Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Davoren posted:

I've installed the Weapon Animation Replacer, everything seems to be working correctly, 1st and 3rd person idle animations appear exactly as they should. However, when I aim with a pistol it defaults to the two handed grip, but I see in the user submitted images that people have a one handed grip with pistols. I'm probably missing something very simple but I can't see what it is, any ideas?

There are different stances and grips you can choose. If you use the FOMOD installer for it, you can see what each one is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Arenovalis posted:

Thanks to Naky and MG again, here's another standalone weapon - Mare's Leg:

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/48241/

And it's a saddle ring oh my god :flashfap:

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Naky posted:

There are different stances and grips you can choose. If you use the FOMOD installer for it, you can see what each one is.

Yeah, I had that working before, just not the one handed aiming, tried it with the installer and now the aiming is working but some parts of weapons from the Armory are missing. I'll just go back to how I had it kinda working before I guess!

Edit: Hmm, went back to what I had before and some parts of guns are still missing in third person, I can't be bothered right now, I'll deal with it later.

Davoren fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 4, 2012

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
That is one bitching mare's leg for sure.

I started a new game using tale of two wastelands, and I have to say it is pretty fun being able to roll through fallout 3 with the armory weapons and signature weapon/armor mods on. Some of the stuff is still buggy and unplayable but most of the game works perfectly fine. Hell yes to mowing down crowds of super mutants with an RPK and the lever action 20 guage from FNV!

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Arenovalis posted:

You're a goddamned saint :swoon: :ocelot::clint:

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

v1ld posted:

First: yay! This + rope kid's mod + PN (- Rebalance) + Puce Moose Tweaks == the greatest game.

One bug found: Perk Rebalance may need a compatibility patch against JSawyer. Your tweak to Cowboy's reqs (any one of the Guns/Explosives/Melee > 45 suffices) is clobbered by JSawyer dropping the damage boost to 20% but leaving the Guns + Melee req in place. I prefer to use the CCO version, so will probably mangle up a patch.

I'm using BOSS to manage the ordering of CCO's mods and compat patches. Someone's already updated the masterlist for an earlier version of CCO. I've updated the list to reflect the latest doc, would you give it a once over please? BOSS will order the files in the order listed here.
Thanks for the kind words.

When you mention the perk overlap, are you taking into consideration that the Perk Rebalance and JSawyer are irreconcilable, and you should load whichever you prefer last, as suggested by the readme?

Regarding BOSS: Wow, that is a lot of work. Thank you for putting that together. You're mostly fine, I just have a few comments.

* In tying in with the above, there are two places the Perk Rebalance can go. Where you have it listed now is only where it should be if you want JSawyer to take precedent; otherwise, it should come later.
* Similarly, JSawyer needs to be squeezed in after the Damage Resistance plugin but before the JSawyer compatibility patches. It may be in your best interest to separate the section for CCO plugins and CCO patches to accommodate where JSawyer needs to fit in, since I don't see JSawyer listed but I do see the patches for it listed.
* CP PN Core Patch and CP PN Equipment Patch are not to be used together with the full CP PN Patch.
* I've honestly pretty much phased out support for the Willow patch by now. It works - purely in a bare bones sense - but the mod is really poorly designed in ways that make it hard to reconcile with a compatibility patch. For instance, I've been informed that Willow gets pissed off at the player if she's fired, so you pretty much have to keep her hired for the entire game. Recall that all companions have to be fired for Follower Tweaks to take effect. This is only one issue of many. To top it all off, I really don't have much respect for the Willow mod and I don't want to dig through the code of it to make a fully-working patch. What I'm getting at is that you may want to consider removing the Willow patch from the list altogether.
* If you decide to partition the lists, as suggested, the Follower Sneak Attacks, Rex Fetch, and Raul Crafting add-ons can pretty much go wherever, as long as they're loaded after Follower Tweaks. They don't have to come after all the patches.
* Similarly, Companion Development can go wherever. Despite the name, it's not actually dependent on any CCO module.

Arenovalis
Dec 8, 2010

Oh, no, I said, "steamed hams." That's what I call hamburgers.
Double trouble, here's a KA-BAR that functions both as melee and throwable:

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/48251/

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Arenovalis posted:

Double trouble, here's a KA-BAR that functions both as melee and throwable:

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/48251/

Wow, that's a pretty sweet looking knife. I appreciate the effort you go through in making these things.

