Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Yaaayyy! Finally got a hardtop. And I got some '02 headlights and nose to upgrade the looks on my '00. But, yeah, you almost have to suck dick to get a drat hardtop these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You have a very weird definition of "set up an RSS feed on the tri-country area craigslist", but then again... it is craigslist.

Mezmerized Machine
Dec 29, 2008
Will an NB suspension(shocks and springs) fit on an NA? A 2004 Mazdaspeed suspension set(silver blistens red springs) just showed up on craigslist with 36k miles for $350 and I'm thinking if it'll work, replacing my car's with them. I just hit 150k miles.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Mezmerized Machine posted:

Will an NB suspension(shocks and springs) fit on an NA? A 2004 Mazdaspeed suspension set(silver blistens red springs) just showed up on craigslist with 36k miles for $350 and I'm thinking if it'll work, replacing my car's with them. I just hit 150k miles.

Yes, I think you need the NB top hats though.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

saint gerald posted:

Even better. Much appreciated. I'll post some pics once it gets here.

I did one of these and a cheap rainrail kit. Took my sweet time doing it, but it honestly wasn't as bad as I had thought. Turned out looking really nice, too.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
So I've had a chance to think through my plans for my new (to me) Miata. Handling-wise, it's sorted, and the engine is strong, but it needs some cosmetic attention.

The good:

-- Kona/GC suspension, Star Specs, FM front sway bar
-- It's an R package, which with the aftermarket suspension doesn't mean much...except it has a torsen.
-- The engine. In great shape, as far as I can see. PO replaced just about everything except the clutch, which is the original as far as we can tell.
-- The interior. Considering it has nearly 160,000 on it, it's in excellent shape.

The bad:

It needs a top. $160 eBay special is on order and hopefully I'll be able to fit it next week.

Then there's this:

And this:

The plastics are pretty well faded and beat up. After much thought I'm going to try respraying them, and about $100 in paint and supplies are on their way to me right now. I'm going to start with the front bumper, take it off the car, and see what I can achieve with a spray gun. Maybe I'll make it better. Maybe not. One way to find out.

So then there's this:

And similar marks on the trunk lid, too. The car used to be striped, and when they came off they took some paint with them. I think the easiest thing to do is put the stripes back. Maybe something like this, I like the red pinstripes.

Last problem: trunk barely large enough for beer run. Not sure what to do about this. Possibly some sort of trailer.

And then? I'd like to get into some power mods. My objectives for this project are to end up with an awesome weekend car that I can autocross or take for the odd track day -- and to LEARN. I'm not very experienced with auto work, although I can change fluids, brakes, do basic maintenance etc. But I'd really like to wind up able to do poo poo like clutches, timing belts and so on. Miata parts are cheap enough that I don't need to worry too much about breaking anything expensive, and I have a daily driver already.

With all that in mind, I'm thinking to grab a Megasquirt kit, a set of RX7 injectors, and a wideband O2 sensor. That'll let me get my feet wet with tuning, and putting all that lot together looks like fun times. From there, if the stock engine starts to get boring, I can start looking at FI...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Do 2 autocrosses and apply for Mazdaspeed: parts at cost.

Mezmerized Machine
Dec 29, 2008

Phone posted:

What is this? I've never heard of it

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://www.mazdamotorsports.com/wcsstore/B2BDirect/Motorsports/membershipinfo.htm

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Phone posted:

I'm assuming these need to be SCCA/NASA events?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'm assuming these need to be SCCA/NASA events?

I don't think so. They accepted my club events from Canada.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Phone posted:

drat. Any idea how much they charge for those 460cc RX7 injectors?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

saint gerald posted:

Why would you even buy those if you were going to buy new injectors is my question.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

saint gerald posted:

Give me a Mazda P/N.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

destructo posted:

Why would you even buy those if you were going to buy new injectors is my question.

Purely based on this:

quote:

The common injector used with aftermarket EMS users are the Rx7 460cc and 550cc injectors. The 460s should be able to support around 250rwhp, the 550s around 300rwhp at stock fuel pressure levels.

(http://miataturbo.wikidot.com/fuel-injectors)

If there's a better/cheaper option that'll cover me into the 200ish area, I'm all ears.

quote:

Give me a Mazda P/N.

195500-2010

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

saint gerald posted:

Purely based on this:

(http://miataturbo.wikidot.com/fuel-injectors)

If there's a better/cheaper option that'll cover me into the 200ish area, I'm all ears.

195500-2010
They're old tech. You'd be better off running RX-8 injectors (425s) which are Bosch EV6 and are much better than pindle style RX-7 units. Otherwise step up to some ID725s (EV14).

destructo fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 16, 2012

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
N350-13-250
FUEL INJECTOR
$252.32
$151.36

Notes: W/O TURBO

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

destructo posted:

They're old tech. You'd be better off running RX-8 injectors (425s) which are Bosch EV6 and are much better than pindle style RX-7 units. Otherwise step up to some ID725s (EV14).

