Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Minecraft's variation on this is /kill. Instant suicide that sends a player to their spawn. More often than not this isn't their base but is the server spawn location.

It's pretty routine to troll non-goons on my server but when you've used up all of your tricks you remind them that the server is a pvp server and they can see their stats by typing /kill stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I think it may have been mentioned way earlier in this thread, but wasn't there a game where you could trick people into entering a console command that cleared all of their keybinds and the only way to fix it was to reinstall the game? Was it Counter-Strike?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Pakled posted:

I think it may have been mentioned way earlier in this thread, but wasn't there a game where you could trick people into entering a console command that cleared all of their keybinds and the only way to fix it was to reinstall the game? Was it Counter-Strike?

I think all Source and Goldsrc games have the "unbind all" command for the console, and yes, it does unbind every single thing for you. The only way to fix it is to tediously rebind every single key or reinstall it, yes.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Wasn't there even a server plugin for counter-strike that let the admin rebind everone's keys? It was patched out really quickly but I remember reading about people rebinding the shoot button to say "I'm a big gay baby" or making it so trying to jump kills you.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Alabaster White posted:

I think all Source and Goldsrc games have the "unbind all" command for the console, and yes, it does unbind every single thing for you. The only way to fix it is to tediously rebind every single key or reinstall it, yes.

Many server plugins in the Half Life era provided administrators the ability to rebind keys for people. Naturally, this terrible power was only used for good and pure purposes.

I generally played those games with my keybind .ini file marked read-only.

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish

My Precious Eggs posted:

Recently I've been enjoying some good old Warcraft III griefing. Please peruse some of the selected works from my portfolio.

You just didnt build anything in a random team game is that it?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

If you really want to see how stupid and horrible the average MMO player is, come on over to our Star Trek Online thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3517047. The goons in Star Trek Online run one of the most concentrated pubbie-griefing operations in any of our games.

We're currently playing ERP bingo, where you go around collecting screenshots of the worst bios you can find. Here's the bingo card we're using:

Please note that the contest has only been running one and a half days, and several goons have already filled the entire loving card.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Kessel posted:

If you really want to see how stupid and horrible the average MMO player is, come on over to our Star Trek Online thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3517047. The goons in Star Trek Online run one of the most concentrated pubbie-griefing operations in any of our games.

We're currently playing ERP bingo, where you go around collecting screenshots of the worst bios you can find. Here's the bingo card we're using:

Please note that the contest has only been running one and a half days, and several goons have already filled the entire loving card.

City of Heroes pretty much started the 'bio bingo' thing, and several parts of that card has crossover with some of the CoH cards. I have the last one saved.

I filled half this card in one trip, most of it off of three furries sitting in a corner.

Then again, if making fun of bad bios counts as 'griefing', I topped it earlier in the year when I got goon-favorite podcast The F Plus in on it.

Bonald Farndhardt
Apr 18, 2005
Ye it up

Frog 1.0 posted:

You just didnt build anything in a random team game is that it?

Not exactly, it's mostly building hundreds of towers at the choke points and dragging out games way longer than normal, which sends both teams into a frothing rage. See also highperching, except I don't play in nearly as competitive games as those guys.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Alabaster White posted:

Why not just go to keyboard under options (esc menu) and click Default?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It was easier to just go to the IGN or GameFAQs forums and complain loudly.

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe

Biowarfare posted:

How do you get to the esc menu when esc is unbound?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Biowarfare posted:

It also unbinds the esc key. :ssh:

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

It also unbinds the esc key. :ssh:

Alternatively, your ESC key (and every other key) has been rebound to say something about how much you love cocks and spin you wildly while spamming crouch.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

My Precious Eggs posted:

Not exactly, it's mostly building hundreds of towers at the choke points and dragging out games way longer than normal, which sends both teams into a frothing rage. See also highperching, except I don't play in nearly as competitive games as those guys.

There's also Mazing, which is a much rarer grief I only saw once with basically the same end effect as towering/highperching.

Basically, in a team game you make sure you have at least one night elf player on your team. Said night elf builds Moon Wells - they're the basic NE supply building they need to make more units, and they have an extra effect. Moon Wells generate magic whenever it's night and said magic can be spent to heal units; they can also be set to heal nearby stuff automatically. In an average game, you'll build maybe 9 of them (the bare minimum amount needed to get maximum supply).

The mazing NE player builds hundreds of them. They turn the entire map into a giant maze of moonwells, all set to heal automatically. Everyone else on their team builds armies as normal.