A lot of the custom weapons I've browsed through on Nexus (to supplement the Armory, though most guns are included anyway) look terrible, so it definitely takes a skill you seem to have to make things aesthetically pleasing.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Arenovalis posted:

I just watched Once Upon a Time in the West yesterday and this looks mighty familiar :haw:

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Cirosan posted:

When you mention the perk overlap, are you taking into consideration that the Perk Rebalance and JSawyer are irreconcilable, and you should load whichever you prefer last, as suggested by the readme?

Overlooked/forgot that!

Cirosan posted:

Regarding BOSS:

Thanks for the detailed feedback! I reworked the list completely based on this and it's now spread across various groups in the BOSS masterlist, while still preserving the order you suggested.

The game is very stable now so if anyone's interested in the updated masterlist, let me know. I'm not having much luck in the BOSS thread in getting it updated.

The masterlist should be stored on github and the consumers (BOSS/FOMM) should let you configure the repo location so its easy to manage/fork.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
So where exactly can I find Police Automaton's armor? I already installed the mod but need to find the cabinet first.

The Furious Pirate
Oct 10, 2005
ARGH MATEY!
So, I'm loving DarnUI so far, but there's one minor problem that I can't seem to find a fix for: is there a way to modify the dialog topic list box to be a static height, like it is in the vanilla game? For some reason, the variable height of the box depending on the amount of topics really gets on my nerves. I've tried to fiddle with the .xml files myself, but I can't seem to pin this down.

If anyone can figure out a tweak and share it in the thread, I'd be very grateful.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
So Cream-of-Plenty sent me here from the main Fallout NV thread, and I thought I'd just state my business again here:

It's been a little over a year since Lonesome road came out, and that means it's been a full year since I %100ed Fallout 3 and New Vegas. But I'm feeling the itch again, and I want more!

The problem is, when I beat the everloving hell out of these games, I was not only extremely thorough, I played them in the most difficult manner available, as a character build that I like to call a "Brain in a Jar" since they have 1 strength, 1 endurance, and max Int, playing on the hardest difficulty, have a self imposed restriction from wearing power armor, and in NV I play on hardcore mode. I need more challenge, clearly.

So, right now I'm looking for mods which either raise the difficulty in a balanced way, impose stricter realism (hardcore mode isn't hardcore enough, I want to have to struggle to survive!,) and expand the game's content without adding a bunch of really stupid one shot sidequests designed by retarded teenagers, that give absurd and or broken rewards, and have literally no depth or fun value(like the kind I used to make in Morrowind when I was a retarded teenager.)

Currently, I'm looking at Wanderer's Edition, Undiscovered Capital, Brotherhood Black Ops, and Imp's More Complex Needs for F3. I'm still looking for good content, if you guys and gals know of any. Also, if you can give me any info on the compatibility of these mods, or tell me how they play in your experience, please do!

For NV I've picked out Jsawyer's mod, Requiem for the capital wasteland (although it appears to have vanished from Nexus before could download it, or check out how it works,) The Puce Moose Mod, Cirosan's classic overhaul, and some parts of the cut content mods. I'm a bit concerned about the compatability of all of these, so if anyone can tell me if/how well they work together, id sure appreciate it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Honestly, I had the same goals: Turn NV into a fairly brutal game of survival by jacking up the rarity of most consumables, reducing skill points to emphasize character builds, and making it more difficult to accumulate vast sums of caps by simply playing the game. I found myself losing momentum to keep playing the game around level 16 or 17 because, by that point, I had an abundance of everything and the game seemed to lose a lot of its challenge. That's when I knew I had to change some things.

I did not find any mods that were built to accomplish these goals, but I did figure out that I could tweak several mods to get pretty close.

First, I'm rolling with most of CCO's plugins. The logic here is that, since I'm both reducing the rate at which I level-up and the number of skill points I get per level, I want my selection of traits and perks to actually be worth my while. By default, a lot of perks are garbage and aren't very conducive to novel builds. Also, his changes to followers help reduce the "god mode" effect of rolling around with, say, Boone. This suite of mods is a pretty good template for adding mods to, in my experience.

Then, I threw JSawyer.esp into the mix. On it's own, the plugin is just right for most players. That being said, I still found myself walking to the Mojave Outpost with 18 or 20 Stimpaks and enough drugs to kill a horse. What I ended up doing was opening the plugin in FNVEdit and altering most of the food, medicine, and chems tables to have a rarity value between 88-95. That's a significant cut in the amount of consumables you'll be finding, but not as painful as you may think.

