Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

clutchpuck posted:

On a bike with more than a pair of carbs to sync, I agree for the most part. But it's usually trivial enough on a twin to make it pretty worthwhile. It literally takes us 5 minutes to do the wife's R1150R.
Also depends on how the carbs/bodies are connected to each other. A BMW with them 2 feet apart on either side of the bike and connected only by cables will need some syncing now and then. An I4 rack of carbs closely locked together will hardly ever go out of sync unless you mess with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

AncientTV posted:

Rotella T6 is fine, fellow Floridian here and it's been in my bikes for years. Use away.
At risk of :can: - I have a question to ask about Rotella T6 because I know a lot of people use it in their bikes due to it being JASO rated and I figured this would be a good enough place to ask.

When researching some oil for work (completely unrelated), I noticed something about JASO specs

http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/e-ok.htm

JASO 4 stroke motorcycle spec appears to be a JASO-Txxx (something.. 904, 903)

However, from what I can see the Rotella oil is a DH-2 spec, which according to that JASO page is clearly not a motorcycle grade but indeed a diesel spec.

Does anyone know if it is actually rated for a bike spec?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It is not rated for bikes, but about 50 million bikers running it cant be wrong!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The rotella t6 I see at Walmart has a JASO-MA label, which is what my vstar asked for.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Also depends on how the carbs/bodies are connected to each other. A BMW with them 2 feet apart on either side of the bike and connected only by cables will need some syncing now and then. An I4 rack of carbs closely locked together will hardly ever go out of sync unless you mess with it.

My vstar, which had it's Tbs arranged in a unit, needed a sync every oil change per the manual. For that bike, keeping on top of it was important. But it was a vtwin with lumpy primary balance so that stands to reason, a smoother four seems like it would naturally stay set longer.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 9, 2012

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Time for my stupid question of the week; This last fuel fill up I seem to have got about twenty miles less out of a full tank. Is this expected when the temperature drops (it's been freaking cold this last week or so) or could it be symptomatic of a problem?

The bike seems to be running fine and it's not leaking anything out. It is due a service next month.

Sorry if this is dumb, I'm just paranoid about breaking it!

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

You might have been a bit harder on the throttle than usual? I don't think 20 miles is enough to really worry about is it?

Sometimes I'll stretch my tank out to 370~km, sometimes I'll only get about 330km~ before I hit reserve.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

Time for my stupid question of the week; This last fuel fill up I seem to have got about twenty miles less out of a full tank. Is this expected when the temperature drops (it's been freaking cold this last week or so) or could it be symptomatic of a problem?

The bike seems to be running fine and it's not leaking anything out. It is due a service next month.

Sorry if this is dumb, I'm just paranoid about breaking it!

Also, remember that gasoline companies sell different summer and winter blends, so it's entirely possible that the gas going into your bike changed.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Cheers guys. I'm probably just worrying over nothing. I had no idea about the different fuel blends for summer and winter though!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Is um
is zipcar doing this?

I feel like somebody got their hands on a zipcar sticker and has rented that particular zipcar and is playing a prank with their motorcycle. There is no way zipcar is renting motorcycles, especially not with a sweet strapped-on cooler trunk.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

alnilam posted:

Is um
is zipcar doing this?

I feel like somebody got their hands on a zipcar sticker and has rented that particular zipcar and is playing a prank with parking their motorcycle in a spot that Zipcar obnoxiously occupies.

Fixed. Also, Zipcars usually have automatic locks and ignitions. That bike's lock seems intact.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

I think you're worried about nothing. Your homebrew sync tool is probably not accurate enough for your valves to limit it and I'd wager you can get it pretty close regardless.

When I do it, I use a twinmax with a needle that bounces back and forth and I pretty much just eyeball it so it's bouncing as evenly to either side as possible. This is not super accurate but I get honest-to-god better results than a typical $90/hr shop tuneup sync.

