Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Dillbag posted:

I really don't know what to think about this. It kind of looks like one of those hand-painted Ghanian rice sack posters.

I hated this poster for the first 3 or 4 seconds I was looking at it and then it all clicked and suddenly I loved it. I'm not sure what happened, but one moment I hated it and the next I thought it was perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dillbag posted:

I really don't know what to think about this. It kind of looks like one of those hand-painted Ghanian rice sack posters.

I see from the signature that this was done by The Dude Designs, who did the poster for Hobo With A Shotgun. He talks about the process he did when coming up with the DVD cover.

quote:

I wanted to create something in a true 80s keyart style, that was VERY action packed, putting piper in an Italian poster style, testosterone driven almost god like religious icon standing aloft like a beacon of social commentary surrounded by the imposing odds of alien control, and NOT forgetting Keith David (who sadly gets pretty much left off all the promotional material for they live, the mans survives The Thing! hes A LEGEND in his own right They Live, The Thing, Road House, platoon COME ON!)

quote:

For pipers image I wanted this rippling muscle god with the awesome blond streaked mullet flowing man (he is massive in the film, the guy was a wrestler and that's where most of his fan base comes from, so i needed to represent the 80s WWF crew). so i thought to hell with it and just rip the god drat the shirt sleeves off, i know it doesn't happen in the film but THAT'S the point, pick up a copy of any Bronx Warriors on VHS and you will know where I'm coming from. Visually this is all steeped in 70s/80s Italian poster/video art history and people like Enzo Sciotti (its so ingrained in my brain now that its almost instinct). He has a total shooting from the pelvis stance of resistance as he's striding adversity. Like i said i did want to give this piece a saintly religious iconography vibe... which is something that MUST have been an influence on the Italian works too, with there culture so steeped in the church, that's my theory anyway!. I didn't want to cover his eyes as i felt it removed the emotion, so Keith was given the cool shades to convey that and piper has his in the pocket.

BTW, he did a DVD cover for King Of New York for Arrow Video in the UK.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 7, 2012

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I hated this poster for the first 3 or 4 seconds I was looking at it and then it all clicked and suddenly I loved it. I'm not sure what happened, but one moment I hated it and the next I thought it was perfect.

I had the same experience.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Dillbag posted:

It looks like his whole chest is abs, like he's got a 20 pack. He drops his drawers and he's just got 4 more abs staring back at you.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
"I am here to do sit-ups and chew bubblegum, and i'm alllll out of bubblegum."

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Dillbag posted:

This is fantastic! Also interesting that he remembered to include Roddy's wedding ring. Nice attention to detail!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's Terrence Malick, so I assume it's just a lot of people staring off into the middle distance while you can hear their inner monologue.
It's mostly that but you can't hear their inner monologue. Also there's a scene with a pretty badly CG'd dinosaur in it.

It's a beautiful movie, definite eye candy but the characters and story are kind of tedious and not very interesting.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

kiimo posted:

Unfortunately it has been proven time and time again that keeping information from the public on a film with no equity translates into them not caring about it and the box office suffers. Brad Pitt has a lot of equity but as mentioned Paramount is hurting right now and this might come off as a trick and it is a big gamble.

It's like the trailer that shows you beautiful and magical things but doesn't give you a story. Sure filmmakers like it but what you end up with is Tree of Life grossing $13m domestically.

Which is why you see this

Get replaced with this

when it isn't tracking well. I've never seen this film. Most of America hasn't either. It looks confusing and kind of hard to wrap your brain around exactly what the story is.

Unfortunately I feel like the same thing is happening with Cloud Atlas.
That latter poster is German.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lobok posted:

What's left to do with zombies at this point? What's to offer that Walking Dead currently doesn't cover or hasn't been covered with other zombie movies? Blowing them up with tanks?

Good writing.

And Brad Pitt, I guess.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah I know. I didn't really want to waste a lot of time looking for a better example.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Zombie movies, at least the good ones, really aren't about zombies and the killing thereof.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Aphrodite posted:

Good writing.

Which the movie has abandoned in favor of making it a generic race against time action-thriller :sigh:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Zombie movies, at least the good ones, really aren't about zombies and the killing thereof.

Let me show you my Zombie Apocalypse short fiction novel and get back to me on that :smug:

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002
More (maybe the last set?) Universal Monsters mondo prints for this thursday. All by Jay Shaw

The Mummy

Creature From the Black Lagoon

The Wolf Man

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's Terrence Malick, so I assume it's just a lot of people staring off into the middle distance while you can hear their inner monologue.

Bingo. I love the other Malick movies I've seen, but this one was so corny as to border on self-parody.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

DKWildz posted:

More (maybe the last set?) Universal Monsters mondo prints for this thursday. All by Jay Shaw

The Wolf Man

The Wolf Man is actually a misnomer because it is in fact about a man who transforms into a Lynx.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Mister Chief posted:

The Wolf Man is actually a misnomer because it is in fact about a man who transforms into a Lynx.

Pyooma Man??

