com/CSMCatalogue
http://tinyurl.com/ElysianCatalogue

I've added the IA:A 2nd Ed. poo poo to CSM (Chaos Contemptor, Giant Spawn, Spined Chaos Beast) along with the Decimator.

Bad rear end! It looks like the Blight Drone points do not increase with selecting multiples in a unit. I added 2 more, and the points total lists 125. Just an FYI.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tailfnz posted:

I dunno what I'm doing wrong, but after I add this repository absolutely nothing happens. I don't get an error message or anything, I just get a blank battlescribe with no data to choose from. The program says it successfully updated the repository data, but simply I get nothing to use. I haven't used battlescribe before without being bombarded by error messages, so I think it's just that I'm doing something wrong. I'm running it on Mac OSX, so I'm wondering if for some stupid reason the operating system has anything to do with it.

I have no idea about your spaceman operating system. Sorry.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Loaf32 posted:

Bad rear end! It looks like the Blight Drone points do not increase with selecting multiples in a unit. I added 2 more, and the points total lists 125. Just an FYI.

Yeah, whoops. Fixed.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
I haven't touched my Warhammer dudes in a long time due to Uni and stuff. But I am not exactly motivated to go back and paint Guardsmen right now, figured that I could pick up an IG Chimera or something. Troop transports are always good right? I have an IG Battleforce + One box of Shock Troopers right now.

humannature
Apr 28, 2010

I was a vegan Hibernian Warden, but I gave that up to join the flesh-eating Chaotic Socialist Space Republic.

Torabi posted:

I haven't touched my Warhammer dudes in a long time due to Uni and stuff. But I am not exactly motivated to go back and paint Guardsmen right now, figured that I could pick up an IG Chimera or something. Troop transports are always good right? I have an IG Battleforce + One box of Shock Troopers right now.

Chimeras are great! I haven't painted one myself, but they look fun. Vets in Chimeras is an easy way to start off with IG because you don't have to paint so many infantry to get started. Foot blobs are rough to paint (I'm in boyz painting hell now myself.)

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Assuming it doesn't get "fixed" in an FAQ to allow a Noise Marine Champ to take a sonic weapon, what's the best load out for him? As is? Plasma pistol for the bonus cc attack and/or power weapon? I'm guessing Doom Sirens only go on Champs in cc-focused units, rather than midfield shooty units?

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Adrian Finol posted:

I really dig this, very tidy paintjob and the blue is a great colour, makes the model pop!

EDIT: Speaking of Necrons, another rules question: can you attack a Command Barge in CC or do you have to attack the Overlord?

Luebbi fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 7, 2012

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
You can attack either/or/both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lungboy posted:

Assuming it doesn't get "fixed" in an FAQ to allow a Noise Marine Champ to take a sonic weapon, what's the best load out for him? As is? Plasma pistol for the bonus cc attack and/or power weapon? I'm guessing Doom Sirens only go on Champs in cc-focused units, rather than midfield shooty units?

Shooty noise marines are already scary enough to charge: assuming 10 on foot, that's probably average one dead MEQ from overwatch and then they're swinging second anyway. Yeah, the doom siren really boosts the "don't come near me with a 3+ save" bubble, but those points can usually find better use elsewhere.

• Locked thread