And while the healing from a couple moonwells is pretty small, the healing from hundreds of them is so high that it's almost impossible to overcome - and if the moonwells nearby are drained, you just move to another section of the maze.

The game dragged on two hours and ended basically the same way the Highperch game in the link did - we ran out of money pissing it all away on half-baked attacks and got rolled by their fresh army and level 10 heroes.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

Wasn't there even a server plugin for counter-strike that let the admin rebind everone's keys? It was patched out really quickly but I remember reading about people rebinding the shoot button to say "I'm a big gay baby" or making it so trying to jump kills you.

Not only could they remotely gently caress with your keybinds and cfg files, but they could remotely open your CD tray.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Oppenheimer posted:

How do you get to the esc menu when esc is unbound?

By opening the game?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Cleretic posted:

City of Heroes pretty much started the 'bio bingo' thing, and several parts of that card has crossover with some of the CoH cards. I have the last one saved.]

I filled half this card in one trip, most of it off of three furries sitting in a corner.

Then again, if making fun of bad bios counts as 'griefing', I topped it earlier in the year when I got goon-favorite podcast The F Plus in on it.

Yup, it turns out Cryptic games tend to attract a special sort!

We don't just collect bios in STO, we also fumigate major ERP hideouts and parties with fire extinguishers:

Collect the most indecipherable messages from people angry with us:

quote:

[Tell] Racer@xracerx337x: your still fat in i will never let you forget that in every zone chat in every pm in every instance. i will remind the world how fat your cow arse is.

quote:

[8:04] [Tell] Poison Ivey@WraithRaptor: Well you Pick a wrong person to Harrassed if we ever meet in real life i mighteve put you in the Hospital or a Morg
[8:07] [Tell] Poison Ivey@WraithRaptor: you gently caress you sound like a protitue who have sex with old men

And make literal penis aliens with which to invade said hideouts:

It's pretty nifty! We discovered the other day that we had collectively racked up so many terms of service violations that a GM now sits full-time in our chat channel watching for violations.

Yes, let me say that again. Perfect World Entertainment is paying one of its GMs to spend all his working hours in our chat channel to watch for terms of service violations, because we accrue more of those than the rest of the playerbase combined.

Kessel fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 16, 2012

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Kessel posted:

It's pretty nifty! We discovered the other day that we had collectively racked up so many terms of service violations that a GM now sits full-time in our chat channel watching for violations.

Yes, let me say that again. Perfect World Entertainment is paying one of its GMs to spend all his working hours in our chat channel to watch for terms of service violations, because we accrue more of those than the rest of the playerbase combined.

This is the best thing in the thread. I wonder how much that guy makes an hour.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Holy poo poo I'm cracking up at Eyh P'niss, the penis headed alien. Im stealing some variation of that name, it's too awesome not to.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Kessel posted:

So, wait, did STO ever actually become a good game? Because this poo poo makes me want to see if I can find my account info.

v: Ah, so it's like APB where reading the funny stories is the best part. A shame, it had potential.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Nov 16, 2012

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Rynoto posted:

So, wait, did STO ever actually become a good game? Because this poo poo makes me want to see if I can find my account info.

No. The new season just launched and we don't even care about its content. We just spend all our time loving with pubbies.

edit - well it has improved a little bit, there are things to do now I guess

edit -- I forgot this gem of a quote!

quote:

[12:08] B'Lana@lamotte303: and before I forget, I must still thank you and your troll friends and dent
[12:08] B'Lana@lamotte303: be there for my in here to have cleaned.
[12:08] B'Lana@lamotte303: because of you I lost two really important people
[12:09] B'Lana@lamotte303: mine also my wife is gone and will not come back because off you

Kessel fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Nov 16, 2012

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Kessel posted:

edit - well it has improved a little bit, there are things to do now I guess

Maybe Champions Online will eventually follow suit! That might be too hopeful, though.

EDIT: Also I don't really know what that quoted guy is saying there. I think he's trying to say that Starfleet Dental ruined his marriage and possibly other friendships/family relations, but those first two messages I feel might be important but I can't quite figure out the meanings of.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Nov 16, 2012

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012
Oh griefing - done lots of it with one of my close mates, particularly in Minecraft.

When he ran a server, one of our friends had a brother who was a bit on the stupid and annoying side, and consistently made total poo poo and accidentally broke things around him. He really was that stupid. Not to mention he was a bit of a dick.

