Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Yeah, really glad I built my PC last month instead of waiting for Christmas :smugdog:

I started to panic when NewEgg sold out of the 256G 830s but luckily ncix still had them :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I'm at the point where I'm wanting to upgrade my Mobo and Cpu, I'm still on a Core2Duo, you see. However, Samsung 830s are rapidly becoming hard to find, But i know a store locally has a few. if I were to move my windows install to an SSD, and then in a month or two upgrade my Mobo, is there any way I could avoid reinstalling windows again? or would that be a bad idea? I just recently had to wipe and reinstall, after which i had to spend half a weekend reconfiguring my media shares and stuff, which isn't fun.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Win7 is actually surprisingly good about picking up new hardware, motherboards included. While there's no guarantee, I've had several computers that I've been able to transplant motherboards with and suffer no ill effects. Might be worth a shot. Also, if you keep all the install files around, you'd be surprised how quickly you can get a Windows setup back to the way you want it. The Windows transfer or migration tool may be helpful in doing that.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I've been reading some SSD tweaks pages and ran across some things I'd like to ask about. Should I really disable indexing? Is it a good idea to reduce the page file? I have 8 GB of ram and the page file is roughly around that on my current SSD. Lastly, some of the SSD pages mention something about enabling write caching? Is that a recommended thing to do?

Or is this one of those cases where if it's not broken, don't fix it?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Dude, that's all covered in the OP. No, don't do any of that.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Ryuga Death posted:

Should I really disable indexing?
No. This concept is a hold-over from first-gen JMicron and similar devices which were total poo poo in a lot of "heavy use" scenarios. Indexing will not hurt a modern SSD at all, and will still provide very useful (and fast) searches. There's basically no real reason not to have it on.

Ryuga Death posted:

Is it a good idea to reduce the page file? I have 8 GB of ram and the page file is roughly around that on my current SSD.
It depends on your workload and your system. If you have 8GB of RAM and never get close to using it all, you can probably reduce the page file without any ill effects. On the other hand, if your workload involves programs and whatnot that attempt to utilize more RAM than you have available, it can cause system crashes. I suppose you can always shrink it a bit and if you run into problems, bump it back up. But the safest option is to leave it alone.

Ryuga Death posted:

Lastly, some of the SSD pages mention something about enabling write caching? Is that a recommended thing to do?
SSDs will come with write caching enabled on Win7. Leave it that way.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I finally bit the bullet and bought a Samsung 830 256gb SSD at full price ($189) to replace my main drive that just failed. The 840 is probably a more appropriate drive for me since I mostly just use my PC for gaming and don't need blazing fast speeds, but it didn't seem like any retailers were discounting them. The 830 was only $10 more than the 840 anyway, so I don't think I'm being too unreasonable paying a bit more for an older drive with a proven record of reliability.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
How is G.Skill at SSDs?

G.Skill International Enterprise Phoenix III 120GB Solid State Drive FM-25S3-120GBP3 is an Amazon Lightning Deal in about 8 hours. Wondering what the price will be.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Thread favorite Samsung 830 256GB is on sale for $167 today at Macmall.
http://www.macmall.com/p/product~dpno~9009921~pdp.hadgfac

Free 3-day shipping but I did have to pay tax in MN for a total of $180.38

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Lakitu7 posted:

Thread favorite Samsung 830 256GB is on sale for $167 today at Macmall.
http://www.macmall.com/p/product~dpno~9009921~pdp.hadgfac

Free 3-day shipping but I did have to pay tax in MN for a total of $180.38

I noticed this the other day but it was out of stock then.

Just bought it. No tax in Texas of those that are curious.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Ryuga Death posted:

I've been reading some SSD tweaks pages and ran across some things I'd like to ask about. Should I really disable indexing?

Indexing is purely a user convenience thing. I turn it off because I rarely, if ever, search and the SSD by itself is fast enough to make up for it when I need to.

quote:

Or is this one of those cases where if it's not broken, don't fix it?

Yes, to everything else.

DrDork posted:

It depends on your workload and your system. If you have 8GB of RAM and never get close to using it all, you can probably reduce the page file without any ill effects. On the other hand, if your workload involves programs and whatnot that attempt to utilize more RAM than you have available, it can cause system crashes. I suppose you can always shrink it a bit and if you run into problems, bump it back up. But the safest option is to leave it alone.

System crashes without a page file are extremely rare. You have to get a specific set of things to occur to make it happen, for Windows 7 at least. Windows will start killing apps first. I ran just fine with 16GB and no page file and every now and then, when I would have way too many tabs open in Chrome or Flash would start leaking memory, it would kill something and I'd realize what was going on. Now that I have 32GB, I never get close to max memory and it's just not an issue.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I have 8GB and I keep a 1GB pagefile on the SSD. The only game that I remember having a problem with with no pagefile was Dawn of War 2. Only other times I've had program crashes because of no memory was Waterfox with about 650 tabs open, I changed the Waterfox settings so it uses all RAM and no disk cache, too. But when does that ever happen?

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Thanks for your advice, guys. I'll just leave everything alone then, unless I desperately need more space, then I'll change the page file as needed.

