Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Lord Chumley posted:

I thought you were gonna have the sheep set fire to all the buildings. :(

Me too. An army of perpetually burning kamikaze sheep attacking a major city would be both hilarious and :psyduck:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Unfortunately, entities in minecraft can't spread fire. :negative:

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Lord Chumley posted:

I thought you were gonna have the sheep set fire to all the buildings. :(

I'm just too nice :(

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

President Ark posted:

Unfortunately, entities in minecraft can't spread fire. :negative:

God, that would be amazing. But it's just from block to block and block to entity to ashes to ashes to dust to dust. Fire is pretty.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If entities could spread fire, then no forest would last more than a single night.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

SlothfulCobra posted:

If entities could spread fire, then no forest would last more than a single night.

I don't see the problem here :colbert:.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So I played two matches on a TF2 server, both of which had the same funny thing happen.

They started whining at me for daring to use the Gunslinger. :qq:

It was hilarious to hear this nasally voiced nerd, whining about M1 Pyros and than noticing me, screaming about how "cheap" the Gunslinger is.

What made it better was how bad most of them are. I'm far from the best TF2 player, but I was destroying a lot of them.

Then one of them named themselves EngineersMustDie and dedicated themselves to killing me. :allears:

I wasn't really trying to troll at first, but it became a thing of beauty to just play the game and watch them cry over it.

http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/69.169.160.22:27016/

This is the server, if you ever feel like some easy griefing and pubbie tears, just join it and use gunslinger.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Dr Pepper posted:

So I played two matches on a TF2 server, both of which had the same funny thing happen.

It was hilarious to hear this nasally voiced nerd, whining about M1 Pyros and than noticing me, screaming about how "cheap" the Gunslinger is.

What made it better was how bad most of them are. I'm far from the best TF2 player, but I was destroying a lot of them.

Then one of them named themselves EngineersMustDie and dedicated themselves to killing me. :allears:

I wasn't really trying to troll at first, but it became a thing of beauty to just play the game and watch them cry over it.

This is the server, if you ever feel like some easy griefing and pubbie tears, just join it and use gunslinger.

What does the Gunslinger do that actually made the pubbies angry? I understand that some TF2 weapons literally help fill the weaknesses a class is supposed to have, making them stupidly hard to kill but :psyduck:

E: OH http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Gunslinger they were whining about that? whining about a weak level 1 sentry...

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Dizz posted:

What does the Gunslinger do that actually made the pubbies angry? I understand that some TF2 weapons literally help fill the weaknesses a class is supposed to have, making them stupidly hard to kill but :psyduck:

The gunslinger replaces the large, powerful, upgradable sentry an engineer can normally build with a small non-upgradable one. The big one costs 125 out of your 200 metal to build, and 200 more for every upgrade, but the little one only costs 100. Combine that with the additional 25 health the gunslinger gets you, and you turn a fragile class with a big sentry and a shotgun for area denial into a slightly less fragile one with a little sentry and a shotgun for taking mans out.

The problem is that there are some balance issues, chief among them being that the mini-sentry gets a sort of health regeneration as it builds up and it's itty bitty health bar fills out. This makes it very hard to take out a mini-sentry until it's actually firing it's adorably small bullets at you. Combine this with an engineer who has been filling you with buckshot or peppering you with pistol shots this whole time, and you get one annoying situation to deal with.

That said, if you're prepared to deal with it and the gunslinger engineer doesn't have higher-priority backup, you should be able to dispatch both relatively quickly, or you can just whine over voice about how OP the gunslinger is.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Most people tend to destroy the loving thing by throwing Heavies at it, or having one or more soldier just lie out of range and bomb it with rockets.

(At least, that's what happens to me when I use it. :smithicide:)

On the other hand, regular Level 3 sentries always get every Scout to go Spy to try and revenge sap the fucker.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

JackMackerel posted:

Most people tend to destroy the loving thing by throwing Heavies at it, or having one or more soldier just lie out of range and bomb it with rockets.

(At least, that's what happens to me when I use it. :smithicide:)

On the other hand, regular Level 3 sentries always get every Scout to go Spy to try and revenge sap the fucker.

Just keep shooting those guys and making GBS threads out the mini-sentries. I suggest you take any further gameplay discussion here.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dizz posted:

E: OH http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Gunslinger they were whining about that? whining about a weak level 1 sentry...

The average pubbie player just really has no idea what to do about minisentries. They can be looking right at a minisentry that's shooting at them in full view, and won't even bother shooting back at it. There was for example a really annoying bug a couple of weeks ago where minisentries would spontaneously go invisible and I'm not even sure most players noticed because that's how they normally treat minisentries anyhow.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Dizz posted:

What does the Gunslinger do that actually made the pubbies angry?

It's basically really hard to counter if you're playing vs a competent engineer unless you're mildly competent at an explosives class (or have support, which usually doesn't happen in pubs). Keep in mind the deploy-to-armed time for the things is about a second and an engineer can build two of them in a row without having to look for metal.

