Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Just in case you thought that Penn was the only person in Penn & Teller with idiotic political beliefs, Teller tweeted this:

@MrTeller: @BelchSpeak @benmilligan @pennjillette - I don't approve of using your vote to get for yourself money that other people have earned.

(Sorry for the lack of screen captures, I'm on my phone)

I've sat here for 5 minutes trying to think of a response but all that comes out is angry frothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Goatman Sacks posted:

Engineer spotted

gently caress You :colbert:

Zwabu posted:

I'm pretty sure the 47 percent number is people who don't pay federal income tax.

It get's confusing, cause that number changes each year. But around 47% pay no Federal Income Tax, and around 49% of all Americans live in a household where at least one person receives some kind of government assistance. If you Venn-Diagramed it, there's probably a big crossover of the two groups (at least there should be!) but they aren't entirely the same group. For example, there are millionaires in the "pay no taxes" group; and I know my wife's ex-husband had to collect unemployment for a few months at one point, but owed taxes for the year.

Anyways, the point is you can refer to both groups by saying about half the country, both numbers fluctuate too much year to year to be specific. But you're right, "47%" is currently the tax number, "49%" is currently the assistance number.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This comes up at the tail end of a long discussion under a friend's post. She expressed her exasperation at being stigmatized for having to use food stamps. :bang:

This is obviously a person who only sees "government assistance" through the lens of welfare queens. He claims to be ok with forced sterilizations for people on assistance, regardless of the reason they need it. So basically, he'd be ok with forced sterilizations of all the Enron employees who went on UI because the people at the top of their company ruined everything. How about veterans who lose limbs protecting ARE FREEDOMS? He completely misses the fact that most people who need assistance, only receive it on a temporary basis. But that's not too surprising since his plan is to just fix the problem, while also not caring about the causes.

"I'm not interested in the causes" - That's how all analytical problem solving starts!

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
It pisses me off so much that many on the right assume that anybody that votes democratic is a mooch. I work about 60 hours a week at two different jobs and pay all sorts of taxes. I don't vote democratic because I want more free stuff.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Leon Einstein posted:

It pisses me off so much that many on the right assume that anybody that votes democratic is a mooch. I work about 60 hours a week at two different jobs and pay all sorts of taxes. I don't vote democratic because I want more free stuff.

It's fine, the more they keep calling people mooches, the more they fail to understand why they lost, and the more they will keep losing.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sarion posted:

This is obviously a person who only sees "government assistance" through the lens of welfare queens. He claims to be ok with forced sterilizations for people on assistance, regardless of the reason they need it. So basically, he'd be ok with forced sterilizations of all the Enron employees who went on UI because the people at the top of their company ruined everything. How about veterans who lose limbs protecting ARE FREEDOMS? He completely misses the fact that most people who need assistance, only receive it on a temporary basis. But that's not too surprising since his plan is to just fix the problem, while also not caring about the causes.

"I'm not interested in the causes" - That's how all analytical problem solving starts!
He since backed down from "sterilization" to say that he means temporarily preventing them from breeding (through such "temporary" measures as vasectomies and tube-tying, as if that's any better), and that generally he feels that that's his solution for having less children be born into poverty. I lost interest in that conversation.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

He since backed down from "sterilization" to say that he means temporarily preventing them from breeding (through such "temporary" measures as vasectomies and tube-tying, as if that's any better), and that generally he feels that that's his solution for having less children be born into poverty. I lost interest in that conversation.

The way to get children out of poverty is to prevent them from being born, not to lift their parents out of poverty. :downs:

Why don't we just implement forced abortions on the poor? And give out free birth control with all social assistance? That would probably be cheaper than forcibly sterilizing 49% of America just in case they get pregnant.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Leon Einstein posted:

Yeah my guardians called me lazy for not being able to afford health insurance and just wanting to steal from the poor for voting for Obama. I work 3 jobs and I'm doing 15 credits at a University. It's the most infuriating thing to hear that I'm apparently just not working hard enough.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Because mandatory surgery that can only be reversed 80% of the time is so much better?

