Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
The characters in Persona 2 are amazing though, so play it just for the story and you'll be satisfied.

On another note, FFFFFFFFFUCK the last boss of Persona 3. I'd forgotten just how much of a punch in the dick it can be when you lose near the tail-end of the fight. It's an hour loving long and the last form can just take Thunder Reigns like they were nothing. Ugh.

Do I spend tonight grinding...or go back and try and beat Persona 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's nowhere near as annoying as a Charmed Diarahan when the boss is almost out of HP. :v:

...I am so glad that has never happened to me.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

RentCavalier posted:

The characters in Persona 2 are amazing though, so play it just for the story and you'll be satisfied.

On another note, FFFFFFFFFUCK the last boss of Persona 3. I'd forgotten just how much of a punch in the dick it can be when you lose near the tail-end of the fight. It's an hour loving long and the last form can just take Thunder Reigns like they were nothing. Ugh.

What this guy said. Maya, Katsuya and Yukino :syoon: are some of my favorite characters in the Megaten series.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Arbitrary Coin posted:

What this guy said. Maya, Katsuya and Yukino :syoon: are some of my favorite characters in the Megaten series.

Baofu. :colbert:

Or if we are sticking just with IS, then Eikichi is pretty dope. Plus the afore-mentioned Yukino.

But I love all the different rumor-mongers too. It'll be fun to play P2 once I beat Persona 1, so I can get more of the callbacks.

Edit: gently caress almost forgot, you get to hang out with a Kuzanoah in the P2 games! That alone should encourage people to play 'em.

RentCavalier fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 22, 2012

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

RentCavalier posted:

What level are you? I found that just dicking with levels until you can fuse something that resists Charm was enough. For reference I put the game down for a full year (like, went and beat P4 and came back) because of that fight.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

vanov posted:

What level are you? I found that just dicking with levels until you can fuse something that resists Charm was enough. For reference I put the game down for a full year (like, went and beat P4 and came back) because of that fight.

Funny enough, it wasn't Charm that got me, I just made a mistake and didn't throw up my defense-boost in time. I'm playing on Hard mode, so everything hurts extra fresh.

Currently I'm level 75. My party is Aigis (73), Ken (74) and Koromaru (74). I'm doing some grinding to try and fuse the highest Persona I can before I start using up all these spell cards I've been hoarding. I got him to the very last legs, but he spammed Night Gown or whatever and slaughtered me.

I really need some Almighty attacks, so I can hurt him more effectively. Thunder Reign does less than 300 damage to him even when Mind Charged AND with a Tarukaja on top.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

RentCavalier posted:

Or if we are sticking just with IS, then Eikichi is pretty dope. Plus the afore-mentioned Yukino.

But I love all the different rumor-mongers too. It'll be fun to play P2 once I beat Persona 1, so I can get more of the callbacks.

Edit: gently caress almost forgot, you get to hang out with a Kuzanoah in the P2 games! That alone should encourage people to play 'em.

Oh yeah, those guys too! Boafu was a great example of how to create a dude with long hair that is still undoubtedly a dude :v: Shut up, I had to limit myself before listing every damned character

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I always found that the best way to fight bosses in P3 when just hitting the triangle button and hoping for crits. Of course, I played on Normal and tended to grind too much in Tartarus. My party was in the high 80s when I decided to actually start fighting everyone on the last day.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

RentCavalier posted:

Funny enough, it wasn't Charm that got me, I just made a mistake and didn't throw up my defense-boost in time. I'm playing on Hard mode, so everything hurts extra fresh.

Currently I'm level 75. My party is Aigis (73), Ken (74) and Koromaru (74). I'm doing some grinding to try and fuse the highest Persona I can before I start using up all these spell cards I've been hoarding. I got him to the very last legs, but he spammed Night Gown or whatever and slaughtered me.

I really need some Almighty attacks, so I can hurt him more effectively. Thunder Reign does less than 300 damage to him even when Mind Charged AND with a Tarukaja on top.

