Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I've seen a lot worse for the same money, so you're not dumb. At least you have all the features I mentioned above, and if the chassis is clean you can always sell it for roughly the same price. I wouldn't feel too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

rscott posted:

Paid $1350 so if you wanna call me dumb you're probably right.

I wouldn't feel too bad about it if the car doesn't cause you too many problems and you get as much enjoyment out of it as one can get out of a $1350 car. I paid just under $2000 for my 92 525i which was a great deal and then went and payed $3500 for my 95 530i which was too much but still a little bit under Blue Book.

The important thing is that I enjoy my car even if I didn't walk away with an amazing deal on it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Now I too can say "I drive a BMW"

A 1994 525i Touring, 57k miles, a binder of service history, all for 4k. Sun (moon?) roof is the only thing that doesn't work, and it has a few minor chips and dings, and needs a nice detailing but otherwise it's in great shape.

I bought it this morning and the guy selling it said he was surprised at the response he got. He didn't know how rabid wagon people can be, especially with one with so little miles. Then when I was out today a guy in a Volvo wagon said
"Hey! Is that a 5 series wagon? Looks great man!"

:frogc00l:

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

KakerMix posted:

A 1994 525i Touring, 57k miles, a binder of service history, all for 4k. Sun (moon?) roof is the only thing that doesn't work, and it has a few minor chips and dings, and needs a nice detailing but otherwise it's in great shape.

I bought it this morning and the guy selling it said he was surprised at the response he got. He didn't know how rabid wagon people can be, especially with one with so little miles. Then when I was out today a guy in a Volvo wagon said
"Hey! Is that a 5 series wagon? Looks great man!"

That looks great and I love the color. I'd get some different wheels but that's just me. I had the same ones on my first E34 and they actually look ok if you take the plastic center caps off.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Lawen posted:

Yeah, there definitely should be but they're missing. I realized though that the spikey screw bits were just velcroed to the mats and pulled them off so they don't gently caress up the floorboard carpet any more than they already have. I did find the part number for the anchors on another forum though, guess I'll see how much the dealer charges to install them and if it's insanely expensive just order the part and DIY it.

On another note, I've been kicking around the idea of finding an e30 M3 as a project/track day car. Is $18k+ pretty normal for one that runs? I haven't seen any less than that and drat that's a lot of shekels for a car old enough to buy beer that only cost ~$50k brand new.

I'm no expert, but you can certainly get a lot more car than an E30 with that kind of cash. E30s are cool and special, but $18 large is quite a lot of cash for a 20+ year old track car. In my area, decent E36 M3s go for less than that.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
E30 M3? Check it dude.

And you can find a decent E36 M for half that.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

KakerMix posted:

More pics more pics more pics. I missed out on a calypso e34 touring rolling shell last week, which is literally my favourite BMW colour on my favourite BMW wagon. They will never top the e34 touring for BMW wagons.

juche mane posted:

E30 M3? Check it dude.

And you can find a decent E36 M for half that.

I've yet to hear an argument against the NA spec e36 M3 for a track car that actually holds water. It's the only m3 to share most of it's parts with the regular 3er (very little M-tax), it can be had for cheap (as low as ~4-6k for a high mileage, but not pretty car) and has an absolutely gigantic aftermarket. On top of that it drives VERY well out of the box with refreshed suspension, and runs a not too expensive 17" tire size. There's a reason you see so many e36 track cars.

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

I have a friend that has a 2000 M5 that he's letting me drive for a few days before deciding whether or not I want to buy it.

I want to buy it. Now I understand why people lust after these cars. Hoooooly cow.

Wow.

power
Nov 4, 2009

CornHolio posted:

I have a couple of weird problems with my E39 (2000 540i/6).

First, only when it's cold out, the airbag light stays on. I have the Peake SRS scanner but haven't read it. The light doesn't stay on when the interior is warmed. Should I be concerned?

Second, and this only happened once, over the weekend: I was making a left-hand turn, slow speed (in a neighborhood), with my signal. I think maybe while I was turning the wheel I hit the stalk just as it was returning to 'no-signalling' land. Suddenly I had no turn signals, but the hazards were on. The hazard button didn't work; in fact, the turn signal indicators on the dash weren't even lighting up. But my four-way flashers were on anyway, and I had to drive several miles like that. Turning the car off didn't do anything, in fact they still flashed when the car was off.

