Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

BrotherAdso posted:

He doesn't have a gimmick, but he is a good set up for a gimmicky veep and a way for the Rs to make a play to keep VA from going permanently purplish-blue.

Hm. Yeah, I can actually see him as part of some double swing state tag team ticket. Like maybe along with Kasich or Rubio (heh) or Walker (lol) or somewhere else they think they can win back by picking a local boy. I don't think it will work, but I could see it being tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Ammat The Ankh posted:

This is the same guy that loves vaginal probes right? That might taint him, especially if the GOP wants to get away from its huge deficit with women.

:rimshot:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Mirthless posted:

Realistically, a celebrity candidate who didn't get into politics independently is unlikely to ever get a serious bid at the office of President. I think the closest we've had to a real celebrity president other than war heroes was Reagan, and Reagan had spent years in politics independent of being a cowboy actor.

This makes me wonder what plans are gestating in Al Franken's head right now.

(man, I'd love to see "Why Not Me" come true)

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
It won't happen, but can you imagine Charlie Crist running for President as a Dem? The main reason it won't is that I'm pretty sure he hates Rick Scott with the burning passion of a thousand suns and is going to try to get his old job back in Tallahassee in 2014.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
The only celebrity candidate that matters is Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson who has said a few times that he will run for President. Maybe he is kidding but he reminds me a lot of Obama in the way he speaks and carries himself. He would probably run as a moderate in my no-nothing opinion.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Michael Corleone posted:

The only celebrity candidate that matters is Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson who has said a few times that he will run for President. Maybe he is kidding but he reminds me a lot of Obama in the way he speaks and carries himself. He would probably run as a moderate in my no-nothing opinion.
He's a registered and ideological Republican, though I'm guessing he's not a hardass on the social issues.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

ReindeerF posted:

He's a registered and ideological Republican, though I'm guessing he's not a hardass on the social issues.
Finally the Republicans will get a slice of that critical Polynesian vote that has been eluding them for so long

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

based gaddis posted:

As an NYS resident I don't really get how Cuomo is a contender, considering I never really hear praise for him stronger than "At least he isn't Palladino" -- Can somebody shed some light on this? Is it the name recognition factor?
His approval rating is in the upper 60's, probably because he's made Albany resemble something other than a dysfunctional gaggle of idiots. That comes at the price of him being a triangulating scumbag, however.

If Spitzer hadn't whored himself out (literally) then we wouldn't be in this mess.

Petey posted:

But seriously, Cory Booker for Mayor of Twitter:

Booker owns.

ReidRansom posted:

Last I saw of him he came off as just another incredibly boring white guy. The way the GOP has been running itself, I'm not sure that's gonna work. He needs a gimmick like all the others to distinguish himself.
He's not as crazy on the religious issues as Santorum is, but he is kind of a theocrat who wrote an anti-woman thesis or something like that at Regent University.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

If only Schwarzenegger didn't have the not native born issue

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I know I would like it if, following Petey's transition thread, there was a general "Obama term 2" thread for people to talk about everything going on in his term since not all of it is worth its own thread, but it does interest most of us. Is that something of interest to people?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Pillowpants posted:

I know I would like it if, following Petey's transition thread, there was a general "Obama term 2" thread for people to talk about everything going on in his term since not all of it is worth its own thread, but it does interest most of us. Is that something of interest to people?
Sure. It'd be nice with a thread with predictions on what Obama could manage to accomplish and have those to look back on to tick off, after his next term is over.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Pillowpants posted:

No, please don't create a general US politics thread.

Though I hate when people ask permission to create threads, so go ahead and create it if you like, just don't be shocked if it gets closed.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I imagine that if Clinton runs Biden won't. There's only room for one older statesman from the current Whitehouse, and Hillary's got the edge in fundraising, age (She'd be inaugurated at 69, tied with Reagan, while Biden would be 74), and perceived capability (the media treats her with the seriousness she deserves, while Biden is portrayed as a gibbering gaffe machine). If he does run, Hillary would win out anyway.

Not that I don't think Biden is awesome, and I hope he does run, but between him and Hillary I wouldn't take bets.

