Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
The two pull down shades make sense: pull down where the notifications are to see notifications, pull down where battery/time/wifi are to get to settings. I agree it takes a little bit to get used to it at first, but I think it's an improvement. I'm not sold on the lockscreen widgets, though. One small polish touch I noticed and liked is that the multitasking now zooms in and out from the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Split shade makes sense in landscape. It does not in portrait. Portrait on a 7 inch tablet more often than not means one handed usage. If I'm holding my nexus 7 with my right hand, I lose access to notifications totally as I can't reach far enough with my thumb to escape the quick settings menu. This is one area where the tablet should mimic the phone UI and do a two fingered swipe down to access quick settings.

Shade behavior is also terrible now. I'm used to doing a quick swipe downward and letting the shade drop. Now the shade is about a 3rd of the length that it used to be and it stretches and bounces back if you go beyond its length. These are unnecessary animation distractions. I've even had it bounce back and close on me a few times (it should not act like LITERAL window shade). I'm not even sure why they felt the need to shorten the shade in the first place (it's even shorter than the quick settings menu so they weren't going for symmetry), but the stretch and bounce animation has got to go.

I will never in 100 years be able to get over the bounding box flash on the left hand side every single drat time I wake the tablet up. It makes me feel like my lock screen is in a constant "edit" mode or something. That's incredibly unpolished.

I've been with Android since 2.0 and have used every single version that came after (including Honeycomb.) This is the first time I say swing and a miss. This is the first time where I feel they've made the UI demonstrably worse. Honeycomb may have been slow and buggy, but you could at least tell it was forward progress. This just feels like everyone's side experimentation got checked into AOSP or something. There's not even the slightest hint of design driving these changes and it's a major disappointment after what they've done recently with ICS and JB 4.1.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I will never in 100 years be able to get over the bounding box flash on the left hand side every single drat time I wake the tablet up. It makes me feel like my lock screen is in a constant "edit" mode or something. That's incredibly unpolished.

I just wish the unlock 'home' wasn't always the far-right widget. I would like it to unlock to the middle, so I can choose to put a widget on either the left or right side of the initial unlock screen.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

bull3964 posted:

This bugs the hell out of me too. I am really not liking anything about 4.2. I would like the user switching if I hadn't just bought my girlfriend her own tablet.

Probably going to end up going back to 4.1.2 and just wait for them to unfuck what they did in 4.3 (hopefully).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

plester1 posted:

I just wish the unlock 'home' wasn't always the far-right widget. I would like it to unlock to the middle, so I can choose to put a widget on either the left or right side of the initial unlock screen.

The reason for that is if you have a device with a camera, the shortcut for that is swiping to the left now. Swipe right for widgets, swipe left for camera.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

bull3964 posted:

The reason for that is if you have a device with a camera, the shortcut for that is swiping to the left now. Swipe right for widgets, swipe left for camera.

Yes, and I would love if they got rid of that restriction for a device that doesn't have normal access to the camera like the Nexus 7.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

bull3964 posted:

I'm not even sure why they felt the need to shorten the shade in the first place

Its actually dynamic, with enough notifications its length is just shy of the full screen.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

spacegoat posted:

So how long until we can expect the Nexus 10 to be available on places like Amazon or Newegg?

Amazon will likely be on the 31st of never since they have their own 7" and 9" tablets.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

AlexDeGruven posted:

Amazon will likely be on the 31st of never since they have their own 7" and 9" tablets.

What? They sell Nexus 7s and all styles of iPad and other Android tablets. Why would they not sell the Nexus 10 ever?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Install Gentoo posted:

What? They sell Nexus 7s and all styles of iPad and other Android tablets. Why would they not sell the Nexus 10 ever?

Ha, what do you know. For a long time I looked for N7 on Amazon and all I could find was cases, never any actual units.

I stand corrected.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Install Gentoo posted:

Amazon doesn't sell the Nexus 7. They do have third party merchants that sell the Nexus 7 on amazon.com for more than the Play Store.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Vagrancy posted:

Its actually dynamic, with enough notifications its length is just shy of the full screen.