Granted, better access to birth control certainly has benefits for people living in poverty, but it's not the end solution. In part because it still ignores the fact that perfectly middle-class people are one pink slip away from joining the ranks of the poor.

Ramadu posted:

Yeah my guardians called me lazy for not being able to afford health insurance and just wanting to steal from the poor for voting for Obama. I work 3 jobs and I'm doing 15 credits at a University. It's the most infuriating thing to hear that I'm apparently just not working hard enough.

Did you mean steal from the rich, or do they actually think you want to steal from the poor? If so, how exactly do they get that idea?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Got this one from a distant relative (I dont even know how they know me, they just found me on facebook through closer relatives) and for some reason sent to my email.

quote:

Subject: Fw: Remarks on CBS on Sunday morning !!!

A little sanity please...

Only hope we find GOD again before it is too late ! !

The following was written by Ben Stein and recited by him on CBS Sunday Morning Commentary.

My confession:

I don't like getting pushed around for being a Jew, and I don't think Christians like getting pushed around for being Christians. I think people who believe in God are sick and tired of getting pushed around, period. I have no idea where the concept came

from, that America is an explicitly atheist country. I can't find it in the Constitution and I don't like it being shoved down my throat...

Or maybe I can put it another way: where did the idea come from that we should worship celebrities and we aren't allowed to worship God as we understand Him? I guess that's a sign that I'm getting old, too. But there are a lot of us who are wondering

where these celebrities came from and where the America we knew went to.

In light of the many jokes we send to one another for a laugh, this is a little different: This is not intended to be a joke; it's not funny, it's intended to get you thinking.
In light of recent events... terrorists attack, school shootings, etc.. I think it started when Madeleine Murray O'Hare (she was murdered, her body found a few years ago)

complained she didn't want prayer in our schools, and we said OK. Then someone said you better not read the Bible in school... The Bible says thou shalt not kill; thou shalt not steal, and love your neighbor as yourself. And we said OK.

Then Dr. Benjamin Spock said we shouldn't spank our children when they misbehave, because their little personalities would be warped and we might damage their self-esteem (Dr. Spock's son committed suicide). We said an expert should know what he's talking

about.. And we said okay..

Now we're asking ourselves why our children have no conscience, why they don't know right from wrong, and why it doesn't bother them to kill strangers, their classmates, and themselves.

Probably, if we think about it long and hard enough, we can figure it out. I think it has a great deal to do with 'WE REAP WHAT WE SOW.'

Funny how simple it is for people to trash God and then wonder why the world's going to hell. Funny how we believe what the newspapers say, but question what the Bible says. Funny how you can send 'jokes' through e-mail and they spread like wildfire,

but when you start sending messages regarding the Lord, people think twice about sharing. Funny how lewd, crude, vulgar and obscene articles pass freely through cyberspace, but public discussion of God is suppressed in the school and workplace.

Are you laughing yet?

Funny how when you forward this message, you will not send it to many on your address list because you're not sure what they believe, or what they will think of you for sending it.

Funny how we can be more worried about what other people think of us than what God thinks of us.

Pass it on if you think it has merit.

If not, then just discard it... no one will know you did. But, if you discard this thought process, don't sit back and complain about what bad shape the world is in.

My Best Regards, Honestly and respectfully,

Ben Stein

Not much to say. It's pretty generic forward fluff piece attributed to a celebrity where it "sounds like" something they'd say but didn't actually write it.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Sarion posted:

Because mandatory surgery that can only be reversed 80% of the time is so much better?

Granted, better access to birth control certainly has benefits for people living in poverty, but it's not the end solution. In part because it still ignores the fact that perfectly middle-class people are one pink slip away from joining the ranks of the poor.

Did you mean steal from the rich, or do they actually think you want to steal from the poor? If so, how exactly do they get that idea?

