Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

OldSenileGuy posted:

What the hell is wrong with these reviewers talking about NSMB's four player mode as "chaotic", and meaning it in a bad way? :psyduck:

If you are a true SERIOUS GAMES JOURNALIST™ you must understand that games cannot be fun, they must be serious... it's a serious business of games for serious people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Games should be fun but I'll too agree that nSMB was too chaotic for me. I didn't appreciate the floaty jumping or being knocked off a platform by my girlfriend every couple of minutes. I still plan to buy the Wii U game, since a lot of reviews indicated that it was a vast improvement over the Wii's, but I'd love the option to return to the SMB3 competitive turns approach.

It could be added via DLC.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The thing about multiplayer NSMB is that you couldn't approach it from the perspective of wanting to get things done. You had to go in wanting to terrorize your friends. If you just wanted to beat all the content, playing 1 player was far, far easier.

Basically, there's no co-op in NSMB, just a very curious objective-based PVP mode.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

The thing about multiplayer NSMB is that you couldn't approach it from the perspective of wanting to get things done. You had to go in wanting to terrorize your friends. If you just wanted to beat all the content, playing 1 player was far, far easier.

Basically, there's no co-op in NSMB, just a very curious objective-based PVP mode.

Which reminds me, I really hope they make a new 4 Swords with 3DS connectivity or something like that. 'We say it's coop but really youre just loving your friends' is great, and 4 Swords Adventures is perhaps the crowning achievement of the entire genre

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Gutcruncher posted:

'We say it's coop but really youre just loving your friends' is great, and 4 Swords Adventures is perhaps the crowning achievement of the entire genre

Oh, you mean the throw people in pits simulator? I enjoyed that game quite a bit.

Really wish it didn't have a shared Rupee total, though.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Gutcruncher posted:

Which reminds me, I really hope they make a new 4 Swords with 3DS connectivity or something like that. 'We say it's coop but really youre just loving your friends' is great, and 4 Swords Adventures is perhaps the crowning achievement of the entire genre

It would be cool to have a game like this where you can use the Gamepad and/or a 3DS, making it slightly easier to cover all the controllers you need. Obviously they would have to function differently (the 3DS would have to run the software and render its own graphics), but it could be doable.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Supercar Gautier posted:

It would be cool to have a game like this where you can use the Gamepad and/or a 3DS, making it slightly easier to cover all the controllers you need. Obviously they would have to function differently (the 3DS would have to run the software and render its own graphics), but it could be doable.

They said it would be possible to use two gamepads per Wii U, right? That could cut two DSes out of the equation. It shouldnt be too hard to get two 3DSes into one room.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

thedouche posted:

Did they improve the technology from the DS to the 3DS? It seems like my 3DS is way netter at recognizing fingerpresses than my DS.
Yeah that's what I've heard, haven't compared mine but the opinion seems pretty consistent. Resistive technology itself isn't necessarily inherently good or bad, there's different implementations of it, even multitouch ones (...not that Nintendo used that obviously).

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

You could play co-op, it's just hard as hell. If you pull it off you get a nice sense of accomplishment from it at least because it's a bitch to pull off in the first place.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Smuckles posted:

Games should be fun but I'll too agree that nSMB was too chaotic for me. I didn't appreciate the floaty jumping or being knocked off a platform by my girlfriend every couple of minutes. I still plan to buy the Wii U game, since a lot of reviews indicated that it was a vast improvement over the Wii's, but I'd love the option to return to the SMB3 competitive turns approach.

It could be added via DLC.

I love knocking people off platforms, especially people who call the games too easy then whine when you make it harder for them.

pocketbelt
Oct 9, 2012

HRAH
Those sorts of games are hilarious nightmares for me, because my friends and I can and will go out of way just to dick someone else over. All I know is it came to the point where we needed to stop ourselves and jump across a pit in an orderly fashion in World 2 or otherwise we would never make it past that point. We got to World 3 before we decided that the blood pressure wasn't worth another five worlds of timing your jumps to get people's heads.

