Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

prukinski posted:

My ride home from work. Cue Miami Vice / Hotline Miami soundtrack.

PS: that speed is in km/h - HARDCORE

You're really wringing that engine out too.

Sweet pic though. What kinda bike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco
New videos from KTM:

1290 Super Duke - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h1e9oulMd8
390 Duke - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_msvEmKzeM

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I feel like the first ad is doing more to sell the second bike than the second ad is.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

You're really wringing that engine out too.

Sweet pic though. What kinda bike?

Yeah, warp speed, amirite? You're only gonna see that sort of crazy performance on a REAL MAN'S bike like my CBR250R. :smuggo:

That said, any faster and all my GoPro captures is a niceley exposed dashboard and a ton of blurred-as-gently caress scenery. Low light photography FTW.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Sagebrush posted:

Sure is bizarre that it doesn't have the same exhaust can on each path, though. Or is there another Akrapovic hidden behind the carbon fiber or something?

Shooting for equal length headers on a twin with individual exhausts, you're never going to have the exhausts finish in the same place without some funky routing (see the panigale's u bend in the exhaust under the seat).

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
For the extreme end of that check out Honda GP bikes. This is an old one (rc212v) but all the recent versions look like this in the tail.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Z3n posted:

Shooting for equal length headers on a twin with individual exhausts, you're never going to have the exhausts finish in the same place without some funky routing (see the panigale's u bend in the exhaust under the seat).

Well, sure, but if you're trying to equalize backpressure and scavenging, wouldn't you want to have the same kind of muffler on both paths as well? It looks like both cylinders exhaust into similarly sized headers, but the rear exhaust goes through the Akrapovic can, while the front just turns 90 degrees and goes out the big hole at the bottom. I would think that would completely mess up any chance of balancing them out, no matter how twisty and turny you make the exhaust path.

Then again, KTM seems to be the TVR of motorcycle manufacturers, so "gently caress it, why not" is as likely a reason as any.

And if we're talking about Honda GP bikes' exhausts,

:flashfap:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

That is cool as gently caress and is why I want to do mechanical engineering at uni.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

I have a boner for VFRs right now.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

What a KTM ad should be like...smoke, wheelies, riding like a dong

WTF happened, show this bike being ridden like a dong.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
I could watch the mechanical throttle linkage on the 1290 all day.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

NitroSpazzz posted:

WTF happened, show this bike being ridden like a dong.

I was waiting for the bit where they video document themselves breaking about 9 traffic laws at once and it never came. At most that ride might get a verbal warning for backing it in.

NitroSpazzz posted:

What a KTM ad should be like...smoke, wheelies, riding like a dong

On private land though, no riding over roundabouts, stoppie/wheelie combo at traffic lights, what the hell?

:flaccid:

front wing flexing posted:

I could watch the mechanical throttle linkage on the 1290 all day.

:awesome:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
KTM is pretty much the opposite of TVR...

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
KTM is the KTM of motorcycle manufacturers.

Also the KTM of car manufacturers.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

n8r posted:

The opposite of TVR would be the motorcycle equivalent of the 2000's Toyota, reliable beigemobiles. I don't see that label sticking to KTM.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Coredump posted:

The opposite of TVR would be the motorcycle equivalent of the 2000's Toyota, reliable beigemobiles. I don't see that label sticking to KTM.

Bone stock SV650s however...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

prukinski posted:

My ride home from work. Cue Miami Vice / Hotline Miami soundtrack.

PS: that speed is in km/h - HARDCORE

Thats cool, what was that taken with?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

^^^^^^ he mentioned a GoPro above

n8r posted:

If you have a specific reason that you think TVRs don't come from the same train of thought as that overpowered KTM with the bizarre exhaust up above I'd like to hear it, but I don't think you are really using "opposite" correctly here.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Sagebrush posted:

Well, sure, but if you're trying to equalize backpressure and scavenging, wouldn't you want to have the same kind of muffler on both paths as well? It looks like both cylinders exhaust into similarly sized headers, but the rear exhaust goes through the Akrapovic can, while the front just turns 90 degrees and goes out the big hole at the bottom. I would think that would completely mess up any chance of balancing them out, no matter how twisty and turny you make the exhaust path.

Then again, KTM seems to be the TVR of motorcycle manufacturers, so "gently caress it, why not" is as likely a reason as any.

I can think of a few reasons that you would run different mufflers (use the different size mufflers with different amounts of backpressure to tune individual cylinders to fill out different holes in the powerband)...but you're generally right that it being KTM, it's just as likely they were like "This is badass as gently caress and who cares?". Although it is Akropovic, who is like obsessed with getting the absolute most power out of the bikes on their dynos. Pretty fantastic company overall.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
The SuperDuke 1290 is the kind of motorcycle I ride in my dreams, where I'm not...ya know...lovely at riding and stuff.

Kanye East
Jul 7, 2006
http://video.heraldsun.com.au/2305119754/Police-catch-fumbling-bike-rider

Sorry I don't know how to embed videos, but this is why you don't stall. Also, learning to bump start is handy as well.