Yeah I meant the rich. Was on my phone. They watch a lot of fox news are rich as heck and very religious. They hate the social programs because it forces you to give to it Nd would prefer you donated to private charities to pick up the slack.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

Sarion posted:

My experience with this argument is that the people making it don't understand biology. One guy I had this conversation with on Fark thought his daughter had been 'sterilized' when she got an IUD. I had to explain that nope, that's not how it works. A IUD is birth control, not sterilization.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ramadu posted:

They watch a lot of fox news are rich as heck and very religious. They hate the social programs because it forces you to give to it Nd would prefer you donated to private charities to pick up the slack.

Man that's rough. They're rich as heck and you're working three jobs to get through university? Real charitable of them. Also I really hope that "taxes are immoral" meme doesn't become more widespread. Or does. Just keep going further to the right Republicans! See you in ten years! :byewhore:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

RagnarokAngel posted:

Not much to say. It's pretty generic forward fluff piece attributed to a celebrity where it "sounds like" something they'd say but didn't actually write it.
I have no idea if Ben Stein wrote / said it, but if he did it wouldn't be the craziest thing he's put his name to.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I have no idea if Ben Stein wrote / said it, but if he did it wouldn't be the craziest thing he's put his name to.

I was going to say this Ben stein has some pretty staunch beliefs. Like the fact that stimulus spending 'doesn't work' because it doesn't fit his world view. Also if you believe in evolution you support Hitler.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Ben Stein is all sorts of crazy but he made his name as a speech writer. Unless he has some late stage dementia/Alzheimer's disease that he has kept quiet I'm pretty sure he'd never produce something so lovely.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Arglebargle III posted:

Man that's rough. They're rich as heck and you're working three jobs to get through university? Real charitable of them. Also I really hope that "taxes are immoral" meme doesn't become more widespread. Or does. Just keep going further to the right Republicans! See you in ten years! :byewhore:

Well they bought their kids houses and paid for their colleges and a vet school tuition. But I'm just not working hard enough. It took a few days for them to get on the Santa Claus bandwagon though. Its really gotten worse over the years and I really don't see them not continuing rightward.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I stopped reading after the first paragraph that is :qq: Christians and Jews are so persecuted in America :qq: Because gently caress you, whoever wrote that.

Farrok
May 29, 2006

Ramadu posted:

Well they bought their kids houses and paid for their colleges and a vet school tuition. But I'm just not working hard enough. It took a few days for them to get on the Santa Claus bandwagon though. Its really gotten worse over the years and I really don't see them not continuing rightward.

I doubt it will change their minds, but there's always these charts that concisely sum up everything thats wrong with this country:

from http://www.cepr.net/index.php/blogs/cepr-blog/blog-post-health-and-education-on-the-minimum-wage

Edit: Need two more about prisons and military spending, actually, to really sum up everything...

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Farrok posted:

I doubt it will change their minds, but there's always these charts that concisely sum up everything thats wrong with this country:

from http://www.cepr.net/index.php/blogs/cepr-blog/blog-post-health-and-education-on-the-minimum-wage

Edit: Need two more about prisons and military spending, actually, to really sum up everything...

Don't forget a third one to cover housing costs too while you are at it.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Boxman posted:

@MrTeller: @BelchSpeak @benmilligan @pennjillette - I don't approve of using your vote to get for yourself money that other people have earned.

@MrTeller - I agree, I don't approve of the Koch Brothers/oil industry/defense contractors/private prison industry/wall street/capitalism either!

And yes, Teller has been just as big a libertarian poo poo as Penn since forever. He's a fellow at the Cato Institute.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Got this one from a distant relative (I dont even know how they know me, they just found me on facebook through closer relatives) and for some reason sent to my email.

Also, the utterly cliche, standard thing where conservative Christians can't tell the difference between not being stupendously coddled and being actually persecuted.