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DKWildz posted:

The Mummy

Creature From the Black Lagoon

The Wolf Man

Wow, they certainly saved the best worst till last.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Infamous Sphere posted:

People keep going on about how hot Jeremy Renner was in The Avengers and I just think of Jeffrey Dahmer. God, they even have vaguely similar names.
Funny thing is that there was a reality show back in 2003 that had a bunch of aspiring actors that followed Renner when he got his first big break on Dahmer. Wonder if it still exists anywhere?

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0348510/

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
20 years? God so old.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aatrek posted:

20 years? God so old.

That part where the raptor leaps up at the girl's leg after she gets off the ladder had me reflexively pull my legs up in the theatre when I saw it as a kid. I wonder if 3D can make me do that as an adult.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
^^^ This.

Jurassic Park is my favorite movie of all time. I usually hate this trend of re-releasing movies in 3D, but I will SO go see that.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Although I'm not big on 3D conversions, it's nice to see that people want to see movies readily available on video on the big screen.

Pretty good new "Zero Dark Thirty" poster.

What's funny is the layout made me immediately think of this poster:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Too bad U2 3D didn't end with the knowledge that Bono was dead at the bottom of the ocean.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Robert Denby posted:

Although I'm not big on 3D conversions, it's nice to see that people want to see movies readily available on video on the big screen.

Pretty good new "Zero Dark Thirty" poster.

What's funny is the layout made me immediately think of this poster:

Eh, I like the redacted version better. Also in a totally gross cross promotion, the new FPS Medal of Honor: Warfighter has a multiplayer map pack with a Zero Dark Thirty movie theme.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

^^^ This.

Jurassic Park is my favorite movie of all time. I usually hate this trend of re-releasing movies in 3D, but I will SO go see that.
The T-Rex in the car scene is going to be intense as gently caress, finally I'll see Jurassic Park in theaters :unsmith:
Can't believe I'm a year older than it though :stare:

Also what happened to the JP GDT?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Aatrek posted:

20 years? God so old.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
It's been 20 years, technology and science have advanced.

I want to see some drat feathers on those dinos.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

404GoonNotFound posted:

It's been 20 years, technology and science have advanced.

I want to see some drat feathers on those dinos.

You can always watch Jurassic Park 3.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Got my Bond movie poster. Was surprised it was printed on some pretty good stock paper. I might have to get a frame for it, it's classy as hell, and will remind me how great the movie was. Definitely try to see it in a real IMAX theater if you can; it's worth the price of admission, especially with the sound quality.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

LesterGroans posted:

Too bad U2 3D didn't end with the knowledge that Bono was dead at the bottom of the ocean.

Why do people say this. Seriously, the guy has done a ton of good but gets poo poo on by everyone for some oblique reason. "He's cocky.""What's with the stupid glasses?"

I mean, I know you're just making a joke. I just don't get where this mainstream loathing is coming from. "Man, this guy surely does win a lot of awards for doing good things. What a prick."

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

South Park did an episode where the entire premise was that Bono does all of these amazing things but he still seems like a douche.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Why do people say this. Seriously, the guy has done a ton of good but gets poo poo on by everyone for some oblique reason. "He's cocky.""What's with the stupid glasses?"

I mean, I know you're just making a joke. I just don't get where this mainstream loathing is coming from. "Man, this guy surely does win a lot of awards for doing good things. What a prick."

Someones in love with Bono.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Someones in love with Bono.

Well let's not kid around, POP is a great album.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The joke's based around the fact that Bono and U2 haven't been good for a very long time. I think the mainstream hate of Bono does come out of a weird, twisted place where they're actually pissed at him for trying to do good things. I feel like Bob Geldof catches poo poo for this a lot too. I mean, let's not quibble here, the guy's kind of a douche--remember the picture of him in a hot tub with two seventeen year olds?--but so are a lot of celebs. He just has the gall to "give back" and "support something". People can't abide that.

This is it. The best thing.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Bob Geldof gets a pass for The Wall. :colbert:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

LesterGroans posted:

The joke's based around the fact that Bono and U2 haven't been good for a very long time. I think the mainstream hate of Bono does come out of a weird, twisted place where they're actually pissed at him for trying to do good things. I feel like Bob Geldof catches poo poo for this a lot too. I mean, let's not quibble here, the guy's kind of a douche--remember the picture of him in a hot tub with two seventeen year olds?--but so are a lot of celebs. He just has the gall to "give back" and "support something". People can't abide that.

Ragging on Bono is fun and all but like you said, the mainstream shift towards actual hatred comes from something really twisted. It's bizarre.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

WickedIcon posted:

Bob Geldof gets a pass for The Wall. :colbert:

I don't know, Michael Hutchence was pretty cool.

Magic Pus
Mar 28, 2010
My main issue with Bono is that after Ian Curtis's death, he supposedly told Tony Wilson that he would "become the frontman that Ian never had a chance to be," or some ridiculous bullshit like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Ragging on Bono is fun and all but like you said, the mainstream shift towards actual hatred comes from something really twisted. It's bizarre.

He wrote the songs for Spider-man the musical.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-epVr5kr8M