This is exactly how I feel. I love uncle Joe, but I think his age is an unfortunate liability and I don't think he has the presence that Clinton has. Hilary is the kind of candidate that even the right would have to respect for her experience in executive leadership

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Maximo Roboto posted:

If only Schwarzenegger didn't have the not native born issue

Or the secret illegitimate family provoking a messy divorce issue.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If Clinton runs in 2016, I wonder how weird the furious irrational republican response to the name Clinton will seem to young people in both parties who weren't old enough to watch the news in the 90s. Cigars, definition of "is", stained dresses, Vince Foster, etc.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

It seems fairly implausible right now, but I would love to have Clinton/Biden as the ticket. Clinton would be nigh unstoppable I think on the top, and Biden just makes a perfect VP. And didn't he recently say he was going to run in 2016 at a city councilman in his hometown or something?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Clinton/Castro would be my hope. Ideally I'd like to see Casto win the 2014 Texas gubernatorial race and then slide in at the top of the ticket in 2016 but I doubt my fever dreams will become reality. Would be nice though. :allears:

Though I'm not the biggest fan of Hillary, she'd probably be comparable to Obama as far as governance goes which is better than nothing. She is also hated almost as much as Obama is by my right wing relatives so that would at least provide entertainment.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Kloaked00 posted:

It seems fairly implausible right now, but I would love to have Clinton/Biden as the ticket. Clinton would be nigh unstoppable I think on the top, and Biden just makes a perfect VP. And didn't he recently say he was going to run in 2016 at a city councilman in his hometown or something?

As there even been a candidate who has consented to playing second fiddle twice in a row? It seem a little unlikely.

As someone earlier in the thread said, there are 70 people who wake up an see a future President and all of their names begin with Senator. It would be Biden's last chance so he's probably going to go at it full throttle if he decides to run again.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

withak posted:

If Clinton runs in 2016, I wonder how weird the furious irrational republican response to the name Clinton will seem to young people in both parties who weren't old enough to watch the news in the 90s. Cigars, definition of "is", stained dresses, Vince Foster, etc.

Probably about as irrationally furious as Democrats would be if a Bush ran in 2016.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Surprised I haven't heard any talk of Brian Sandoval in this thread. He's a good-looking, Hispanic (non-Cuban, even!) governor of a swing state, and has done some things which might have broad appeal, such as giving himself a pay cut.

Granted, I haven't heard any mention of him on a national stage, but I'd have to think he's a less awful candidate than Rubio, whom I tend to only hear about in the news when I hear about him being a douche.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Zikan posted:

As there even been a candidate who has consented to playing second fiddle twice in a row? It seem a little unlikely.

As someone earlier in the thread said, there are 70 people who wake up an see a future President and all of their names begin with Senator. It would be Biden's last chance so he's probably going to go at it full throttle if he decides to run again.

John C. Calhoun was JQ Adam's VP and Jackson's VP. He was also kind of a terrible person, but that's probably a coincidence.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Probably about as irrationally furious as Democrats would be if a Bush ran in 2016.

Bush at least has a "that dude that did Iraq/Afghanistan" vibe around the name. I honestly can't tell you anything about Clinton and I was born right around when he took office.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
PPP Poll of New Hampshire, November 3-4, 2012

Asked of Republicans
Jeb Bush: 11%
Chris Christie: 21%
Mike Huckabee: 8%
Sarah Palin: 4%
Rand Paul: 4%
Condoleezza Rice: 13%
Marco Rubio: 14%
Paul Ryan: 10%
Rick Santorum: 5%
Someone else/Not Sure: 10%

Asked of Democrats
Joe Biden: 10%
Hillary Clinton: 60%
Andrew Cuomo: 7%
Martin O'Malley: 0%
Deval Patrick: 3%
Brian Schweitzer: 0%
Mark Warner: 0%
Elizabeth Warren: 4%
Someone else/Not sure: 15%

Asked of Democrats, if Hillary isn't running
Joe Biden: 26%
Andrew Cuomo: 15%
Martin O'Malley: 3%
Deval Patrick: 9%
Brian Schweitzer: 1%
Mark Warner: 1%
Elizabeth Warren: 11%
Someone else/Not sure: 36%

Asked of Democrats, if neither Hillary nor Joe is running
Andrew Cuomo: 22%
Martin O'Malley: 1%
Deval Patrick: 18%
Elizabeth Warren: 15%
Someone else/Not sure: 42%

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Ugh those Cuomo numbers... Hillary needs to run.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
PPP Poll of Florida, November 3-4, 2012

Asked of Republicans
Jeb Bush: 28%
Chris Christie: 9%
Mike Huckabee: 11%
Sarah Palin: 5%
Rand Paul: 3%
Condoleezza Rice: 8%
Marco Rubio: 22%
Paul Ryan: 8%
Rick Santorum: 3%
Someone else/Not Sure: 5%

Asked of Democrats
Joe Biden: 14%
Hillary Clinton: 61%
Andrew Cuomo: 8%
Deval Patrick: 1%
Mark Warner: 2%
Elizabeth Warren: 1%
Someone else/Not sure: 9%

Joe Biden: 38%
Martin O'Malley: 6%
Mark Warner: 3%
Elizabeth Warren: 6%
Someone else/Not sure: 22%

Andrew Cuomo: 33%
Martin O'Malley: 4%
Deval Patrick: 7%
Mark Warner: 3%
Elizabeth Warren: 10%

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Wow those Rice numbers are surprisingly high. I hope she at least takes a serious look at running.

