Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.

Topoisomerase posted:

Rixatrix posted:

When ausculting I usually just tell people that they need to be quiet for a moment so I can hear. It nearly always works.
In what context are you listening to people's animals?

I'm curious about this too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

The Big Whoop posted:

How can you post this without pics?
I know, I know, mice are hard to photograph. Still no excuse! I want to get back into breeding, gotta see what my roomies say.
Gonna BYB some mice so hard you guys. So hard.

Ugggh so hard to photograph. I actually took a bunch yesterday though while I was cleaning them out and sorting/culling litters

This pic is actually from like a week ago though, this is the blue satin, fawn satin, undermarked brindle satin, and brindle litter I mentioned. All males except for the plain brindle, of course. Brother/sister pairing- had no idea they carried satin.

Brindle litter and tan litter, raised together because the moms had them on the same day and I knew I'd be able to tell who belonged to who. Brindle male bred to PEW female, and black tan male bred to PEW female- brindle and tan are both dominant, so I knew I'd get some even breeding them to PEWs. This was what was left after I culled all the PEWs.

These are the brindles- I got 4 good ones, and 4 terrible ones. Notice how the bad ones are so bad they look like agoutis. They're brindle, just the worst brindles ever.

Culled these:

Kept these:

(the top left one is gonna end up so sooty I probably won't keep it, but I left it for now)

Here's one of the tans. My tan is so bad they look fox. Alas, they are just really bad tans. Didn't cull any of them yesterday because I have no idea which ones I'm going to keep yet.

Ended up with these left:

This is another brindle/tan litter- tan male bred to brindle female. She had really great coloration when she was younger, before she got all sooty, so I was hoping she'd improve on the tan a little but they still look like poo poo. Dunno if I'll keep any of these except for that one brindle baby she had who happens to actually be female.

Another brother/sister pairing (extreme ce dilute brindle female to her really ugly fawn brindle brother- my starter mice were hideous.)

These are actually all 3 female, and all satin. One is an undermarked fawn brindle, one is a PEW (but I am tentatively keeping her for now since she is satin and I think satin PEWs are pretty :3:) and the third one...I have no idea what she is yet. Some kind of very extreme ce dilute. She doesn't appear to have any brindling. She's cool.

Annnd this is the all male litter I'm super duper excited about. Another brother/sister deal, a sooty and ugly dilute blue brindle female to her pretty fawn broken marked brindle brother.

I like dis one a whole bunch:

(broken marked dilute fawn brindle) and he was about what I expected to get out of that litter.

This one is super exciting:

He's even marked (and satin) and his marking are actually pretty freaking even. He's going to be fun.

And then these two chocolates out of nowhere- was NOT expecting them:

Probably going to keep the one on the right, he's a lot typey-er than the other one and the left one has some white on his toes and tail so he's not a good self and has some markings stuff going on.

(back with mom)

So yeah. Mice. Mice are fun. Too many males. :argh:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Deadly Chlorine posted:

poo poo I hope it isn't because of that, I've heard of people having the same kind of progression as well. Hope it's just an isolated incident. :ohdear:

Also sup dudes, smug bird landing in this strangely birdless thread

:smug:

The vet said that progressively worse allergies are more common than people think- I worry because a) keeping the dog on steroid forever would suck and b) I don't want to have to feed a hydrolyzed protein diet to Bailey. He loves his food so much and enjoys working for it that I honestly think it would really impact his quality of life.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
On the topic of colour variants and markings and such, I'm going to see an old academic supervisor next week to talk, among other things, about a potential research project into pigment, white spotting and animal domestication :3:. It's something which I've become Incredibly Nerdy about lately, so I'm super excited to talk through my ideas if nothing else.

(I'm also floating like three other research projects though, lawl. We'll see.)

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

It's too bad mice aren't like reptiles, where manipulating the incubation temperature can influence their sex. Then you could have all girl meeces.

huskyjackal
Mar 17, 2009

*peek*

notsoape posted:

On the topic of colour variants and markings and such, I'm going to see an old academic supervisor next week to talk, among other things, about a potential research project into pigment, white spotting and animal domestication :3:. It's something which I've become Incredibly Nerdy about lately, so I'm super excited to talk through my ideas if nothing else.

Will you be looking into that domesticated fox breeding project they have over in...crap, Russia? I always thought it was absolutely fascinating to see how markings, curly tails, and floppy ears arose in those animals!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Super, are you sure those two last ones are choc? They look more mock chocolate to me.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Fraction posted:

Super, are you sure those two last ones are choc? They look more mock chocolate to me.

Not at all, they could very well be. I only know the basics of mouse genetics and I haven't even looked them up yet, I was just like "hurr brown mouse chocolate"

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Citizen Rat posted:

Nope, my breed taught me how to groom her and even if I did cough up the 500 for the mega hair drier necessary I would still have to re-do all of the 80 year old piping in my house to be able to handle her fur. Which, well, that goes into the several grand territory which I don't have on hand.

