Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rio
Mar 20, 2008

Zurich posted:

Thinking about spending some $$ on Photoshop/Lightroom plugins (just for fun)- any opinions between these guys?
http://gettotallyrad.com/store/products.php?product=RadLab
http://www.alienskin.com/exposure/whats-new.aspx
http://visualsupply.co/film

1 - haven't used it.

2 - kind of fun to mess around with but falls short on accurate film reproduction. Nothing will totally replicate the look of film but a lot of the presets here are just not that convincing. There might be someone out there who can tweak settings within the program and get something good but honestly I just haven't felt like spending the time within the program when I could put that time into Lightroom or photoshop. With that said, for something where you are just looking to click a button and INSTRAGRAM or something it could be fun to mess around with, it is mainly the film emulation (which seems to be the whole point) that is not accurate or that convincing other than a small minority of settings.

3 - VSCO film is really nice but it is all within Lightroom, so you have to justify dropping the cash on a bunch of presets that just move sliders for you. It doesn't have a huge amount of film stocks overall compared to Exposure but it has more ISO choices, multiple strengths of each ISO and a much more convincing look. If you have the money to burn and are intent on purchasing something then I would put the money here. I don't have a camera that they support but they have profiles for specific Nikon and Canon DSLRs and then "standard" for unsupported cameras. One plus for me is being able to learn some things about Lightroom by seeing exactly what is tweaked when applying each preset rather than sending the file to an external program. Setting a film stock and then being able to tweak settings beyond that within Lightroom is also nice in terms of workflow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Zurich posted:

Thinking about spending some $$ on Photoshop/Lightroom plugins (just for fun)- any opinions between these guys?
http://gettotallyrad.com/store/products.php?product=RadLab
http://www.alienskin.com/exposure/whats-new.aspx
http://visualsupply.co/film

I use alienskin on almost all my images, I extensively modify the settings though per image. It's pretty awesome

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I really did want to like it. I always ended up coming back to two or three different presets (forget which now, one of the was a Kodachrome) and then tweaking to get pretty nice results, but I just felt like I should be doing it in a program that is more standardized and that will definitely exist in the future (not that I have heard about Alienskin going anywhere, but Photoshop and Lightroom are definitely not going anywhere). Maybe not the best reasoning.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

sure, I wouldn't use anything I couldn't replicate myself in PS but it's a big timesaver to do what I need in a single window with a bunch of presets I've made for different occasions.

bobz0r
Jul 8, 2008

I have faith in us, if we don't self-destruct
Couple questions.

Is it ok to go cheap on an IPS monitor? I've got my eyes set on a Dell U2410 (or a U2711 if I win the lottery) once I can afford it but am also looking at the Asus VS239H-P which is less than half the price. These two monitors dont seem very comparable other than the "IPS" designation.

Second. I'm considering at a drawing tablet for Photoshop/LR as my mouse does not offer enough fine control. Looking at the CTH470 Wacom Bamboo Capture tablet. Any users or recommendations of this?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

bobz0r posted:

Couple questions.

Is it ok to go cheap on an IPS monitor? I've got my eyes set on a Dell U2410 (or a U2711 if I win the lottery) once I can afford it but am also looking at the Asus VS239H-P which is less than half the price. These two monitors dont seem very comparable other than the "IPS" designation.

Second. I'm considering at a drawing tablet for Photoshop/LR as my mouse does not offer enough fine control. Looking at the CTH470 Wacom Bamboo Capture tablet. Any users or recommendations of this?

I know the Dells are pretty highly regarded, not heard about the Asus but if it is an IPS panel it should be good as long as you use it with a calibrator. If you *need* an eizo or something like that you will probably be earning enough to buy one.