One of the many dumb things that Mike Huckabee said on the Daily Show last night was when he whined that talk show hosts were allowed to say mean things about Christians! :qq:

Boxman posted:

Just in case you thought that Penn was the only person in Penn & Teller with idiotic political beliefs, Teller tweeted this:

(Sorry for the lack of screen captures, I'm on my phone)

I've sat here for 5 minutes trying to think of a response but all that comes out is angry frothing.
It's really weird how Penn is such a free spirit and unconventional thinker in most things, except that he's the most generic libertarian ever, utterly convinced that government is the exact opposite of freedom while ignoring the free market's capacity for screwing people over, and thinking that all taxation is unjust theft. I guess Teller's the same?

The actual talking point about Obama's supporters being "takers" is just so fictional, a flailing attempt to rationalize away the laundry list of reasons why Romney lost.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Saw something about the Papa John's thing on The Daily Show.
They pointed out that that the JOB CREATORS might have valid beef with Obama, but in the fact that he didn't push harder for single payer option. Then they wouldn't have to pay for their employees insurance at all.
Also that blaming Obamacare was just and excuse to wiggle out of the social contract, just like what we've seen with paid lunches and vacations, etc...

edit: and he gives away a load of pizzas every year.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 14, 2012

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Saw something about the Papa John's thing on The Daily Show.
They pointed out that that the JOB CREATORS might have valid beef with Obama, but in the fact that he didn't push harder for single payer option. Then they wouldn't have to pay for their employees insurance at all.
Also that blaming Obamacare was just and excuse to wiggle out of the social contract, just like what we've seen with paid lunches and vacations, etc...

edit: and he gives away a load of pizzas every year.

I hope he raises his prices to get some better ingredients. Around here at least I get two Dominos pizzas for the price of a single Papa John's large and they're usually delivered faster, taste better, and I can keep them fresh longer.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

sicarius posted:

I hope he raises his prices to get some better ingredients. Around here at least I get two Dominos pizzas for the price of a single Papa John's large and they're usually delivered faster, taste better, and I can keep them fresh longer.

Given that I'd rather eat the cardboard box his so-called "pizzas" come in, this will be a surprisingly easy boycott for me to maintain. :v:

Part of me thinks he'll come around like the Chik-Fil-A people when he starts to lose business over this, but the other part would like to see him go out of business in the ultimate display of cutting off one's nose to spite one's face (though I'd hate to see anyone lose their jobs, he's already actively loving over his employees as it is).

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Does this belong here? Because I...well, I just..I :psyduck:

http://www.npr.org/2012/11/13/164957657/at-lifes-end-a-final-home-on-the-shooting-range

E:

quote:

For Priscilla Isler, firing bullets with her husband's ashes tucked inside is not about mourning but celebration. She even used a few round rounds to kill a wild pig that her family ate for their Fourth of July cookout.

Someone please convince me that this isn't some bizarre poo poo. Please.

big boi fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 14, 2012

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Given that I'd rather eat the cardboard box his so-called "pizzas" come in, this will be a surprisingly easy boycott for me to maintain. :v:

Part of me thinks he'll come around like the Chik-Fil-A people when he starts to lose business over this, but the other part would like to see him go out of business in the ultimate display of cutting off one's nose to spite one's face (though I'd hate to see anyone lose their jobs, he's already actively loving over his employees as it is).

I doubt it will hurt his business much. Unlike the Chik-fil-A thing he's not targeting a minority or being a bigoted rear end. He's just being a money-grabbing corporatist rear end in a top hat. Our nation is far more tolerant of the latter party. It's also getting almost no viral traction or information outside of the political junkies. I doubt more than a small handful of my friends have heard about this.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

My reply got... a little long, even with the edits.

my stupid emails posted:

1. "Imagine two restaurants side by side..." such a mishmash of fallacies. How does this equate to welfare, be it cash assistance, like TANF, or food stamps? They're (the benefits) set aside in finite quantities for a specific reason: to help people not suffer terribly from every setback. It varies from state to state, but a single person receiving TANF in Texas (cash welfare, the one to demonize) gets a whopping $113/month, and there's a lifetime maximum of 5 years for adults. You also have "honor child support requirements", pledge not to voluntarily quit any job, and "train for a job or actively look, if capable" as well as not using drugs and ensuring your kids attend school. An adult who doesn't qualify for themselves, but who supports a kid, gets $93/month. That same adult with 8 kids gets $423.

