Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I just called them- the first person did a password reset, couldn't log in. She transferred me to 'Tech'. They said there's some issue with the website for the last few days. I told them that others could log in, she said maybe it's only affecting some people (after her I asked her if that could be the case). I guess I'm one of the lucky ones!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Okay, I've been awol a little while because of sandy, but I finally got my iphone 5. I absolutely love it way more than the evo 3d, but there are a few nagging issues. First, I don't know if it's just me, but the signal strength indicator seems a little off... sometimes I have trouble opening pages when it says 3-5 bars, when my evo would do the same thing right away in the same place. Secondly, is there any way to have accents on the iphone keyboard? Sometimes I end up typing in french from my phone (a dumb problem, I know).

Also I literally just figured out that you can do vertical panoramas, holy poo poo.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

change my name posted:

Okay, I've been awol a little while because of sandy, but I finally got my iphone 5. I absolutely love it way more than the evo 3d, but there are a few nagging issues. First, I don't know if it's just me, but the signal strength indicator seems a little off... sometimes I have trouble opening pages when it says 3-5 bars, when my evo would do the same thing right away in the same place. Secondly, is there any way to have accents on the iphone keyboard? Sometimes I end up typing in french from my phone (a dumb problem, I know).

Also I literally just figured out that you can do vertical panoramas, holy poo poo.

Hold down the key, eg the "a" and you get "ã å ā à á â ä æ" as options. Holding down "." Gives you double quotes, "," gives you single quotes, "s" even gives the German ß.

I have blown many minds with this tip; spread the word.

Edit: the "." and "," are on the iPad keyboard only, but the others work on both.

Simulated fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 14, 2012

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Ender.uNF posted:

Hold down the key, eg the "a" and you get "ã å ā à á â ä æ" as options. Holding down "." Gives you double quotes, "," gives you single quotes, "s" even gives the German ß.

I have blown many minds with this tip; spread the word.

See, at least droid phones tell you this.

change my name fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 14, 2012

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

So how is Sprint LTE in the places it has been deployed? They're starting to roll it out in the Twin Cities I guess, so I may take advantage of a cheap SGS3 instead of the Nexus 4 on T-mo. Is it legit fast or is it just fast relative to their aenmic piece of poo poo that is their 3G/WiMax?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

UnbornApple posted:

So how is Sprint LTE in the places it has been deployed? They're starting to roll it out in the Twin Cities I guess, so I may take advantage of a cheap SGS3 instead of the Nexus 4 on T-mo. Is it legit fast or is it just fast relative to their aenmic piece of poo poo that is their 3G/WiMax?

Where'd you hear that it's being rolled out here (Twin Cites)?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

UnbornApple posted:

It's pretty legit fast in some places in los Angeles, a bit slower in others (still significantly faster than 3G). Best I've seen is around 25 Mbps, worst was about 5. 3G here is generally 200-1200 Kbps, usually on the slower end of that.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Where'd you hear that it's being rolled out here (Twin Cites)?

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Sprint-Announces-9-More-Coming-Soon-LTE-Markets-122047?nocomment=1

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice
A 10x10Mhz LTE carrier (which Sprint is deploying in the PCS G nationwide block) has a max theoretical of 50 Mbps down, 25 Mbps up... though MIMO 2 antenna devices like the iPhone 5 can hit 86 Mbps down.

In the real world, people have seen 30-35 Mbps download speeds when near the tower. The target bandwidth after full deployment and everyone is using LTE is around 5-10 Mbps average download speeds.

The good news is Network Vision sites are mandatory Gigabit backhaul with fiber (or microwave to a site that has fiber), and almost all links into the NOC are 10 gigabit links. That means they can, within a day or two and entirely electronically, jack up the backhaul to any cell site.... vs putting in an order to the ILEC and waiting three weeks for a puny 1.5Mbps T1 to be installed. That's been their biggest problem lately - the air link between cell phone and tower might be able to deliver 600 Kbps at that moment, but everyone's funneling down to a couple of T1s so you get pathetic dial-up speeds.

As more devices start using LTE and the rollout finishes up they will probably start switching EVDO carriers to LTE, so in some markets you may see 20x20Mhz LTE carriers for a theoretical peak of ~170Mbps.

