Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Pesky Splinter posted:

Good god no :barf:

Dusk? Dawn? Morning? Lit by several off-camera nuclear explosions? You decide.

There are crazier Disney/Thomas Kincaid paintings (yes, that is totally how "Beauty and the Beast" went :psyduck: ), but all things considered, this one is my favorite:

Yup, that is Bambi looking across the river at himself as an adult as all of space and time implodes upon itself in the background. Plus a patriotic Bald Eagle.

But does anyone else remember this style of Disney poster? I'd love to see someone have the balls to forgo the seemingly default "Character in Blank White Void with Funny Quote" animated feature ad campaign and do something a little classier like these:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

I love those posters so much, especially the Little Mermaid one. However I always read the Beauty and the Beast tagline so... clunkily because of how far apart the words are vertically. And it's too bad because it's a really effective tagline :allears:

the

most

beautiful

love

story

ever

told

:geno:

My aunt had that B&TB poster in her room as it's her favourite film, and I love the deep reds.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I bought this one for my wife many years ago when they released Beauty and the Beast in Imax, we've got it in our living room now, and I always really liked it:

(sorry for crappy quality, best I could find online)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Robert Denby posted:

This is actually kind of a shock to me. Elfman and Raimi had a pretty ugly falling out during "Spider-Man 3".

They patched things up. They released a press release a few months ago that basically read as "Together again, and it feels so good."

I think Raimi gets good work out of Elfman more than most directors, so I am interested to hear it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

kiimo posted:

edited post

Were you running your mouth off again? :allears:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

They patched things up. They released a press release a few months ago that basically read as "Together again, and it feels so good."

I think Raimi gets good work out of Elfman more than most directors, so I am interested to hear it.
I'm inclined to agree and while I generally don't care for Raimi's movies, he does get some good stuff out of Elfman. At the very least Raimi's Spider-Man movies had pretty great scores, unlike The Amazing Spider-Man and James Horner's Recycled :effort: Tunes (R).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Stare-Out posted:

I'm inclined to agree and while I generally don't care for Raimi's movies, he does get some good stuff out of Elfman. At the very least Raimi's Spider-Man movies had pretty great scores, unlike The Amazing Spider-Man and James Horner's Recycled :effort: Tunes (R).

I had no idea that James Horner did The Amazing Spider-Man score - I just watched it yesterday and specifically thought to myself that somebody was ripping off the Wrath of Khan score.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

Captain Hygiene posted:

I had no idea that James Horner did The Amazing Spider-Man score - I just watched it yesterday and specifically thought to myself that somebody was ripping off the Wrath of Khan score.

I was stunned when I learned Horner did the score for ASM, since I thought he was dead, but also because he did the scores for Wrath of Khan and the Rocketeer and a lot of other stuff that ends up in trailers a lot, but ASM's score felt really flat and emotionless by comparison.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Horner's method is to remake either the Braveheart score, the Aliens score or the Apocalypto/Avatar score over and over again. He's so boring and one of the larger reasons why ASM fell completely flat for me.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I will still never understand how the BTTF3 and Predator 2 score can sound the same. But they really do (Silvestri, not Horner, but similar point)

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Stare-Out posted:

He's so boring and one of the larger reasons why ASM fell completely flat for me.

Also it was a legitimately bad movie.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

echoplex posted:

I will still never understand how the BTTF3 and Predator 2 score can sound the same. But they really do (Silvestri, not Horner, but similar point)
Silvestri definitely has his own style but he has different approaches to that style which make his scores mostly distinct. But Horner's are just bland with hints of his previous works thrown in.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Also it was a legitimately bad movie.
This too. The Amazing Crying Peter Parker.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Stare-Out posted:

Horner's method is to remake either the Braveheart score, the Aliens score or the Apocalypto/Avatar score over and over again.
I think the most glaring reuse for me was that the chorus in "Glory" and the chorus in "Avatar" are completely identical. Even back in the 80s Horner would reuse cues. There's a few bits of "Wrath of Khan" in the "Aliens" score. He did do one pretty good score not many people bring up; "Brainstorm".