So we decided to gently caress with him in amusing ways, seeing that we were both admins. My mate dug down to the bottom of the earth and built up a small tomb made of obsidian that only one man can fit in. He then put one block of lava in it that burns you alive and is forever sitting there. Once this was complete I set up macros on my keyboard for teleporting our friends brother to my mate - who just happened to be sitting in the obsidian tomb in God Mode waiting. Of course the kid could just respawn back at the start of the map, but I made sure that if it happened at the press of a button he just got flipped back to the tomb.

Once this was all set up, we waited for him to log on, and that's when it began. He called us names, yelled, hated on us etc until finally he just left the server out of pure rage. I think we ended up teleporting him down to the tomb for about an hour before he called it quits. The best part was he was really cocky about it all initially because you know, he could just respawn, but that was eventually foiled by my one button does all macro while I continued to build things as normal.

I've griefed in tonnes of games before though with my mate. We tend to do a lot of team up stuff and screw with people really hardcore. My mate is far more creative than I am though.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Kessel posted:

This GM is actually a goon :ssh:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
That is considerably more corporate espionage than I was expecting from the griefing thread.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
So what does this GM actually do instead?

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!

Dreggon posted:

This GM is actually a goon :ssh:

Was this GM originally a goon, did he join because he found goon antics so delightful, or did he join to keep a closer eye on the STO goons' shenanigans?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Dr_Amazing posted:

In particular I admined a couple TF2 servers which had an alternative to "gag" (which hides a player's textchat) which filtered everything they said into pre-set phrases like "I sure love [server name] and being a gigantic moron!"

The command was called "happy mode" or something similar because it was supposed to piss people off who were raging in chat to prevent everyone else from getting stressed out.

Cleretic posted:

Not to derail but I loved that episode, you did a great job of keeping up with the hosts and you had some awesome content. One of the best RFR winners.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

One of my favourite past-times is to go on Garry's Mod RP servers and actually roleplay. For some reason this enrages people like nothing other. I once had an admin threaten to ban me for "doing nothing" after changing my job to "Accountant" and setting up an accounting firm in a building :psyduck:

Recently I had a really good session of that... my roleplay persona this time would be a fascist mayor. The mayor job in DarkRP server is highly contested due to many people wanting the ability to set laws(despite the fact these people never set laws besides "guns other than pistols are illegal" which is the biggest no poo poo ever), which is the only ability mayors have. Often times a mayor will call a lockdown and be immediately demoted from angry people who hate having the least enforced law put down upon them.

After one of such times, I became mayor. My first law was to set up a rule: All who don't know our glorious City-State's national anthem would be sentenced to the death penalty. Immediately people started yelling at me for breaking the law, but I pointed out that we were in a city-state and that I set all the laws. Instead of arguing, they let me be.

So the only thing to do was to go on random checks to make sure people are still patriotic. I'd ask them what the national anthem was, and if they got it wrong I shot them to death on the spot. I did other things just so that to the many admins on the server I looked legit - if I saw someone punching props on the city I got them arrested for vandalism, for example.

After about an hour of this I realized I had basically killed several dozen people(on a server where RDM is punishable by anything up to a permaban, no less!) with multiple admins online without any sort of repercussion at all. They didn't even demote me.

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
Sometimes griefing without breaking the rules is the best griefing.

I found out in Blops 2 you can use this Black Hat PDA device to hack UAV's and enemy mines and sentries and whatnot, and also that you can hack enemy carepackages. However, hacking the enemy carepackage has a standard speed, that isn't affected by what is in the package (better killstreaks take longer to grab out of the box), so I can steal the thing before they can, and upon hacking it, the package becomes trapped and kills them when they get it.

That isn't really griefing, but it is neat. What's griefing is that you can do all that (minus the trapping) to your teammates. Meaning that you can steal the best killstreaks in the game from whatever poor bastard got the 1-in-100 drop before he even sees the meter get to 3 quarters. The best part is is that if I stole it normally by walking up and grabbing it by holding X, it would take longer than him, and he would get a "Share Package" bonus and some points, but the Black Hat doesn't give out bonuses.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

my pog boyfriend posted:

One of my favourite past-times is to go on Garry's Mod RP servers and actually roleplay. For some reason this enrages people like nothing other. I once had an admin threaten to ban me for "doing nothing" after changing my job to "Accountant" and setting up an accounting firm in a building :psyduck:

Recently I had a really good session of that... my roleplay persona this time would be a fascist mayor. The mayor job in DarkRP server is highly contested due to many people wanting the ability to set laws(despite the fact these people never set laws besides "guns other than pistols are illegal" which is the biggest no poo poo ever), which is the only ability mayors have. Often times a mayor will call a lockdown and be immediately demoted from angry people who hate having the least enforced law put down upon them.