I still use a Bamboo Pen that's probably been discontinued. The Bamboo line is great for most photography retouching. Mine is about A5 size (a medium I think they call it)

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
I've got a Dell 2312HM which is IPS, highly rated by pretty much everyone, and almost as cheap as the Asus. Although it doesn't have an HDMI port, in case that's a dealbreaker for you.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Not sure which thread this would be best in :o:

For UK goons, these guys:

http://www.yfcanvas.com/PhotoUpload.aspx

have a 75% off code for all their canvas prints:

nov75a

I've had a couple done in the past and they came out really nice... I know you're buying sight-unseen/uncorrected, but my canvasses came out OK, maybe just a hair dark.

20" canvas for £18!! Just placed an order, thanks for that mate, that's a Christmas present out the way!

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Paragon8 posted:

I use alienskin on almost all my images, I extensively modify the settings though per image. It's pretty awesome

This post is my post too. Alienskin is good for getting images to a consistent baseline before you do your stuff.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

AceClown posted:

20" canvas for £18!! Just placed an order, thanks for that mate, that's a Christmas present out the way!
Cool, post when you get it :)

While we talk plugins; imagenomic Portraiture is excellent for a first pass on people photos as long as you keep it on a low setting. I love it, total timesaver.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Portraiture is great when not left to its own devices. The defaults... :barf:

To add another Portraiture tip, I always have it output layers. It's easy to miss it mangling things like hair or ears and sometimes the color range adjustment doesn't quite work. If you've got the layers instead of the flattened image, it's a ten second erase or mask job to fix it.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Mathturbator posted:

This calibration thing is really driving me nuts.

The iMac is now calibrated to a whitepoint of 6225K, while the MBP is at 6180K. They're not even in the same ballpark. I'm beginning to think the calibration unit (X-rite i1 Display Pro) is broken, because if the displays really were at the whitepoints it says, I shouldn't see such a huge difference.

I've already contacted the X-Rite support, but they haven't returned my email.

Help?
They won't email you back, you have to call them. If it's defective, they'll replace it after trying to sell you a ColorMunki.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
After enjoying a few years of access to the local community college darkroom, I may lose access indefinitely after this semester is over. We have an Epson V500 scanner and Lightroom, and I am beginning to learn how to use them. This is my first attempt (click for larger):

It seems a bit dark, but I'm having a hard time getting what I want by fiddling with sliders. It feels like in the darkroom, it's pretty simple to get what I want, and the changes with each print are permanent, so it's easier to "stick with" a change. Basically, it seems like I've got too many options at my disposal, and I find myself over-thinking (possibly under-thinking?) the process. Is there certain settings I should use or stay away from? Why are highlights and shadows different than whites and blacks? What is this voodoo bullshit?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Target Practice posted:

After enjoying a few years of access to the local community college darkroom, I may lose access indefinitely after this semester is over. We have an Epson V500 scanner and Lightroom, and I am beginning to learn how to use them. This is my first attempt (click for larger):

It seems a bit dark, but I'm having a hard time getting what I want by fiddling with sliders. It feels like in the darkroom, it's pretty simple to get what I want, and the changes with each print are permanent, so it's easier to "stick with" a change. Basically, it seems like I've got too many options at my disposal, and I find myself over-thinking (possibly under-thinking?) the process. Is there certain settings I should use or stay away from? Why are highlights and shadows different than whites and blacks? What is this voodoo bullshit?

That's something that's new in Lightroom 4, and I think to really appreciate it you have to have used the garbage Blacks option of Lightroom 2 and 3 that basically destroyed any shadow detail if you upped it more than 1 or 2. Basically they're just more specific. Highlights and Shadows control the detail and brightness of the highlights and shadows, Whites controls the overall "lightness" of the images, and Blacks controls the overall "darkness."

I think the posting on your photo is pretty solid, I just think the photo itself is kind of a compositional mess and doesn't really have a particular goal. I don't think more tweaking is going to make the photo more interesting. I think a close-up shot of that portal with the sky in the background with similar editing could be cool.