To stiffen up my CCO and JSawyer load out, I grabbed several plugins from Puce Moose's Tweak and Balance center. Namely, all of the DLC rebalancing plugins, "Nastier Mines and Grenades", "Reduced Ammo and Chems", "Tougher Economy", and "Reduced World Items". Now, there are going to be some redundancies between these plugins and JSawyer.esp / CCO, but there will be a lot of things that only Puce Moose's plugins touch. Like JSawyer.esp, I opened Puce Moose's plugins via FNVEdit and dropped their rates to match JSawyer.esp (88-95% chance of nothing). Where both JSawyer and PMT's plugins touched the same things, I just matched the settings to my modified copy of JSawyer.

Finally, I threw two other mods into the mix: The first is "Manual Reload", which keeps track of how much ammo each weapon in your inventory currently has. No more automatic reloads on weapon switch--you actually have to make sure your guns are loaded and ready to go. The second is More Realistic Aiming, which does exactly what it says: There is a natural sway to your weapons which is exacerbated by stance, fatigue, hunger, thirst, radiation exposure, etc.

You may want to throw IMP's More Complex Needs if you're really aiming for that complex survival experience. The nice thing about this load order is that almost none of the conflicts are serious or game breaking--you can just rearrange the order of plugins (within reason) to allow one plugin to overwrite the same changes from another.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 8, 2012

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
I've been thinking about going back to NV and making it more of a hardcore survival-em-up, but it seems like it'd be really difficult to do anything but snipe people all the time if you die in a few hits. How do you guys make non-sniper builds work?

The Furious Pirate
Oct 10, 2005
ARGH MATEY!

Eldoop posted:

I've been thinking about going back to NV and making it more of a hardcore survival-em-up, but it seems like it'd be really difficult to do anything but snipe people all the time if you die in a few hits. How do you guys make non-sniper builds work?

For melee/unarmed, a high endurance, lots of drugs, and heavy armor.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Eldoop posted:

Bullet time. Bullet time and smart use of cover. Also, automatic weapons like a motherfucker. This is pretty much how I've been playing NV for awhile now, using Dynamic Combat alongside IWS and Monster Mod so it gets ridiculously out of hand at times- you can wander into nigh unwinnable fights just by merit of not having the right cover or sheer enemy group size.

Explosives are also extremely useful in this style of gameplay, with the abundance of dynamite and grenades that you can get really coming in handy.

edit: Also good is finding companions to draw fire for that split second you need to get to cover before they explode due to the shower of bullets they will draw from the enemies.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 8, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Eldoop posted:

With my aforementioned load out, it's not very difficult. JSawyer.esp makes the most significant changes to HP, but between CCO and that, the changes are global (NPCs are affected, as well.) You can still take a pretty good beating, however. Nothing like, say, STALKER with some of the harder mods.

What the mod loadout does encourage you to do is make better use of...alternative strategies, I suppose you could call them. For example, walking into Primm at level 4, I might have 25 rounds of 9mm, 15 rounds of 5.56, and 4 or 5 stimpaks. I'll cannibalize other rounds to feed two or three guns, all of which are probably in "okay" condition. Suffice to say, I'm nowhere near able to go in, guns blazing, shooting Psycho and Stimpaks into my eye as I transform into a whirling tornado of automatic 9mm fire.

That means that I might start holding onto those sticks of dynamite, or visiting Chet a little more often to pick up surplus ammo (something I never had to do in the original game.) I might actually have to pick up the bandit leader's Incinerator, recycle some spare fuel, and use that to pad out of my arsenal for a while. I might even spend some extra time scavenging on the off-chance that I come across a .357 and some ammo, or a hit of Psycho.

The scarcity doesn't immediately force you to snipe everything, but it does encourage you to contemplate the environment you're walking into and what sort of tricks you might have to pull in order to even the odds a bit. It's very refreshing (in my opinion.) You make full use of things like powder charges, and bulk ammunition, and 25-skill workbench recipes.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

One of the biggest complaints I have with the vanilla game is that you can be standing there with a minigun firing hundreds of rounds - and the person you're shooting at will gladly run through the gunfire with a pool cue in an attempt to hit you with it.

Has there been any attempt to add more of a "duck and cover" aspect in a mod, where you can actually lay down suppression fire?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Helicity posted:

One of the biggest complaints I have with the vanilla game is that you can be standing there with a minigun firing hundreds of rounds - and the person you're shooting at will gladly run through the gunfire with a pool cue in an attempt to hit you with it.