Though when I said 'go to the groomer' I meant down to her breeder as I don't trust 90% of groomers not to try to do something stupid because a lot of them have never handled a double coated dog.
That's fine. I hope you didn't think I was saying it isn't because that's not what I was trying to say. The people I know who own Mals don't really do much grooming and definitely don't take them to professionals to be done, so good on you for being thorough. My friends keep their Mals mostly for sports/work though so it's probably different anyway.

quote:

Asstro Van posted:

In what context are you listening to people's animals?
I'm curious about this too.
Answered on the previous page, but I don't listen to animals. The storytime thing still comes up just the same without animals involved, so I could relate to your vetchat.

notsoape that is very cool and hearing about projects like that make me want to do research too. I hope it works out for you! Is funding going to be an issue?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I've been working on getting Max to Deal With It when Pistol wants to be on my bed too and we've made some headway:

Good dogs :)

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Went to a get-together at a friend's bf's place last night and a guy brought his corgis. They'd been +R trained very well and he showed off a few of their tricks. Was nice to see some well-cared for, well-behaved dogs :3:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

notsoape posted:

Nice. Hope that goes well for you! Vet school has temporarily (hopefully) killed my interest in actual science and I'm hoping that it comes back when I'm done with this bullshit.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

In trying to teach Psyche to walk backwards, I have discovered that she has a major rear alignment issue. Is there a dog mechanic in the house?

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Kiri koli posted:

In trying to teach Psyche to walk backwards, I have discovered that she has a major rear alignment issue. Is there a dog mechanic in the house?

Feldman can walk backwards okay. However, when moving forwards he tends to..sidle. I've never seen a dog that can move to the side while walking FORWARDS. It's :psyduck: to me. He's pointed forwards, his legs are moving such, and yet he's somehow also moving to the side at the same time.

huskyjackal
Mar 17, 2009

*peek*

Bash Ironfist posted:

Feldman can walk backwards okay. However, when moving forwards he tends to..sidle. I've never seen a dog that can move to the side while walking FORWARDS. It's :psyduck: to me. He's pointed forwards, his legs are moving such, and yet he's somehow also moving to the side at the same time.
Sounds like your dog is part sidewinder, I would handle him with extreme caution!

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Friend sent me the greatest cat gif I have ever seen.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Bash Ironfist posted:

Skylar walked like that a lot without meaning to. Eventually we figured out that she would track towards whatever she was looking at at the time without meaning to. She'd get distracted on a walk and just sort of...drift into the middle of the road.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

wtftastic posted:

The vet said that progressively worse allergies are more common than people think- I worry because a) keeping the dog on steroid forever would suck and b) I don't want to have to feed a hydrolyzed protein diet to Bailey. He loves his food so much and enjoys working for it that I honestly think it would really impact his quality of life.

Long-term steroids is indeed not ideal. Don't lose hope though--there are definitely other options you can pursue. Antihistamines really help some dogs, you just may have to try different ones to see if one is better than another. Sometimes the antihistamines don't solve the problem themselves, but they can at least lower the dose of steroids needed. Allergy shots can be an option if it's environmental allergies. If it ends up being food, some dogs do need the hydrolyzed diets but a lot of dogs can do just fine on limited ingredient/novel protein diets too.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

wtftastic posted:

I know exactly what you mean, I'm going through the same thing with Terra right now. It sucks balls :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

It's like 50 out today with a good stiff 10mph wind. It was 82 on Wednesday. Needless to say, everybody was super cold this morning when it was only about 43 out with 20 mph winds. And then they all came in and dogpiled ( :haw: ) on the couch with me and sulked.

So I went to Petsmart and rectified this situation:

I've had the danes' forever. The only coats I've ever seen that were on a rack that actually fit the danes. I dunno if I'm gonna post the video of them running around or not yet. But still. :3: Dog coats.

E: Yeah, video: http://youtu.be/4NeWyxzZ2M4 Ires is dumb. Balen's stiff at the beginning, but the video was all recorded in the same 10 minutes or so.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 11, 2012

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I've been housesitting at my mom's house for a few days, and her wife is a serious animal person, so I'm responsible for a huge and derpy flat coat retriever, two indoor cats, some sort of giant bodybuilder outdoor cat (he weighs about twenty pounds and every ounce of it is pure muscle, I swear), and my two rats because I'm that much of a crazy rat lady that I brought them with me.

