Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

This is the only costume I thought Orbit would tolerate.

He was actually pretty good about it! Little pumpkin :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The gf is making Chia Pet costumes for Taziki and Pita. Pretty much just gluing a lot of fake green grass to a children's green shirt and wrapping their legs in orange felt.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Aw, man, I wanted to do a Halloween Corgstravaganza with the Neige, but between her intermittent limping and our impending move (to our very first house, holy poo poo my bank account), it might be better to save it for next year.

What costume would work best for a white-faced no-leg monster dog?

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
This is my baby girl Sam, named after Samantha Carter. I'm a Stargate nerd...
She turned 2 years old today, still wound up like a clock spring, but has her moments of quiet. I got her from a breeder at about two months old. Love her to pieces.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Dawww belly!!

Here's Eevee thinking about her parents:

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Wulfling posted:

This is my baby girl Sam, named after Samantha Carter. I'm a Stargate nerd...
She turned 2 years old today, still wound up like a clock spring, but has her moments of quiet. I got her from a breeder at about two months old. Love her to pieces.

Could be worse, you could have named your dog after an Iron Man character or the Norse god of mischief

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

...or after a Pokemon...

ARMBAR A COP fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 27, 2012

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I love the names Eevee and Loki for a Corgi. Can't think of the Ironman character though :/

I know what I'm going to name my companion when I get him already. Is that weird? It could change if I don't think the name fits though, but I'm confident it will

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Awesome Animals posted:

I love the names Eevee and Loki for a Corgi. Can't think of the Ironman character though :/

I know what I'm going to name my companion when I get him already. Is that weird? It could change if I don't think the name fits though, but I'm confident it will

I had already decided to name my corgi, Sir Digby Chicken Caesar but we ended up getting a girl. Eevee is a great name for any dog, really.

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012

Awesome Animals posted:

People really seem to love name "Loki" for their doggylicious friends. If I had to guess what was the most common name for the dog I have heard it would definitely be Loki. Not hating or anything, just curious what makes it so popular.

Before I got Guinness, I had a couple of names that I could give him. For the longest time I wanted to name him Ben (as in Benjamin Linus from TV series "Lost"), but the moment I saw the name breeder gave him (Guinness Black) I knew it was perfect.

Just wait for it and the name that fits your pup will come to you. It might be the Loki or Eevee or just something completely different that suits him or her perfectly.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Better than naming your dog after a South Park character :buddy:

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Just got a puppy this weekend who is 9 weeks old now. His name is Niuniu (牛牛).

He is a tri-colored welsh corgi we got from a breeder. We had them keep the tail on, though you can only sort of see it in this photo.

He is pretty awesome and I had a quick question about how much he should run. When I walk him I like to have him run to get some exercise. He also seems to really enjoy running. I stop when he seems tired and don't run for more than a minute at a time, but I want to know if that's safe for his joints etc. or if I should stick to walking for now?

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 30, 2012

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Let him run around if he wants but don't force him to run, I'd say. Butters loves to go on runs with my GF (and can go for a surprising distance too) but she wouldn't take him on any of those until he was about a year(?) old. Just go for long walks in the meantime.

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
Never run yourself first, because a dog will follow you no matter what.
Corgies have joint and back problems quite regularly anyway, there's zero need for the owner to reinforce that chance.

I would say short sprints - 50 metres or so - bunch of times per a walk is just fine and is going to be fun for the little guy, but don't overdo it.
Once he's older (a year, year and a half) you can get him to run more frequently and for longer distances (nothing extreme still). For now though, the distances he's going to run by himself while exploring and chasing leaves in the wind is going to be enough of an exercise in my opinion. :)

And congrats on a Corgi.
Join the tri-color club and a tail club good sir. :)

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
Oh. My. Days.

Yesterday I got an email from the breeder I got Guinness from that they are making a little trip through Europe (from Warshaw to Tartu (14 hour drive) ) to go to a dog show. Told me that they can stop in Riga, my hometown, to visit Guinness.

Comes today's afternoon, they arrive AND HOLY MOLLY THEY BROUGHT THEIR CORGIES!! (somehow it never occurred to me that they were going to dog show with their dogs :sigh:)
Might not be a big deal to most, but down here I'm quite lucky to see a Corgi on street. In fact I think I have seen only 3 or 4 Corgies since February.

They were in hurry and could only stop for 10-15 minutes. Didn't have a whole lot of time to make nice and pretty pictures, but I snapped at least something.

I miss them all already.

