Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
A clean boxing match at the world stage with no lame gimmicks, or tricks - featuring Vorg! This is the best the manga has been in years. Mori is full of surprises. I would also like to see Mori turn this manga around and regain its former glory. So far, so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lectim
Jan 2, 2010
These last few chapters have been really great fights and I'm so glad that we're getting back on track. This is making me more and more excited for Ippo's next fight.
But don't these chapters seem pretty short? I mean, 12 pages is not a long chapter.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Chapters 993-994

It's still going great. I like this American champ, it's been ages since Ippo had this good of an adversary.
Stop with the "America defeated us in the war" thing thou. It distracts me from the goodness.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Yeah, hot drat, this is the Ippo that we all love. Straight up boxing, where the two boxers are fighting with actual tactics and strategy, looking for openings or tells, things that get you really excited about the match.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
What the hell just happened? Did... did I enjoy that?

God drat, Mori, you still got it.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

That was pretty loving excellent. Good logical boxing. I want to pinch myself.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
You know, I think this manga works a lot better as a monthly series. Especially given how truncated a lot of the individual chapters feel.

Also, here's hoping this fight starts a trend for the world stage involving actual boxing.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
it'd be just fine for me if mike won and there was a fully prepped rematch between the two.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Lamebot posted:

it'd be just fine for me if mike won and there was a fully prepped rematch between the two.

Yeah but that removes the drama from this fight completely. The point is if Vorg fails at this point he's not getting another shot.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
That... was good. You see, stuff like this is why we have battered wife syndrome for this manga.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
I like it. I like the simpler boxing with flair we've got instead of masked wrestler themes and gimmick fights. Specifically, I like that the Flying Swallow has value not because it's a high power, destroying punch or manuever, but because of just how it fucks with your opponent's head a little. Getting popped when you thought you were ok is a good way to lose feeling for the match.

onepixeljumpman fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Nov 14, 2012

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Azathoth256 posted:

You know, I think this manga works a lot better as a monthly series. Especially given how truncated a lot of the individual chapters feel.

Also, here's hoping this fight starts a trend for the world stage involving actual boxing.

Yeah getting a batch of chapters really lessens the blow when you get those shorter ones weekly where it seems that not much is happening.

Though that doesn't always work. Woli fight is crap no matter how you read it.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

These chapters unleashed a sensation inside me I hadn't felt for a long time. I felt like I was actually reading Ippo again.

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.
Hajime No Ippo 995

I feel like a punching bag after all these really bad chapters and then being hit with this spectacular fight.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
It is an incredible match. This chapter was just an understated fight between intelligent boxers without special moves and I can't stop reading it. What happened to George Morikawa?

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

The only part of the fight I'm not liking is the anti-American undertones. It's not quite as full on as the post-WW2 flashback, but there's still that tinge of resentment coming through in George's writing. The little exchange between Mike, the ref and his trainer is the prime culprit.

For the record I'm from the UK so it doesn't offend me personally, but I'd still prefer there wasn't any there at all.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Eagle is made out to be a really awesome nice American guy.

It just so turns out he's a blonde ubermench.

And the African-American boxer is being kinda underhanded.

And Bryan Hawk was also kinda swarthy and was a huge rear end in a top hat.

...well, the black dude Ippo fought early on who retired and disappeared forever was a nice guy.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I try to ignore Morikawa's opinions on post-WW2 America. It's his own take on things, I seriously disagree with it, but I think he's totally entitled to his opinion so long as it doesn't take over the entire manga. It's bled out here and there, primary in the seconds' backstories, but they are not the main characters. Ippo and his generation don't really share that same mentality as the people who train them, and that's a healthy enough approach to it for me. As an American, it does leave a blemish on an otherwise awesome manga, but then again Woli was a fuckton worse and had absolutely nothing to do with any of that nonsense.

So...I dunno, man. I'd love nothing more than for George to drop it, but I'd rather put up with "waah waah Americans suck" than another gimmick fight.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Fabricated posted:

Eagle is made out to be a really awesome nice American guy.

And Bryan Hawk was also kinda swarthy and was a huge rear end in a top hat.
I'm amused by how there's an Eagle and there's a Hawk, both Americans. One looks pretty sophisticated and classy, the other was rugged and from the streets.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Shinjobi posted:

So...I dunno, man. I'd love nothing more than for George to drop it, but I'd rather put up with "waah waah Americans suck" than another gimmick fight.