After about five minutes it fixed itself.

What the gently caress?

The airbag stuff, I have no idea. As for the turn signal issue, I had the same thing happen to me once and had no idea what was going on. I was able to turn the hazards off but the turn signals didn't work for about 20 minutes and then magically started functioning again. I tend to not completely click the turn signal to use the limit switch when I pass on the highway I figured this might have had something to do with it.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Thanks for the advice dudes, I'll take another look at the e36 and/or troll CL and autotrader for a more reasonable e30 price. I definitely don't have $15k+ to spend on a project car or I'd be looking into a M Coupe but if I could find a high mileage, cosmetically ugly 30/36 for 8-10k, I may be able to swing it.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

You should be able to find E36 M3s in decent shape all day long for that much money.

Super Camper
Jan 22, 2012
Guys, the high beams on my e90 are uneven but the low beams are fine. How the hell do i fix that? Theres no adjustment knob for just the high beams.

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment
Picking up an '07 335i coupe tomorrow afternoon. Will post pics in the near future. :getin:

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007
Is a 1995 530i a decent car? I'm looking at one locally for $2000. It looks rad. It's dark blue, lowered over some 17" BBS looking wheels. What I gather is that it doesn't get gas mileage like a 525i, but isn't as quick as a 540i. Is that about right?

How is reliability?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
$2000 is probably a good price if its in good condition. The problem is they basically get the same gas mileage as a 540i but they're down about 70HP.

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007

rscott posted:

$2000 is probably a good price if its in good condition. The problem is they basically get the same gas mileage as a 540i but they're down about 70HP.

Any problem areas I should look for?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

Any problem areas I should look for?

*Suspension

*Cooling system-esp. the coolant reservoir, the one on the V8 cars tends to crack. If it looks super discolored, that's a big warning sign.

*Door brakes-they come unmounted and start to rip the sheet metal

*Tail light bulb sockets-they start to melt, the bulb holders won't screw in right and your tail lights will keep going out

*Washer fluid reservoir-leaks

This is just a list off the top of my head of what I've experienced. I'm not complaining though, I love my car. As long as you know how to work on cars and there's a few e34s at your local pick-n-pull, it's really no big deal.

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 15, 2012

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
One of my buddies was looking for an E46 M3 and sent me this:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=955954

I thought it was a pretty clean car, but I almost spit my coffee everywhere when I saw the asking price (35k). Sweet Jesus. I haven't kept up with E46 M3 prices, but is this car really that rare nowadays or is this guy smoking the doobie?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

He's the stereotypical 'enthusiast' who think his car is worth way more than it is because it has 'rare' options and is so special in his eyes.

Granted it is a 2005 with very low miles and seemingly in excellent condition, but 35k is pretty drat optimistic.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
It's in great shape with some rare colors but he'll get $26k-$28k for it and be happy I am guessing. If he was the original owner (he's #2) it would justify a bit higher price as well.

There are much cheaper examples out there with 5+ owners but you never know what a string of neckbearded goons have done to the poor things.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 15, 2012

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

quote:

- Dr. Colorchip rockchip repair kit. ~$90
- Gliptone leather treatment ~$20

Yeah, this doesn't scream "unbearable douchebag" or anything...

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

sean10mm posted:

Yeah, this doesn't scream "unbearable douchebag" or anything...

..what's wrong with wanting your car to look nice? That it's mentioned in the sale price is a bit douchey, but if you don't mark the nickle-and-dime stuff, you often overlook just how much you've waisted spent. :confused:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
People see enthusiast auto's retarded prices and think they can get that.

http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?form_request=56&action=results&showres=1&1268_0=20&selLevel_1268B0D=1&selLevel_1268B1D=20&1574_0=1

Probably the only place in north america that is listing a 60k e36 m3 for 19000 dollars.

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment
Just out of curiosity, what size is the (pre-iDrive) E92's radio slot? I've seen a few sites mention that it's double DIN, but I'd like to confirm before I order anything.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
Hello Bimmer goons, I was cleaning my closet recently and came across some E36 parts that I still have kicking around. I have them listed over on bf.com, but if any goon needs them I can cut you a better deal than I have listed in that thread.