Also good news with LTE - even with the most marginal signal level you should get at least 2Mbps download speeds. It also doesn't have the "breathing" problem EVDO has where a heavily loaded cell has too much interference at the edges and appears to "shrink" its coverage area. Plus the higher LTE speeds means a lot of stuff loads quickly and the phone can get off the network, vs staying continuously connected waiting on your 0.02Kbps download to finish.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Sprint LTE in Austin ranges from 2.5 to 8 Mbps, but its still in pretty early stage of deployment.

The San Antonio deployment is a lot more mature and I get at least 20 Mbps there.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Ender.uNF posted:

A 10x10Mhz LTE carrier

Man, you say all these cool things and make me want to believe in Sprint so badly, but I can feel it in my bones that Sprint will never be as awesome as its potential.

d[-.-]b fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 14, 2012

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Ender.uNF posted:

A 10x10Mhz LTE carrier (which Sprint is deploying in the PCS G nationwide block) has a max theoretical of 50 Mbps down, 25 Mbps up... though MIMO 2 antenna devices like the iPhone 5 can hit 86 Mbps down.

In the real world, people have seen 30-35 Mbps download speeds when near the tower. The target bandwidth after full deployment and everyone is using LTE is around 5-10 Mbps average download speeds.

The good news is Network Vision sites are mandatory Gigabit backhaul with fiber (or microwave to a site that has fiber), and almost all links into the NOC are 10 gigabit links. That means they can, within a day or two and entirely electronically, jack up the backhaul to any cell site.... vs putting in an order to the ILEC and waiting three weeks for a puny 1.5Mbps T1 to be installed. That's been their biggest problem lately - the air link between cell phone and tower might be able to deliver 600 Kbps at that moment, but everyone's funneling down to a couple of T1s so you get pathetic dial-up speeds.

As more devices start using LTE and the rollout finishes up they will probably start switching EVDO carriers to LTE, so in some markets you may see 20x20Mhz LTE carriers for a theoretical peak of ~170Mbps.

Also good news with LTE - even with the most marginal signal level you should get at least 2Mbps download speeds. It also doesn't have the "breathing" problem EVDO has where a heavily loaded cell has too much interference at the edges and appears to "shrink" its coverage area. Plus the higher LTE speeds means a lot of stuff loads quickly and the phone can get off the network, vs staying continuously connected waiting on your 0.02Kbps download to finish.

I hope for my wife's case that it rolls out to LA very soon. I am leaving Sprint for now and going MtM with Tmo+N4. Will consider coming back in a year if next year all the network issues have been ironed out and we can actually get navigation directions quickly or do a google search on the network. It's REALLY bad for her on the EVO 4G LTE.

My mom is miserable on her Gnex.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice
The SoftBank deal gives me great hope; they already have the first 3 billion in cash in the bank, which is why they bought some spectrum from US Cellular in Chicago.

LA is under way. If it turns out like Chicago, then it will get upgraded rapidly. If it goes like DFW, they'll stall around 30% complete for some reason, though recently it has started picking back up.

I think they'll succeed. Except for the last week or two (due to the hurricane) they seem to have lit a fire under the installers and really started moving.

edit: LA is already 23% complete and they started after DFW. Philly, Puerto Rico, and a bunch of other 2nd round markets have already started ahead of schedule. Baltimore is 50% done, Atlanta 44%, DC 28%. NYC is 15% which is amazing for the slow bureaucracy that infects everything there.

Simulated fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 15, 2012

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
Do you know any specifics about what neighborhoods in Chicago might be improving? I'm pretty much ready to bail on Sprint because I get poo poo data speeds in Wicker Park and Logan Square but if there was a way to know if they're going to get better soon I might wait it out.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Hopefully the US Cellular purchase really props up the midwest.

Most places I go to in my daily life (Suburbs of St. Louis) leave me with 1 to 2 bars and terrible signal, always in the red according to the Netmonitor app.

Most of my roaming is on US Cellular, so hopefully those towers will fix the issue.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

helsabot posted:

Do you know any specifics about what neighborhoods in Chicago might be improving? I'm pretty much ready to bail on Sprint because I get poo poo data speeds in Wicker Park and Logan Square but if there was a way to know if they're going to get better soon I might wait it out.