If you pay $90/hr for a tune-up and synch, get a Morgan Carbtune for $100 and synch your own carbs whenever you wish.

http://www.carbtune.com/

It takes about 20+ minutes to do, 10 minutes hooking up the tubes, no more than about 5 minutes of adjusting, and 10 minutes pulling the tubes and putting things back together (port screws, carb tops, etc.)

You're welcome.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I want to Replace my handlebar and grips, with probably something lower for a more aggressiveness posture. So any tips on this? I don't mind going with clubman bars and bar end mirrors.

Picture of current handlebar set-up, they are much taller than they appear

I also wish to re-paint my motorcycle, but I think I will pass on that for now...

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Buy lower bars if you want lower bars. You will probably need new grips as well.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

ElMaligno posted:

I want to Replace my handlebar and grips, with probably something lower for a more aggressiveness posture. So any tips on this? I don't mind going with clubman bars and bar end mirrors.

I also wish to re-paint my motorcycle, but I think I will pass on that for now...
Is that a Suzuki gs? If so I put clubmans and drag bars on my '82 gs650e and liked both. The clubmans definitely made for a more aggressive position and I got a lot of comments from friends about how much better the bike looked. That being said they also caused or maybe exposed a serious headshake and I put the stock bars back. I did go on some longer rides with the clubmans on and they weren't too bad comfort wise.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

Swapping bars is pretty simple, but mind how the new bars affect your cables (clutch, throttle, etc.).

I put clubmans on my GS, and they work great. The bike is not a long haul rider, so comfort is not as big a deal to me. I would not want to do really long rides on my bike though.

If you drop the bars on a GS, you will soon be longing for some rearsets to make your body position less of a jack-knife.

Here are some pics of mine with clubmans and rearsets.

This pic is a few months old, before I hid the electrics and changed bar-ends.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Speaking of small winter projects, is there any interest on a thread about small/big winter projects from multiple goons?

It would basicly be a winter mourning thread :v:

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

ElMaligno posted:

Speaking of small winter projects, is there any interest on a thread about small/big winter projects from multiple goons?

I've got a '74 cb450 I've started to tear down for a more or less complete rebuild. I would be interested in a thread like this to ask questions and gather opinions. I'm sure there's a few goons who have a project that would contribute and not have a whole thread for a bike that may or may not move very fast or may or may not be done before spring.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

ElMaligno posted:

Not saying no but that's basically what the "What did you do to your bike today" thread turns into

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Can a CA goon tell me about the rules for driving your new bike home? I'm going to look at a bike on Sunday that I'll probably end up buying. It's from a private owner, so I won't be able to get the registration done there. Am I ok driving it home with the title in my pocket, no insurance card, no registration in my name? I figure on the off chance I get pulled over by a cop (hasn't happened in 10 years of driving, but who knows) he'd probably understand, but I'd love to know if there were regs about that.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Pham Nuwen posted:

Can a CA goon tell me about the rules for driving your new bike home? I'm going to look at a bike on Sunday that I'll probably end up buying. It's from a private owner, so I won't be able to get the registration done there. Am I ok driving it home with the title in my pocket, no insurance card, no registration in my name? I figure on the off chance I get pulled over by a cop (hasn't happened in 10 years of driving, but who knows) he'd probably understand, but I'd love to know if there were regs about that.

You'll at the very least want insurance. Last time I was looking at a new bike, I called my insurance company, told them I was going to buy a new bike, and they started on the initial paperwork. I just had to call back later with the VIN.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

The Senator Giroux posted:

You'll at the very least want insurance. Last time I was looking at a new bike, I called my insurance company, told them I was going to buy a new bike, and they started on the initial paperwork. I just had to call back later with the VIN.

Every time I've bought a bike I've called and bought insurance before riding it home. I use markel and they are super great to deal with over the phone. Because they only deal with bikes it's never been more than a 5 minute call. They'll start your coverage immediately and mail you all the info and your invoice unless you want to pay with a credit card over the phone.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?
I need to seal up a leaky flange on the petcock of my CB1000. I used some generic gasket sealant and it works alright, but inevitably fails. Does anybody have a recommendation for some kind of gasoline resistant sealant?