Yet another questionable UI decision. Why was there any need to make the length of the shade dynamic? It's not like there's some sort of advantage of having a shorter shade since the shade itself has full focus when it's pulled down. There should never be a reason for adding inconsistency into the UI when it offers no functional advantage.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Yet another questionable UI decision. Why was there any need to make the length of the shade dynamic? It's not like there's some sort of advantage of having a shorter shade since the shade itself has full focus when it's pulled down. There should never be a reason for adding inconsistency into the UI when it offers no functional advantage.

Shorter shade means more area where you can tap to get out of it. Turn your question around: why make the shade take up the full screen when there's no functional reason to make it do so? It's like the full screen install/uninstall pages. Using screen space efficiently is something Android tablets and apps can do a lot better and I'm glad to see some steps in that direction. I don't disagree with a lot of your other impressions about 4.2, but it feels like you're really grasping for something to dislike in this case :shobon:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The shade never did take up the full screen on the Nexus 7 and who taps outside the shade to get rid of it? You slide it back up again.

Google went though a lot of trouble to try to unify the UI of the tablet and the phone and the notification shade that they had previously struck a nice compromise of not being too big and phonelike while keeping the same visual cues and behavior. Now, they are different and it's jarring to go between the two different class of devices because they don't behave the same way.

The the shade on the phone is still a fixed length no matter the number of notifications and expands to that length when you pull it down. The tablet is now dynamic with a rubber band effect if you try to pull the shade down too far. The notification shade is a core UI element in Android. Some styling differences are expected and required when changing device screen size and DPI, but the user interaction with the UI elements should stay similar.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 15, 2012

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Any idea of Nexus 10s in a brick and morter store? I'd like to try it out in person first.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

bull3964 posted:

The tablet is now dynamic with a rubber band effect if you try to pull the shade down too far.
This is the irritating part. You pull it down and then let go and it starts to go back up like you hosed up.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

bull3964 posted:

I think the animation looks pretty snazzy and I like the dynamic length.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
The currents daydream would be semi useful as a digital picture frame if the app wasn't buggy. You're supposed to be able to tap on an article to view it in the app but it doesn't take you to the article when you unlock the device.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
So uh multi user support? It works well and even supports lock entry but holy gently caress it just brought my Nexus 7 to a screeching halt. Its basically a 7" G1 at this point. I was super excited to have my fiancé start using it but its so bad I just bought her an N7 for herself.

Manny Calavera
Apr 2, 2004

From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go;
Thus evermore shall rise to Thee
Glad hymns of praise from land and sea

Maker Of Shoes posted:

So uh multi user support? It works well and even supports lock entry but holy gently caress it just brought my Nexus 7 to a screeching halt. Its basically a 7" G1 at this point. I was super excited to have my fiancé start using it but its so bad I just bought her an N7 for herself.

Do you think it keeps user A's applications cached when user B is using the tablet? Sort of like it's trying to do the work of two Nexus 7s?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yeah, I heard about that. I think some people said the issue was resolved by starting with a clean slate, but I'm not 100% sure.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Why can't Google just send poo poo out through the regular postal service? I hate UPS so much. I ordered my Nexus 7 last friday and I'm not going to get it until tomorrow.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

MondayHotDog posted:

Why can't Google just send poo poo out through the regular postal service? I hate UPS so much. I ordered my Nexus 7 last friday and I'm not going to get it until tomorrow.

Because USPS is even worse.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Isn't the USPS currently operating under a temporary ban on lithium-ion batteries? That could be part of it.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Wow, normally I think you guys overreact about changes, but the new clock is really drat ugly.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008

KoB posted:

Wow, normally I think you guys overreact about changes, but the new clock is really drat ugly.

You're in luck: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.alamoapps.unboldedclockwidget

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Woohoo! Got my shipping notification this morning and then got my nexus 10 like a couple hours later. Good job, Google. This thing is pretty great, though. Didn't have 4.2 on it from the box, but it was one of the first things it asked me to do. Really pretty impressed so far, though I agree the new clock is pretty ugly.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Kind of thinking about getting a Nexus 7 even though I have an original Asus Transformer. $200 for a 16gb model is cheap enough that if I don't use it every day I won't be disappointed. Is the CPU/GPU already outdated, or is it still worth getting?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Internet Explorer posted:

Kind of thinking about getting a Nexus 7 even though I have an original Asus Transformer. $200 for a 16gb model is cheap enough that if I don't use it every day I won't be disappointed. Is the CPU/GPU already outdated, or is it still worth getting?

