Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Hey, does anyone know where I might be able to find some nice, high-res Persona 4 images? I'm thinking of making a Persona 4 calendar for myself.

Pollyanna posted:

I think it was Dishonored that packaged a deck as a preorder bonus recently, IIRC. And the PDF idea isn't so bad, but I don't have the professional tools available to make it come out well.

The deck is based on Rider, right? (Save whatever weirdness P3P and P4G are doing)

There are totally sites where you can get custom card decks made and shipped to you. I've been wanting to make a Persona one for some time now.

Nessa fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Nessa posted:

There are totally sites where you can get custom card decks made and shipped to you. I've been wanting to make a Persona one for some time now.

Sheeit. I might have to seriously look into this.

Also, this has been bugging me for a while - what exactly is the name of that sprite next to demon's names in the mainline games? You know, the little white 8-bit dude with his arms up in the air? Never mind, this is a dumb question.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Pollyanna posted:

Sheeit. I might have to seriously look into this.

Also, this has been bugging me for a while - what exactly is the name of that sprite next to demon's names in the mainline games? You know, the little white 8-bit dude with his arms up in the air? Never mind, this is a dumb question.

Sometimes it's referred to as "Oni Mark"(オニ・マーク), but I think the only game that officially called it that was Soul Hackers.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
In Nocturne the main guys friend says to wear the "demon jacket" and its got that little guy as a pattern on the sleeves

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Found it!

The wiki has it as "Nakama Sprite", or something. I like it. :getin:

edit: オニ・マーク has it show up a lot, too.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Nov 19, 2012

manny kaltz
Oct 16, 2011

What?...
Hello, I have a question for Australian-based people:

Have any of you ordered games from videogamesplus.ca? I ordered P4:G from them and I received an email yesterday saying that they had shipped it.

I was wondering when I should expect to receive it? Anywhere between one to two weeks?

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I'd like to give Persona 4 a try (for the Vita) but after reading the "what should I know before playing" it sounds very complicated trying to remember what dates to do certain activites, etc.

Can this game be enjoyed by just doing "anything" you want?

...or does anybody have a small list of critical "what must I know" tips?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vinlaen posted:

I'd like to give Persona 4 a try (for the Vita) but after reading the "what should I know before playing" it sounds very complicated trying to remember what dates to do certain activites, etc.

You can very easily finish the game by doing what you want. Trying to min-max isn't really necessary.

The only things to keep in mind (and I donno if this changed for Vita) but:

A) Raising your party member's Social Links rewards you with new abilities and an eventual upgrade.
B) Your family member (Nanako and Dojima)'s social links become unavailable relatively early, so prioritize them if you want to finish them.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Vinlaen posted:

The guides help when gaining points towards SLinks and some of your personality stats can be affected by the choices in game. There are also quite a few Japanese culture questions and cooking challenges that you'll be looking up answers to.

You have to rescue people by certain dates but other than that you can wing it. The important thing is to look up a guide towards November for the true and good endings.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ImpAtom posted:

B) Your family member (Nanako and Dojima)'s social links become unavailable relatively early, so prioritize them if you want to finish them.

Is this still the case in Golden? Because if so I'm going to prioritize diligence I only got Nanako to rank 9 before.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Len posted:

Is this still the case in Golden? Because if so I'm going to prioritize diligence I only got Nanako to rank 9 before.

I haven't heard anything about that being changed.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They added some new social links, but the added time occurs after the story is finished.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

One nice tip I would've liked to have known on my first runthrough was that you should try and save your dungeon exploring for rainy days; most S-Links are blocked off on those days plus you get better item drops from Shadows.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's funny, everyone (myself included) always say that you don't need to know all that much the first time through P4 but inevitably wind up listing a ton of stuff anyway. For me the "simple" list would be...

-Obviously, you're not going to get every S. Link. No worries, as long as you finish the Links to your party members (specifically the ones you use in battle), you'll do just fine. Hermit as well for easy dungeon crawling. Justice and Heirophant are nice for plot-related reasons (and their final days are sooner than all other Links). Everything else is gravy.

-Lunches are very useful. But you are wasting your time if you have lunch with someone who was going to level up at the next event anyway.

-Chie does not learn any Ice spells after Bufula. She is only useful late game as a Physical fighter.

Most of this you would more or less pick as you go.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Len posted:

Has anyone had a Golden ship from Gamestop yet? I have a pending charge but they haven't shipped yet and I'd really like to have it in time for Thanksgiving. That way I have something to play while ignoring my family between food servings.

Mine shipped a couple hours ago.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also, keep in mind:

-Kanji is the best. :colbert:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Kanji can teach me how to knit any day. :allears:

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Len posted:

Diligence? Isn't Nanako's stat expression?