The indoor cats are competent and enthusiastic mousers but are leery of the rats, the rats just want to be friends and groom the fluffy one to death (and fluffycat will put up with it for about ten minutes tops before she flees), the dog honestly probably thinks the rats are some sort of weird squirrel that don't run away and wants to sniff and lick them but is afraid of getting too close to the toothy end of them, and the rats are cautiously curious about the dog but don't much like the way she gets all worked up and in their faces. Of note is the one rat, the runty one, making weird huffing noises at the dog and apparently bossing her around.

The cartoon laws of animal relationships are all wrong.

And my mother remains convinced that when I bring my rats here they'll escape, never come back, destroy everything, and be eaten by the cats. Not quite.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

E: Yeah, video: http://youtu.be/4NeWyxzZ2M4 Ires is dumb. Balen's stiff at the beginning, but the video was all recorded in the same 10 minutes or so.

I love that they match. :3: At about 1:00 in, Ires, I think, runs underneath Balen. So :3:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Those dog coats are quite possibly the best use of :3: I've ever seen.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

AcetylCoA! posted:

I love that they match. :3: At about 1:00 in, Ires, I think, runs underneath Balen. So :3:

Yeah, it's Ires. It's a lot more worrisome when Amy does that. :ohdear:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Superconsndar posted:

Not at all, they could very well be. I only know the basics of mouse genetics and I haven't even looked them up yet, I was just like "hurr brown mouse chocolate"

Well mock chocolate is a/a cch/ce. You'd have to have chinchilla in the line somewhere to get mock chocolate, though? I guess?

I dunno maybe they're just weird looking chocolate :shobon:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Dog coats are awesome, I need to get Feldman a new one. He's grown since we got him, up to 17lbs at 1 year old! :3:

Also Great Danes are amazing. Although I'd be afraid to go out there. If one of them accidentally ran into you, you'd probably be squashed flat.

edit: Fluffy buy a saddle and let Feldman ride your danes around. :colbert:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

It is totally a liability issue when the client holds their animal at the veterinary clinic. If the client is bitten while holding the animal in the clinic (vets are even worried about people who just walked in the door), the doctor is liable. Vets, as professionals, are supposed to "know better" and protect the "unknowing public" against things.

There even was a lawsuit in Florida where someone got bit while giving their dog meds by mouth at home several days after vet visit and said the vet was liable for it. The plaintiff lost, but it took 3 years (apparently) to get to that point. Gotta factor in legal fees, time lost, and stress.

Some vets will take the risk of liability because they decide the risk is outweighed by the assistance from the client - either in terms of saving tech time or because of the good vibes having the client hold brings. Other vets are trying to avoid litigation (especially in these times, as even an unsuccessful legal case could lead to financial ruin for a clinic) either because they're scared of litigation or they have already been sued for something like this before.

Edit: Forgot to clarify, this is USA. Each state varies on how far a case would go.

HelloSailorSign fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 12, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I still think it's total bullshit that you can sue a vet over that.

Bash Ironfist posted:

Dog coats are awesome, I need to get Feldman a new one. He's grown since we got him, up to 17lbs at 1 year old! :3:

Also Great Danes are amazing. Although I'd be afraid to go out there. If one of them accidentally ran into you, you'd probably be squashed flat.

edit: Fluffy buy a saddle and let Feldman ride your danes around. :colbert:

Eh, it doesn't hurt that bad. I've been run over by Amy several times and only knocked down a few times. It hurt a lot worse when Balen leapt into my forehead years ago.

And they already have saddles. :colbert:

E: Petsmart's having a 30% off sale on jackets and stuff through tomorrow, so you might wanna check it out. Black Friday may or may not beat the prices because the damned ad hasn't been released yet.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 12, 2012

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

HelloSailorSign posted:

It is totally a liability issue when the client holds their animal at the veterinary clinic. If the client is bitten while holding the animal in the clinic (vets are even worried about people who just walked in the door), the doctor is liable. Vets, as professionals, are supposed to "know better" and protect the "unknowing public" against things.

Is that same for the UK, too? I've never not been invited to hold my animals (dogs and rats) at vets.

I guess it makes more sense for that to be a Big Thing in America, though. Place is way too sue-happy.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

HelloSailorSign posted:

It's completely stupid that an owner can sue for something like that (as they volunteered, basically) and I'm glad my vet trusts me to hold Psyche anyway. I wouldn't even consider suing if I was bitten during an exam. And I would much, MUCH rather I was the one bitten than the vet or a vet tech.

I would, however, be completely pissed if the vet demanded we do something that resulted in Psyche being (even more) traumatized for no good reason (like the aforementioned grabbing from behind or bringing her in back and then punishing her for freaking out). I'm sure I can't sue for that because she's just a dog and rehabilitating her is just my hobby.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Why can't vets just have a release of liability form for people to fill out if they want to restrain their own pets? People who know their pets do better with them would have no problem filling it out, and it would make some people who didn't know what they were doing think twice if it was full of scary-sounding legal jargon and vet terms. Every barn I've ever been to requires signing a release form before you so much as look at a horse, and the way they're written make horses sound like they are evil beasts who are hellbent on killing you. I don't see why that can't also be applied to dogs/cats receiving medical procedures.

