Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Pierzak posted:

That's what I thought, fortunately I have both but I hate to airbrush indoors and get paint mist everywhere. What do I need to do it safely, apart from a respirator? I've seen people use airbrush boxes, are they simply boxes with an air filter+fan in the back, or something more (what)?

I have a solution to airbrushing indoors, its cheap and awesome, I got one a few months back and now use my Airbrush much, much more often. The hose is optional (included) but works well to funnel the fumes out the window.

$70

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZH7RSM/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

You can find the same thing under different brands for around the same price as well. Just search for "airbrush spray booth".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Pierzak posted:

Also: what do you recommend for priming with ~0 C temperature outside? Brush-on is out of the question, I'm poo poo at it.

Cheapest solution: set up your model to be sprayed--mount it to something easy to grab and maneuver with one hand. Get your primer in hand, shake it really, really, really well, and quickly go outside. Spray your model as best you can as quickly as you can while counting to 40. Once you hit 40, even if you're not done, run back inside and let the primer dry out fully. Repeat as needed.

I've spray-primed this way in cold weather several times, with absolutely no loss of primer quality. The idea is to make sure the can stays warm at all times: if you can do that, you're golden.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Long time listener first time poster.

TLDR background: I've been getting back into painting miniatures recently after about a 20 year hiatus. In the rise of nerdwave in the late 00's it came up that I played alot of RPGs in my youth and so I was convinced to GM for a group of the curious and nostalgic. We picked a fantasy game whose combat leans heavily towards tabletop minis and so I quickly found myself wanting for a robust array of miniatures of standard baddies or at least proxies. Needing a beater set of table-ready miniatures and not wanting to break the bank, I decided that the most cost effective way to stock up would be to buy a copy of 1st edition "Descent" off eBay and do a quick low-effort paint job with inexpensive craft paints. At the time (long before the Reaper kickstarter) this was going to be far cheaper than other options at a final cost-per-painted-mini of about $1.50 including some nice big-bads.

And so I began. The first few works were monstrosities of which we shall not speak. But even as I relearned the old techniques, I found the cheap pigments and mediums of the craft paints much harder to work with than the Citadel stuff that I had once worked with. Paints flowed poorly and dried quickly. Washes came out streaky ...

My brush skill improved and I revised my technique to use more layers of thinner wash with minimal highlighting ...

And finally I started putting a bit more effort into details. This demon is my latest finished work ...

and I've got more in the pipeline ...

Miniatures: from "Descent: Journeys in the Dark". A wide variety and nice enough sculpts for my purposes. I only did minimal cleanup of flash on most of the minis, which I am now somewhat regretful of.

Brushes: mostly a cheap no-name #2 with a cheap no-name #0 for detail

Primer: 1-2 coats Liquitex acrylic gesso. It does not demolish detail as much as one might think, and provides that excellent gesso tooth.

Paints: Folk Art craft paints. Working with these has been a lesson in pigment and medium quality. Poor coverage means bright colors must always be painted over white and shaded with multiple thin washes. Poor flow means just about everything should be done with thinned paints, but thinned craft paints can easily end up looking streaky. Pigment quality can easily leave washes, drybrushing or other blending attempts looking chalky.

Sealer: 2 coats Liquitex matte varnish. It has a bit of gloss to it and is difficult to apply thinly, but the sturdy plastic finish is perfect for a beater set of minis that will see heavy tabletop use by adult children.

Epilogue: And of course, what started as a low-cost, low-effort endeavor to create a beater set of minis got me all bitten by the painting bug again. I went in on the Reaper kickstarter, got some real brushes and have a Vallejo gamecolor suitcase on order. I'm wondering just how much easier the next batch will be after wrangling with the craft paints.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

signalnoise posted:

Bad highlighting and a little sloppy paint aside, which I'll fix, I'm really proud of this lil guy! Finally assembling it after all that painting was totally satisfying.

Not so proud of my bank statement since a week ago.

This owns.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Yep. The lines could use some touching up, but the uneven surface is actually awesome, reminds me of an old warship repainted dozens of times.

What exactly is that model? Looks Warmachine-y except good.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Thanks!! :)

Pierzak posted:

Yep. The lines could use some touching up, but the uneven surface is actually awesome, reminds me of an old warship repainted dozens of times.

What exactly is that model? Looks Warmachine-y except good.

