Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

FordPRefectLL posted:

I'm having a bit of an issue. My bill is coming up on the 28th and I currently have a $1,200 charge because they still haven't processed my returned phone after a warranty replacement that I sent in 3 weeks ago.

I've been calling every single day asking if they've received it and the CSR usually can't even pull up tracking. I was informed when I was shipping the phone back that I could print out a smartpost label from the website and bring the package to USPS instead of Fedex, since the nearest Fedex place is an hour away from where I live.

Is it normal for them to not have tracking whatsoever on smartpost shipments? What is the turn around time on them checking out warranties? This is really frustrating, I have 3 other family members on my family plan and I can't really afford myself to have my phone shut off. If I had known it was going to turn into a nightmare like this I would've just dealt with the screen problem on my Gnex instead of trying to have it fixed.

I had to deal with similar poo poo returning my gnex (obligatory gently caress Samsung). Verizon got it and promptly lost it in their warehouse and/or got it mixed up with someone else's Droid X or some poo poo.

I had to call them non stop for a month, each time getting put off a couple more days. Finally some CSR who had their poo poo together just gave me my refund, after all the paperwork had been resubmitted to the warehouse like three times. I had a tracking number too, since the return they gave me was fedex. Maybe just keep calling back and complaining enough until you get a responsive CSR? That seems to make all the difference with Verizon, in my experience at least.

tl;dr gently caress Verizon too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

kitten smoothie posted:

For what it's worth I did try installing the leaked RAZR HD 4.1 update, used it for a week, and had no problem going back to stock. Including the original bootloader.

The script I found that restores the stock image first flashed the old bootloader, then restarted back into the bootloader to complete the rest of the restore. The bootloader screen shows the firmware revision date, and I saw the revision date was older afterwards.

Most of them will work fine, you just have to make sure first. For example, there were a bunch of versions of the ICS update for the Razr and I ran into a problem with one of the later ones - turns out all the testers said you could revert back from it but that wasn't actually true. Luckily the build didn't actually have many problems and somebody figured out a way to update to the final OTA version (which was actually super complicated).

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Looks like the razr M is now a penny on Amazon with an upgrade. Almost thinking about ditching the Maxx HD in favor of that simply for not needing to pay diddly for it.

Dr Blah PhD
Aug 11, 2007
Property of tithin
Quick question.

Ive mentioned before that I have an unlimited plan, but when I upgrade, it will be to my second line, in order to keep my unlimited data. Most likely it will be a GS3, but, even though I am able to keep my old plan on a new contract, will verizon force me to pay for tethering? The plan is to keep my bill at the same rate every month, but someone mentioned that if I upgrade, and I have an unlimited data plan, they would most likely charge a tethering fee.
In truth, I do plan on tethering, but with apps like foxfi or something, nothing official that would warrant verizons charge. Also, with htc thunderbolt having an htc lock which prevents the use of third party tethering apps, are there any other makers out there pulling that same stunt? Will I be in the clear with a GS3?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

On Terra Firma posted:

Looks like the razr M is now a penny on Amazon with an upgrade. Almost thinking about ditching the Maxx HD in favor of that simply for not needing to pay diddly for it.

The Razr M is a great phone, but if you already have the Maxx HD you should just keep it.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The Razr M is a great phone, but if you already have the Maxx HD you should just keep it.

Oh I don't have one yet, but I've been eying it for a while. Just not sure it's worth an extra 170.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

ProjektorBoy posted:

It looks like the Verge's battery rundown test keeps the screen on the entire time while basically using it uninterrupted. That's not how humans use a phone.

While you don't think you're going to want to run the most stringent test possible on a phone, it's usually a good idea to see the worst before you aim for what you may or may not be able to achieve.

Guess what? what you linked isn't how humans use a phone either. Maybe 10% of the time, but not 90%. That's not to say that the device is horrible, but with my HTC rezound I've had to generally keep use and brightness to a minimum if I didn't want that phone to die quickly, and it has a comparable battery life to the DNA. Not using your phone is not a definition of good battery life.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, any modern smartphone should last a long time on idle. The fact remains though that the 1080p screen on the DNA is a 3 shot liability. Graphical performance is reduced over phones with similar SoC since a higher resolution needs to be rendered. That also puts more load on the GPU which increases power consumption. Finally, the screen itself sucks down power.