Only Dankichi and Nekota have anything resembling out and out Anti-American feelings, so they're youre talking about a weirdly neurotic old man who won't let go of grudges and a hothead. Beyond that, it's almost comedic how Hawk/Eagle are depicted in a way to balance each other out, with one of them being the nightmare child of crazy mode Mike Tyson and Naseem Hamed, and the other being basically Steve Rogers.

I think Mori generallydoes a good job of depicting between actual real life nationalities, which is something you generally don't see at all in Japanese media.

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 16, 2012

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I dunno dude, Morikawa does the same embarrassing poo poo that like every sports manga does where black people have magical muscles and "innate rhythm" and Mexicans can throw special punches and Americans (the athletes at least) are ridiculous ubermench sociopaths.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Wasn't one of the first things they said about Ozma that he was black and had special hook muscles because of it? That was a dude Ippo fought in the Rookie Kings Tourney.

I think only white dude that has been ok was Arnie Gregory.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

KidDynamite posted:

Wasn't one of the first things they said about Ozma that he was black and had special hook muscles because of it? That was a dude Ippo fought in the Rookie Kings Tourney.

I think only white dude that has been ok was Arnie Gregory.

Well, to be fair, that chapter (Ozma) was written so long ago it is kinda like getting mad at Tin Tin in the Congo No, not really. But it *is* almost 20 years old. Mori has had a lot of time to change

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

trucutru posted:

Well, to be fair, that chapter (Ozma) was written so long ago it is kinda like getting mad at Tin Tin in the Congo No, not really. But it *is* almost 20 years old. Mori has had a lot of time to change

Woli was a southeast asian (malaysian, maybe?) who was good at boxing because he played with monkeys. Mori has not given up casual racism.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Serious Frolicking posted:

Woli was a southeast asian (malaysian, maybe?) who was good at boxing because he played with monkeys. Mori has not given up casual racism.

Usually Indonesians hate their things being mistaken for Malaysian, but not this time. Yes, he's from Malaysia. Also apparently (according to the wiki) his name is actually 'Wally'?

Big L
Oct 30, 2005

Fedora Emelianenko
Hajime no Ippo 996

Well, what do you know. This fight is still pretty good!

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
It's not just good, it's getting better. I'm still bracing myself for something bad happening though.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Ghost ippo is going to reappear and add to the feints vorg is able to throw.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
Wait a minute, that's Woli's music! :bahgawd:

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
I'm a fool to believe, but I'm hoping this match stays this amazing to the very end. Volg is one of my favorite characters from this manga and I'll be heartbroken if he loses, but god drat, what a way for this manga to regain its old form.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I'm really liking this fight. A thing that helps is that, since Volg is not one of the Kamogawa golden boys, the fight could go either way. Volg can actually lose, if only to motivate Ippo to finally go challenge the world.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Volg is probably going to lose.

Volg is only used as a jobber to show just how good boxers on the world stage are.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

AHHHHHHHHHHH this is too intense

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Uh yeah, Ippo/Sendo would've gotten hit but they're loving catchers; that's their style. Like 90% of Ippo's fights involve him taking the opponent's best hit, no-selling it, then breaking their ribs and eye-sockets with the opening.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Dexo posted:

Volg is probably going to lose.

Volg is only used as a jobber to show just how good boxers on the world stage are.

It pretty much is. The fact that Sendo/Ippo are basically coming to the fact they would lose this fight pretty much confirms their fears. Much as I like Volg, it does really look like he's going to lose this one.

Still it's been a very enjoyable fight.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

He has to lose it. If Ippo is going to the world, Mori needs to hype it again with suspense.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
I was originally bothered by the idea that Volg would be sacrificed to show Ippo and Sendo that the World is tough, but this little story is being done well enough that I'm ok with it. I think part of it is that Volg's match isn't just "Oh, he's strong, JUST LIKE THE WHOLE WORLD IPPO!" but that it's getting Ippo to really think about his actual boxing weaknesses.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

onepixeljumpman posted:

I was originally bothered by the idea that Volg would be sacrificed to show Ippo and Sendo that the World is tough, but this little story is being done well enough that I'm ok with it. I think part of it is that Volg's match isn't just "Oh, he's strong, JUST LIKE THE WHOLE WORLD IPPO!" but that it's getting Ippo to really think about his actual boxing weaknesses.

Also it's conceivable that the fight could end in such a way that Volg could continue his boxing career even if he loses, since he's holding his own against someone who he barely had time to prepare for.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

998 is up.

http://mangastream.com/read/hajime_no_ippo/83628852/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I don't even remember the last time I said to myself "I can't wait for next week's Hajime no Ippo."