It's a Ghordson Driller from Warmachine mercs faction

Furnace highlight update!! I'm trying to make these guys look like they're just itching to gently caress you up

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 17, 2012

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008

Paolomania posted:

Long time listener first time poster.

TLDR background: I've been getting back into painting miniatures recently after about a 20 year hiatus. In the rise of nerdwave in the late 00's it came up that I played alot of RPGs in my youth and so I was convinced to GM for a group of the curious and nostalgic. We picked a fantasy game whose combat leans heavily towards tabletop minis and so I quickly found myself wanting for a robust array of miniatures of standard baddies or at least proxies. Needing a beater set of table-ready miniatures and not wanting to break the bank, I decided that the most cost effective way to stock up would be to buy a copy of 1st edition "Descent" off eBay and do a quick low-effort paint job with inexpensive craft paints. At the time (long before the Reaper kickstarter) this was going to be far cheaper than other options at a final cost-per-painted-mini of about $1.50 including some nice big-bads.

And so I began. The first few works were monstrosities of which we shall not speak. But even as I relearned the old techniques, I found the cheap pigments and mediums of the craft paints much harder to work with than the Citadel stuff that I had once worked with. Paints flowed poorly and dried quickly. Washes came out streaky ...

My brush skill improved and I revised my technique to use more layers of thinner wash with minimal highlighting ...

And finally I started putting a bit more effort into details. This demon is my latest finished work ...

and I've got more in the pipeline ...

Miniatures: from "Descent: Journeys in the Dark". A wide variety and nice enough sculpts for my purposes. I only did minimal cleanup of flash on most of the minis, which I am now somewhat regretful of.

Brushes: mostly a cheap no-name #2 with a cheap no-name #0 for detail

Primer: 1-2 coats Liquitex acrylic gesso. It does not demolish detail as much as one might think, and provides that excellent gesso tooth.

Paints: Folk Art craft paints. Working with these has been a lesson in pigment and medium quality. Poor coverage means bright colors must always be painted over white and shaded with multiple thin washes. Poor flow means just about everything should be done with thinned paints, but thinned craft paints can easily end up looking streaky. Pigment quality can easily leave washes, drybrushing or other blending attempts looking chalky.

Sealer: 2 coats Liquitex matte varnish. It has a bit of gloss to it and is difficult to apply thinly, but the sturdy plastic finish is perfect for a beater set of minis that will see heavy tabletop use by adult children.

Epilogue: And of course, what started as a low-cost, low-effort endeavor to create a beater set of minis got me all bitten by the painting bug again. I went in on the Reaper kickstarter, got some real brushes and have a Vallejo gamecolor suitcase on order. I'm wondering just how much easier the next batch will be after wrangling with the craft paints.

gently caress yeah, Descent! Great source of cheap fantasy miniatures right there. I went a route similar to you. :cheers:

As a fellow cheap-rear end craft paint user, I feel your pain. Sometimes there is just no substitute for the good stuff, ie Vallejo, Citadel metallics, etc.

Glad to hear Gesso priming worked out for you. I should probably give it a go on my unpainted Descent stuff too. I bought some but have yet to use it.

I tried Liquitex matte varnish myself but it ended up forming a shiny and cracked surface. Hearing your relative success with it makes me want to try again.

Thats a really nice gargoyle, by the way. I enjoy stone figures that are given a blue-ish hue because slate gray can be just so... boring. You paint quite well considering you are coming back after such a long hiatus.

I painted up a Descent figure a little while ago. Now seems like a perfect pretense to post him. Its my favorite character from the standard game, Bogran the Shadow! Orc assassin/thief types are so cool in my opinion.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Sole.Sushi posted:

Cheapest solution: set up your model to be sprayed--mount it to something easy to grab and maneuver with one hand. Get your primer in hand, shake it really, really, really well, and quickly go outside. Spray your model as best you can as quickly as you can while counting to 40. Once you hit 40, even if you're not done, run back inside and let the primer dry out fully. Repeat as needed.

I've spray-primed this way in cold weather several times, with absolutely no loss of primer quality. The idea is to make sure the can stays warm at all times: if you can do that, you're golden.

Done the same thing, but also set the can of primer in a warm water bath for a few minutes first to help it further resist the cold.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
The warm or hot water bath also raises the pressure of the can slightly, which is good always but great for half-empty cans.

