Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Kevar posted:

I just...:psyduck:

Those reviews help me understand how Netflix's recommendation system gave me some messed up movies. I gave good ratings to Straw Dogs (the original one) and Irreversible, and Netflix started suggesting a bunch of movies that all had rape scenes in them, saying I'd like them because I liked Straw Dogs and Irreversible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

Those reviews help me understand how Netflix's recommendation system gave me some messed up movies. I gave good ratings to Straw Dogs (the original one) and Irreversible, and Netflix started suggesting a bunch of movies that all had rape scenes in them, saying I'd like them because I liked Straw Dogs and Irreversible.

More Gritty 1980's Urban British Rape Movies you might like:

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

More Gritty 1980's Urban British Rape Movies you might like:
I literally have a suggestion category of "French Vampire Films" and they're all directed by the same guy.

I haven't even watched any vampire movies on Netflix. I guess I've just exhausted all the normal French-language movies so it's throwing whatever it can at me.

I'm surprised Girl With The Dragon Tattoo hasn't led me to more rape movies.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

casa de mi padre posted:

I literally have a suggestion category of "French Vampire Films" and they're all directed by the same guy.

Lemme guess, Jean Rollin?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Kevar posted:

I've been meaning to watch it for years but I can just never get in the right mindset to willingly sit down and watch it. I have seen the scene where the guy gets his head bashed in with the fire extinguisher and that made me really uncomfortable. I'm not usually squeamish with movie violence, so I figured I'll be fine never seeing the rape scene.

I still might watch it some day because I really liked Enter the Void. It's just hard to commit to the experience knowing what's going to happen.

I'm in the same boat however it wasn't the fire extinguisher so much as the gimps breaking the arm that did it for me. I think it's a perfect example of "things that really should not be put to film".

And to change the subject entirely, I started watching Surviving Progress before work and it seemed really interesting. I couldn't finish it because I had to leave for work.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

casa de mi padre posted:

I made the mistake of watching an Asylum movie and suddenly my recommendation queue was full of weird knock-offs and syfy-originals.

edit: and not even the good ones like Mansquito

Dr Monkeysee fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 20, 2012

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kevar posted:

Why did I click on that? Why am I reading the reviews for Irreversible?

I just...:psyduck:

quote:

Real fellatio at the beginning. Actress not beautiful; but appears nude.

Some people have criteria for judging the quality of a film that are very different from my own.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

The Human Centipede: First Sequence because you liked The Thing. gently caress you, Netflix. If I was less knowledgeable about films, you could have messed me up for life.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I'm in the same boat however it wasn't the fire extinguisher so much as the gimps breaking the arm that did it for me. I think it's a perfect example of "things that really should not be put to film".
I put Irreversible pretty much in the same category as most Michael Haneke films: Don't regret watching it, but I never, ever want to see it again because there are scenes that still occasionally pop in my head and unnerve me all over again. Which I assume is the point, but still...

MustardMaster
Oct 14, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kuddles posted:

I would take the argument that you can avoid cancer by avoiding meat with a very hefty bag of salt. While the notion of eating less meat and dairy and more whole foods is an obviously sound principal, most of the science in the film has been shown to be completely misrepresented.

http://anthonycolpo.com/forks-over-knives-the-latest-vegan-nonsense-dissected-debunked-and-destroyed/

http://welldonechef.com/forks-over-knives-indeed.html

Well do I feel suckered. I didn't really view it as "hardcore" as it was meant to be, I just thought with rose-tinted glasses that wholefoods = good. Thanks for the links

casa de mi padre posted:

There's opposing science that suggests that carbs cause cancer and all those lovely diseases.

Check out: http://www.amazon.com/Good-Calories-Bad-Controversial-Science/dp/1400033462/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353362647&sr=1-1 if you're interested in the other viewpoint. It's always good to hear both sides of the argument.

Thanks dude, I ordered the book.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

MustardMaster posted:

Well do I feel suckered. I didn't really view it as "hardcore" as it was meant to be, I just thought with rose-tinted glasses that wholefoods = good. Thanks for the links

Thanks dude, I ordered the book.

Congrats on being easily swayed by whatever propaganda seems most authoritative to you at the time.

I'm sure there are all sorts of problems with the documentary, but here are the people that have been linked countering it:

"The Latest Vegan Nonsense Dissected"

"Now, you know what I think of vegetarianism."

Sound like pretty objective sources to give a fair and good faith analysis of a documentary that promotes veganism.

MustardMaster
Oct 14, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Congrats on being easily swayed by whatever propaganda seems most authoritative to you at the time.

