Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Hopefully I'll have it in the driveway tomorrow and I'll take pics :)

Sweeeeeeeeeeet.

You know there is that wreck MS6 around here. You could do a MS6 wagon conversion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Deal ain't gonna happen for now, waiting on an offer for my Vic and the guy that owns the wagon is farther away than I thought, so I'm not gonna go without cash in hand. Might not get this one, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up with a 6 wagon as I can't find anything better for my needs within in my budget.

http://tinyurl.com/akh49uj

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 15, 2012

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
Finally time for front brakes ..Just short of 115 K miles. My local Mazda store is crazy on prices ; $246 for front PADS ..Akebonos from rockauto were just under $80
Any leads on good OEM pricing ?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

leica posted:

Deal ain't gonna happen for now, waiting on an offer for my Vic and the guy that owns the wagon is farther away than I thought, so I'm not gonna go without cash in hand. Might not get this one, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up with a 6 wagon as I can't find anything better for my needs within in my budget.

You must be close, I was looking at that exact wagon and ad for the past 3 weeks but ended up getting a 94 BMW e34 touring instead. There was also an 87 Volvo 240 dl wagon with a 5 speed in Port Charlotte a week or so ago but it was sold before I found the ad.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

e: Like I said, it's filthy from road grime. White cars: looks dirty quickly, cleans up quickly.

Bonus:
Why I'm driving an MPS and not my old 2L:

Poor thing got sandwiched between a hilux and a GMC.

Phy fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Nov 17, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Gorgeous!

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I rarely see the white ones driving around. That looks so nice!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

flacoman954 posted:

Finally time for front brakes ..Just short of 115 K miles. My local Mazda store is crazy on prices ; $246 for front PADS ..Akebonos from rockauto were just under $80
Any leads on good OEM pricing ?

Goddamn, mine didn't go half that long and that was with the rotors warping twice in there. The OEM pads are spendy as gently caress and I don't have anything better for you on pricing on those, but I went with Hawk HPS - a great deal less expensive, and FAR less dusty than the OEM. You do give up a very small amount of initial bite, just enough to notice. Alternatively, I've heard that the Hawk HP+ (or whatever the step up from HPS is) is even grippier than the OEM pads for about the same dust level.

Also, yes, now about 500 miles in those mounts are still smoothing out more and more. The more they do, the more I like the car, since I wasn't expecting that much of an increase (I guess the culprit for me is the passenger mount) but even as they soften up I've noticed no change in how much better a job they do at holding the engine down.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
I drive 100 mi/day ,almost all highway,so this is typical for my cars. 29 MPG average also. Ordered the Akebono pads , hope the rotors aren't too far down; no pulsation . Did spark plugs again and went back to stock,made that little miss at idle go away.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

So I've been doing some looking and there's exactly 1 6 Wagon with a stick in a 300 mile radius of me while there's 28 MS6's in the same range. Who knew a 5speed Wagon variant would be the rarer model?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Well Mazda did give up making the wagon in stick after a while.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
How practical is doing an MS6 swap on one of those? I assume the engine is straightforward. Does the underbody have the appropriate clearance for the AWD driveshaft, etc?

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority
I already posted this in the PYOR thread, but I picked this up yesterday off craigslist for a friend.

'80 Mazda 626 5-speed. The thing is a loving time capsule that belongs in a museum. Always garaged and never seen rain. One of my friends is a huge Mazda nut and I bought it for him... he's going to have it shipped to St. Louis and put it on display inside his house.

It has 90k miles on it, but you would never know it.

toaster_pastry fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 19, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How practical is doing an MS6 swap on one of those? I assume the engine is straightforward. Does the underbody have the appropriate clearance for the AWD driveshaft, etc?

From what I gather it wouldn't take much work on the rear to do it. And there is a wrecked MS6 here locally...

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

toaster_pastry posted:

'80 Mazda 626 5-speed. The thing is a loving time capsule that belongs in a museum. Always garaged and never seen rain. One of my friends is a huge Mazda nut and I bought it for him... he's going to have it shipped to St. Louis and put it on display inside his house.

Where are the original wheels though? Aren't those Konig Rewinds? Not that I'm complaining, because they look really good on it. Also, that's RWD, isn't it... :getin:

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
Dropped the Akebonos on ; Initial bite is not as good as stock, might still be bedding in , I suspect. Funny thing ,there was about 2-3 mm of pad left!

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

flacoman954 posted:

Dropped the Akebonos on ; Initial bite is not as good as stock, might still be bedding in , I suspect. Funny thing ,there was about 2-3 mm of pad left!

I need to do pads soon in my MS3, but keep hearing that about almost all aftermarket pads. I would hate to lose that initial bite, I love the stock brakes, but the OEM pads are way too expensive. Any recommendations?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Hm, looks like the new 2013s have the option of the same touchscreen navi/pandora/HD radio/ipod control/track info etc system as the CX-5. No word if the unit is swappable into 2010-2012s. I'm really hoping so.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
If it is, I'm totally getting one.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

opengl128 posted:

I need to do pads soon in my MS3, but keep hearing that about almost all aftermarket pads. I would hate to lose that initial bite, I love the stock brakes, but the OEM pads are way too expensive. Any recommendations?