Ars did an even more dramatic battery rundown test, representing the worse case of all phones involved (looping Egypt HD demo.)

quote:

We first enabled Airplane Mode on all three phones to remove a few variables from the equation, and then set all three phones to 50 percent brightness—all three of these screens are about equally bright, so this should make for a fairly accurate apples-to-apples comparison. The Galaxy S III's 2100 mAh battery fared the best of the three—it drained after three hours and four minutes. The Optimus G's 2100 mAh battery was close behind at two hours and 55 minutes, a fairly impressive feat given the latter phone's increased speed. Meanwhile, the Droid DNA's 2020 mAh battery lasted only two hours and 24 minutes, about 18 percent lower than the Optimus G and around 22 percent lower than the Galaxy S III. The Droid DNA uses a battery that's about four percent smaller than either of the other phones, but you'll lose much more battery life than that.

Crank up the brightness, and things become even less favorable for the Droid DNA. At 100 percent brightness, the phone fully drained its battery in about an hour and 45 minutes, while the Galaxy S III lasted for around an hour longer. The Optimus G's screen brightness is automatically reduced to about 50 percent when the phone gets too hot, which prevents us from making a direct comparison between the two handsets here. Even so, it's a safe bet it would still last longer than the Droid DNA.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/11/htcs-droid-dna-makes-big-sacrifices-to-reach-1080p/

When it gets down to it, the DNA probably has the worst battery life of any phone released within the past 9 months or so, possibly within the last year. If that limitation is fine with you, it's probably an OK device otherwise. It's just slightly disappointing of what it COULD have been had HTC graced it with a bit more battery.

There are also other HTC concerns as well. This device is a major departure from the other devices they have released recently as far as components go. This represents the 3rd SoC in use for devices released in the past 6 months and since it's a quad core they had to use an add on chip for the baseband. That makes them significantly different from their S4 based devices.

HTC has shown that they simply cannot handle supporting such a wide variety of hardware targets. Update cycles on this phone are likely to be the longest in Verizon's current stable.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I see nothing wrong with SOC changes. Technology for mobile has changed drastically this past year, with soc changes mirroring arm and gpu revisions.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Which when you add all this stuff up, especially the architectural issues that will make it take a long time to get updates, it sounds like people are justified in calling this thing Thunderbolt 2.0.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, any modern smartphone should last a long time on idle. The fact remains though that the 1080p screen on the DNA is a 3 shot liability. Graphical performance is reduced over phones with similar SoC since a higher resolution needs to be rendered. That also puts more load on the GPU which increases power consumption. Finally, the screen itself sucks down power.

Ars did an even more dramatic battery rundown test, representing the worse case of all phones involved (looping Egypt HD demo.)

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/11/htcs-droid-dna-makes-big-sacrifices-to-reach-1080p/

When it gets down to it, the DNA probably has the worst battery life of any phone released within the past 9 months or so, possibly within the last year. If that limitation is fine with you, it's probably an OK device otherwise. It's just slightly disappointing of what it COULD have been had HTC graced it with a bit more battery.

There are also other HTC concerns as well. This device is a major departure from the other devices they have released recently as far as components go. This represents the 3rd SoC in use for devices released in the past 6 months and since it's a quad core they had to use an add on chip for the baseband. That makes them significantly different from their S4 based devices.

HTC has shown that they simply cannot handle supporting such a wide variety of hardware targets. Update cycles on this phone are likely to be the longest in Verizon's current stable.

As far as battery is concerned, it would appear the DNA's name should be changed to Thunderbolt 2.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Aren't most people saying the battery life is not that bad? Most review sites are saying it's fine.

white Stormy
Jan 4, 2003

i bought a samsung gs3 on nov. 8th. couple days later heard about the dna (i don't know how i missed it). i have 14 days to return or exchange and what not. i went to the store a couple times asking about exchanging it for the dna since the preorder is available and the store date is nov. 21st putting me right in the window. first guy said he would have to find out how to do it since it was a new line also and would call me that day but never did call me. then tonight i went back and explained everything and she called him and he said oh you wouldn't like it, the gs3 is much nicer, and he got to play with it and the battery was awful, it would be a real headache for you to exchange it. i said i still wanted it and they said we checked the warehouse and they don't have any yet and we won't have them until the end of the month. saying things to convince me i don't want to do it.

this all sounds more like they just don't want to do it and don't what to end up with a return. i told them people have received shipping notifications, they replied with that's probably not what they meant, they wouldn't be shipping already.

i wanted one before just because i wanted one but now i want one with the added spite of sticking them with a return.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Cbear posted:

Aren't most people saying the battery life is not that bad? Most review sites are saying it's fine.