-Non-Vanos ICV + Hoses (new)
-1x 18lb green top (rebuilt, <10miles of use)
-K&N Filter (used, good condition)

If anyone is interested I could make an SA-Mart thread or you could contact me on bf.c, just mention SA.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Viggen posted:

That it's mentioned in the sale price is a bit douchey

That's what I was talking about, I don't have an irrational hatred of leather conditioner or anything.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That's a actual brand-new non-vanos m50 icv? Dibs.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Crustashio posted:

People see enthusiast auto's retarded prices and think they can get that.

http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?form_request=56&action=results&showres=1&1268_0=20&selLevel_1268B0D=1&selLevel_1268B1D=20&1574_0=1

Probably the only place in north america that is listing a 60k e36 m3 for 19000 dollars.

I love that place. I routinely check their inventory and lust over the images. But they're so overpriced it's hilarious.

Except for this. :fap:

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

CornHolio posted:

I love that place. I routinely check their inventory and lust over the images. But they're so overpriced it's hilarious.

Except for this. :fap:

$28,000 and it doesn't even have the stock radio? :colbert:

(It's a really nice car and I want it bad.)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Crustashio posted:

More pics more pics more pics. I missed out on a calypso e34 touring rolling shell last week, which is literally my favourite BMW colour on my favourite BMW wagon. They will never top the e34 touring for BMW wagons.

I spent all day detailing and ripping off old window tinting ~just for you~, and boy does it look pretty dang nice.

And if you do have some tinting you need to get off a window this method worked amazingly well. I even got the rear driver's side window off in one whole sheet.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 18, 2012

power
Nov 4, 2009
Well, I think I'm finally at wits end with the e39 540i. Since purchase in May I've had to do the following:
-Thermostat
-Bosch ABS/DSC unit
-2 speed sensors
-all 4 sway bar end links (not such a big deal)
-rear wheel carrier ball joints, one of them twice due to dud febi replacement.
-2x integral links
-Valve cover gaskets (after only 35000 kms on last set)
-Driveshaft CSB
-Guibo
-Complete spash guard/undertray
-RR Hub

Very shortly before I purchased it the:
-Fan clutch and fan
-water pump / drive belt
-VCG's
-Thrust arms
-Battery
-Display pixels
-several other things I'm forgetting
were replaced.

Today after replacing the Guibo and CSB, after about 15 kms of driving the CSB clunked and started to squeak. Then suddenly went away. I suspected it might have been the shaft turning in the bearing due to some PB blaster used to provide extra lubrication when seating the new CSB onto the shaft which would explain it going away -- but despite painstaking care taken during the install I fear something has gone wrong. Immediately following that test run of the CSB the battery light came on, and 10 minutes of diagnosis later realized the alternator has poo poo the bed. Between chewing rears, and one thing after another breaking I think I might just part with it as much as it pains me.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
I have trouble getting into first and second gear (but mostly first) on my E36 M3 sometimes. It's like the lever is jammed and I can move it left, but not forwards or backwards into first or second. I don't have a very good understanding of transmissions, but I have a theory as to what is going on.

Most of the time when I have issues, it is when I am coming home from work. My parking space at work is on a slight downward incline, it the front of the car is lower. I park in first gear usually. The other day, I was parked on a much larger incline and noticed that my parking brake wasn't working very well.

Is it possible that the combination of parking on an incline and the weak hand brake is putting some kind of stress on the transmission that is making it difficult to shift into first? I parked a couple days last week with the transmission in reverse and everything felt fine.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

hedge posted:

I have trouble getting into first and second gear (but mostly first) on my E36 M3 sometimes. It's like the lever is jammed and I can move it left, but not forwards or backwards into first or second. I don't have a very good understanding of transmissions, but I have a theory as to what is going on.

Most of the time when I have issues, it is when I am coming home from work. My parking space at work is on a slight downward incline, it the front of the car is lower. I park in first gear usually. The other day, I was parked on a much larger incline and noticed that my parking brake wasn't working very well.

Is it possible that the combination of parking on an incline and the weak hand brake is putting some kind of stress on the transmission that is making it difficult to shift into first? I parked a couple days last week with the transmission in reverse and everything felt fine.

Motor and/or transmission mounts.

Although gearbox oil can help with some niggling shifter issues as well.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Either that, or shifter detent pins. There are a lot of 328s/M3s that never had the fix done. Is your transmission hard to get into reverse/5th sometimes, and does it ever "hang"? in the 5th gate? Both my 328 and m3 exhibit lovely detent pins, but in different ways.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 18, 2012

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I saw a five-door 128i by my place in san francisco last night. What the heck?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I saw a five-door 128i by my place in san francisco last night. What the heck?