So of course we're probably going to do it again whenever one of us gets a Wii U. :v:

The CVG review makes the Gamepad player's position actually sound pretty fun, almost like some form of demented Breakout where you're trying to juggle four crazy fidgeting balls with bats that only appear for a few seconds. The challenge levels also sound absolutely wonderful, even if the main game is apparently easy as hell with one player.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Gutcruncher posted:

This is what I'm most excited for. Nintendo has been taking stabs at dual screen play since the Gamecube. Using a GBA with Wind Waker didn't add much, but it was neat if you had it. Four Swords was great and Crystal Chronicles was...there. The Wii didn't use the DS connectivity that much from what I remember. Just the demo service and a couple Pokemon games.

BUT with the gamepad, Four Swords-like stuff is much easier to pull off on the U. I hope we see more DS/3DS connectivity now that there's no need for adapters and cables, etc.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Rocco posted:

I agree with chaotic in a bad way. I hated that poo poo.

At least its easy to figure out which goons were the butt end of being tossed into a death pit.

Cause I loved the four player in NSMBW.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I would be stoked for a new Four Swords, but I'm also 80% certain that it would be local multiplayer only and 99% certain that it wouldn't have voice chat if it were. Which is fine as far as it goes, that's Nintendo's thang.

But I don't know three other local people with a 3DS.

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!
I'm trying to figure out what store for a midnight launch will be my best bet without having to camp for 15 hours. I live in a big city (Dallas), so we have basically every store. I did the last 2 launches in small town WalMarts, which still had pretty big turnouts, so I wonder how different this will be.

Thinking WalMart or Sears is the best bet, maybe Best Buy, with at least 6 to 8 hours of waiting. I'll around first obviously, I hope stores have their poo poo together and disclose how many consoles they have, so you don't have to wait around wondering what the deal is. My Gamecube launch was like that, a total goddamn unorganized mess. The Wii launch was way better. The midnight release thing is far more common now, so maybe there's no need to worry.

Dr. Glasscock fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 15, 2012

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

The Introvert posted:

The CVG review makes the Gamepad player's position actually sound pretty fun, almost like some form of demented Breakout where you're trying to juggle four crazy fidgeting balls with bats that only appear for a few seconds. The challenge levels also sound absolutely wonderful, even if the main game is apparently easy as hell with one player.
Check out some of the stuff pulled off in the last japanese commercial here (starting at 1 minute):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHz9o2CLiYM

edit:

CVG posted:

A second tap removes the platform
Oh god you could be so much of a dick with that.

japtor fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 15, 2012

pocketbelt
Oct 9, 2012

HRAH

japtor posted:

Check out some of the stuff pulled off in the last japanese commercial here (starting at 1 minute):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHz9o2CLiYM

Oh wow, I'm going to have to learn how to pull off wall-jumping that fast with the blocks, and that path bit at the very start of the last ad was cool.

The very end of it has to be them letting the AI show off, though, there's no way you can manage such perfectly synched jumps with people playing.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Gutcruncher posted:

Someone asked Miyamoto about 4 Swords not too long ago, this is what he said:

quote:

“Now that a lot of network technologies are evolving, games like [Zelda] Four Swords actually have great potential to evolve even further from now. Internally, we had continued debate as to the reason why Four Swords could not expand to the audience the way we really hoped it might have. One of the dominant opinions as to the reasons why it didn’t sell was ‘Maybe people did not think that they could fully enjoy playing alone, they’d think that they’d need four players together to make the most of it.’ But I thought ‘No no, we should not think in that fashion at all. If we can really tell that the game itself is fun enough, but that there are obstacles to playing with other players, [then] we need to find out what [that obstacle] was really, and get rid of the kind of nuisances and disturbances.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 15, 2012