After one of such times, I became mayor. My first law was to set up a rule: All who don't know our glorious City-State's national anthem would be sentenced to the death penalty. Immediately people started yelling at me for breaking the law, but I pointed out that we were in a city-state and that I set all the laws. Instead of arguing, they let me be.

So the only thing to do was to go on random checks to make sure people are still patriotic. I'd ask them what the national anthem was, and if they got it wrong I shot them to death on the spot. I did other things just so that to the many admins on the server I looked legit - if I saw someone punching props on the city I got them arrested for vandalism, for example.

After about an hour of this I realized I had basically killed several dozen people(on a server where RDM is punishable by anything up to a permaban, no less!) with multiple admins online without any sort of repercussion at all. They didn't even demote me.

So what was the national anthem?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

my pog boyfriend posted:

I have this sudden urge to try to set up a Paranoia RP server in gary's mod.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Dick Burglar posted:

So what was the national anthem?

"All Eyez on Me" by Tupac.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Kessel posted:

Perfect World Entertainment is paying one of its GMs to spend all his working hours in our chat channel to watch for terms of service violations, because we accrue more of those than the rest of the playerbase combined.

Goons are the real job creators.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

IrvingWashington posted:

Goons are the real job creators.

I posted this in another thread but I thought it deserved a spot here too.

When griefing goes bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuA5nPBTofU

:getin:

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

TheSpiritFox posted:

I posted this in another thread but I thought it deserved a spot here too.

When griefing goes bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuA5nPBTofU

:getin:

That's a pyxie frog. For an idea what their bite is like, watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1nIpf0t_9k

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
So an instant way to piss off some twerp in TF2 who is barking orders is to hoard the intelligence and then have engineers come around and protect you. To drive them up the wall, mimic their name and then start to bark orders yourself.

To piss them off even further, spam the L key to drop and pick it up repeatedly.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

After changing my RP job in Garry's Mod to "#1 boxer" I found a suitable target and began getting to work defending my championship belt. The target(an incredibly whiny gun dealer) purchased a gun and tried to shoot me, missing enough to literally run out of bullets, at which point he started running to a cop with me chasing him all of the way. Thinking fast, when the cop questioned me I claimed that he owed me 20 dollars. The cop turned on him, asking if it was true(he said no obviously) but I insisted that he was lying. The cop nearly arrested him.

After harassing him like this for about 30 minutes and making him buy about 7 guns he decided he had enough and called an admin, but not before shooting me to death. The admin teleported us both, I pointed out the fact that he shot me to death. The admin decided that the only "fair" judgement is to make him pay me the $20 that he owed me. At this point he was basically broke from buying all of the guns to fend me off, and the $20 dollars basically made him bankrupt and forced him to close off shop.

It was the longest, but most rewarding $20 virtual dollars I had ever earned.

pog boyfriend fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

my pog boyfriend posted:

After changing my RP job to "#1 boxer" I found a suitable target and began getting to work defending my championship belt. The target(an incredibly whiny gun dealer) purchased a gun and tried to shoot me, missing enough to literally run out of bullets, at which point he started running to a cop with me chasing him all of the way. Thinking fast, when the cop questioned me I claimed that he owed me 20 dollars. The cop turned on him, asking if it was true(he said no obviously) but I insisted that he was lying. The cop nearly arrested him.

After harassing him like this for about 30 minutes and making him buy about 7 guns he decided he had enough and called an admin, but not before shooting me to death. The admin teleported us both, I pointed out the fact that he shot me to death. The admin decided that the only "fair" judgement is to make him pay me the $20 that he owed me. At this point he was basically broke from buying all of the guns to fend me off, and the $20 dollars basically made him bankrupt and forced him to close off shop.

It was the longest, but most rewarding $20 virtual dollars I had ever earned.

This is the worst griefing story ever told. I had to look up your post history to realize you weren't talking about Second Life and when I realized what you were playing I somehow managed to lose even more respect for you as a human being than I already had.

Or maybe your post is a meta grief and you really are the master here. I'm not really sure at this point.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 1, 2012

• Locked thread