There's a pubbie-popular official map called pl_badwater that you've probably seen if you've been exposed to TF2 in any capacity. The last point of this map has the bomb go down a ramp, around a corner and into the pit. Next to the ramp is a little alcove.

If you're an engineer, you can stand about where the crosshairs are in this image and build a dispenser directly behind you, upgrade it to the maximum level and then just spam minisentries on the bottom right corner of the ramp. From this position you have almost perfect cover, a constant metal supply from the dispenser (which is in a good fairly good defensive position anyways) and the sentry covers almost the entire bomb pit and most of the ramp. My only permanent TF2 server ban comes from a terrible server where I managed to turtle there fending off 8 or 9 people for nine and a half minutes while improvising The Nine Minute Badwater Stall Show over alltalk voicechat.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Forgot about this thread. Speaking of TF2, I spent awhile griefing people with teleporters awhile ago and recorded a little bit of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h674Grg8w9I
This one's pretty self explanatory. It can be tough to get a teleporter exit in that location though - there's just one itty bitty spot that isn't flagged as an instand death/no build zone. I really love the people who go in several times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrtP64igc9E
And in this one, I stuck a teleporter in a specific spot where you'd get stuck upon exiting into. The bit at the end was better than I could have planned it. An enemy spy took my teleporter, instantly killing my entire team (including myself) via telefragging, then proceeded to get gunned down by my sentry immediately.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Dr Pepper posted:

It's very easy to get them angry too. I decided to connect to their server and got them raging after spawn camping and claiming that the game allows it and that it would have prevented Hitler's birth.

I drove a few people insane that way.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

TF2's weird, ultra-casual community pretty much griefs itself. I've gotten banned just for trying to complete the objective before. Granted, I was the only one on the server trying to do so... :haw:

It's even worse on Halloween maps, because there is a boss to kill that drops hats or whatever. It's on a fairly tight timer, so both teams need to work together to bring it down before it despawns. A lot of servers had mods to make this easier (preventing damage to other players), but that didn't stop people joining random servers of people playing in standard deathmatch style (with a giant guy occasionally showing up and throwing bombs at everyone) and whining about how people were killing each other.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I don't know if anyone's talked about Mechwarrior Online yet.

The average player is staggeringly stupid, so someone figured out that the old "Tell people ALT and F4 does something cool" trick works like a charm. When pubbies started whining at the official forums about this, goons went into overdrive.
Every time someone disconnected after a helpful goon told him that ALT F4 toggles third person mode, we added it into a list. In a few short months we collected over a thousand names, and the developers announced that lying to make people disconnect was in fact bannable.

Then this happened:

Quickly followed by this:

It is a neverending font of grognard tears.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Illegal Username posted:

Then this happened:

The classics never grow old.

https://twitter.com/dansdata/status/264373601065631744

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm going to be honest, I skimmed the Mechwarrior thread thinking I'd start playing it and it took me ages to twig what was wrong with the instructions about entering third person camera and why people kept laughing about it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Immediately after they announced tricking people into Alt-F4ing was bannable, we moved on to a more direct but less bannable approach.

Say nothing but "don't press alt-f4" in chat. Offer no explanation or reasons, simply command them not to do it. You'd get 1-2 people a game as they presumably did it out of spite or to see what would happen.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I do love how goons and devs get top billing at the head of that list. :3:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I haven't been back in a while, and I never personally got into griefing, but it really is impossible to overstate how stupid the MWO playerbase is from the ground all the way to the very top. You think that you know, but if you haven't been there, you don't. It's bad. Real bad. The amount of idiotic egotism running through the community just adds to the slurry.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

Dr Pepper posted:

I had pretty much the exact same thing happen, with a player called Biscuits. Spent the whole game saying that he's normally a top level player and he was just playing badly, and that's why us scrubs were killing him. After complaining about the gunslinger, he immediately changed to using it. Once that still didn't get him kills, he just left. Pubbies :allears:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Corbeau posted:

I haven't been back in a while, and I never personally got into griefing, but it really is impossible to overstate how stupid the MWO playerbase is from the ground all the way to the very top. You think that you know, but if you haven't been there, you don't. It's bad. Real bad. The amount of idiotic egotism running through the community just adds to the slurry.

Thankfully most people are too busy shooting or blowing up during the game, so you only get to see it through their bizarre mech builds. I've yet to run into any serious Clan RPers, though I've been assured they exist.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The best one is the guy going "Did you know that Alt-F4 makes you quit?" and immediately somebody does it.

"Alt-F4 makes you quit, he says? NO IT DOESN'T, I'LL loving SHOW YOU, TROLL!" :downs:

Boy Wunder
Dec 2, 2000

Zaodai posted:

Say nothing but "don't press alt-f4" in chat. Offer no explanation or reasons, simply command them not to do it. You'd get 1-2 people a game as they presumably did it out of spite or to see what would happen.

