Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

beergod posted:

Sold out everywhere it seems like. Anyone have luck at an unusual place? Going to head home I think.

Maybe try H.H.Gregg? They hooked me up during the TouchPad fire sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Bland posted:

So are Wii U games not getting their own threads?

People probably will make threads once NEW SYSTEM BONANZA levels out

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
So I got my WiiU, I updated it, and when I clicked "Create New User" it just went to a white screen with the WiiU logo on the bottom right corner (on both TV and gamepad, and it's been like that for nearly 10 minutes.

I am worried what should i do? :ohdear:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zenintrude posted:

New games will come out on this system, yes.

Thanks rear end in a top hat.

Let me rephrase: With new games coming out, should I wait for the Wii U version or just pick up an Xbox copy ? Are the Wii U games coming out taking advantage of the new systems rendering capabilities ? The Xbox's 720p rendering looks lovely on my 106" screen, I'm wondering if games will be internally rendered at 1080p instead of upscaled like the Xbox.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

jonathan posted:

Let me rephrase: With new games coming out, should I wait for the Wii U version or just pick up an Xbox copy ? Are the Wii U games coming out taking advantage of the new systems rendering capabilities ? The Xbox's 720p rendering looks lovely on my 106" screen, I'm wondering if games will be internally rendered at 1080p instead of upscaled like the Xbox.

You really might as well get your games for the more powerful system with the most system-doodads. Unless youre gonna be playing with friends online that dont have Wii Us or something

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

jonathan posted:

Well ask a stupid question... ;)

Wii U will be rendering (most) games natively at 1080p... AC3 is a good example of what can be done with the system when not shoddily ported over.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

jonathan posted:

Well I don't know about any of that but Wii U games are being sold for quite a bit more than their counterparts on other consoles, so there's that.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

Seriously what the gently caress should I do the screen is just stuck there. :( :(

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Is this system update taking forever for anyone else? Trying to determine if my network is slow or if the servers are being slammed.

I am at 10% after five minutes.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Waffleopolis posted:

Seriously what the gently caress should I do the screen is just stuck there. :( :(

Restart the system?

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

dongsweep posted:

Also, what is the cheapest people have found Wii-motes with Motion Plus for new? I only have the old Wii-motes so looks like I'll need to purchase some but do not want to get screwed on the price if they are commonly on sale.

$25 at toys-r-us, the Flingsmash bundle has a motion plus controller. Going to buy a 4th so I have 4 for mario broz

Fatal fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 18, 2012

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
There was an AC3 update, added uplay stuff to the game and possibly more?

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Utnayan posted:

Is this system update taking forever for anyone else? Trying to determine if my network is slow or if the servers are being slammed.

People have said 1+ hour for updates. If you don't start the update it will just download in the background and prompt you when it's finished. Not sure if you can do this now that you've already started :(

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Utnayan posted:

Initial reports pegged it at about an hour so that seems about right to me.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I hope that the inevitable patch to fix the OS loading times isn't gigabytes in size like the first patch was.

I haven't had problems setting up my ID, browsing miiverse, using the shop.

I will say two things about the shop that annoy me, one minor and be major:
- someone said there were Rayman/ZombiU demos and there aren't
- you cant just pay exact amount. To buy NSMBU I had to first add $100 in funds (YUP). I guess I'll just spend the rest on indie games or w/e. But you should be allowed to just pay the exact amount instead of having to pay an additional $30.

In retrospect I could have probably just added $20 at a time or whatever, but you end up with spillover no matter what. It also adds sales tax, do be aware of that.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 18, 2012

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~

Fatal posted:

$25 at toys-r-us, the Flingsmash bundle has a motion plus controller. Going to buy a 4th so I have 4 for mario broz

Thanks, that is a lot cheaper than the 45 at Amazon.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The animation for moving data over to the Wii U. :3:

Any word if you can move a second Wii over? I'm worry if I try moving the other Wii with my four Club Nintendo freebie games and my unmovable Last Story save, it will destroy everything I had downloaded from the original.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Ok good. Thanks guys. At least I'm not alone in my misery. Lol

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Quest For Glory II posted:

- you cant just pay exact amount. To buy NSMBU I had to first add $100 in funds (YUP). I guess I'll just spend the rest on indie games or w/e. But you should be allowed to just pay the exact amount instead of having to pay an additional $30.