I'm sure there are all sorts of problems with the documentary, but here are the people that have been linked countering it:

"The Latest Vegan Nonsense Dissected"

"Now, you know what I think of vegetarianism."

Sound like pretty objective sources to give a fair and good faith analysis of a documentary that promotes veganism.

A lot of stuff can be very biased, but it doesn't mean there wouldn't be at least a little truth in them. I just said that the movie was interesting, as were the links and the book. No harm done here.

About Netflix though: What documentaries there are worth watching? I wanted to check out Windfall, but it didn't get too many positive reviews.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

^I was more trying to get you to realize you shouldn't apologize and feel like a sucker for finding a biased source interesting as soon as someone provides biased sources that take issue with your first biased source. Like yeah, absolutely experience them all and make your own decisions, but you were basically like "oh man sorry I bought into all that stupid vegan poo poo" as soon as someone called it into question. Think for yourself, man.

Also watch Make Believe it will change your life for two hours.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 20, 2012

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

MustardMaster posted:

A lot of stuff can be very biased, but it doesn't mean there wouldn't be at least a little truth in them. I just said that the movie was interesting, as were the links and the book. No harm done here.

About Netflix though: What documentaries there are worth watching? I wanted to check out Windfall, but it didn't get too many positive reviews.

My absolute fave: Between the Folds. I am enthralled by that movie every time I watch it.

Others:
Marwencol, Microcosmos, Into the Abyss

MustardMaster
Oct 14, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Huh. None of those movies(Between the Folds, Marwencol, Microcosmos, Into the Abyss nor Make Believe) are in Netflix. Have they been there before?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

mr. mephistopheles posted:

While the links I provided clearly have their own agenda, I think they do a good job (including providing actual references) showing that the scientific claims the film makes are completely unsupported. There's a difference between a film just being biased because it is trying to push a vegan lifestyle (which I have no problem with), and this one which claims you can prevent certain cancers or diseases just by following their fad diet.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

MustardMaster posted:

Huh. None of those movies(Between the Folds, Marwencol, Microcosmos, Into the Abyss nor Make Believe) are in Netflix. Have they been there before?

Marwencol was on Netflix for a pretty good while, at least. Dunno about the others.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Into The Abyss was there until recently as well.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

MustardMaster posted:

They are all currently on netflix, i'm not sure if your in another country or something.

MustardMaster
Oct 14, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Well, I do live in Finland. So Netflix has different movies for different countries? Any way I can go through these walls?

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
I know Between the Folds is on there. And I rewatched Microcosmos not long ago.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

MustardMaster posted:

It's gotten a lot of love here before, but Jiro Dreams of Sushi is really fantastic. I don't even care much about Sushi and all of a sudden I want to move to Japan and become a Tuna Buyer. It's a beautiful film about a man and the thing he loves. More of a biography than a documentary, I suppose.

Not sure if its still on netflix, though. Let's hope yes!

RowsdowerHotline
Nov 5, 2003
Forum Crackwhore

Drunk Tomato posted:

It's gotten a lot of love here before, but Jiro Dreams of Sushi is really fantastic. I don't even care much about Sushi and all of a sudden I want to move to Japan and become a Tuna Buyer. It's a beautiful film about a man and the thing he loves. More of a biography than a documentary, I suppose.

Not sure if its still on netflix, though. Let's hope yes!

I caught up on a bunch of films while I had a few days off and just wanted to do something mellow to get my mind off work and other commitments. Jiro Dreams of Sushi was by far one of the most amazing films I've seen. For those still on the fence, even if you think it's boring, please please please watch this because it's really amazing and I found it a deeply moving documentary.

Other films I'd recommend are Life In A Day which is kind of a documentary of various clips recorded on a particular day. While some reviews say it's pointless and boring, I was moved by the whole...human experience of the thing. You see what separates us and also what binds us together as humans. It's just amazing to see someone from a completely different culture and realize we're not all that different.
Shut up, little man! was interesting, though I didn't find it as good as Resurrect Dead, which was also a great documentary.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Everyone should watch The Great Happiness Space and not read too much about it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

MustardMaster posted:

Well, I do live in Finland. So Netflix has different movies for different countries? Any way I can go through these walls?

VPNs basically. The US edition of Netflix has heaps more content than any of the offbrands.

MustardMaster
Oct 14, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Party Plane Jones posted:

VPNs basically. The US edition of Netflix has heaps more content than any of the offbrands.

Hmm. Is there a way for me to register into the US version of Netflix?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

MustardMaster posted:

Make an account using a different email address and a fake home address. As far as I know, they don't currently check the region of your credit card.