It's "fine" in comparison to 2011 phones, but we were forced to accept a pretty low bar in 2011. The 2012 slate of phones as been much better as far as battery goes and the DNA really doesn't measure up to that standard.

So, the DNA is better than last year, but not great for this year.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I see nothing wrong with SOC changes. Technology for mobile has changed drastically this past year, with soc changes mirroring arm and gpu revisions.

The problem with the SoC changes is HTC clearly has no concrete plans on which phone gets what.

The AT&T One X gets the S4, but they JUST launched the One X+ that gets a quad core Tegra 3. At the same time HTC is launching two quad core phones (one in Japan and one in the US) that use the quad core S4.

It's scattershot. It was bad enough when they used different SoCs in the NA market than the rest of the world, but they were forced into that due to LTE incompatibility. That's not an issue anymore, but they still don't seem to want to standardize on one SoC (or even one SoC family) for the majority of their phones.

This year, HTC has released phones with the following chipsets.

Snapdragon S1 (Desire C)
Snapdragon S2 (One V)
Snapdragon S3 (Asian One S)
Snapdragon S4 (North American One S, One X, Evo LTE, Incredible 4G)
Tegra 3 T30 (International One X)
Tegra 3 T33 (One X+)
Snapdragon S4 Pro Quad (HTC J Butterfly, Droid DNA)

How in the hell is their development team supposed to keep up with that? It's no wonder they are losing money hand over fist in this market. Their whole "One" marketing at the beginning of this year has turned into a fantastical joke as well. They, by far, have released the most handsets this year.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 20, 2012

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I wouldn't trust the DNA as far as I could throw it. The One S is constantly being returned to us at T-mobile because it has so many loving problems with both software and hardware. I don't even know why people are discussing it. It should just be forgotten.

white Stormy
Jan 4, 2003

On Terra Firma posted:

I wouldn't trust the DNA as far as I could throw it. The One S is constantly being returned to us at T-mobile because it has so many loving problems with both software and hardware. I don't even know why people are discussing it. It should just be forgotten.

i bet you could throw the dna pretty far.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
After my experience with the HTC Thunderbolt there is no way in hell I would buy or use an HTC device on any carrier. The Verizon reps are doing you a favor.

white Stormy
Jan 4, 2003

texaholic posted:

After my experience with the HTC Thunderbolt there is no way in hell I would buy or use an HTC device on any carrier. The Verizon reps are doing you a favor.

i have had 4 htc devices before this gs3 and have loved each one. never had any issues with any of them.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

white Stormy posted:

i have had 4 htc devices before this gs3 and have loved each one. never had any issues with any of them.

Were they always plugged into a wall? After dealing with a Thunderbolt and a Rezound, I cannot recommend anyone who I don't want to die in a car fire any HTC device released. I could quite literally watch the battery on my Thunderbolt evaporate in minutes by just wakelocking.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

HTC dev tool no longer works to unlock the DNA bootloader.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/11/20/droid-dna-reportedly-no-longer-unlockable-through-htcdev/

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Since both the razr maxx and m are free on Amazon, which is better? Is the battery life of the m at all comparable?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

M:
qHD Screen
8gb internal storage
no microHDMI port
2000 mAh battery

HD:
HD Screen
16gb internal storage
microHDMI port
2500 mAh battery

HD MAXX:
HD Screen
32gb internal storage
microHDMI port
3300 mAh battery

The SoC (system on chip) between all 3 are exactly the same.

All things being equal, the M will have the shortest battery life out of all 3, but its screen should consume slightly less power than the other two.

So, on idle, the M will be the shortest lived one. But in use, that difference should be smaller.

The M still has really excellent battery life though. It's easily a full day phone with moderate use.

Edit:

After I wrote all that, I realized you were referring to the original MAXX.

The M will probably not last quite as long as the original Razr MAXX, but it wouldn't be a gigantic difference. If you are drawing heavy data, the M will probably last longer due to the more efficient radios. I would not purchase the either of the original Razrs over the Razr M.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 20, 2012

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Also, the M will probably last you longer in terms of support lifetime being as how it's only two months old versus a year old. If you're able to stomach the 8GB internal storage then that's definitely a better buy I think.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah, that's why I'm thinking - I'd prefer the larger screen, but I think the original Maxx vs M will be close enough in battery life to justify having better support & future upgrades. I'm trying to talk my mom into getting one as well, as she's still using an Incredible 2, but if she doesn't want to I may just have her order one for a penny, keep the I2, and ebay the new in box Razr M.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

white Stormy posted:

This is my second - I currently operate an Incredible. Love it, was ready for an upgrade. Oddly enough, the selling point for me was that HTC is still not using AMOLED. I just cannot stand those screens. I had considered the Incredible 4G LTE, but wanted the upgraded camera hardware in the DNA.