Or should I just get a new petcock? A generic one with adapter will work but my bike has a cable operated remote switch for the gasoline flow and a oem petcock will cost dang near $120.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

You could just get one from a bike wrecker?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Call your insurance company. I get a 10 or 30 day grace period for registering new bikes with state farm. So I just buy the bike and ride it home. I got pulled over on the ride home with the Triumph, no plate, no insurance card, just showed the cop the title and explained the story and he sent me on my way with no fuss.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I just did a quote online to add the bike to my policy, and if I'm reading this right, adding an 81 CM400C would actually *reduce* my yearly premium by $54. Awesome, I'm taking this as a sign that I really need to buy the bike.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
When I added my bike to my auto policy, my overall premiums also decreased slightly because of the ridiculously cheap insurance out here + multiple policy discount. Yay Progressive.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

I need to seal up a leaky flange on the petcock of my CB1000. I used some generic gasket sealant and it works alright, but inevitably fails. Does anybody have a recommendation for some kind of gasoline resistant sealant?

Or should I just get a new petcock? A generic one with adapter will work but my bike has a cable operated remote switch for the gasoline flow and a oem petcock will cost dang near $120.

Used what they had at the hardware store and it appears to be working fine.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I swapped out my chain and sprockets today on my '85 Honda Rebel 250 (I think both were stock so it was definitely necessary). While my friend and I were adjusting the chain, both chain adjuster bolts snapped (both sides of the wheel). I haven't been able to find any information online about what kind I'd need to use to replace it. Does anyone know what kind I'd need to get to replace them. Here's a picture of the assembly, it's what the small nut screws onto in the yellow circle on the left, not the bigger one. Motorcycle superstore has ones for cr250s, and ebay has completed listings for ones for '86 Rebels, but not my year. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Were you trying to adjust the bolts without loosening the axle or something? How the hell did you snap both of those?

You should look on bikebandit or ron ayers on the microfiches and see what years share parts with your bike. The 86 rebel 250 should be exactly the same parts.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Z3n posted:

Were you trying to adjust the bolts without loosening the axle or something? How the hell did you snap both of those?

You should look on bikebandit or ron ayers on the microfiches and see what years share parts with your bike. The 86 rebel 250 should be exactly the same parts.

They actually both snapped while we were trying to attach the lock nuts, not sure if the axle should have been loosened for that. Both were pretty badly stripped just from age and previous owners' overzealousness. I wound up ordering replacements from the dealership.

Edit: just talked to my friend who was helping me. Asked him if we should have had the axle loosened when we were putting on the lock nuts and his response was "oh drat, my bad."

LooksLikeABabyRat fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 11, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Edit: just talked to my friend who was helping me. Asked him if we should have had the axle loosened when we were putting on the lock nuts and his response was "oh drat, my bad."

:crossarms:

You may want to re-evaluate whether this friend should be helping you in the future. And double-check your axle torque before you get on the bike again.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Hello guys, I need some more help. I replaced the O ring this morning that was causing my coolant to leak from where the water pipe and water pump meet. When I took the pipe and pump apart, I had a fair amount of coolant come out, but no more than a quart. I put everything back together and added coolant through the reserve tank. After replacing this, I'm not leaking any more coolant. Awesome! I took it for a ride tonight to meet friends for dinner, and about 5 miles into it, the high temperature light came on. When the light came on, I pulled over to check, and I was still full in the reserve tank. It was going on and off for the remainder of the 15 miles to meet up. I had extra coolant with me and after the bike sat for an hour, I was able to put some more in, maybe half a quart at most. I rode home and the temperature light was off for the first two or three miles and then came back on. Same deal, I pulled over, checked my reserve tank, saw that it was full, and rode the rest of the way home with the light on.