You're in a hole but Chicago is 71% complete. I would expect all of Chicago to have LTE with good speeds by the end of the year, so any day now.

Sprint is starting to turn on 800 MHz sites now, so it looks like they've shut off enough of iDEN to shove in a voice channel. It's EOL is mid-2013 so I would expect 800 MHz LTE to start rolling out then. That means much better in-building signals. The first markets weren't rolling out 800 simultaneously but as far as I know all work being done right now includes the 800 equipment so it's just flipping a switch.

We should know by the end of December if they really have un-hosed the rollout or not, but so far, so good.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

HolySwissCheese posted:

Sprint LTE in Austin ranges from 2.5 to 8 Mbps, but its still in pretty early stage of deployment.

The San Antonio deployment is a lot more mature and I get at least 20 Mbps there.

Where in SA? Forget LTE, my voice coverage is butts in the northeast part of town (where I live, maybe 20 minutes southeast of the I-35/410 intersection).

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

bobula posted:

Is it possible to swap numbers on lines? Put one person who's currently on EPRP on my SERO line and the other number on the EPRP line?

Anyone have any idea on this?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So is Sprint's LTE going to have better building penetration than their godawful CDMA? I'm REALLY loving sick of not even being able to make a goddamn call (let alone use data) from my work/home because I'm inside.

Also when the gently caress are they going to roll out in Jacksonville Florida. Literally every single other nationwide carrier has their 4G network launched here EXCEPT Sprint.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I am looking at getting a Note 2 through sprint, but i have a BIG question concerning the corporate discount thing. I work for Sears Holdings which provides 25% off with certain plans, after adding the 10$ premium data thing, the monthly bill LOOKS like its going to come out to $62.70something per month.

My question is, are they are any hidden/tacked on fees i should know about? 62 a month us hitting around the cap of where I would be willing to pay, but other places, like Verizon for instance, tack on all kinds of poo poo that brings the monthly bill to about 90 after company discounts. ($90.00 a month for 1gig of data? No way in hell im paying that.)

I appreciate any input on this, im REALLY interested in the note 2 and so far it seems Sprint has the best deal around.

Also, Any sprint guys know how well Tucson, Az is covered by LTE towers?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Nitrousoxide posted:

So is Sprint's LTE going to have better building penetration than their godawful CDMA? I'm REALLY loving sick of not even being able to make a goddamn call (let alone use data) from my work/home because I'm inside.

I don't have it, so I don't know but looking at the frequency, pretty doubtful. Their CDMA is like 1900 Mhz, and so is their LTE. Lower is better for building penetration.

Verizon and AT&T are using 700 Mhz blocks.

Possibly when the nextel stuff finally ends, the FCC has let them use the 800 Mhz block for LTE and CDMA, but who knows when that'll make it to the towers and to phones that'll work with it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

bobula posted:

Anyone have any idea on this?

You can't directly swap numbers no. Normally i would just change the plans, but I'm betting you can't do that since the one line is SERO.

If anyone starts seeing LTE in Philly, let me know where.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

TLG James posted:

I don't have it, so I don't know but looking at the frequency, pretty doubtful. Their CDMA is like 1900 Mhz, and so is their LTE. Lower is better for building penetration.

Verizon and AT&T are using 700 Mhz blocks.

Possibly when the nextel stuff finally ends, the FCC has let them use the 800 Mhz block for LTE and CDMA, but who knows when that'll make it to the towers and to phones that'll work with it.

FCC has already approved the plan and they are rolling out CDMA voice on it right now. Almost all of the new phones have it, including the iPhone 5. Expect much better in-building voice coverage soon. The 800 MHz LTE has to wait for iDEN to be shut off so it will follow slightly later.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
What's the general consensus on Galaxy S3 vs. Evo LTE? I have been using a regular Evo for the last 2.5 years, and liked it quite a bit. My gut says go with the Evo LTE because of my experience, and I know Samsung at least WAS a nightmare.