Hawk HP+ instead of HPS, supposedly.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

Cygni posted:

Hm, looks like the new 2013s have the option of the same touchscreen navi/pandora/HD radio/ipod control/track info etc system as the CX-5. No word if the unit is swappable into 2010-2012s. I'm really hoping so.

Man, I want that. Think you could call the dealership and ask and have them tell you?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I thought the Hawk pads were terrible?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I have the HPS pads and love them - there's a tiny bit less bite than the OEM, but not enough to actually notice in practice (if you really want to hit the brakes, they're still just as much there) and there's a shitload less dust.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I have the HPS pads and love them - there's a tiny bit less bite than the OEM, but not enough to actually notice in practice (if you really want to hit the brakes, they're still just as much there) and there's a shitload less dust.

Good to know. Just another to add to the buy pile.

I got my first Christmas gift today, a $500 gift card that has "Car Stuff" written in sharpie across the front. Hello Corksport Turboback Exhaust!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

hunter x az posted:

Man, I want that. Think you could call the dealership and ask and have them tell you?

Judging by past dealings with my local dealers, you will ask a salesman and they won't even believe it exists, until you take them back to their storage lot and show them it in some cars fresh off the truck. This seriously happened to me when I was asking about some stuff on the 2012s.

Theres some issues I can see right off the bat for pulling one of the touchscreens out. For example, the navi (at least in the CX-5) has a little SD card slot in a breakout box installed by the hood release. And I imagine the internet module probably has an antenna unit installed somewhere else in the car.

All that said, I'll be the first to try a swap into my 11+Bose as soon as I can get my hands on one.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Anyone have a recommendation for all-seasons for a Mazda 3 Sport? It's got the P205/50R17 88 tire size. It's for Ontario, so slush/snow are a consideration.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Get proper snow tires.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

IOwnCalculus posted:

HP+ have squealed like crazy on every car I've put them on. Never again will I do that. I'll grab a set of track pads and a set of street pads. Yes, they're decent pads that you can do track days with, but they're not a good street pad. They dust like crazy too.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

I guess I'll give em a whirl. Though I only need to do my rears right now, is it normal for them to wear out first? I have about 35K on my 08.5.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Seconding the HPS pads. I don't have any experience with them on a MS3 but they've been excellent on my Focus. Might not be the same on a heavier car but they did just fine in a couple of autocrosses and during a HPDE.

SiB
May 6, 2005
I'm looking into this new radio... I want to put it in my wife's 2010 3GX.

Edit: the price new will be astronomical of course.

SiB fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 3, 2012

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
My dad's first Miata, I slammed into the (closed) garage when I was 12. He followed it up by hitting a deer at 75mph, totaling it out. My mom's first MPV burned up in a garage fire. Her second skipped its timing, eating the engine. Her third (newer model) did the same, this engine replaced under warranty.

My dad then decided things were too quiet with the family of Mazdas, so he bounced a deer off the hood of his second Miata. It soared over him, landing on his trunk and caving it in; not declared a total loss.

I just drove this Speed 6 home from the dealer today.

Am I going to die?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 4, 2012

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Revvik posted:

My dad's first Miata, I slammed into the (closed) garage when I was 12. He followed it up by hitting a deer at 75mph, totaling it out. My mom's first MPV burned up in a garage fire. Her second skipped its timing, eating the engine. Her third (newer model) did the same, this engine replaced under warranty.

My dad then decided things were too quiet with the family of Mazdas, so he bounced a deer off the hood of his second Miata. It soared over him, landing on his trunk and caving it in; not declared a total loss.

Am I going to die?

Yes, but it'll be worth it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Totally. Welcome to the club!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Revvik posted:

Am I going to die?

Yes, for not timg-ing your pics t:mad:

Like that color, especially since as far as I know they never made the 6 in the Correct color (being either True Red or Velocity Red, take your pick)

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009

opengl128 posted:

Quick update : The Akebono pads have gotten to about 90% of the initial bite and get even grabbier as you get a little heat into them. The OE pads have a EH hardness rating , the Akebonos are GG.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

flacoman954 posted:

the Akebonos are GG.

I love Akes.. they're so much better than stock.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Revvik posted:

Am I going to die?

Am I reading that sticker correct at $12699?
If so wow, MS6s are getting down into a price range I can handle used wise.
The last time I looked they were up near $20,000.

Love the color! I think you will love it.

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 5, 2012

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
It ended up being $13k out the door, with 70k on the odometer. And yeah, this is really the best color. I'm 27 and needed a cosigner, so my dad offered with the catch that he had final say on what I bought. He said the only problem with this car is that he doesn't own it.

He was partly right. The driver's side power window controls don't seem to work on any of the passenger windows, the paint is not even close to being perfect, and I have a hard time believing the stock exhaust is supposed to sound this... intimidating. But I was grinning ear to ear the entire 2 hour drive home.

I'm going to give it six months until I start putting money into modification - plenty of time to learn about everything I would want to do with it.

Edit: I was cross-shopping WRXs, Infiniti G35s, and some BMWs when someone reminded me that Mazda made more than Miatas. I really only regret not getting to test the MS3.

Revvik fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
Speed 6 is a great car. Welcome.

I still prefer the speed3, but as a family man, maybe the 6 would have been a better option. haha