A lot of services like Unotelly or Unblock-US (which I use as a Canadian) even provide the ability for you to quickly change region if there's something on the Finland version you want to catch later on, too.

Speaking of which, while the US version selection is far superior (especially for television), I love that they added that feature because there still is occasionally some stuff on the Canadian Netflix that isn't on the US. Recently, I've been hanging out on the Canadian one to watch Community, Justified, The Descendants, Never Let Me Go, and Tom Cruise's best film ever - Legend.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 20, 2012

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

These instructions allowed me to get US Netflix on my Xbox (in Canada) without any other service. I use the same login I use for the Canadian one too with no errors.

1. Delete your Netflix app from the Xbox
2. Go into the Network settings and change the DNS settings from Automatic to Manual
3. Change the Primary DNS server to 190.14.36.90 and the Secondary DNS server to 109.123.111.24 4.

Redownload the Netflix app and you should have the American stuff when you sign back in.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

foodfight posted:

Please take this man's suggestion under advisement. It's a documentary about Japanese host clubs, and that's all you need to know. Don't read anything, just go watch it.

I'll watch Jiro tonight if the rest of you watch The Great Happiness Space.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

foodfight posted:

I concur. The part where you find out who their biggest customers were was surprising and sad.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Dacap posted:

These instructions allowed me to get US Netflix on my Xbox (in Canada) without any other service. I use the same login I use for the Canadian one too with no errors.

1. Delete your Netflix app from the Xbox
2. Go into the Network settings and change the DNS settings from Automatic to Manual
3. Change the Primary DNS server to 190.14.36.90 and the Secondary DNS server to 109.123.111.24 4.

Redownload the Netflix app and you should have the American stuff when you sign back in.

...I love you. This worked brilliantly here. Watching Bob's Burgers right now on my PS3.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

MustardMaster posted:

You don't have to do that. Netflix accounts are universal, it gives you content based on where you're logging in from. I'm in Finland too and have been using Unblock-Us to access Netflix USA from my home since they started here.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Thank the world for :worship: unblock-us.
I was using a 360 with a monitor (via VGA) for the longest time until I got a Samsung plasma today.
Put the HDMI in and... some bullshit HDCP license error. :fuckoff:
Thank goodness it's a Smart TV. The Netflix app works fine, even if the UI is inferior to the 360's version.

Anyways, as a diehard nature doc fan, I really, really recommend:

Microcosmos

The level of detail (one year after Attenborough's "The Life of Plants") is incredible.
The soundtrack is very minimal though, emphasizing the sounds of nature.

Not really a documentary, more of a "slice of life" movie.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Nov 21, 2012

MustardMaster
Oct 14, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Thank you guys, the Unblock Us is working perfectly! Time for some dreams of sushi then.

E: Can somebody explain me why different regions have to have different programs? What's the point? Couldn't there just be one and the same for every country and there would only be different subtitles available?

MustardMaster fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Nov 21, 2012

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
(Previously existing before the internet age) Exclusivity deals, expensive licensing of proprietary intellectual property, bullshit content requirement laws, uncompetitive cartels carving out their fiefdoms. (see: Canada for all of these)

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Nov 21, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

foodfight posted:

This was fantastic advice. Much, much more affecting than I expected it to be.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Sarchasm posted:

Please take this man's suggestion under advisement. It's a documentary about Japanese host clubs, and that's all you need to know. Don't read anything, just go watch it.

Yep, pretty much all you need to know going in.

RoughDraft2.0
Mar 8, 2007

We really like your car, Mrs. LaRusso.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

This was fantastic advice. Much, much more affecting than I expected it to be.

I haven't seen this--yet--but if the premise intrigues you, I would highly recommend the non-fiction book People Who Eat Darkness. It's about the inverse of the movie's premise: female hostesses in Roppongi clubs. One goes missing in Tokyo and...well. Things get ugly fast. Great true crime.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

RoughDraft2.0 posted:

I haven't seen this--yet--but if the premise intrigues you, I would highly recommend the non-fiction book People Who Eat Darkness. It's about the inverse of the movie's premise: female hostesses in Roppongi clubs. One goes missing in Tokyo and...well. Things get ugly fast. Great true crime.

This does sound interesting, thanks.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

RoughDraft2.0 posted:

I think I'll check this out, I've read very little Japanese true crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardMaster
Oct 14, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So I watched Jiro, Dreams of Sushi, like people here recommended. It was beautiful. Lives like that are probably the most fulfilling ones to lead. Just amazing.

Now I'm watching The Great Happiness Space.

:psyduck:

I'm literally speechless. Oh my Lord.

• Locked thread