Alas, no Huntsman :smith: , unless he is a large chunk of that "other" group

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

ManifunkDestiny posted:

I would be ecstatic. Running a Bush this soon is essentially throwing the race.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Oh god. Those Cuomo numbers. :cry:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

sullat posted:

John C. Calhoun was JQ Adam's VP and Jackson's VP. He was also kind of a terrible person, but that's probably a coincidence.

George Clinton was VP for Thomas Jefferson and James Madison.

More telling is that no VP has been VP for three terms.

Kem Rixen
Aug 6, 2007

With this turnip I am become death, the destroyer of worlds!

B B posted:

Oh god. Those Cuomo numbers. :cry:

Yeah those Cuomo numbers are frightening, I'm shocked to see Warren poll so well in Florida, I can understand her New Hampshire numbers since its right over the border, which is why Patrick does so well there, but Florida...

I like Warren a lot but she is way too liberal for the national stage.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What is so frightening about Cuomo exactly, apart from him being bland and middle of the road?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Clinton seems like a plausible nominee but Jeb Bush has just got to be name recognition/Bill Kristol's perverted fantasy, right?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

greatn posted:

What is so frightening about Cuomo exactly, apart from him being bland and middle of the road?

Think of Obama, then add in not just less of a backbone, but actively stabbing left leaning dems in the back and jumping at the chance of working with republicans.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Kem Rixen posted:

Yeah those Cuomo numbers are frightening, I'm shocked to see Warren poll so well in Florida, I can understand her New Hampshire numbers since its right over the border, which is why Patrick does so well there, but Florida...

I like Warren a lot but she is way too liberal for the national stage.

That remains to be seen. I think she'll be almost Bernie Sanders-esque on economic policy, but most of her foreign policy votes will be boilerplate Democratic.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Alter Ego posted:

That remains to be seen. I think she'll be almost Bernie Sanders-esque on economic policy, but most of her foreign policy votes will be boilerplate Democratic.

It'll definitely be interesting to watch, but she was the only Senate candidate in a contested race this year to say that the correct policy on Afghanistan was to get out immediately. Foreign policy tends to be very difficult to judge from campaign literature though. Rand Paul, for instance, has turned out to be much less favorable to the military than I'd assumed from his campaign.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Joementum posted:

It'll definitely be interesting to watch, but she was the only Senate candidate in a contested race this year to say that the correct policy on Afghanistan was to get out immediately. Foreign policy tends to be very difficult to judge from campaign literature though. Rand Paul, for instance, has turned out to be much less favorable to the military than I'd assumed from his campaign.

On the other hand, her campaign site is still up.

quote:

To me, it is a moral imperative to support and defend Israel, and I am committed to ensuring its long-term security by maintaining its qualitative military edge. Israel must be able to defend itself from the serious threats it faces from terrorist organizations to hostile states, including Iran, Hamas, Hezbollah, and others.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
This is going to sound really superficial, but I can never get behind Cuomo because he looks like a douche. Seriously, take a look at a picture of him, and ask yourself: does this man look like a douche to you? The answer is yes, isn't it?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Joementum posted:

PPP Poll of New Hampshire, November 3-4, 2012

Asked of Republicans
Jeb Bush: 11%
Chris Christie: 21%
Mike Huckabee: 8%
Sarah Palin: 4%
Rand Paul: 4%
Condoleezza Rice: 13%
Marco Rubio: 14%
Paul Ryan: 10%
Rick Santorum: 5%
Someone else/Not Sure: 10%

Asked of Democrats
Joe Biden: 10%
Hillary Clinton: 60%
Andrew Cuomo: 7%
Martin O'Malley: 0%
Mark Warner: 0%
Elizabeth Warren: 4%
Someone else/Not sure: 15%

Joe Biden: 26%
Andrew Cuomo: 15%
Deval Patrick: 9%
Elizabeth Warren: 11%
Someone else/Not sure: 36%

Martin O'Malley: 1%
Deval Patrick: 18%
Elizabeth Warren: 15%

Man, what I'd do to see a Rubio/Rice ticket.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Can we get Bill Clinton as Veep? I want him in office somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Gatts posted:

Can we get Bill Clinton as Veep? I want him in office somehow.

First dude is enough. He needs to the cookie contest and all of the other stupid homemaker first lady traditions too. :3:

• Locked thread