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.
If you're looking for a Wii U, try getting it through KMart's pick-up: http://m.kmart.com/productdetails.do?partNumber=018W005471094001P&sid=KAx20050801x13xSlickdeals&PID=4485850&aff=Y

I've got mine paid off at Gamestop already, but it looks like there are several KMarts within 50 miles of me that have them available and add to cart successfully.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bionic posted:

If you're looking for a Wii U, try getting it through KMart's pick-up: http://m.kmart.com/productdetails.do?partNumber=018W005471094001P&sid=KAx20050801x13xSlickdeals&PID=4485850&aff=Y

I've got mine paid off at Gamestop already, but it looks like there are several KMarts within 50 miles of me that have them available and add to cart successfully.

This only works through the mobile site, leading me to believe it was a mistake and they probably won't count it even if you do place an order.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Bionic posted:

In stock today?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Someone asked Miyamoto about 4 Swords not too long ago, this is what he said:

That's so weird. Maybe people didn't want to buy 4 extra cables to hook their gbas up!

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Bionic posted:

I just tried to check out with one in my cart and it failed, wont let me add it back into my cart again, though it still says in stock.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Stopped by Gamestop to pay off my preorder. Played with the demo model. Controller felt odd. I think it was the distance between my hands. Sure I'll get used to it. Good golly Rayman is a pretty game.

So no midnight release for me apparently. I wasn't going to go to one anyway. Guy said they took a waiting list after preorders ran out (which took 1 day) so there is zero chance of anyone picking it up day one there. I guess that stuff is store by store. I'm glad I went there the morning preorders opened.

I already have assassin creed from gamefly and ZombiU is 1st in my queue. Going to epurchase NSMBU for some rebate points.

I'm not sold on ZombiU. I hope its good an can warrent a purchase.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Bombadilillo posted:

That's so weird. Maybe people didn't want to buy 4 extra cables to hook their gbas up!

That's definitely true and probably had more to do with the game flopping than anything else but I do think the whole "I'm only gonna be able to play this game when my friends are here and if they all drag their GBAs along" thing was a big part of it, too, and you can infer from Miyamoto's statement that those "nuisances and disturbances" are being addressed with Wii U, either through being able to play with other people online whenever you like, or by the gamepad being a core part of the experience, or whatever.

Of course, they haven't actually announced anything yet, so who knows what they'll actually end up doing, if they are in fact doing anything at all.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 15, 2012

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Guy said they took a waiting list after preorders ran out (which took 1 day) so there is zero chance of anyone picking it up day one there.

They didn't set the limit of preorders at the number of stock they were getting though. They actually have it set lower so that people can still come in and buy them.

Granted they probably won't last more than the day it comes out... but people who camp out could still get one probably.

As for ZombiU, I think it looks pretty awesome. A lot of people have been saying it's like another Demon's Souls. Pretty much all hands-on previews have been very positive.

The only negative things I can really recall being said about it were:
1) It's on the Nintendo babby console so it'll suck
2) Some guy in this thread that said being mostly blind to your surroundings while searching through your backpack was bullshit and not realistic because of peripheral vision and that it was just a bullshit mechanic etc.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

MaxDuo posted:

They didn't set the limit of preorders at the number of stock they were getting though. They actually have it set lower so that people can still come in and buy them.

Granted they probably won't last more than the day it comes out... but people who camp out could still get one probably.

As for ZombiU, I think it looks pretty awesome. A lot of people have been saying it's like another Demon's Souls. Pretty much all hands-on previews have been very positive.

The only negative things I can really recall being said about it were:
1) It's on the Nintendo babby console so it'll suck
2) Some guy in this thread that said being mostly blind to your surroundings while searching through your backpack was bullshit and not realistic because of peripheral vision and that it was just a bullshit mechanic etc.

Well the guy said that they made themselves a waiting list and are calling people on Sunday and giving them 2 days to come pick it up. They will have zero on the shelves on Sunday. Thats why I said I believe its a store specific thing.