Has there been any attempt to add more of a "duck and cover" aspect in a mod, where you can actually lay down suppression fire?

Like, "sophisticated" combat AI? I think so, yeah. Search the Nexus for "AI" and see what you can find. For example, I'm pretty sure Arwen made plugins to enhance the combat and encourage NPCs to retreat/find cover/flank--Arwen's Realism Tweaks, I think it was called.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Eldoop posted:

The end result of most modifications that favor the "bullets are fuckin' LETHAL, man!" goal is that bullets and explosives are, in fact, fuckin' lethal. Almost every combat becomes snap-shotting unaware/unprepared targets or sending packs of barely-awake enemies' limbs flying in a fountain of grenade shrapnel. I.e., almost everything favors scoring one or more hits on an enemy from any source as quickly as possible.

Distance, accuracy, rate of fire, and getting the drop on people dominate combat even more than they already do in F:NV. And if an enemy gets the drop on you? Bye. If you have enough time to realize what's happening, you may hobble away with two or three crippled limbs. If an enemy explosive is involved, forget it. You're dead meat. Melee and unarmed become pointless skills unless you're pairing them with stealth, in which case they dominate just as much as shooting people from stealth.

It's arguably much more realistic, but it seems to limit playstyles much more than liberating them.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I'm suspicious of modding the combat too much in New Vegas because I just don't think the environment/engine are really built for it. A lot of the terrain and some of the world props have really strange hitboxes and there is nothing more frustrating than lining up a stealth shot on a tough enemy and seeing the bullet crater an invisible rock instead.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

rope kid posted:

The end result of most modifications that favor the "bullets are fuckin' LETHAL, man!" goal is that bullets and explosives are, in fact, fuckin' lethal. Almost every combat becomes snap-shotting unaware/unprepared targets or sending packs of barely-awake enemies' limbs flying in a fountain of grenade shrapnel. I.e., almost everything favors scoring one or more hits on an enemy from any source as quickly as possible.

Distance, accuracy, rate of fire, and getting the drop on people dominate combat even more than they already do in F:NV. And if an enemy gets the drop on you? Bye. If you have enough time to realize what's happening, you may hobble away with two or three crippled limbs. If an enemy explosive is involved, forget it. You're dead meat. Melee and unarmed become pointless skills unless you're pairing them with stealth, in which case they dominate just as much as shooting people from stealth.

It's arguably much more realistic, but it seems to limit playstyles much more than liberating them.

This is why I prefer to emphasize scarcity over lethality when modding Fallout. The game can certainly withstand some cuts to the availability of pretty much everything without seriously impacting gameplay. It bugs me that even popular mods (like PN) default to weapon damages being largely unaffected by weapon skills, which makes me wonder why I'm bothering to put points into weapon skill. It definitely constrains the RPG aspects of the game.

If I want tense 5-second firefights where bullets literally cause sepsis, I'll go back to STALKER. :colbert:

Can't get enough of that "Stoooooneeey boooooooch!"

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!

rope kid posted:

I thought this might be the case. I'll probably go the scarcity route then. That way my obsessive scrounging will be necessary instead of game-breaking.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This is why I prefer to emphasize scarcity over lethality when modding Fallout. The game can certainly withstand some cuts to the availability of pretty much everything without seriously impacting gameplay.

While I like the 5-second gunfights, I also want horrible scarcity issues on top of that. Even with the JSawyer mod, supplies are still pretty easy to come by in FNV, especially so considering it's an apocalyptic wasteland that was mostly a desert to begin with. I just noticed yesterday that I'm lugging around 10 weight units worth of normal stimpaks + about 20 super stimpaks. I started tossing the expired ones a long time ago. And I haven't bought a single one.

So yeah, even while JSawyer does reducee their numbers, I still get so much I'm gonna have to start throwing them away. I might be interested in a stand-alone mod that vastly reduces the amount of stuff you find and what merchants have for sale.

Not holding my breath anyone is ever going to make a mod like that stand-alone though, they're usually always part of complete overhauls. And I don't want an overhaul since I'm otherwise happy how my game is at the moment.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Anyone know what would cause the idle stance to be so...rigid? Here my guy is fairly relaxed as I slooowly turn the mouse:

Let go of the mouse, BONEITIS kicks in.