While we're at it, turn the can upside down and hit the button for a couple of seconds to clear the nozzle for the next time.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

I think I am going to re-matte-varnish the edge, but leave the sewer itself shiny. I don't know how much more I want to paint Hamelin himself. He seems a little drab, bu what do you expect for a possessed rat-catcher.

Edit:

Also, completed my commission work for a friend, so now I get to crack open my payment!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Finished the test model for my Emperor's Children commission

My client said he loves it, which is good enough for me!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Sole.Sushi posted:

Will try, thanks!

Fearless posted:

Done the same thing, but also set the can of primer in a warm water bath for a few minutes first to help it further resist the cold.
Or set them on a radiator (within reason).

krushgroove posted:

The warm or hot water bath also raises the pressure of the can slightly, which is good always but great for half-empty cans.

While we're at it, turn the can upside down and hit the button for a couple of seconds to clear the nozzle for the next time.
Huh, totally forgot about that raised pressure effect. I'll have to try that with the old can.

As for cleaning, I always do this when I'm about to call it a day.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Is anyone here interested in buying my Tau or my friend's Space Wuffs?
Neither one of us has the time to devote to this hobby that we used to - what with courses to be done over the next year here - and are looking to unload our armies on someone deserving for nice low prices.

He has some 400 bucks worth of wolves and looking to sell for 200-ish, I probably have about twice that in Tau - most of it unpainted, some stripped from an old paintjob, almost all assembled.

I can get a more detailed list of what is available as well as pictures - but let me know if you've interest in either.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

crime fighting hog posted:

Finished the test model for my Emperor's Children commission

My client said he loves it, which is good enough for me!

Ha!
I have the exact same god-damned model on my desk, mid-assembly, next to my pre-heresy EC test marine.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

DarkDobe posted:

Neither one of us has the time to devote to this hobby that we used to - what with courses to be done over the next year here - and are looking to unload our armies on someone deserving for nice low prices.

He has some 400 bucks worth of wolves and looking to sell for 200-ish, I probably have about twice that in Tau - most of it unpainted, some stripped from an old paintjob, almost all assembled.

I can get a more detailed list of what is available as well as pictures - but let me know if you've interest in either.

We are all awful with money and even if we don't need any more kroot we might buy it all.

Can't hurt to post what you got.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

DarkDobe posted:

You can PM me with any physically larger items, I want minis purely for painting purposes and don't care what game they're for.

edit: I picked up some of that BSI super thin glue in the blue label bottle from the recommendation in this thread recently. Holy poo poo that is no joke.

edit edit: Mini of the night- attempting to highlight and shade cloth

Faces are hard

VVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Done! It does look a bit better now yeah

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 18, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Faces are hard

If you haven't done so already, hit that dark blue with a thin wash, it'll darken it slightly but it should also blend the highlights together.

Pilgrimski
Apr 23, 2008
I have a nice update this time, a lot of different mini projects have come together and I can show off some really complete work.

First up are completed buildings.

All of the platform levels are modular so they can be configured as desired.

I also finished some more pipework, including the most ambitious one yet.

This last one is also my first use of cork as a basing tool, I'm going for a concrete look, which I can tie into other buildings, roads etc.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I love it! The platforms are my favorite, what are those from? If those are scratch-built, they look like various bits of styrene plasticard glued together with purchased uprights. The pipe bits look fantastic too.

I'm just starting to base a bunch of Chaos Marines with cork sheets, my first time using it so I hope I'm not going over board. When tearing off the bits of cork I realized I can use the shredded cork bits as basing, it looks like the ballast you get for model railroads. So that's another container of stuff to keep around! I'm also using a bunch of RC car and helicopter broken parts to scatter around the base of my Helbrute and Mauler/Forgefiend, they look pretty cool with gears and tubes and mechanical bits.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Oh drat. Thats really awesome.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
I'm very jealous of your sweet Necromunda terrain.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

That's awesome! For the screens do you print stuff out and glue it down or what?

Pilgrimski
Apr 23, 2008

signalnoise posted:

That's awesome! For the screens do you print stuff out and glue it down or what?

Thanks guys! Comments like that keep me going :) They are indeed plasticard sheets, some plain, some textured and with scoring to make some details. As always, if you want to see step by step, you can find that here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?336084-Projectlogarium&p=6133071#post6133071

The consoles are from here: http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=console You get a sheet of photo-printed pictures and the resin panels.