Without giving too much away it's someone running from the cops but meets an embarrassing end.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Kanye East posted:

http://video.heraldsun.com.au/2305119754/Police-catch-fumbling-bike-rider

Sorry I don't know how to embed videos, but this is why you don't stall. Also, learning to bump start is handy as well.

Without giving too much away it's someone running from the cops but meets an embarrassing end.

HAhaha, that's great. The smirk on the cop's face as he runs up to the rider still kicking the starter is what makes it.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
OMG SQUEEEEEEEEEE THE BIEBS IS TOTES HAWT ON HIS DUCATI, I MEAN IT'S JUST PERF, YOU MOTO DORKS ARE ALL JELLY!!!!!1!1321

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2012/11/eight-reasons-why-justin-bieber-is-a-squid/#more-26173

welp

So much #swag

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

- woops have gifs instead

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 16, 2012

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Are you loving kidding me? Same loving page, dude.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Silver posted:

OMG SQUEEEEEEEEEE THE BIEBS IS TOTES HAWT ON HIS DUCATI, I MEAN IT'S JUST PERF, YOU MOTO DORKS ARE ALL JELLY!!!!!1!1321

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2012/11/eight-reasons-why-justin-bieber-is-a-squid/#more-26173

welp

So much #swag
The Biebs has good taste in cars bikes and women, and christ, has that Wes guy ever done anything that wasn't snarky and obnoxious? Who gave this guy a blog, who filmed this guy for video segments? Who thought that guy deserved a public platform of any kind?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Christoff posted:

- woops have gifs instead

Christ, what'd that second guy do, fall asleep? That was the weirdest crash ever.

And I like Wes Siler's brand of snark, even though, as one commenter on that page posted, he doesn't have much of a leg to stand on as he ripped his rear end open just a few weeks ago because he wasn't ATGATT.

Also, dude's right. Lotta bike for a beginner, no gear, and massive chicken strips means da biebs*~~~ has no idea what he's doing.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Also, dude's right. Lotta bike for a beginner, no gear, and massive chicken strips means da biebs*~~~ has no idea what he's doing.

Wait, people use the wear pattern of the rear tire of a street driven bike to gauge the ability of a rider? So he bought a bike the looks cool to drive around on. If he's not leaning his bike over at every traffic light he has no idea what he's doing?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Legdiian posted:

Wait, people use the wear pattern of the rear tire of a street driven bike to gauge the ability of a rider? So he bought a bike the looks cool to drive around on. If he's not leaning his bike over at every traffic light he has no idea what he's doing?

Chicken Strip judgement is not an exact science, but it is a piece of evidence that makes up part of the complete picture.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

Safety Dance posted:

Chicken Strip judgement is not an exact science, but it is a piece of evidence that makes up part of the complete picture.

The other part of that picture being zero gear, foot position, riding on the shoulder. Honestly wonder if he had any rider training stuff other than maybe riding it around a bit in his driveway/maybe he rode a dirt bike some.

Picture unrelated.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Legdiian posted:

I run exclusively track takeoffs to keep my street cred. :smug:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Siler is a douche and he's pushing it on a few of those. Where the feet are on the pegs? Really? And he seems sure that Biebster is riding on the shoulder but there are solid white lanes sometimes...

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Were I to see a guy dressed like him on a bike like that and with tiny strips I would assume maybe he's just a rider who lost his gear during a drunken sex romp with supermodels who looove ducatis.

However, with all the pieces in place it says "scrub". Hey, we were all beginners, it's just most of us were smart enough to start with a smaller bike, purchase appropriate gear and maybe take a class before we asked our moms to take pictures of us posing in traffic.

Edit: Positioning on pegs is important, you expect someone riding a supersport to know that.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Position on the pegs makes 0 difference when you're barely crawling in traffic ffs.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

nsaP posted:

Position on the pegs makes 0 difference when you're barely crawling in traffic ffs.

But you look legit to the 1% that knows what to look for
:goonsay:

Also, it's just good practice.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
Yall just mad, I know I am, gently caress that little Canadian poo poo. Let the haterade flow yall.

Here is a cool movie.

http://youtu.be/vM2XFeP8Urg

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Squid.

Squid.

Squid.

Squid.

SQUID!

If only Wes Siler could set these fellas straight and get their heels off the pegs.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

nsaP posted:

Squid.

Squid.

Squid.

Squid.

SQUID!

If only Wes Siler could set these fellas straight and get their heels off the pegs.

No you see these obvious chumps don't know what they're doing. What you don't understand is I have read Twist of the Wrist and am now fully qualified to critique everyone's riding on the internet. Thank you very much. Now I'm off to call someone out on their body position.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Trigger discipline. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Legdiian posted:

Honestly when it's that bad, I do yeah. Even slow corners would take more off than that unless you're simply not riding in a safe manner. He's got to be all but stopping in the corners and bar-steering through them.