Just a good idea to call and make sure you have a shot if your planning on camping out.

On ZombiU, I am really looking forward to it, Im just not 100% sold yet. I usually gamefly very thing first with the exception of games I want to have around always, so NSMBU or Nintendoland, I know my brothers will want to play that round the holidays. OR games I know I will get 100+ hours in, your Skyrims and Fallouts. Otherwise, rent first. I refuse to support 6 hours games with my gaming dollar. So its nothing against ZombiU in particular, just my buying style. Thats my most anticipated game right now.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Of course, they haven't actually announced anything yet, so who knows what they'll actually end up doing, if they are in fact doing anything at all.

The description of some of the Nintendo Land games seem like test runs for Four Swords-style gameplay, so that's got me hoping, at least. I'm not expecting anything soon, but maybe next holiday?

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

Well the guy said that they made themselves a waiting list and are calling people on Sunday and giving them 2 days to come pick it up. They will have zero on the shelves on Sunday. Thats why I said I believe its a store specific thing.

Just a good idea to call and make sure you have a shot if your planning on camping out.

Yeah mine has a waiting list as well, between that and another store or 2 I'm hoping to have one before the month is out.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Static Rook posted:

The description of some of the Nintendo Land games seem like test runs for Four Swords-style gameplay, so that's got me hoping, at least. I'm not expecting anything soon, but maybe next holiday?

Everything I've seen/heard about the Nintendo Land Zelda game (ie not much) makes it sound like the single-player swordfighting mode from Wii Sports Resort but with an extra character sniping people with the gamepad.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Bombadilillo posted:

On ZombiU, I am really looking forward to it, Im just not 100% sold yet. I usually gamefly very thing first with the exception of games I want to have around always, so NSMBU or Nintendoland, I know my brothers will want to play that round the holidays. OR games I know I will get 100+ hours in, your Skyrims and Fallouts. Otherwise, rent first. I refuse to support 6 hours games with my gaming dollar. So its nothing against ZombiU in particular, just my buying style. Thats my most anticipated game right now.

I think it's a safe bet to hold off on zombiU, it looks ok enough but I get red steel vibes from it. I played it briefly at PAX, and while it seemed functional, it didn't exactly have the tight shooting controls I would have hoped for, and what some previewers call "exciting inventory management" I call an exercise in frustration. Ubisoft isn't exactly the greatest when it comes to launch title quality. Plus unless this is the only game you're buying, if you wait even a week or two it will be found at least slightly cheaper used by the time you're sick of mario or sonic racing.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

^^^Yeah I wonder how much of it is the fact that there arent a lot of games I want day 1. We shall see.

Everything I've seen/heard about the Nintendo Land Zelda game (ie not much) makes it sound like the single-player swordfighting mode from Wii Sports Resort but with an extra character sniping people with the gamepad.

You just described something amazing :colbert:

There was talk earlier about the touch screen sensitivity. Well there were limited demos open. But I did test this on the menu, it was a touch menu, if you swiped slow it scrolled slow, fast it went fast. I tried swiping every lightly to get it to fail and I could not. I tried clicking off target, purposely fat fingering it. Seemed to work fine for me.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 16, 2012

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

I played it (along with 4 other NintendoLand titles) at E3 and this is basically what it is.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
For any of you interested in sales and numbers and all that jazz:
Wii U's software preorders double those of the original Wii

quote:

One of the biggest problems with Nintendo's original Wii was its low software tie ratio. Nintendo may have expanded its audience far beyond a typical video game console owner with demographic barrier-destroying games like Wii Sports and Wii Fit, but the problem was, a lot of those customers never bothered to buy more games.

It's too early to tell whether that situation is going to change with the Wii U, but at the very least, things are looking good prior to this Sunday's launch.