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Devil Survivor 2. Yamato fight where he's using the Dragon Stream at the Tsuutenkaku. Oh god help. Using MC with maxed magic and an almighty+Python setup, Fumi with a Holy Dance+Python setup, Hinako with multi strike, and Io. Around level 57.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Chickenfrogman posted:

Devil Survivor 2. Yamato fight where he's using the Dragon Stream at the Tsuutenkaku. Oh god help. Using MC with maxed magic and an almighty+Python setup, Fumi with a Holy Dance+Python setup, Hinako with multi strike, and Io. Around level 57.

I remember killing his dudes and forcing him to use all his MP on reviving them. Obviously take out the divine so that he can't refill and get some drain/repel phys up on your characters and demons.

You can also get the 8 range demons too.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Nate RFB posted:

-Chie does not learn any Ice spells after Bufula. She is only useful late game as a Physical fighter.

Not true any more, if you max her Bike Link she gets Bufudyne. She's still bad at magic though.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Arbitrary Coin posted:

I remember killing his dudes and forcing him to use all his MP on reviving them. Obviously take out the divine so that he can't refill and get some drain/repel phys up on your characters and demons.

You can also get the 8 range demons too.

Bolded the important part. Seriously, get somebody with Chaos Wave, two if you can, slap Yamato and his cronies before they even get close enough to breathe on you.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

The GIG posted:

Not true any more, if you max her Bike Link she gets Bufudyne. She's still bad at magic though.

Its not as if this is really a big deal anyway. Magic's main advantage is knocking foes down. Physical moves are just as good for making them die. Pretty sure Chie was the biggest chunk of my damage for bosses late game.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

MrAristocrates posted:

Also, keep in mind:

-Kanji is the best. :colbert:

Dojima :colbert:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Spacy Girl :colbert:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Funky Student :colbert:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Schubalts posted:

Funky Student :colbert:

Yosuke :colbert: .

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

What is wrong with you people? It's the fox. :colbert:

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Blhue posted:

Its not as if this is really a big deal anyway. Magic's main advantage is knocking foes down. Physical moves are just as good for making them die. Pretty sure Chie was the biggest chunk of my damage for bosses late game.

Yeah, I kept her in my party the entire way through because sometimes knockdown was more relevant than damage output. This is actually true of most SMT titles.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly aside from taking either or both of the party members who learn multi-target heals, you can get away with whatever party composition you want in P4 without meaningfully changing the difficulty. The protagonist's versatility is such a powerful feature that he can compensate for weaknesses in elemental coverage or whatever.

Chie's my least favorite character gameplay-wise, though. :(

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Chickenfrogman posted:

I remember having trouble with that fight too. I think his team setup has a hole in it's elemental resistances (I want to say it was ice.) I gave Fumi Mabufudyne and all the damage boosting stuff I could like Blitzkrieg, Ice Amp and whatnot. With a decent demon setup, she was able to two shot him and kill him on the extra turn.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Chie's my least favorite character gameplay-wise, though. :(

You might change your mind in Golden since she gets something that's basically a full party Heat Riser. :v:

Though truthfully, I never used her in P4. I brought Kanji to the end instead even though I only managed to get to Rank 5 with his link.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Nobody else can punt enemies out of the fight and into space. She earned her place on a permanent basis the moment she pulled that one out.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don't remember who I used the most in P4, I think I just rotated them out a whole lot. I know that with P3 I used Yukari and Aigis a whole lot, though.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's the same with me. I rotated characters a lot and did my best to keep everyone even leveled.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Rolled with Chie (punch everything), Naoto (non-elemental magic and insta-death) and Yukiko (burn everything and heal everybody).

I think Yosuke's was the only party member Link I didn't max out.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yosuke is pretty well rounded. He has good Physical/Wind/Healing, is fast as poo poo, and even has a full party buff. I think he's the one character I never swapped out. Naoto is too specialized (and kind of useless against bosses), Teddie's Electricty weakness is really rough because so many enemies have Zio-based stuff in the endgame, and Kanji doesn't have Power Charge. The latter they at least have seemingly fixed in The Golden, which means my new party will probably be MC/Yosuke/Kanji/Yukiko.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Yukiko/Chie/Naoto supremacy :colbert:

The GIG posted:

I don't know why they thought screwing her out of spells was ever a good idea in the first place. Sure, she's not great with them, but neither is Kanji and he gets the entire Zio family :confused:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My most used team was probably Chie, Naoto, and Kanji, although I did alternate Kanji for Yukiko sometimes so I'd have a healer if I felt like having more than three elements to wreck everything. After hearing about skippable cutscenes, I can't wait to actually play the game and not hold triangle for an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

U.T. Raptor posted:

I don't know why they thought screwing her out of spells was ever a good idea in the first place. Sure, she's not great with them, but neither is Kanji and he gets the entire Zio family :confused:

Doesn't she get more physical skills as a trade-off though?

Really one of the nicer things about the game is being able to do decent with most parties by letting your MC fill niches you're missing. I went Chie/Yukiko/Kanji and my Persona list was full of healing and Ice and Wind magic.