Guinness with his mother "Sowa" (Owl)

They wouldn't sit still. :)

Two Pembrokes. ( with a tail! )

And two Cardies! Guinness' mom and breeder's other personal Corgi.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I would be so happy if I saw that many corgis!!!!

Orbit just burped in my face, so he approves as well.

Closet Nerd
Feb 21, 2011

systran posted:

Just got a puppy this weekend who is 9 weeks old now. His name is Niuniu (牛牛).

He is a tri-colored welsh corgi we got from a breeder. We had them keep the tail on, though you can only sort of see it in this photo.

He is pretty awesome and I had a quick question about how much he should run. When I walk him I like to have him run to get some exercise. He also seems to really enjoy running. I stop when he seems tired and don't run for more than a minute at a time, but I want to know if that's safe for his joints etc. or if I should stick to walking for now?

So Cute!!! Congrats!

How did you get them to agree to keep the tail?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I talked to a few different breeders and two out of three were huge jerks about it. One said something like "Well.. I suppose if you give me the full price for the deposit I will consider it... but not any of my prize breeds, those will keep the tail".

The one I ended up buying from essentially said "Yeah I have some of my own with tails too, if they are sick when it's time to take the tails off I just leave them on. I can keep the tail for you, even if you end up not buying it someone else will anyway". She just charged me the regular deposit and everything.

Diocletian
Jul 4, 2003
A more updated pic of Elly, she's 10 months old now!

This is her morning ritual when I go to leave for work in the morning. She just flops and lays there until you cuddle her and place her back in her room. :)

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Are corgis generally very talkative? I visited my boyfriend's family and they have two, one of whom is all about growling and grumbling and "talking".

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

wtftastic posted:

Are corgis generally very talkative? I visited my boyfriend's family and they have two, one of whom is all about growling and grumbling and "talking".

Panda is only 4 months old but she's at the 'barking' stage, especially in the morning when we're trying to get stuff together and get out of the house. She'll also grumble/bark when she's bored because she wants us to chase her. Poor thing, she's cooped up all week and only gets extended outdoor time on the weekends but thankfully after this Monday, she'll be all clear on her Parvo shots so we can start taking her for walks every day.

We're trying to ignore her when she barks so she doesn't think that's how she gets what she wants but my god, that high pitch bark can get to you.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Orbit makes the weirdest sounds constantly. He likes to sing along with me and grumble and barkbark when he gets excited! Definitely pretty vocal.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Yeah, Nova is really vocal too. She doesn't bark much, but she grumbles, whines, huffs, sighs, and just "talks" a lot, mostly when she wants to play.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Sam is the same way, quite noisy when she wants attention, or needs to go out, or you touched her while she's sleeping. Rarely barks, but loves to talk.

Sorin Koslov
Sep 2, 2012
My corgi is the same way, he barks and "talks" quite a bit but after a walk and some playing simmers down.

I was working the night shift for a long time and would play with him at 2am on my days off. when i returned to day shift he still wanted a 2am playtime would jump on the GF and wake her up almost nightly

what a good boy

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012

I Might Be Adam posted:

Panda is only 4 months old but she's at the 'barking' stage, especially in the morning when we're trying to get stuff together and get out of the house. She'll also grumble/bark when she's bored because she wants us to chase her. Poor thing, she's cooped up all week and only gets extended outdoor time on the weekends but thankfully after this Monday, she'll be all clear on her Parvo shots so we can start taking her for walks every day.

We're trying to ignore her when she barks so she doesn't think that's how she gets what she wants but my god, that high pitch bark can get to you.

Oh, sigh.
I remember when Guinness had a fewer and had to stay inside for a week, because it was -20' C outside. (very, very cold in 'F) He would make soooooooooooooo much noise I was going crazy. If a Corgi doesn't get enough exercise or outside time, it can be one of the worst nightmares you could have. :)

Today was Guinness' 1st birthday. Went to seaside, since it miraculously wasn't raining. Got the little guy a new bright red collar, a cute scarf and a "jumpsuit" for cold winter mornings. :)
My sister got him a plushy sheep. He used to have one he really loved, but he completely destroyed it one day, so I had to trow it out. He got another one now, which he brings with him everywhere he goes. Even slept through the day on it.

Don't have any pictures of today, since I forgot my camera.
I present you Guinness and his ex-sheep nevertheless. :)

Gonna be heading on a work trip through the most of Europe for a week tomorrow. Missing the little munchkin already. It's weird how attached you get to something/one in less than a year.