Part of the reason food stamps are so useful as a social program is that hungry students don't learn very effectively. SNAP (food stamps,) like TANF, is temporary for adults but not kids, who make up fully 51% of the 47,000,000 people on food stamps. The USDA lists eligibility as such: there are both gross and net income requirements, and both must be met, so it's possible to earn a low enough wage that you qualify for the gross income, but not have enough deductions to actually receive benefits. For a single individual the gross is $1,211, the net is $931/month, and the "maximum benefit" for that individual is $200/month. Also, this putative "maximum benefit" is the number from which the 30% of your income is deducted. It's not intended to be long-term, nor is it intended to be luxurious, and it isn't.

To add even more stipulations, if you accidentally work overtime and earn a little too much income, the benefits simply stop, rather than tapering off gradually, so they don't encourage people to make incremental improvements in their situation for fear of losing benefits; like the effect %Step-Mom%'s disability payments had on her hours.

2. "His “negative ads” were simple facts" This avoids the whole fact-checking industry pointing out again and again that Romney was flat out misrepresenting the facts. "They're moving Jeep production to China." apparently was Romney's language for "Existing Jeep production in China can't meet the demands of the Chinese market, so Chrysler is expanding production in China...to serve the Chinese market."

3. "47% of the people” start off against him because they pay no taxes." This is a blindingly-stupid, hand-waving excuse-fest for why Romney lost. 47% of eligible workers have no Federal income tax liability at the end of the year, and so "pay no taxes." There's sales tax in most jurisdictions, which isn't federal but certainly has an impact on basically everyone. In fact, poor people spend a significantly larger portion of their income on goods, so a national sales tax would also disproportionally affect the poor, in a very bad way. There's also property tax, vehicle registrations, social security, etc.

Further, whether he meant it (I doubt it) or not, Romney unwittingly included retarded and disabled people in his 47% gaffe. Just wrapping all people who get 100% of their federal income tax at tax time into one big group, even though
grouping them in other ways is difficult. High-functioning Downs syndrome gets you lumped in with ne'erdowells who genuinely don't want to work, as well as 18-year-olds finishing High School with a part time job, and the elderly Wal-Mart
greeters who work to sustain their existence on a fixed income.

"No skin in the game" is as bad of a phrase as you can get at the national political level, it's almost as much of a windfall for the opposing campaign as McCain air-quoting around the phrase "health of the mother." You might as well air quote the word "Holocaust" in Denmark (for which you might serve prison time.)

Please see David Frum's excellent article at the end of my screed, he's way more eloquent than me, and he's a Republican who writes for CNN.

4. "Unabashedly state that he will not enforce the current immigration laws." Obama has been deporting illegal immigrants since he took office, at a clip that oughtta make GWB jealous. 50% higher on a monthly average.
5. “Taxing the rich” does not yield even 10% of what is required" Required for what, exactly? Is this addressing paying off the entire deficit? That would be a bad financial move, for several reasons. First, what is our debt, really? If I buy a $10,000 T-bill, I've added $10,000 to the debt. I might earn 2% over 10 years on that note. Inflation, meanwhile, will be about 3% over the same time period. In real terms, I lost some funds, however I invested anyway because I know the US government will repay its debts. But then, oh no!, the recession hits, and we elected a liberal, and congress wouldn't work with the liberal, so we had to raise the debt ceiling and we moved from a AAA to a AA credit rating as a country. In some countries, this would be bad, but S&P explicitly stated that the reason for the 'downgrade' was the grandstanding by the Republicans, and contrary to normal usage, in this case nobody feels we're less likely to pay off our debts, not even S&P, who did the downgrading.