Next part of the project - barrels, lots of barrels and stacks.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

CyberLord XP posted:

I'm very jealous of your sweet Necromunda terrain.

These were my exact thoughts, that is so loving great.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I've realized I have bought more miniatures than I have storage. Is Sabol still the best brand for minis cases?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

signalnoise posted:

I've realized I have bought more miniatures than I have storage. Is Sabol still the best brand for minis cases?

KR Multicase is probably the most popular brand here, they're run by a cool dude and are relatively very cheap especially if you get the cardboard cases. Honestly any brand will do the job fine but you should probably stay away from Battle Foam because the owner is a complete dickbag.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

ghetto wormhole posted:

Honestly any brand will do the job fine but you should probably stay away from Battle Foam because the owner is a complete dickbag.

Whoa, what's the story behind this?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I think it's about this http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/2010/08/31/38873/

another link http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/2010/08/31/38889/

It looks like the Battle Foam guy is accused of being a patent troll, but I don't know how or if the legal proceedings ended.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

If anyone is interested, my friend and I are selling our armies.

Selling Space Wolves and Tau

SA-Mart thread and information is here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3518056

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
25 Bolter Warrior acolytes with their 5 Assaultcannon psybolt razorbacks.

Big & Blurry

I can never get my desk clear of poo poo.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I guess I get to have a go at my first attempt of scratchbuilding on a figure - I'd forgotten that the metal Abaddon model I got a while back was modified for some reason, and had 2 power/lightning claws - so I have to make a cool-looking, crazy-rear end sword out of styrene and a cut-up Space Marine arm somehow.

On a more fun note, I've discovered the joys of pinning. I'm drilling barrels and pinning stuff left and right now!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The DV Chaos Lord essentially has a plastic version of Abby's sword, if you're feeling lazy.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ah, thanks for that. I wish I had that one, it is very close - I've bought a ton of DV models off a couple of goons but the Chaos Lord isn't one of them. I'll look for it on bitz sites. I might have some Dark Eldar swords to use as a base also, too.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

WhiteOutMouse posted:

25 Bolter Warrior acolytes with their 5 Assaultcannon psybolt razorbacks.

Big & Blurry

I can never get my desk clear of poo poo.

WhiteOutMouse, I don't get to tell you this often enough: your Chaos/Grey Knight conversions are literally my favorite army. You've obviously invested a ton of effort and thought into every model and it shows.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'm not familiar with Grey Knights at all, but a closer look at the big picture does show some really cool conversions. A tip of the hat/knife/glue bottle!

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Progress on the Grey tide:

Goat Bouillabaise
Sep 21, 2005
Strike Force DUMBASS!

krushgroove posted:

I'm not familiar with Grey Knights at all, but a closer look at the big picture does show some really cool conversions. A tip of the hat/knife/glue bottle!

EDIT: Hey, look at that! I totally misread which thread I was posting in. Speaking from a modeling perspective, I really love the Inquisitorial arm of the GK codex due to the staggering amount of conversion work and variety that you can put together on it. It's just...awesome.

Goat Bouillabaise fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 19, 2012

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
So I've ordered like a million supplies so far. They're going to arrive bit by bit from our friends, the Chinese. Now I'm looking into flock and static grass and clumps and awesome stuff like that. Any good tutorials, ideas, recommendations?

I'm sort of thinking of getting a dirt like flock, a green flock, static grass, clumps and some of those small plant like things. Makes any sense?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Hellbeard posted:

So I've ordered like a million supplies so far. They're going to arrive bit by bit from our friends, the Chinese. Now I'm looking into flock and static grass and clumps and awesome stuff like that. Any good tutorials, ideas, recommendations?

I'm sort of thinking of getting a dirt like flock, a green flock, static grass, clumps and some of those small plant like things. Makes any sense?

Woodland Scenics are the big name, if you go into any railway model shop they'll have tons of their stuff. There are smaller brand names you can find online too. You might want to get some static grass in a couple different colors. I really like the pre-glued clumps of grass, you can get them in various colors and heights, even ones with flowers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008

CyberLord XP posted:

Progress on the Grey tide:

That is awesome on so many levels

• Locked thread