(I know they don't hold up in court, but a lot of people don't know that so it'll cut down on some of the sue-happy people)

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

(I know they don't hold up in court, but a lot of people don't know that so it'll cut down on some of the sue-happy people)

This is why they don't bother. Easier to just tell people no, since most people are just idiots who don't know how to handle their stressed-out dog anyway (with some exceptions).

It's ridiculous that after signing a liability waiver in order to do something that is not actually required of you, you can still sue and possibly win even though you opted in on the activity that the vet would have otherwise done (and safely). One of the many :bang: things about America.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?
Not all liability waivers are unenforceable everywhere in the States, so a blanket "they don't hold up in court" is kind of not true.

Edit: In fact, most of what I've been finding says that in general a waiver would only be considered invalid if it required waiving a right that cannot be waived, and if the waiver is severable, only the clauses in violation of state law or public policy are on their face invalid. I know I live in a state where a waiver for simple negligence is considered valid as long as it was signed legally.

Kugyou no Tenshi fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 12, 2012

Josie
Apr 26, 2007

With tales of brave Ulysses; how his naked ears were tortured; By the sirens sweetly singing.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It's like 50 out today with a good stiff 10mph wind. It was 82 on Wednesday. Needless to say, everybody was super cold this morning when it was only about 43 out with 20 mph winds. And then they all came in and dogpiled ( :haw: ) on the couch with me and sulked.

So I went to Petsmart and rectified this situation:

I've had the danes' forever. The only coats I've ever seen that were on a rack that actually fit the danes. I dunno if I'm gonna post the video of them running around or not yet. But still. :3: Dog coats.

The best part of this video is next door's dog trying to come over and play too!

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

the way they're written make horses sound like they are evil beasts who are hellbent on killing you.

I'm pretty sure that horses are more hellbent on killing themselves than anyone else...

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Topoisomerase posted:

I'm pretty sure that horses are more hellbent on killing themselves than anyone else...

Livestock are ridiculous. One of my rams, Al, stuck his head through the fence to get some hay that was just out of reach and then couldn't figure out he had to pull backwards to get out again. He figured he had a good run and was just going to sit there until death took him. When I brought in grain for the ewes he was penned with he suddenly remembered he could move both forward and back :downs:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

Yep. And I have the vet bills to prove it :suicide: Mystery 8 inch deep puncture wound in his chest, 30+ people walked the field to find out what he stabbed himself on and we never found anything.

Then he had a sinus cyst that took three surgeries and a 10 day stint in the equine hospital to remove, then he was kind enough to inhale enough fungus spores to start growing mushrooms in his new and improved extra large sinus cavity, which also had to be removed and involved a multi-day stint in the equine hospital.

I am so very glad we signed him up for health insurance the day we got him.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Dr. Chaco posted:

Long-term steroids is indeed not ideal. Don't lose hope though--there are definitely other options you can pursue. Antihistamines really help some dogs, you just may have to try different ones to see if one is better than another. Sometimes the antihistamines don't solve the problem themselves, but they can at least lower the dose of steroids needed. Allergy shots can be an option if it's environmental allergies. If it ends up being food, some dogs do need the hydrolyzed diets but a lot of dogs can do just fine on limited ingredient/novel protein diets too.

Thus far the steroids seem to be really helping (he's on 5 mg 2x a day I think). We'll see if it holds up as they reduce the dosage. If the long term solution is a doggie zyrtec or claratin a day, then I'd be happy with that too. He's pretty easy to pill (I just hide it in ham or cheese) so that wouldn't be a problem.

Either way I hope it ends up not being progressive and fairly straight forward to treat. My vet was just being very honest and forward about what the worst case scenarios are. I'd love to not have to switch his food, but if I have to I already have a good idea of what I'd like to try next.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Topoisomerase posted:

"Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

wtftastic posted:

Either way I hope it ends up not being progressive and fairly straight forward to treat. My vet was just being very honest and forward about what the worst case scenarios are. I'd love to not have to switch his food, but if I have to I already have a good idea of what I'd like to try next.
I hope it goes well for you guys. As a hopefully comforting anecdote I can tell you that Pi's allergy issues haven't progressed in the few years he's had them. He started out bad enough the vet thought it couldn't possibly just be allergies since he was so lethargic and just generally ill, but after that initial round of systemic steroids and antibiotics to treat his secondary skin infection in his paws he's been fine with just a diet (i.e. a certain brand of hypoallergenic kibble, not even the expensive hydrolyzed protein kind.) He occasionally needs a topical steroid if his diet hasn't been as strict as it should have, but that's not a big deal.

• Locked thread