So other countries keep lending us this money at ~2%, when the real rate of return is -1.1%, because we're historically a good place to store funds. If we were to remove our deficit altogether, we'd have less cash with which to operate.

Separate from that whole thing, American individuals and interests own fully 40% of treasury assets, China holds ~14.1% and Japan... 14.2%. I don't hear a lot of complaints about Japanese debt, yet it's higher than the Chinese portion. This all ignores the facts that: T-bills have a fixed term, so the Chinese investors can't simply demand their money back. If they could, well, the US controls its own money supply and could literally print the $2 trillion that could require. This would be an exceptionally bad idea, as it would inflate our economy significantly and devalue the dollar, but the effect this would have on the Chinese would probably stop them trying to instantly reclaim their moneys (if it were possible.) This ties in nicely with the allegation that Greece is somehow an indicator of something that could ever happen in the US. First, the Greeks don't control their own money supply like we do. Second, their credit downgrade had their government getting offers for credit card-level interest rates, like 28%+. We're at like 2%.

6. "That people would vote for a Republican Congressmen or Senator and then Obama for President would tend to reinforce": the guy who wrote this doesn't understand districts, gerrymandering or the electoral college. Illinois district 4 would like to have a word with someone who can explain why a congressman's district needs to so conveniently wrap around people who wouldn't likely vote for its usual rep: http://tinyurl.com/a8whg3n It's such a fake shape like it was contrived to preserve one party's hold on that particular district... (both parties do this, of course.)

7. "In New Jersey, for example, it literally does not pay for a conservative to vote." Please, go on, explain how I shouldn't have voted against the Metro prop, or that crappy Dem candidate for Harris Cty DA. Or for Sadler for Senate (he lost, but I respect Ted Cruz for his staunch conservativeness, he just doesn't really represent anything I appreciate. That said, he had this amazing interview about the path Texas is taking, and he's spot on: If Texas goes blue in 2016 or 2010, no Republican as we know them will ever occupy the White House.) If not voting could accomplish anything, it would be illegal.

8. Benghazi. <snip> It's political grandstanding of the most odious type, and it makes me want to bring violence on people. Obama said "terror" the very next day, loving drop the fake 'scandal'. I get that the 'right' needed a scandal to purport about Obama, much like I get that revenge isn't cool with Jesus but we're mostly still pro-death penalty. (Just to pay it lip service: Benghazi was okay with current staffing levels; add'l staff would surely have gone to Tripoli where the embassy is; Repubs voted against higher funding (requested by the administration in a budget) for Embassy security. No fast response team could have been on site within 6 hours, <snip>

9. Also, hostile to Israel? We give over a billion dollars a year to a modern "democracy" that doesn't need it in any real sense; how much more pro-Israel can you really be? They practice a set of policies that in any just country would be addressed for what it is: apartheid. Limiting food supplies to the West Bank literally causes the deaths of babies, but they apparently don't matter because their the wrong ethnicity. White phosphorous in residential areas, why not? I admit, the Jewish peoples were living in the area before Islam came to be, but that's not really much of an excuse for the cleansing they seem to be just fine with.

Love that the American decline began in 2007, thanks for disassociating the whole stack of crap from Obama so I don't have to...

Once again, as Frum points out, the America so many seem to be pining for never existed. Ward and June Cleaver are fictional representations of what some view as an American ideal, but for the vast majority of people that never existed either. As he points out, 50 years ago you couldn't own a phone, or choose how much commission to pay a car dealer in your employ. If the '50s are to be emulated and exemplified, then the top marginal tax rate definitely needs to climb a bit, maybe back to its 91% level.

I had a couple of typos/misspellings, some invective I don't want to share, and a lot of vague, opinionated crap. Any suggestions are appreciated, I've got a huge schism to overcome with my dad, and I strive in these messages to be reasonable, though I don't mind a little mocking tone.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Part of me thinks he'll come around like the Chik-Fil-A people
They didn't, which is no surprise, since one of the anti-gay groups they were donating to was founded in part by one of the Cathy family members.