Fast as poo poo. I haven't a problem with it.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Same. Ditched my iPad for the Nexus 7. Way easier to hold and more comfortable to read on.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Got my Nexus 10 today. Got it to work with my media server but none of the media players work yet. They instantly crash from HW mode to SW mode.

Surprisingly it still does pretty good in SW mode. Exynos 5 is ARM v7 so I'm not sure what the problem is. Guess it'll get fixed over time.

Only problem with it is that there is a little light bleed in the bottom left corner, doesn't bother me in use but something I noticed while checking for dead pixels and poo poo.

lamentable dustman fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 17, 2012

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Quoting myself to say I haven't had a problem until I started multi user support. Whole OS chugs. I hesitate to blame the tablet, I just think Google screwed it up. Supposedly a wipe fixes it.

Multi user support changed a lot of how android deals with storage so I'm thinking growing pains.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe
Is there any way to disable the new lock screen poo poo? My Nexus 7 just got an update today and it puts an ugly rear end clock on my lock screen and another ugly rear end see thru box on the left that looks like its halfway off the screen. Swiping the clock up to remove it works like on any other screen but it always comes back the next time it locks.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Just updated my Nexus 7 to 4.2. So.... This sucks!! What exactly is the benefit supposed to be here? I have no need for multi user support. Feels like a solid step back to me,

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

BarkingSquirrel posted:

Is there any way to disable the new lock screen poo poo? My Nexus 7 just got an update today and it puts an ugly rear end clock on my lock screen and another ugly rear end see thru box on the left that looks like its halfway off the screen. Swiping the clock up to remove it works like on any other screen but it always comes back the next time it locks.

You have three choices.

1. Switch out the clock, but keep the lockscreen widget pulse: Fixed clock (Free), Beautiful clock widgets (Free, with in-app purchases), HD Widgets (Paid)

2. Disable the lockscreen widgets + pulse, but stick with the new clock: Lockscreen features policy.

3. Factory reset back to 4.1.2: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images and/or flash a custom image from XDA-developers to prevent the OTA notification.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
My Nexus 7 ran out of battery so I plugged it in. It won't turn on now, and when it does it starts up and than turns itself off. What the gently caress? I literally got this thing 3 days ago. Thanks Google/Asus!

E: I plugged it in and it just keeps power cycling.

E2: Oh yeah, this thing is hosed up. Now in addition to power cycling, the screen went all crazy CRT static on me. My girlfriend got this for me through Staples.com, so hopefully we can just go into a store and exchange it.

And people wonder why Android tablets have a bad name.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Nov 17, 2012

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

It's not like Apple doesn't deliver some faulty devices either. If you produce millions some might slip through QA, simple as that.

Jaur
Jun 5, 2005

uguu~

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

It's cause your tablet doesn't work. That's why.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

My Nexus 7 ran out of battery so I plugged it in. It won't turn on now, and when it does it starts up and than turns itself off. What the gently caress? I literally got this thing 3 days ago. Thanks Google/Asus!

E: I plugged it in and it just keeps power cycling.

E2: Oh yeah, this thing is hosed up. Now in addition to power cycling, the screen went all crazy CRT static on me. My girlfriend got this for me through Staples.com, so hopefully we can just go into a store and exchange it.

Sounds like you just got unlucky. I haven't seen this complaint from anybody else with a Nexus 10, and my Nexus 7 has been solid as a rock since day 1.

I also own a Galaxy S2, and had an HTC Desire, which are both awesome handsets. My only complaint was the T-Mobile G1, which had the first release of Android, and was a piece of crap. It's come on lightyears since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivores
May 25, 2008

All about that bass,
that smooth jazzy bass.
Just curious, but has anyone seen a tablet case that can fit two tablets inside itself simultaneously?