Also I think the best way to understand LR and get a feel for the settings is to just gently caress around with it on a lot of different images with different lighting/toning/exposure/etc.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

rio posted:

With that said, for something where you are just looking to click a button and INSTRAGRAM or something it could be fun to mess around with,
:o: I kinda like this bit, the random seed wet plate frames and scratches are nicely implemented; not 'great art' by any means, but if you want the 'hipster process' on your pc, this is a good starting point.

Anyone use Color Efex? I think Silver Efex is excellent, is the color one more of the same quality?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Anyone use Color Efex? I think Silver Efex is excellent, is the color one more of the same quality?

They are both fantastic.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Target Practice posted:

I've gotta ask, why are you using Lightroom to adjust an image you feel is a hero? I understand lightroom for universal adjustments or editing a ton of images but a image like this I could spend hours/days in the darkroom to get right, why not use Photoshop? If there is detail in the 3/4 tones with the negative it should be there in the digital version, hell you can pull a lot of detail out of silver so maybe its a scan issue. What are your scan settings? 16 bit? resolution? 35mm?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I'm having an issue with photoshop that's probably pretty obvious, but I'm just not seeing it.

I've got a set of images (these images http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420896&pagenumber=65#post409595402) and I'd like to print them 2 to a page. So, I checked the dimensions of the image and create a new document twice as wide. Here's the image:

Here's my canvas:

And yet...

When I place the image on the canvas, it doesn't fit. What gives?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

2244 isn't twice the size of 1797

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Make your image size the exact frame of what you want 1 of the images to be. Then, in canvas size, change the width to 200%. That's the easiest way to do what you're after, if you don't want any white space in between the two images.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

mr. mephistopheles posted:

They are both fantastic.
The only question is what's going to happen with Nik in the future now that Google owns them. They were bought for Snapseed and I can't think of Google ever not consolidating a company into their fold, eventually.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

they did update iOS snapseed which sort of is a soft indication that they'll support non-google branded stuff but the track record of companies that have been purchased by google isn't great.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Well Snapseed for sure will continue no matter what, though it might end up getting a Google-fied name or version eventually. I'm just worried about the plugins for other products.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

well at least adobe is pretty good about having old plugins work on newer software

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is Lightroom 4 still the default choice for basic but good photography software? I don't really do much post processing but I want a good program that will at least organise my collection and sync easily with SmugMug along with all the basic post processing tools. The other bonus of Lightroom is that I can get it for with a Student Discount.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'd say it's considerably beyond "basic". It will certainly do all those things you require. I think organisation is an extremely strong aspect of it, for what it's worth.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

The only question is what's going to happen with Nik in the future now that Google owns them. They were bought for Snapseed and I can't think of Google ever not consolidating a company into their fold, eventually.

The awesome thing about photography is even when software and equipment becomes outdated it will still always be as good as it was when it was new, and some of the greatest photos ever were taken and edited with primitive technology relative to what is available today.

If future iterations of the Nik suite are worse, it won't diminish the quality of current versions, and even if current versions will one day be incompatible with newer versions of photo editing software, they'll always work with CS4 and 5 and 6, which will remain awesome no matter how many bells and whistles newer versions get.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

teethgrinder posted:

I'd say it's considerably beyond "basic". It will certainly do all those things you require. I think organisation is an extremely strong aspect of it, for what it's worth.

Okay well that's good as Picasa is just not cutting it for me at the moment. I don't take photos all that often but when I do I want to hook up my camera and have the software move/backup/categorise my photos without much effort. Are there no other products worth looking into?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

Okay well that's good as Picasa is just not cutting it for me at the moment. I don't take photos all that often but when I do I want to hook up my camera and have the software move/backup/categorise my photos without much effort. Are there no other products worth looking into?