This phone was long awaited for me.

Bummer that it's no longer unlockable though. Chances are I'll have to hack it at some point.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
Edit: blah, sorry.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cuedotcom fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 21, 2012

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah, that's why I'm thinking - I'd prefer the larger screen, but I think the original Maxx vs M will be close enough in battery life to justify having better support & future upgrades. I'm trying to talk my mom into getting one as well, as she's still using an Incredible 2, but if she doesn't want to I may just have her order one for a penny, keep the I2, and ebay the new in box Razr M.

The M has the same screen as the original RAZR and Maxx too.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

pbpancho posted:

The M has the same screen as the original RAZR and Maxx too.

Same SIZE, it is a slightly different screen though, in a smaller package.

The M has Jelly Bean NOW as well. While the OG razr family doesn't yet.

There is really no reason to go with the original Maxx anymore.

kitten smoothie posted:

If you're able to stomach the 8GB internal storage then that's definitely a better buy I think.

Other than this...but Micro SD Cards are super cheap, 32GB for ~$25 is commonplace.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
If I'm adding a line to get a new phone, then switching it to my line via equipment switch...can I do this on the same trip to verizon? Or do I have to go seperate timesk?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Cbear posted:

If I'm adding a line to get a new phone, then switching it to my line via equipment switch...can I do this on the same trip to verizon? Or do I have to go seperate timesk?

We did it same trip, at a corporate store.

A local reseller explained that they get completely bent over if they do this, but the corporate store can do it without repercussions.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Also, do i just tell them my plan from the get? Or wait til after they activate the new phone, new line? Don't want them to get pissy.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Cbear posted:

Also, do i just tell them my plan from the get? Or wait til after they activate the new phone, new line? Don't want them to get pissy.

A corporate store shouldn't care either way, because unlike a reseller their ability to keep the lights on is not dependent upon commissions paid from Verizon for setting up new lines of service. I've done it before and the dude cheerfully set everything up for me.

I just showed him the phone I wanted, said I wanted to buy it on a new line, and then I wanted to do a swap once the new line is live. "No problem," he said.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
So i went into verizon today and tried to add a line and do the switch with equipment change to my line. They totally didnt let me do it. Was this store just being stupid?

GamerMage
Sep 25, 2004
Has there been been any rumors of a Droid 5 for next year? I'd hate to give up the keyboard on a new phone.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cbear posted:

So i went into verizon today and tried to add a line and do the switch with equipment change to my line. They totally didnt let me do it. Was this store just being stupid?

Corporate store?
Double check this. As explained resellers are not obligated to do poo poo like that.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Yeah it was the corporate store. He gave me some line about not being able to switch them because of sim card's and all this other stuff.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Cbear posted:

Yeah it was the corporate store. He gave me some line about not being able to switch them because of sim card's and all this other stuff.

What?

Sim cards make it even easier for you to swap things around.

edit: has anyone heard any progress on the LG Optimus variant coming to Verizon? Last I heard they were porting a version over and calling it the Blaze, but it kind of fizzled and disappeared.

On Terra Firma fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 22, 2012

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

GamerMage posted:

Has there been been any rumors of a Droid 5 for next year? I'd hate to give up the keyboard on a new phone.

Nothing yet. Hopefully the lukewarm sales of the Droid 4 did not deter Motorola though. With Google at the helm hopefully their device releases will be smarter. Since the Droid 4 is functionally a Droid Razr with a keyboard bolted on, hopefully they'll continue being economical and make the Droid 5 a sibling of the flagship.

A pity, considering how much the original Droid just rocked all over the place.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

On Terra Firma posted:

What?

Sim cards make it even easier for you to swap things around.

edit: has anyone heard any progress on the LG Optimus variant coming to Verizon? Last I heard they were porting a version over and calling it the Blaze, but it kind of fizzled and disappeared.

Spectrum 2 is it for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Mighty Horse posted:

Spectrum 2 is it for a while.

That's really annoying. I have been waffling around what phone to get since I have an upgrade just sitting here, and my fascinate (yes, very old) is waiting to be put out to pasture. There's just...nothing that's making me excited. I don't like the designs of any of the razrs save for the M, but the display is poo poo on that compared to what else is out there.

ugggghhh so frustrating.

• Locked thread