And from this Snopes article, they claim that they never promised not to donate to anti-gay groups:

quote:

A part of our corporate commitment is to be responsible stewards of all that God has entrusted to us. Because of this commitment, Chick-fil-A’s giving heritage is focused on programs that educate youth, strengthen families and enrich marriages, and support communities. We will continue to focus our giving in those areas. Our intent is not to support political or social agendas.
Considering that the anti-SSM and anti-gay groups characterize themselves as "[strengthening] families and [enriching] marriages", well, I doubt we've seen the last of WinShape's anti-gay giving.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

They didn't, which is no surprise, since one of the anti-gay groups they were donating to was founded in part by one of the Cathy family members.

And from this Snopes article, they claim that they never promised not to donate to anti-gay groups:
Considering that the anti-SSM and anti-gay groups characterize themselves as "[strengthening] families and [enriching] marriages", well, I doubt we've seen the last of WinShape's anti-gay giving.

Ah, my mistake. I was under the impression they had backed down or otherwise reformed their stance. Oh well, gently caress them too. :v:

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Ah, my mistake. I was under the impression they had backed down or otherwise reformed their stance. Oh well, gently caress them too. :v:
Yeah, sadly, they snowed a lot of people with their initial statement. It was kind of sad to watch a few places that had previously reported on the corporate/family tie to the Marriage & Family Foundation suddenly believe that Dan Cathy was ever going to stop finding some way to keep money flowing to anti-gay groups. I had just hoped it would have shifted gears to private (non-WinShape) giving.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
My wife and I haven't talked to her dad in a few years because he and his family are a bunch of racist assholes. Yesterday he calls me out of the blue and tells me I need to stock up on canned goods because it's gonna be a bad 4 years casually namedropping Limbaugh and O'Reilly as his source. When asked if we were coming to thanksgiving I told him I had to travel to Maryland for work (which is true) and he said to watch out because there were already race riots up there :wtc:

He also bitched about Obama taking away his Tricare Prime (he's retired Navy), which only means he has Tricare Standard and has to go to regular doctor instead of the VA.

Instead of arguing I just went along with a lot of 'uh huh' and 'holy crap that's crazy!' comments.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

xwonderboyx posted:

My wife and I haven't talked to her dad in a few years because he and his family are a bunch of racist assholes. Yesterday he calls me out of the blue and tells me I need to stock up on canned goods because it's gonna be a bad 4 years casually namedropping Limbaugh and O'Reilly as his source. When asked if we were coming to thanksgiving I told him I had to travel to Maryland for work (which is true) and he said to watch out because there were already race riots up there :wtc:

He also bitched about Obama taking away his Tricare Prime (he's retired Navy), which only means he has Tricare Standard and has to go to regular doctor instead of the VA.

Instead of arguing I just went along with a lot of 'uh huh' and 'holy crap that's crazy!' comments.
My father is "worried" about Obama. "Something" is going to happen.

That's all I know :tinfoil:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

big boi posted:

http://www.npr.org/2012/11/13/164957657/at-lifes-end-a-final-home-on-the-shooting-range

I know that it's a pastime to make fun of gun nuts but killing your dinner with bullets loaded with the ashes of your dead loved ones is the :black101:est thing ever and I sorta love it.

Its on the same level of pure AMERICA as that guy who was jet skiing in New York Harbor just about when Sandy was starting to hit full on.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Zwabu posted:

Is there any place I can get a hold of "Dreams from My REAL Father" and "2016" DVDs without paying for them? It would make awesome coasters.

I got a free copy in the mail, booya. Still haven't watched it. "A story of reds and deception."