Some people like Aperture if you're on a Mac. It's slightly cheaper than LR also.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
My sister is getting a book published, and I offered to do some touchup on her author photo. I am extremely new to post processing, and only have Lightroom. I don't remember what all I did to get from one to the other, but I tried to do the following:

1) Get the post out of the background
2) Mask the wrinkles at her eyes
3) Lessen the neck wrinkles from the head-turn (I told her to see if she could take that photo again with less extreme neck angle, and she said no)
4) Whiten her teeth
5) Take the purple light out of her hair
6) Make her pop out a little more and the green pop out a little less
7) Take out some of the blemishes on her face.

I didn't tell her everything I tried to change, because pointing out someone's wrinkles and blemishes isn't nice. I did all that, sent it to her with the explanation that I'm new at this, and to let me know if she doesn't like something I did, and I haven't heard anything. I am assuming she hates it and am wondering if there is anything I did super wrong or that looks terrible or that I could have done better.

Here is the original:

And my edits:

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Your sister looks dead in the second one. She's way, way too blue and there's a really unnatural shadow on her cheek now. She also has dark circles under her eyes.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

If future iterations of the Nik suite are worse, it won't diminish the quality of current versions, and even if current versions will one day be incompatible with newer versions of photo editing software, they'll always work with CS4 and 5 and 6, which will remain awesome no matter how many bells and whistles newer versions get.

Except when new cameras come out with new RAW formats and you need to upgrade to CS12 for it to be able to read them.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Phanatic posted:

Except when new cameras come out with new RAW formats and you need to upgrade to CS12 for it to be able to read them.

Adobe puts out a free RAW to DNG converter so you can just convert it to a raw format that an older version can read. Not ideal by any means but better than nothing.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

tarepanda posted:

Your sister looks dead in the second one. She's way, way too blue and there's a really unnatural shadow on her cheek now. She also has dark circles under her eyes.

Thanks. I'll work on making her undead. Wait, no, poo poo. Seriously, though, I appreciate the comment. Will try again and repost. I'm sure there are plenty other problems.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Isn't the publisher going to give it their own treatment anyway? The original photo is nice. The face is underexposed, but the publisher presumably knows what needs to be done to make it look good on print.

Not crapping on your work, but I'm wondering if you're just wasting your time.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

teethgrinder posted:

Isn't the publisher going to give it their own treatment anyway? The original photo is nice. The face is underexposed, but the publisher presumably knows what needs to be done to make it look good on print.

Not crapping on your work, but I'm wondering if you're just wasting your time.

No worries. I want to practice, mostly. If the publisher doesn't use it, it won't hurt my feelings. I don't have many people to take pictures of, so this is a chance to mess with skin tone and wrinkles and such, play with masking, and try new things. Also, please crap on my work. I know it is poor at best, and I want to improve.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Just color correct it and maybe desaturate greens a little, it doesn't need more.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
While we're talking about retouching portraits, I had a question.

For my job, we get a lot of photos taken by crappy digital cameras that end up with the people's faces being pretty red. Anyone know of any good tricks to get a better skin tone? I can probably find an example photo if it would help.

Generally I'd play around with the curves/levels, sometimes Hue/Sat or Selective Colour. Just wondering if there is some great method that I don't know about.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
Basically started over on her face and hair. Better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

triplexpac posted:

While we're talking about retouching portraits, I had a question.

For my job, we get a lot of photos taken by crappy digital cameras that end up with the people's faces being pretty red. Anyone know of any good tricks to get a better skin tone? I can probably find an example photo if it would help.

Generally I'd play around with the curves/levels, sometimes Hue/Sat or Selective Colour. Just wondering if there is some great method that I don't know about.

Softer light. If you can control it more to begin with, your job later is a lot easier. Otherwise yeah, just adjust the reds selectively. Sometimes people are just really red though.

Valdara posted:

Basically started over on her face and hair. Better?

Too much magenta in the face (at least on my work monitor) and the hair highlights are still really green. Better than your first try though! Also you need some lines in the face so that it looks realistic. You want to choose lines that would be there because she's crinkling her face. Keep trying again and again, eventually it will look better every time.

• Locked thread