It seems to happen with all armors I use, but with power armor it's much more noticeable. I'm wondering if it's due to my use of Geonox's Hero race mod, I only got it cause I wanted cool scars :(

Which I so got :c00l: If I could just throw the scar texture on the standard race that'd be fine but lol my game crashes when I change race :haw:

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Capn Beeb posted:

Anyone know what would cause the idle stance to be so...rigid?

I could be remembering wrong but I think Weapon Animation Replacers mod had different stances on it, even idle ones. Could try reinstalling/installing that. Or it was some other mod. :frog:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
I was thinking it might be that but I didn't have a weapon equipped :iiam:

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!

Fewd posted:

So yeah, even while JSawyer does reducee their numbers, I still get so much I'm gonna have to start throwing them away. I might be interested in a stand-alone mod that vastly reduces the amount of stuff you find and what merchants have for sale.

Not holding my breath anyone is ever going to make a mod like that stand-alone though, they're usually always part of complete overhauls. And I don't want an overhaul since I'm otherwise happy how my game is at the moment.

Puce Moose has what you're looking for!

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Cheers! :toot:

The PMT - Reduced World Items module looks like just what I'm looking for. I think it should play nice with JSawyer.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Fewd posted:

While I like the 5-second gunfights, I also want horrible scarcity issues on top of that. Even with the JSawyer mod, supplies are still pretty easy to come by in FNV, especially so considering it's an apocalyptic wasteland that was mostly a desert to begin with. I just noticed yesterday that I'm lugging around 10 weight units worth of normal stimpaks + about 20 super stimpaks. I started tossing the expired ones a long time ago. And I haven't bought a single one.

Fewd posted:

Cheers! :toot:

The PMT - Reduced World Items module looks like just what I'm looking for. I think it should play nice with JSawyer.

Like Eldoop is saying, your best bet is to grab Puce Moose's "Reduced Ammo and Chems", "Tougher Economy", and "Reduced World Items". That last plugin is especially interesting because it reduces hand-placed loot (just the generic stuff, it doesn't touch unique weapons or anything special) which, as it turns out, is a pretty significant source of loot in the game. Some people don't like the idea of not being able to rely on that cache of Stimpaks every game, but some people also don't like to play the game like men.

Try those plugins out, get a feel for whether or not they're doing the trick and then, if they still feel too generous, open up the plugins in FNVEdit and edit them to have even lower chances (I believe that at least a few of the plugins can have their rates changed via console commands--check the readmes.) It's really easy to do in FNVEdit and takes maybe 5 or 6 minutes, total.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
Haven't been able to find an answer yet, so I thought I'd ask here.

I've downloaded Wanderer's Edition, FOSE, and FOMM; the programs recommended/necessary to install and run WE, but I have no idea how to actually install it. I should probably have mentioned that I've never modded fallout before.

I've got F3 rigged up to launch through FOSE just fine, and FOMM is installed and apparently working, but the WE install instructions say to: launch FOMM and choose the "package manager" option; and then: select the "add new" option (which doesn't seem to exist, so I assume they mean the "add FOMod" button,) and select the full package you downloaded. Once you have selected the file it may take a few minutes to build the FOMod package.

I don't know what they are referring to with the "full package you downloaded," since the mod came as two separate rars and a third 'hot fix' rar, and nothing in any of the folders inside is recognized by FOMM as something I can load, as far as I can tell. Could somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

Edit: I think I figured it out. I had to load the rars themselves.

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 8, 2012

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Do both .rar's, most likely. Then the hotfix.

balance chat: I kinda prefer turning the game into a more Desert-y STALKER game. I find it pretty fun, though what I'd love is to have a bleeding mechanic where damage doesn't just remove hit points, but instead you lose some, and then lose more over time unless you can stop and fix yourself up. Would let you make combat more lethal without it being immediately more lethal.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Going in the other direction, are there any mods to enhance the experience of a nonlethal run? I know the game isn't primarily designed to be played that way, but it's entirely possible - it's just that it gets a bit boring when every hostile encounter just means running and pumping youself full of drugs to stay alive. I figure there might be something like flashbangs, sleep darts and whatnot out there in modland somewhere.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Sorry to report that after taking a closer look at Puce Moose's Reduced World Items, it conflicts with both CCO and JSawyer. The reason it does this is because the author attached the script that makes the disappear-sorcery happen to the base form of all affected ingestibles. Generally, tweaking the base form of something is going to make your mod a compatibility nightmare.