Curiosity is very powerful. Back in the day, I was playing Quakeworld and somebody said "type 'gamma gun' in the console to get a new gun." I had been playing the game for a long time and knew it was an obvious trick, but I just had to know if it did anything at all so I tried it. It turned my screen completely white; I had to exit the game and manually edit the config file to get it back to normal. Lesson learned, I guess.

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average
In a similar vein back in the day when playing Air Warrior (A WW2 dogfighting game) on AOL was a thing, my buddy and I used to tell people hitting escape and typing /power guns or /perfect aim or something such would make the guns on their plane better.

The important part was the game only took one character slash commands.

The command /p just happened to be parachute. So whenever anyone used it, they bailed out of their plane and if they knew to hit it again floated down as a giant target. If they didn't know to hit it again, they made a giant splat.

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish
Back in the early days of Everquest newbies in Rivervale use to always ask in global chat if there was a way to remove the rain mostly because when it was raining during the night it was close to pitch black in that zone. I use to tell them to type "/quit rain" and there was always someone falling for it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
While it may not be a game, the alt-F4 thing worked marvelously in mIRC back in the day. So many disconnections. Or CTRL-ALT-DEL twice in a row, back when that worked [98SE maybe?] which was far more evil.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

The goons playing Mechwarrior Online have been using Alt-F4 to prey on Battletech grognards for months now. It still works on them!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Alikchi posted:

The goons playing Mechwarrior Online have been using Alt-F4 to prey on Battletech grognards for months now. It still works on them!

That's what started this discussion.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

But it was all the way at the top of the page! You cant expect a man to scroll that far! :effort:

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Illegal Username posted:

I don't know if anyone's talked about Mechwarrior Online yet.

The average player is staggeringly stupid, so someone figured out that the old "Tell people ALT and F4 does something cool" trick works like a charm. When pubbies started whining at the official forums about this, goons went into overdrive.
Every time someone disconnected after a helpful goon told him that ALT F4 toggles third person mode, we added it into a list. In a few short months we collected over a thousand names, and the developers announced that lying to make people disconnect was in fact bannable.

Then this happened:

Thanks for this. That first picture is never going to get old.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I just remembered another one from the early days of Everquest. There were a lot of beggars, and any high level or well equipped player would receive tons of tells from people looking for free stuff. One trick was to tell them "target me and type /d so I can donate money to you." /d happened to be the command to start a duel, which was one of only ways to attack another player on the non pvp servers. Back then, whenever someone killed their opponent in a duel, a message would be broadcast to the whole server saying "blank has defeated beggar in a duel to the death!" and if they escaped by running to a different zone, the whole server would see "beggar has fled from a duel like a cowardly dog!"

Depending on your class, you could do more to one of these beggars than just kill them. PvP deaths didn't make you lose experience like a death to a monster would, but if you could cast charm, you could make them attack a guard or other high level npc and make them lose experience. This could equal an entire day's worth of grinding unless they could convince a high level cleric to resurrect them, who were in short supply and were tired of strangers begging them for resurrections.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I had a friend at work looking doing something online for some project on their laptop while on break, and I told them to do the alt-F4 thing to make it easier to search or something. The classics never die :v:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
In World of Warcraft, if you go Away From Keyboard during a battleground (an instanced PVP scenario), you're automatically kicked out and can't queue up for another until about 15 minutes have passed. This is mostly to punish people for taking up space in the battleground and leeching credit for kills.

Thing is, you can get the AFK status either by idling for ten minutes or by typing /afk. Either one will kick you out.

It used to be popular to spam in battleground chat some variation on "[user] has been reported Away From Keyboard! Type /afk to vote to kick!"

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
I prefered, "Wannaname has reported you for being afk! Please type /afk present or select present from the escape menu within 30 seconds to remain in the battleground."

Bonald Farndhardt
Apr 18, 2005
Ye it up
Recently I've been enjoying some good old Warcraft III griefing. Please peruse some of the selected works from my portfolio.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Boy Wunder posted:

Curiosity is very powerful. Back in the day, I was playing Quakeworld and somebody said "type 'gamma gun' in the console to get a new gun." I had been playing the game for a long time and knew it was an obvious trick, but I just had to know if it did anything at all so I tried it. It turned my screen completely white; I had to exit the game and manually edit the config file to get it back to normal. Lesson learned, I guess.

The thing I found most amusing was one guy it didn't work on who tried to turn it back on us. This was after they announced that it was bannable, and he said "Oh nice, they patched it so it doesn't work anymore" after we tried to get them to alt-f4.

It was a "Gullible isn't in the dictionary" trap, but that's still more credit than I would normally give pubbies. Nobody fell for it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
That is beautiful you can literally hack people's brains to make them drop out of a game.

• Locked thread