Not this? http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/vehicles/2013/x1/x1explore.aspx

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

power posted:

Well, I think I'm finally at wits end with the e39 540i. Since purchase in May I've had to do the following:
-Thermostat
-Bosch ABS/DSC unit
-2 speed sensors
-all 4 sway bar end links (not such a big deal)
-rear wheel carrier ball joints, one of them twice due to dud febi replacement.
-2x integral links
-Driveshaft CSB
-Guibo
-Complete spash guard/undertray
-RR Hub

-Fan clutch and fan
-water pump / drive belt
-VCG's
-Thrust arms
-Battery
-Display pixels
-several other things I'm forgetting
were replaced.

Today after replacing the Guibo and CSB, after about 15 kms of driving the CSB clunked and started to squeak. Then suddenly went away. I suspected it might have been the shaft turning in the bearing due to some PB blaster used to provide extra lubrication when seating the new CSB onto the shaft which would explain it going away -- but despite painstaking care taken during the install I fear something has gone wrong. Immediately following that test run of the CSB the battery light came on, and 10 minutes of diagnosis later realized the alternator has poo poo the bed. Between chewing rears, and one thing after another breaking I think I might just part with it as much as it pains me.

if you live in the midwest, I may be interested. I think you just got a car that had a lot of poo poo that needed to be done the PO decided to put off. Pretty loving common on these cars.

Edit: I should add that pretty much all E39s chew rear tires. Its the way the suspension is set up. BMW knows it, and there is not a whole lot that can be done.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 18, 2012

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

KakerMix posted:

An awesome e34 touring.

That is beautiful.

revmoo posted:

That's a actual brand-new non-vanos m50 icv? Dibs.

Yes, brand new as are the hoses. I've been meaning to make an SA-Mart thread to list some electronics/DVDs/games we can piggyback off once it's made (probably tonight).

Doctor Grape Ape fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 18, 2012

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?

power posted:

Since purchase in May I've had to do the following:

-VCG's

Did the oil separator valve ever get replaced? I remember reading if its failing it will greatly shorten the vcgs lifespan. Sorry to hear about all your troubles, they're heavy, thirsty, complicated, expensive cars. Do you at least still have fun driving it? That's the thing that always gets me through the repairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power
Nov 4, 2009

Deceptor101 posted:

Did the oil separator valve ever get replaced? I remember reading if its failing it will greatly shorten the vcgs lifespan. Sorry to hear about all your troubles, they're heavy, thirsty, complicated, expensive cars. Do you at least still have fun driving it? That's the thing that always gets me through the repairs.

They did long ago to my knowledge - and there was no evidence other than VCGs of any trouble with them.

Also BrokenKnckles

quote:

if you live in the midwest, I may be interested. I think you just got a car that had a lot of poo poo that needed to be done the PO decided to put off. Pretty loving common on these cars.

Edit: I should add that pretty much all E39s chew rear tires. Its the way the suspension is set up. BMW knows it, and there is not a whole lot that can be done.

I'm unfortunately nowhere near there, I'm on the east coast of Canada. It was an Ohio car before so I did escape a lot of rust that way. The PO was a good friend of mine who works on the car for near slavery rates too, and he put a lot into it as well before I bought it. I think you're right that 99% of the stuff is probably good for a long time now and unfortunate to me the next owner may have a very reliable 540i for a 250000km car. As for the rear tires, I was well aware what I was getting into there. I drove the car all summer to and from a work contract 700KM's away twice a week. This resulted in almost 40000KMS of mileage since May - and 3 sets of rears if you include the half worn set that came on it. Additionally the wheel carrier ball joints being worn or completely hosed exacerbates the wear issue too.

I can't really take the risk on it any more as I'm going back to school and won't have the kind of money sitting around required to drive it. It was a blast to drive, and I'll most likely be getting a (newer) BMW once I finish up this degree. For now I've still got a 2008 civic that upon my last inspection under the car, isn't going to cost me a cent any time soon. Going to try to find somewhere that will rebuild that alternator cheap and throw it on the market. I've got a set of 17" style 5's that came with it that I may sell separately once I clean them up and if I decide to I'll post them here.