In retrospect I could have probably just added $20 at a time or whatever, but you end up with spillover no matter what.

I just bought NSMBU and it gave me the option to use exact funds for it. It had a button that said something like "pay the remainder with your CC" and the remainder was the full price

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hmmm, I didn't see that option at all. I'll check the next time I grab something (nano assault?).

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

I will say two things about the shop that annoy me, one minor and be major:
- someone said there were Rayman/ZombiU demos and there aren't

In retrospect I could have probably just added $20 at a time or whatever, but you end up with spillover no matter what.
This is not unlike the entire profit behind gift cards. Generally, most people don't end up spending all the money on a gift card, and that extra money is almost purely profit. I'm sure there's tons of people out there who have paid money for shopping points, and still have like $3 or $4 worth sitting around that may never get used. It's a tiny bit of profit, but it's still there and adds onto the profit of just simply selling the merchandise.

I really hope the new VC has GameCube games, because I've been dying to play Paper Mario 2 for years, but have terrible luck since every copy I buy seems to be damaged.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

There's no VC yet. If its anything like the 3DS, they'll add one new VC title every two years.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

I haven't had problems setting up my ID, browsing miiverse, using the shop.

Man, everytime I try to see the miiverse I get an error :( 121-1500. Miiverse system currently experiencing an error.

Super frustrating.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

g0lbez posted:

I just bought NSMBU and it gave me the option to use exact funds for it. It had a button that said something like "pay the remainder with your CC" and the remainder was the full price

Both Wii U and 3DS have this option.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

Oh thank god I was able to restart my system and it was working as intended.

Funny thing, apparently you can't do a hard shutdown from the console by holding the power button. You literally have to disconnect the power source to do so.

eig
Oct 16, 2008

I tried checking out Target today and we ran in the store, went to the wii display and were like SCORE cause we saw white boxes and blue boxes. And then I realized after standing in line for a second that they were actually just regular Wiis... :-( I asked the guy and they only had enough for pre-orders and they have no idea when they get more shipments. Maybe I should have done a pre-order oops.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
And finally it works. Maybe it's just a bit spotty I guess.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
The Giant Bomb stream should be starting any minute now at http://www.giantbomb.com/chat/

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Hooray, I was able to move all my old games to the Wii U from my previously homebrew Wii. Dunno why Lost Winds doesn't move over, but eh, I never honestly liked the game. Also don't get why Donkey Kong Country 1 - 3 got removed this week, as I never bought 1 and 3.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:

Crowbear posted:

The Giant Bomb stream should be starting any minute now at http://www.giantbomb.com/chat/

Oh god I think their site is getting hit so hard it's loading SO SLOW.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

At Gamestop. Just opened and theres a sizable line. Plus people have bags of games to trade in in front of me :smith: gonna take forever

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Bombadilillo posted:

At Gamestop. Just opened and theres a sizable line. Plus people have bags of games to trade in in front of me :smith: gonna take forever

Hahahahaha "I have this trashbag full of old games from various systems and 3 chickens to barter for WiiU." Gamestop is such hell.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

If you can't manage to purchase one today, just wait two days and you will be able to walk in and get one anywhere once the scalpers return theirs.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Stealthed Zombie posted:

Oh god I think their site is getting hit so hard it's loading SO SLOW.

Maybe they're operating on Wii U update speed.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
This thing is finally updating instead of downloading. I feel like I did when I won dark souls.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

So in ZombiU's multiplayer, giantbomb is showing one player using the pro controller and the other using the tablet controller. Can the survivor player use remote/nunchuck instead of the pro controller?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

And got it! 3 cashiers made for quick work

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Gutcruncher posted:

So in ZombiU's multiplayer, giantbomb is showing one player using the pro controller and the other using the tablet controller. Can the survivor player use remote/nunchuck instead of the pro controller?

Yeah, according to the manual those are the three options. Not sure how responsive it is, i'm hoping for MOH:H2 or Prime 3 style smoothness.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Nintendo's Miiverse must be getting seriously bogged down right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm standing in gamestop right now trying to decide if I want AC3. Halp :(

• Locked thread