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

echoplex posted:

I've always wondered how the score for The Thing sounds very much like the score for The Andromeda Strain, despite Ennio Morricone not working on the latter.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Stare-Out posted:

This too. The Amazing Crying Peter Parker.

He's talking about Amazing Spider-man, not Spider-man 3.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Being a whiny little bitch outside of his costume is kind of Spider-man's thing regardless of medium. Peter Parker just kinda sucks.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Young Freud posted:

I've always wondered how the score for The Thing sounds very much like the score for The Andromeda Strain, despite Ennio Morricone not working on the latter.

Also the funny thing about The Thing's score is, despite it not being a John Carpenter composed score, it's the most John Carpenter sounding score that Morricone ever did.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

E: NM

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Baron von Eevl posted:

Also the funny thing about The Thing's score is, despite it not being a John Carpenter composed score, it's the most John Carpenter sounding score that Morricone ever did.

Yeah, Morricone modelled his score for The Thing on Carpenter's own scores for previous movies so that it would have a consistent feel. There's a hell of a lot of Assault on Precinct 13 in it, if you listen.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The MSJ posted:

He's talking about Amazing Spider-man, not Spider-man 3.
I'm pretty sure Parker cried more in ASM than all Raimi Spidey movies combined.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Jedit posted:

Yeah, Morricone modelled his score for The Thing on Carpenter's own scores for previous movies so that it would have a consistent feel. There's a hell of a lot of Assault on Precinct 13 in it, if you listen.

Yeah, if you're familiar with Carpenter's work at all it almost sounds like a parody Carpenter score.

bom bom bom bom.... bom.

Repeat for entire movie.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Is there any reason why he didn't score it himself?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Carpenter did apparently score some things for it. A CD re-recording of which can be found somewhere.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

Carpenter did apparently score some things for it. A CD re-recording of which can be found somewhere.

It's available on Amazon as an MP3 download. Thanks for letting me know, I loves me some Carpenter.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I wish Morricone had included The Thing in his set list. Oh well, he did do The Ecstasy of Gold a second time in the encore though. So good.

Speaking of which, anyone have any nice Sergio Leone posters on file?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

I'm pretty sure Parker cried more in ASM than all Raimi Spidey movies combined.

Raimi managed to have Uncle Ben die in 2 out of 3 movies, so I don't know.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

In any case, Maguire's cry-face beat Garfield's cry-face by a mile. It was amazing, so at least there was something captivating onscreen when Parker bawls in the Raimi ones.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Lizard Combatant posted:

The Good.

The Bad.

The Ugly Weird.

I love the Dollars Trilogy :allears:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

This is great.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lizard Combatant posted:

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
I like:

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Here's a poster that I think is really awesome:

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

I like this one

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

3D!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

And I suddenly wish it wasn't.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm sorry what is that movie? I've never heard of that before and I'm equal parts afraid and curious.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm sorry what is that movie? I've never heard of that before and I'm equal parts afraid and curious.
It's some stupid Danish movie that's trying to be "metal and cool and funny."
Here's a trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6J84uIn3JI

And apparently I just found the whole thing on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPADjeW5yuA

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm kinda weirded out by all those conspicuously tight and bulging codpieces.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

That movie looks pretty cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Robert Denby posted:

I think the most glaring reuse for me was that the chorus in "Glory" and the chorus in "Avatar" are completely identical. Even back in the 80s Horner would reuse cues. There's a few bits of "Wrath of Khan" in the "Aliens" score. He did do one pretty good score not many people bring up; "Brainstorm".

I was surprised that he did Brainstorm, but it was from back before he began repeating himself. "Michael's Gift to Karen" is probably his best piece and it made that segment one of my favorite movie scenes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqXXmoeKmn0

I think he also did 48 Hours but I might be mixing him up with someone else. He's capable of some good work but I don't expect it anymore.

One composer that surprised me was Ilan Eshkeri with the score for Stardust. Shooting Star is my favorite track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxGPnUug1kI