GameStop reports that it's currently sitting on 1.2 million preorders for Wii U games on top of the 500,000 consoles it was allocated (all of which were almost immediately reserved when they went up for preorder back in September).

That's a tie ratio of 2.4 games for every console, which the company says is more than double what it saw leading up to the launch of the original Wii.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Chance posted:

I think it's a safe bet to hold off on zombiU, it looks ok enough but I get red steel vibes from it. I played it briefly at PAX, and while it seemed functional, it didn't exactly have the tight shooting controls I would have hoped for, and what some previewers call "exciting inventory management" I call an exercise in frustration. Ubisoft isn't exactly the greatest when it comes to launch title quality. Plus unless this is the only game you're buying, if you wait even a week or two it will be found at least slightly cheaper used by the time you're sick of mario or sonic racing.

Rich from IGN did a very recent follow up on Zombi U. He went from having the same views as yourself to saying "this is looking like the must have launch title" as of the latest preview. From what he was saying, they have made major improvements and adjustments to what was previously playable.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

With all the reviews flying up today am I the only one a bit... weirded out by the free pass NSMBU is getting? I fully expect the game to be pretty good and I'm excited for it, but some if not most of the reviews boil down to "Pros: It's a Mario game!" and "Cons: Everything ranging from Graphics, to Music, to lazyness." and it's still getting 9/10's and the like.

Yeah it's just numbers and I'd be fine if it got like a 7 or something, but just came off as odd to me as most reviews actual writing makes it sound like it should be a bit lower. v:v:v Eh though, can't wait to pick it up on Sunday and see for myself.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

They said it's pretty creative, rivals Super Mario World in world design and stage design. Hell, I think Joystick said it gets drat sadistic towards the end and the special stages. Pretty much all the creativity and love went into this game, not the 3DS one.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

With all the reviews flying up today am I the only one a bit... weirded out by the free pass NSMBU is getting? I fully expect the game to be pretty good and I'm excited for it, but some if not most of the reviews boil down to "Pros: It's a Mario game!" and "Cons: Everything ranging from Graphics, to Music, to lazyness." and it's still getting 9/10's and the like.

Yeah it's just numbers and I'd be fine if it got like a 7 or something, but just came off as odd to me as most reviews actual writing makes it sound like it should be a bit lower. v:v:v Eh though, can't wait to pick it up on Sunday and see for myself.

I'm buying NSMBU regardless, but i'm waiting to see what Giantbomb says about most of the Wii U games. ( They were giving NSMBU a hard time on their last podcast, but I don't know how much time they've spent with it. )

I just played Super Mario World 3D and Sticker Star back to back and those have been the funnest mario games i've played since Mario 64 so i'm worried I might find NSMBU boring.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Edoraz posted:

They said it's pretty creative, rivals Super Mario World in world design and stage design. Hell, I think Joystick said it gets drat sadistic towards the end and the special stages. Pretty much all the creativity and love went into this game, not the 3DS one.

Oh I don't doubt that, it's why I'm so excited for the game, just stuff like IGN and Gamexplain and a few others I read had various complaints on several things, and each review ended with 9.5/10 4/5 scores and it just seemed strange to me is all!

Honestly I'm super excited for boost rush mode personally, frantically trying to keep up with a vindictive screen just sounds fun to me.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

I generally takes those as "Oh, yeah, I wish they did this this and this, but man that doesn't subtract the quality and fun from this game, just makes me hopeful for the sequel."

I'm trying to be hopelessly optimistic, honestly. :sweatdrop: The recent trailers made me go from "Meh, I'll catch it on rental with my friends." to "Well Played, Nintendo, seems another spot of cash has gone missing from my wallet." Hopefully the game lives up to the scores and it wasn't Nintendo trying to cash them off. I mean, if it was, wouldn't Nintendland get better scores, too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

This is a pretty big thread. Has it been mentioned whether or not the Wii-U upscales Wii games?

• Locked thread