Luckily, the conflict in both cases is relatively benign. Whichever mod loads last will have its changes take precedent. For CCO, the problem area is the ingestibles modified to match the Determined trait. For JSawyer, the problem area is the ingestibles modified to be rebalanced (RadAway, Stimpaks, and Super Stimpaks) and the ingestibles added by the mod (Homemade Stimpaks and Expired Stimpaks).

It should be an easy fix, though. You'd need three compatibility patches: One if you're using CCO with PM, one if you're using JSawyer with PM, and another if you're using all three. I'll see if I can't whip something up myself later.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Cirosan posted:

Sorry to report that after taking a closer look at Puce Moose's Reduced World Items, it conflicts with both CCO and JSawyer. The reason it does this is because the author attached the script that makes the disappear-sorcery happen to the base form of all affected ingestibles. Generally, tweaking the base form of something is going to make your mod a compatibility nightmare.

Luckily, the conflict in both cases is relatively benign. Whichever mod loads last will have its changes take precedent. For CCO, the problem area is the ingestibles modified to match the Determined trait. For JSawyer, the problem area is the ingestibles modified to be rebalanced (RadAway, Stimpaks, and Super Stimpaks) and the ingestibles added by the mod (Homemade Stimpaks and Expired Stimpaks).

It should be an easy fix, though. You'd need three compatibility patches: One if you're using CCO with PM, one if you're using JSawyer with PM, and another if you're using all three. I'll see if I can't whip something up myself later.

Weren't we talking about you incorporating a "world placed items" feature into your mod a long time ago?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Woebin posted:

Going in the other direction, are there any mods to enhance the experience of a nonlethal run? I know the game isn't primarily designed to be played that way, but it's entirely possible - it's just that it gets a bit boring when every hostile encounter just means running and pumping youself full of drugs to stay alive. I figure there might be something like flashbangs, sleep darts and whatnot out there in modland somewhere.

Our crossbow in The Armory has a whole host of crossbow arrows that go with it, among them is a tranq/scrambler type arrows for nonlethally taking out organic and inorganic enemies. You're able to loot them too.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Weren't we talking about you incorporating a "world placed items" feature into your mod a long time ago?
Indeed we were, then life happened and development slowed. The big question to ask is: Is there any reason for CCO to have such a feature when PM already does it? I'm not opposed to making such a thing, but I don't know if there's anything I can do differently enough to warrant the effort.

The only reason that springs to mind is compatibility. PM is basically incompatible with everything under the sun because it modifies so many base forms that are used by so many things; I obviously wouldn't do things that way. But I'm not sure if there's any other way to do it - I'd have to think on it. If NVSE has some sort of GetBaseID feature and if an effect script could detect non-persistent references, that would do it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Cirosan posted:

Indeed we were, then life happened and development slowed. The big question to ask is: Is there any reason for CCO to have such a feature when PM already does it? I'm not opposed to making such a thing, but I don't know if there's anything I can do differently enough to warrant the effort.

The only reason that springs to mind is compatibility. PM is basically incompatible with everything under the sun because it modifies so many base forms that are used by so many things; I obviously wouldn't do things that way. But I'm not sure if there's any other way to do it - I'd have to think on it. If NVSE has some sort of GetBaseID feature and if an effect script could detect non-persistent references, that would do it.

I figured it would be good to incorporate the feature into CCO to eliminate the need for using two plugins from two different authors in addition to a compatibility patch. You do whatever you think is best, though.

Remember that PM's incompatibility only really shows when you use the full suite of mods, which is something I don't see very many people doing. Rather, from most load orders I've seen, the average player grabs 4 or 5 of his(her?) plugins to complement the rest of their load order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Cirosan posted:

It can also be worked around by having BOSS tag the Reduced World Items mod with "Scripts", so that the scripts are loaded into the bashed patch along with the associated item even if the RWI mod is loaded earlier.

While that solved the conflict, the bigger problem is that the scripts can bring performance down to a crawl. I had to disable it after a while since both general exploration and inventory access slowed down considerably (esp. indoors, I think).

I'm guessing the problem is that I have my settings at ultra, which bumps item fade distance to the max. If the scripts - attached to all world items (which is an elegant way of reducing placed items) - are run once for every item within fade distance, then that's a huge volume to search and process the scripts for.

I haven't had the chance to confirm this by tweaking item fade distance, so it's all guessing at this point.

Pity though, it's a great mod.