Guess that page is a tad outdated. Thanks for this. The part number looks to be 195500-4450...Phone, do you mind to look that one up for me? Assuming the above price is for a set, that seems to be a lot better than what I could do on Ebay or whatever.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

saint gerald posted:

Guess that page is a tad outdated. Thanks for this. The part number looks to be 195500-4450...Phone, do you mind to look that one up for me? Assuming the above price is for a set, that seems to be a lot better than what I could do on Ebay or whatever.
That price is for singles.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

saint gerald posted:

That's the Denso P/N.

There are two different part numbers for the RX-8, both are $128.18/injector (singular).

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Phone posted:

That's the Denso P/N.

There are two different part numbers for the RX-8, both are $128.18/injector (singular).

Ow. Yeah, that's not such an attractive deal. They seem to run comfortably under $50 a go on eBay.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Go with the old ones and save money. It's not like it's going to make a difference you'll likely notice.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

DreamOn13 posted:

Go with the old ones and save money. It's not like it's going to make a difference you'll likely notice.

If anything, the new ones seem to be cheaper.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
Totally doing this with my old EEE PC, too. Perfect way to run Megatune on the cheap.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
An Eee actually looks normal sized inside a Miata. :3:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Seat Safety Switch posted:

An Eee actually looks normal sized inside a Miata. :3:

So does the penis of a Miata owner.. or so I've heard.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

DreamOn13 posted:

I'm guessing you've never tuned idle with Megasquirt before. There is a huge difference between used/old and new injector technology. It's the difference between having rock solid idle at stoich or leaner versus needing to run 13.5:1. It's the comfort of knowing that at WOT that cylinder 4 isn't going lean because you know the individual flowrates of your injectors.

http://www.miataturbo.net/megasquirt-18/injector-regulator-recommendation-69189/

destructo fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 16, 2012

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Viggen posted:

So does the penis of a Miata owner.. or so I've heard.

It's not small. It's FUN SIZE (like the Miata).

Is Megasquirt II or III the way to go these days? (edit: DIYPNP seems like the pick.)

saint gerald fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 16, 2012

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

saint gerald posted:

So I've had a chance to think through my plans for my new (to me) Miata.

Last problem: trunk barely large enough for beer run. Not sure what to do about this. Possibly some sort of trailer.

Don't worry; i've got this one. It's an easy fix.

Replace the spare tyre with an AAA membership card and a can of fix-a-flat.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hell you don't even need AAA if you drive mostly in town, limp it to a parking lot and call a buddy. The only time I use a spare is for road trips.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Yeah, I think I'm gonna yank my spare. That rubber is probably 22 years old now. No one ever replaces a space saver spare tire, do they?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Pulled mine out first thing when I brought it home. M.net folks will buy it for $40-$50 on CL too.

saint gerald posted:

It's not small. It's FUN SIZE (like the Miata).

Is Megasquirt II or III the way to go these days? (edit: DIYPNP seems like the pick.)
If you plan on using AC, I'd pay the extra bucks for the MS3x. Having switchable idle maps for AC load is a nice thing. Otherwise the DIYPNP (MS2) is plenty. Still lots of good dev work going on.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

leica posted:

Hell you don't even need AAA if you drive mostly in town, limp it to a parking lot and call a buddy. The only time I use a spare is for road trips.

I've only had a puncture once. And that time I was able to limp home by topping up the affected tire with air from a mini compressor.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

leica posted:

See if your insurance offers road side assistance, I pay $2.10 a year. Also a can of fix-a-flat in the trunk if you are worried.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fix a flat is messy poo poo, I would only use that crap in an emergency, like last resort.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

NitroSpazzz posted:

See if your insurance offers road side assistance, I pay $2.10 a year. Also a can of fix-a-flat in the trunk if you are worried.

Ayup, I pay something like $6/6 mo for roadside for both my cars and motorcycle. Much cheaper than AAA

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
Every time I'm driving with the top down, and I pass/am passed by another Miata with its top down, theres a sorta nod... thing. You know how motorcycles do the little peace sign deal when they pass each other? Like that, but with Miatas. Does anyone else get this?

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Every time I'm driving with the top down, and I pass/am passed by another Miata with its top down, theres a sorta nod... thing. You know how motorcycles do the little peace sign deal when they pass each other? Like that, but with Miatas. Does anyone else get this?

Sure do.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Only mk1s sadly :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I nod and return pop headlight winks. How do you guys feel about bras on NA Miatas? I don't care for the way they look personally but I care even less for the mess of gaffer tape that is my current bumper cover. I was thinking OEM since they aren't huge and I can probably resell it when I find a decent bumper cover to replace my busted up one.