Have a corgilicious week friends. :)

Break Fast fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 11, 2012

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Here's a video of Eevee taking on my room mate's pug puppy, Flint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzjtbU6bvU4
http://youtu.be/QzjtbU6bvU4

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I don't know if it was someone I know or something from THE INTERNET, but I've heard of a Corgi who was given a whole flock of the plus sheep (10-15) and spends his time hearding them around, as in he will have them in a pile somewhere, then will pick them up individually and move them somewhere else one by one, guard them for a while, then heard them off to a new location.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Saint Darwin posted:

I don't know if it was someone I know or something from THE INTERNET, but I've heard of a Corgi who was given a whole flock of the plus sheep (10-15) and spends his time hearding them around, as in he will have them in a pile somewhere, then will pick them up individually and move them somewhere else one by one, guard them for a while, then heard them off to a new location.

It wouldn't surprise me. Corgis were bred to spend 12+ hours a day working livestock, and they're quirky enough to come up with their own entertainment and games while doing so. Incidentally, it's why they don't make good pets for people who aren't motivated to give them outlets for their energy and drive. Amazing stamina, these stubby-legged beasties have.

Here is one using her high intelligence to reformat my husband's hard drive. Of course now she's changed all the desktop background photos to pictures of raw steak and chicken necks...

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

After a long day at my folks' house digging, getting covered in mud, playing with their golden retriever Daisy, etc. I had to give Panda a bath for her vet appointment today. I don't know if it's the perspective of the camera but I'm so happy her ears are so massive. She looks like she's about to just fly away.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Gonna steal dat dawg! :3: Gotta have ALL THE MISMARKS.

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
Oh, dang! It looks like he's about to use that loud wind machine on me.
Better fluff my ears and fly awaaaaaayyyy. :3:

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Because my girlfirend wants to get a hedgehog, she has been doing a lot of research, but came across this adorable video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9mDQpqCaQ4

:3

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Diocletian posted:

A more updated pic of Elly, she's 10 months old now!

I love this look dogs get, where you can kind of see the whites of their eyes. They always look so tired and soul-searchy, like "What am I doing with my life, I should go back and finish my degree."

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.
Does anyone bike around with their corgi? I'd really like to get some kind of backpack or frontpack carrier for Beanie so I can carry her while I bike around Brooklyn. Any suggestions? She's about 20-22 pounds...

Some recent photos:

After Hurricane Sandy.

Snoozing.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

amishsexpot posted:

Does anyone bike around with their corgi? I'd really like to get some kind of backpack or frontpack carrier for Beanie so I can carry her while I bike around Brooklyn. Any suggestions? She's about 20-22 pounds...

Some recent photos:

After Hurricane Sandy.

Snoozing.
An extra-long milk crate, with some padding on the bottom? THe main thing is trusting that your dog won't leap out - my corgi jumped out of the back of a truck and chipped something in her shoulder, and was a bit gimpy afterward.

Or a single-child-sized bike trailer/jogging stroller. My dog loves riding in mine.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Tycho and Refurb upon hearing a treat bag

They're still getting along great, Tycho loves to chew on the cat's head when they play but he's pretty gentle about it. She thinks the fluffy corgi tail is the best toy ever.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

Plus_Infinity posted:

This is the only costume I thought Orbit would tolerate.

He was actually pretty good about it! Little pumpkin :3:

Sorry we haven't posted in a while (previously londerwost and anachrodragon)! But I had to jump in and say I literally squealed when I saw this picture (which is not something a 30 something man should do). Looks almost like Josie!

If you have more pictures, I would love to see them. What a cutie!

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Now that Panda is fully vaccinated, she got to go to a dog park that is about 3-4 blocks from our place. She was super scared as we got closer so we hung out in front of the gate for a bit but as soon as she started smelling the other dogs coming in and out, she got comfortable enough to go in. She had a blast and got absolutely filthy.

After a few mins of her running around and playing with the other dogs, an older guy showed up with a Cardigan named Stan. He had a tail and all he cared about was chasing a tennis ball. I talked to the guy for awhile and we bullshitted about Corgis. It was a great couple of hours after work and she's been zonked out for the most part all evening. Now I know where to take her when she's bouncing off the walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

inkblottime posted:

Sorry we haven't posted in a while (previously londerwost and anachrodragon)! But I had to jump in and say I literally squealed when I saw this picture (which is not something a 30 something man should do). Looks almost like Josie!

If you have more pictures, I would love to see them. What a cutie!

Aww they do look similar! I'll try to take more pictures of him for you. We just got back from the beach and he is so conked out.

• Locked thread