But then, the Galaxy is on sale on Black Friday, and on paper is a far more powerful phone...

mrglynis
Mar 10, 2009
So about 2 months ago I dropped my flip phone with Verizon and upgraded to a Galaxy Nexus with Sprint. The main reason I went with Sprint was the cost. At the very beginning I noticed a weak signal at my house. But the phone was still usable. It would just sometimes garble the communication. I got tired of that though and called and got an airrave. Since having the airrave I've started having problems with dropped calls. Sometimes its so bad I cant call out or receive calls at all. I have the antennae for the airrave right up against a window.

Last night I called me sister and talked to her for 20 min with no issues. I showed a decent signal the whole time. 20 min later my GF calls and it doesn't go through. It goes to voicemail. So I call her and we talk for about 10 min and the call drops. I call her back and we talk for another 20 min. During the call the signal strength is going from no bars/grey to 2-3 bars blue. Just up and down. When it gets low the communication gets garbled and I can barely understand my GF. Like I miss whole words and things like that.

I've looked online and it seems like there is alot of people who have had problems with the Gnex dropping calls. Something about weak radios. But apparently they updated the software and it seemed to fix it for some people. But all of those cases were from months ago. The software I'm running now is a few upgrades past them.

The sprint signal is pretty weak no matter what. The data is slow regardless of how many bars I have. It either works slowly or not at all. Thats for things like web browsing, pandora, and navigation. I can always send texts though.

My question is: Is this a Galaxy nexus problem? Or a sprint signal strength problem? If I go back to the store, will swapping out for a new phone potentially help me? At the end of the day I just want to be able to reliably make and receive calls from my house. I dont recall dropping calls anywhere besides my house. Or am I just in a lovely service area and I'm hosed regardless?

I'm in Kannapolis, NC about 25 miles north of Charlotte if that makes any difference.

mrglynis fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 15, 2012

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

I am looking at getting a Note 2 through sprint, but i have a BIG question concerning the corporate discount thing. I work for Sears Holdings which provides 25% off with certain plans, after adding the 10$ premium data thing, the monthly bill LOOKS like its going to come out to $62.70something per month.

My question is, are they are any hidden/tacked on fees i should know about? 62 a month us hitting around the cap of where I would be willing to pay, but other places, like Verizon for instance, tack on all kinds of poo poo that brings the monthly bill to about 90 after company discounts. ($90.00 a month for 1gig of data? No way in hell im paying that.)

I appreciate any input on this, im REALLY interested in the note 2 and so far it seems Sprint has the best deal around.

Also, Any sprint guys know how well Tucson, Az is covered by LTE towers?

I too work for Sears and have the 25% discount. On the everything 900 plan with tep plus the premium data, which applies after the discount for some reason, my bill ends up being 98 and change , actually went up to 101 and change this month. Hope that helps.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Duckman2008 posted:

You can't directly swap numbers no. Normally i would just change the plans, but I'm betting you can't do that since the one line is SERO.

If anyone starts seeing LTE in Philly, let me know where.

In that case, is the SERO with more minutes (I think there was one with 1200?) still around? My sister is using up all her anytime minutes while working and last month it was $15 in overage @_@ She went back on GV, but then that started the issue of most calls never actually ringing her phone and going to voicemail instead, which is also a problem.

bobula fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 15, 2012

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Medullah posted:

What's the general consensus on Galaxy S3 vs. Evo LTE? I have been using a regular Evo for the last 2.5 years, and liked it quite a bit. My gut says go with the Evo LTE because of my experience, and I know Samsung at least WAS a nightmare.

But then, the Galaxy is on sale on Black Friday, and on paper is a far more powerful phone...
It's been discussed plenty in here, but the consensus is that Samsung did fine with the S3, and since it's the most popular android phone by a country mile and on every carrier, the community support will beat every other device for a while.

That's not to say that it won't lag an OS version behind the Nexus 4, of course, or that support won't stall out well before a 2yr contract expires, but all of this applies equally/moreso to the EvoLTE.

The only ding against the S3 is the pentile screen, which you can read about in depth online, but the TLDR is that most people don't see it, it bothers the poo poo out of a few people, and a lot of the people who hated it in earlier generations think the resolution is high enough to cancel out the problem on the s3.