All I ever do is just browse stuff using FF, with max tabs being about 15 or so. When I play games, I always close my browser and everything else.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

NewEgg has the Sammy 840 500GB on sale for $300

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Revitalized posted:

How is G.Skill at SSDs?

G.Skill International Enterprise Phoenix III 120GB Solid State Drive FM-25S3-120GBP3 is an Amazon Lightning Deal in about 8 hours. Wondering what the price will be.

This goes on sale in about 6 minutes. No opinions?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Revitalized posted:

This goes on sale in about 6 minutes. No opinions?

It's just a generic Sandforce SF-2281 drive, so it should be fine. One benefit is that it's 7mm so you can use it in thin laptops that require it.

If it isn't $65 or less I wouldn't think of it as that great of a deal, though.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

It's just a generic Sandforce SF-2281 drive, so it should be fine. One benefit is that it's 7mm so you can use it in thin laptops that require it.

If it isn't $65 or less I wouldn't think of it as that great of a deal, though.

Yeah I saw the post in the OP saying to measure it by about 65 cents a gigabyte, but deal just went live and was claimed instantly. I was sluggish on clicking it because I doubted the price (79.99) so I don't think it was that great of a deal anyways.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Revitalized posted:

Yeah I saw the post in the OP saying to measure it by about 65 cents a gigabyte, but deal just went live and was claimed instantly. I was sluggish on clicking it because I doubted the price (79.99) so I don't think it was that great of a deal anyways.

You can get a Crucial or Samsung for $80, you made the right call.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Has anyone gotten their hands on a Mushkin Atlas mSATA drive yet?

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

This 240 GB Kingston V+200 is going on sale on UK Amazon at 20:45, the OP says V+200 drives are okay so I might be tempted if it's about £100.

b2n
Dec 29, 2005

Flipperwaldt posted:

Whenever I mention Aomei Partition Manager and someone actually tries it, they return happy, so I'm going to keep doing that.
Then I'll be the first to say that it didn't work for me. The system just won't boot from the SSD after everything's done. I have to say, the sketchy english on the website and in the menus didn't exactly instill alot of trust, either

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

back2newbelf posted:

Then I'll be the first to say that it didn't work for me. The system just won't boot from the SSD after everything's done. I have to say, the sketchy english on the website and in the menus didn't exactly instill alot of trust, either
:( Okay, I'll tone that down to "works well for some" in the future, I guess. From your description, I take it you have no specific indication of what went wrong?

I'm going to agree that the crummy translation didn't inspire a lot of confidence, but it has worked well for whatever I did with it and I've seen some positive feedback on OS migration (as I mentioned before), so I'm going to assume it's best to just look past the language issues and think your actual problem might be more complicated than ~"It's Chinese shitware". Not saying an unsupported configuration or something wouldn't be a negative mark for this software, of course.

Did you verify that the data is on the SSD, booting from your HDD? Is fixing the master boot record, booting from repair media, still a thing in Win7 (I never had to do this yet)? Did you try that? I'm just wondering where it went wrong. Won't blame you if that's all a waste of your time and you just go with another method suggested in this thread instead.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

EaseUS has the same problem with the program and directions being full of Engrish. Had the help system or website been easier to use or understand at some points I might have gotten it to work.

http://www.partition-tool.com/professional.htm

Ended up using Macrium Reflect and it worked perfect

http://www.macrium.com/

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

back2newbelf posted:

I used it to clone a few months ago and it worked like a dream in one try without anything more than changing boot order in the BIOS. Make sure you follow all the shoddy instructions thoroughly!

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
OK, I know this isn't everyone's beloved Samsung 830, but it has some stuff I like, like the SandForce 2281 (TRIM support in any goofy OS I choose to run; Mac, Linux, BSD, DOS, Windows for Workgroups 3.11, etc).

SanDisk 240 GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171568

I can get that for $69.99 locally (local sale + gift-card). Is it worth it?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

$69.99 as in you get a GC back, or you have a GC to the place that brings your cash-out-of-pocket price to $69.99?

b2n
Dec 29, 2005

Flipperwaldt posted:

:( Okay, I'll tone that down to "works well for some" in the future, I guess. From your description, I take it you have no specific indication of what went wrong?

Did you verify that the data is on the SSD, booting from your HDD? Is fixing the master boot record, booting from repair media, still a thing in Win7 (I never had to do this yet)? Did you try that? I'm just wondering where it went wrong. Won't blame you if that's all a waste of your time and you just go with another method suggested in this thread instead.
The software did the process with no complaints/errors and the data did in fact end up on the SSD, but when I tried booting from it I just got the "1234F" message at startup (yes I put in the correct boot order in the bios)
I didn't try booting from repair media though.

quote:

Make sure you follow all the shoddy instructions thoroughly!
I found it weird that in the beginning they tell you to not reboot but shotdown->redirect cables once it's done, then it just reboots on its own at the exact point it wanted you to shut the PC down.