My question: what the gently caress is going on to cause this? I obviously have coolant in my system, and I didn't do any work today anywhere near the thermostat to jostle something loose there, so I'm not sure what else to check on this thing. The reserve tank is full, and I would think if the radiator is running low, it would pull coolant from the reserve tank when it's needed. I can't easily get to the radiator to check it because the geniuses at Honda require me to take the gas tank off and one of the side panels off, but again, I would think it would pull coolant from the reserve tank if it was low. My service manual is getting me nowhere fast with this. Always something.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Air bubble?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

:crossarms:

You may want to re-evaluate whether this friend should be helping you in the future. And double-check your axle torque before you get on the bike again.

He was actually pretty apologetic and said he couldn't believe he had made such a rookie mistake. In his defense we had been working for awhile and we were in a rush because we were late for an event.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Geirskogul posted:

Air bubble?

I thought that was possible, but for almost 40 miles of riding?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

americanzero4128 posted:

Hello guys, I need some more help. I replaced the O ring this morning that was causing my coolant to leak from where the water pipe and water pump meet. When I took the pipe and pump apart, I had a fair amount of coolant come out, but no more than a quart. I put everything back together and added coolant through the reserve tank. After replacing this, I'm not leaking any more coolant. Awesome! I took it for a ride tonight to meet friends for dinner, and about 5 miles into it, the high temperature light came on. When the light came on, I pulled over to check, and I was still full in the reserve tank. It was going on and off for the remainder of the 15 miles to meet up. I had extra coolant with me and after the bike sat for an hour, I was able to put some more in, maybe half a quart at most. I rode home and the temperature light was off for the first two or three miles and then came back on. Same deal, I pulled over, checked my reserve tank, saw that it was full, and rode the rest of the way home with the light on.

My question: what the gently caress is going on to cause this? I obviously have coolant in my system, and I didn't do any work today anywhere near the thermostat to jostle something loose there, so I'm not sure what else to check on this thing. The reserve tank is full, and I would think if the radiator is running low, it would pull coolant from the reserve tank when it's needed. I can't easily get to the radiator to check it because the geniuses at Honda require me to take the gas tank off and one of the side panels off, but again, I would think it would pull coolant from the reserve tank if it was low. My service manual is getting me nowhere fast with this. Always something.

You need to fill from the radiator. With air in there, it's never going pull the fresh fluid through from the reserve tank. You're essentially running minus that quart + of coolant.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

Z3n posted:

You need to fill from the radiator. With air in there, it's never going pull the fresh fluid through from the reserve tank. You're essentially running minus that quart + of coolant.

Pretty much, yeah. The system needs to be bled of air. You mentioned you have a manual, should be mentioned in the general operating stuff about filling fluids.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Okay, so getting my fork seals replaced on Tuesday... I have new Vesrah pads + RBF600 to go in the front but as far as the rotors one of them got a ton of fork oil on it - will brake cleaner take everything off or do I need to lightly sand the rotor as well? I don't want to risk contaminating new pads.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Nov 11, 2012

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I swapped out my chain and sprockets today on my '85 Honda Rebel 250 (I think both were stock so it was definitely necessary). While my friend and I were adjusting the chain, both chain adjuster bolts snapped (both sides of the wheel). I haven't been able to find any information online about what kind I'd need to use to replace it. Does anyone know what kind I'd need to get to replace them. Here's a picture of the assembly, it's what the small nut screws onto in the yellow circle on the left, not the bigger one. Motorcycle superstore has ones for cr250s, and ebay has completed listings for ones for '86 Rebels, but not my year. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

The chain adjusters are an assembly that go into the swingarm, with the axle going through them. There's not really a way to replace just the bolts, so you'll have to replace the assembly. You just take the axle out, slide them out, and put in the new ones. You can find them on eBay for pretty cheap usually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Okay, so getting my fork seals replaced on Tuesday... I have new Vesrah pads + RBF600 to go in the front but as far as the rotors one of them got a ton of fork oil on it - will brake cleaner take everything off or do I need to lightly sand the rotor as well? I don't want to risk contaminating new pads.

Brake cleaner and a good scrub should do it.