Ender.uNF posted:

edit: LA is already 23% complete and they started after DFW. Philly, Puerto Rico, and a bunch of other 2nd round markets have already started ahead of schedule. Baltimore is 50% done, Atlanta 44%, DC 28%. NYC is 15% which is amazing for the slow bureaucracy that infects everything there.
Do these completion percentages include securing backhaul, or just boxes that might someday be plugged in to something?

Oh, what do I care, they won't hit Buffalo for another decade and a half anyway...

WoG fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 15, 2012

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is regular (not LTE) absolute poo poo in Chicago? My wife and I are here with our 21 month old Evo 4Gs, and our batteries are only lasting a few hours on a full charge.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
So this is fun:

WGRZ Channel 2 Buffalo posted:

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- A new report claims the Buffalo area experiences the slowest data speeds in the entire country among the 4 largest cell carriers.

The study, which uses data from Root Metrix tests performed back in May, shows Sprint has the slowest download and upload speeds.

So, literally the worst data speeds anywhere ever. So happy I keep sticking with them! Feels good! :emo:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

bobula posted:

In that case, is the SERO with more minutes (I think there was one with 1200?) still around? My sister is using up all her anytime minutes while working and last month it was $15 in overage @_@ She went back on GV, but then that started the issue of most calls never actually ringing her phone and going to voicemail instead, which is also a problem.

I haven't seen a SERO 1250 plan on eBay in years. You never know, you might get lucky just by asking if it can be upgraded.

Colonelfarva
May 3, 2006
I posted not too long ago about upgrading my Evo 4G, but I've got another question. The Samsung Galaxy SIII has superior hardware when compared to the Nexus, but everything I've read says to opt for the Nexus over the SIII because of earlier software updates. I plan on using Cyanogenmod (I use some old CM7 nightly on my Evo), so would this be a non-issue? What should I consider when choosing between the Galaxy Nexus and SIII?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Colonelfarva posted:

I posted not too long ago about upgrading my Evo 4G, but I've got another question. The Samsung Galaxy SIII has superior hardware when compared to the Nexus, but everything I've read says to opt for the Nexus over the SIII because of earlier software updates. I plan on using Cyanogenmod (I use some old CM7 nightly on my Evo), so would this be a non-issue? What should I consider when choosing between the Galaxy Nexus and SIII?

You should go with the SGS3 without a doubt.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

bobula posted:

This may or may not help: Sprint to Home.

I don't actually know if it's still offered, but I have it on mine. If a majority of calls are to one number, then it doesn't count against minutes. A lot of people were using GrandCentral/Google Voice with Sprint2Home for unlimited minutes, assuming you aren't roaming. I managed to get it for free, though they charged my wife $5/month when she added it 2 years later.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

Lovie Unsmith posted:

I haven't seen a SERO 1250 plan on eBay in years. You never know, you might get lucky just by asking if it can be upgraded.

If you are on SERO, you can change to different SERO plans just by calling up. When my wife's epic died, I was able to move her back to the $30 SERO on my old touch pro 2 just by calling, and then back to SERO premium when I bought her a used evo3d.

You have to call in anyway when you change device tiers because the Web activation tool doesn't allow you to change your plan tier.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Does anyone know if Sprint usually offers deep Black friday discounts for phones bought directly from them? And upgrades, for that matter?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

theDOWmustflow posted:

Does anyone know if Sprint usually offers deep Black friday discounts for phones bought directly from them? And upgrades, for that matter?

It's been leaked that this Black Friday sprint.com will be offering the GS3 for $50, that price is for customers with an upgrade ready.

What I'd like to know is, if I use my upgrade on this, what happens to the other $100? Is it gone or still available? Can I use it toward two more GS3s?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Medullah posted:

you should go to the store and try them out. WoG mentioned the pentile screen, which...I can actually notice the difference pretty clearly (family have both GS3 and EVOLTE), but only when the screen tries to reproduce white colors. I also am probably sperging about it too much.

If the S3 had the screen of the new EVO, it would be the best situation. Unfortunately, it seems that some level of compromise will be needed to escape gingerbread hell on the EVO4G. Oh and, black friday sale...

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Lovie Unsmith posted:

What I'd like to know is, if I use my upgrade on this, what happens to the other $100?
What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Upgrade = $150, phone = $50.