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

big boi posted:

E:

quote:

For Priscilla Isler, it was perfect. Her husband, Glenn, was a hunter at heart and he started young. His dad died when he was 10, leaving him and his mom, and nine brothers and sisters. Glenn took to the fields and forests to hunt for food.

"They're scrambling to make a living and sustain and feed the family," Priscilla says. "Glenn would go off into the woods and he'd come back with two rabbits and [his mother would] say, 'Praise the lord, we're having meat tonight.' So it was truly in his blood."

Over the years, Glenn Isler tried to pass that on. He took a lot of young people on their first hunts and hoped one day to open a school to teach underprivileged kids a love for the woods and how to hunt safely.

But he did not live long enough, so his wife decided to honor his life by having Holy Smoke put his ashes into ammunition.

How on earth can you read that and get upset? It's super sweet and a good idea. The story even includes a super poor family who actually relied on hunting for food and how important it was to their livelihood. People almost always spread ashes over things involving what they loved to do in life. I'm kind of upset that you're being so judgmental of people for enjoying life and mourning differently than you.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Dreams of my Real Father is such straight up racism it's really a bit shocking. Like, it's just straight up 'THE FUCKIN BLACKS WANT TO DESTROY AMERICA AND MAKE US INTO AFRICA GUYS'. If he had done a video of equal length just showing pictures of famous black people and angrily mumbling 'niggers' at them it would have been easier for everyone.

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Excellent, Very Short Story! Be sure to see the picture at the bottom!

The COW AND THE ICE CREAM ONE OF THE BEST THEORIES OF WHY OBAMA WON THE ELECTION

-->From a teacher in the Nashville area - -
"We are worried about 'the cow' when it is all about the 'Ice Cream. 'The most eye-opening civics lesson I ever had was while teaching 3rd grade. The last Presidential election was heating up and some of the children showed an interest. I decided we would have an election for a class president. We would choose our nominees. They would make a campaign speech and the class would vote. To simplify the process, candidates were nominated by other class members. We discussed what kinds of characteristics these students should have. We got many nominations and from those, Jamie and Olivia were picked to run for the top spot.
The class had done a great job in their selections. Both candidates were good kids.

I thought Jamie might have an advantage because he got lots of parental support.

I had never seen Olivia's mother.

The day arrived when they were to make their speeches.

Jamie went first.

He had specific ideas about how to make our class a better place.
He ended by promising to do his very best.

Everyone applauded and he sat down.

Now is was Olivia's turn to speak.

Her speech was concise. She said, "If you will vote for me, I will give you ice cream." She sat down.

The class went wild. "Yes! Yes! We want ice cream."

She surely would say more. She did not have to.

A discussion followed. How did she plan to pay for the ice cream? She wasn't sure. But no one pursued that question. They took her at her word.

Would her parents buy it or would the class pay for it...She didn't know.

The class really didn't care. All they were thinking about was ice cream...

Jamie was forgotten. Olivia won by a landslide.

Every time Barack Obama opened his mouth he offered ice cream and 51.4 % of the people reacted like nine year old's.

They want ice cream.

The other 48.6% percent know they're going to have to feed the cow and clean up the mess."

This is the ice cream Obama promised us!
Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else.
Did you vote for the ice cream?
THAT MY FRIEND, IS HOW OBAMA GOT ELECTED... BY THOSE WHO WANT EVERYTHING FOR FREE!

____

Not going to bother reproducing the images in this email, but it was 3 animated laughing smiley .gifs at the top and a picture of a farmer filling up an ice cream cone from a dairy cow's anus in the footer. Honestly, I really don't see how you can refute anything in this email and also I am 8.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Taking care of a farm animal like a cow as a class provides an excellent chance for the children to learn many things about food production, and everyone can enjoy the fruits of their labor in tasty ice cream, yea it sounds like Olivia knew her poo poo!

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I knew it was going to be about Barry-O as soon as I read "I had never seen Olivia's mother."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
That's one of the more amazing examples of projection I've seen, since trickle-down economics is the ultimate example of that "free ice cream" idea