I guess I'll try macrium now, if that doesn't work I'll just do a reinstall. Shouldn't take too long anyway

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I'm thinking about picking up this Kingston 240GB for my parents' PC; it's SF-2281 based and the price is pretty good. Same controller has been doing fine in my Vertex 3 MI, and this one isn't from OCZ so not too worried. :downs:

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

$69.99 as in you get a GC back, or you have a GC to the place that brings your cash-out-of-pocket price to $69.99?

I already have a gift card for the place. I just pay $69.99 (+ tax) out of pocket. No rebates or coupons to mess with.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

OK, I know this isn't everyone's beloved Samsung 830, but it has some stuff I like, like the SandForce 2281 (TRIM support in any goofy OS I choose to run; Mac, Linux, BSD, DOS, Windows for Workgroups 3.11, etc).

SanDisk 240 GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171568

I can get that for $69.99 locally (local sale + gift-card). Is it worth it?

I have been using 3 of them in my main gaming rig and have been very happy with them. They aren't the fastest thing out there but for the price you can't go wrong.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Xenomorph posted:

I already have a gift card for the place. I just pay $69.99 (+ tax) out of pocket. No rebates or coupons to mess with.

Ah. Well if there's nothing else there you'd use the giftcard for instead, yeah, I'd do that deal in a heartbeat.

Also, I recently discovered you can replace the optical drive in the MBP with a second hard drive, so instead of trying to spend for a 200+GB SSD I'm going to just put the existing drive in the optical bay with a $10 adapter, and get a cheaper ~100GB SSD. I just hope someone has a deal at the same price point as Newegg's BF special for the OCZ Agility 3, but not for a loving OCZ.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ah. Well if there's nothing else there you'd use the giftcard for instead, yeah, I'd do that deal in a heartbeat.

My concern was more of "is anything wrong with this particular drive?" ... firmware issues, hidden "gotchas", etc.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

movax posted:

I'm thinking about picking up this Kingston 240GB for my parents' PC; it's SF-2281 based and the price is pretty good. Same controller has been doing fine in my Vertex 3 MI, and this one isn't from OCZ so not too worried. :downs:
It is using low-spec NAND though. It's almost certainly a lot better than what OCZ would use, but it's also likely not quite as good as what would be used on an Intel SSD 330 (also rated for 3K). Whether you think that matters is up to you, personally I wouldn't accept the risk of a reduced endurance drive that wasn't from a NAND manufacturer.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Alereon posted:

It is using low-spec NAND though. It's almost certainly a lot better than what OCZ would use, but it's also likely not quite as good as what would be used on an Intel SSD 330 (also rated for 3K). Whether you think that matters is up to you, personally I wouldn't accept the risk of a reduced endurance drive that wasn't from a NAND manufacturer.

Yeah, it's a bit lower-spec, but it shouldn't see all that much usage (especially compared to the worst case tests that Anand does), so I'm not that concerned about it. I have their machine completely setup with Crashplan and rsync too, so even if the worst happens, should be quick to get up and running.

Now I just have to get my pawns on some 256GB 830 Pros for myself and I'll be good for awhile yet.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Do I want a 256GB drive and have to dance the Steam Shuffle or do I want a 512GB drive for double the price? More specifically, how much space do you want to leave free on a non-sandforce drive (the Samsung 830) in Win7 (so with TRIM)?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I'm cross-posting this from the upgrade megathead but I want to get a 240GB or 256GB SSD for my main gaming rig (2500K/8GB/HD7850). The HDD I have in it now is over four years old and lately Win7 is starting to chug on it. My question is what would be the best bang for the buck? I'm thinking about getting one of these since its on sale:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167127

So...get this one or something else? Thanks in advance.

Edit: I would get a 520 series drive but I don't want to spend twice as much for a slightly faster drive.

Edit: nevermind, I ordered one of the Samsung 830 256GB drives from MacMall.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 22, 2012

The1DevoidoName
Dec 3, 2004
A blackgaurd whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be.
In the same vein as above, is there any reason to get the SAMSUNG 840 250 GB over the SAMSUNG 830 256 GB?

smax
Nov 9, 2009

The1DevoidoName posted:

In the same vein as above, is there any reason to get the SAMSUNG 840 250 GB over the SAMSUNG 830 256 GB?

At this time, I'd say no. The 830 is closer to the 840 Pro than it is the 840. Add to that the uncertainty with a new product and some dead drives from testers... I'd get the 830. In fact, there's one in the mail to me right now.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

The1DevoidoName posted:

Like it says in the OP, do not buy the Samsung 840. It's new, it's the first drive using a new type of Flash memory, so if you buy it you are taking an exceptional risk.

Edit: I made some tweaks to the OP to raise the increase the noticeability of the Samsung warning and to add the recent changes in endurance to that section, it needs a revamp though.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Alereon posted:

Like it says in the OP, do not buy the Samsung 840. It's new, it's the first drive using a new type of Flash memory, so if you buy it you are taking an exceptional risk.

Edit: I made some tweaks to the OP to raise the increase the noticeability of the Samsung warning and to add the recent changes in endurance to that section, it needs a revamp though.
It's not just a good idea to avoid it because it's new, it's a good idea to avoid it because several review units have failed. 830 is an exceptional drive, and most everyone here that owns one (me, too) have been very happy with them.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2282016

• Locked thread