I just can't imagine that going with Almighty will be forgiving of your SP, you know? But it sounds like you're almost there!

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Well, grinding up to level 83 and getting Satan with Black Viper did the trick. He never even used Nightwish Bidet or whatever his special killer attack was, so whatevs.

This was the closest I've come to getting a max S-link run, managing everybody except Yukari (Level 9! :argh:) the Sun guy and the Fortune S-link.

In fact, can anyone tell me how you are supposed to max Fortune in P3P the girl's path? It leveled up twice automatically and then never again.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

RentCavalier posted:

Well, grinding up to level 83 and getting Satan with Black Viper did the trick. He never even used Nightwish Bidet or whatever his special killer attack was, so whatevs.

This was the closest I've come to getting a max S-link run, managing everybody except Yukari (Level 9! :argh:) the Sun guy and the Fortune S-link.

In fact, can anyone tell me how you are supposed to max Fortune in P3P the girl's path? It leveled up twice automatically and then never again.

You need to hang out with him at every opportunity. The link just ends if you miss one.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Strange Quark posted:

You need to hang out with him at every opportunity. The link just ends if you miss one.

What a gyp. Ah well.

Man, I'd forgotten how loving apocalyptic P3's ending is. I'd forgotten that Nyx is supposed to be the moon. Which...wait a second, does that mean that Nyx has always been the moon? Or just the Dark Hour moon? Ahhhhh!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Oh yeah, those guys too! Boafu was a great example of how to create a dude with long hair that is still undoubtedly a dude :v: Shut up, I had to limit myself before listing every damned character

I think short haired Baufu looked cooler but he's an awesome dude either way. The entire P2 EP cast is the best.

My favorite moment was when you find out that Katsuya wanted to be a pastry chef.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Radish posted:

pastry chef.

That's Patissier! :argh:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Radish posted:

I think short haired Baufu looked cooler but he's an awesome dude either way. The entire P2 EP cast is the best.

My favorite moment was when you find out that Katsuya wanted to be a pastry chef.

It's even cuter when you find out why he wanted to become one; in an interview with the writer, he said that Katsuya used to love making Fruche (a kind of fruit pudding dessert) for Tatsuya when they were kids and liked making his brother happy. Katsuya is the most adorable character in the series.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

RentCavalier posted:

Or if we are sticking just with IS, then Eikichi is the best character in persona History.

It seems you missed something, but I fixed your post.

Seriously though, baofu's pretty cool and I hope if there's P2 characters in DLC/sequel for P4:Arena he makes it in. Flicking coins at people till they die would be so fun.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I miss Eikichi, that kid probably turned out pretty psychotic if the P3 Trish TV interview is anything to go by. Narcissistic violent sushi chef visual kei rock star? He'd probably fit right in with the P4A crowd with his El Mariachi machine gun and some knives.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Policenaut posted:

I miss Eikichi, that kid probably turned out pretty psychotic if the P3 Trish TV interview is anything to go by. Narcissistic violent sushi chef visual kei rock star? He'd probably fit right in with the P4A crowd with his El Mariachi machine gun and some knives.

Dear P4:A Developers please make this happen, tia.

Though to be honest I wouldn't want Eikichi in by himself. I mean he is the best character, but he only really shines when he has a crew to work off of (Tatsuya to be the serious, almost angry straightman to Michel's antics, Lisa to argue with, etc).

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

Policenaut posted:

I miss Eikichi, that kid probably turned out pretty amazingif the P3 Trish TV interview is anything to go by. Narcissistic violent sushi chef visual kei rock star? He'd probably fit right in with the P4A crowd with his El Mariachi machine gun and some knives.
Fixed that :colbert: Though I personally liked it since it meant he managed to To pursue his own dreams while till following in his dad's foot steps which is downright :unsmith: especially considering how bleak P2 can get

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Dear P4:A Developers please make this happen, tia.

Though to be honest I wouldn't want Eikichi in by himself. I mean he is the best character, but he only really shines when he has a crew to work off of (Tatsuya to be the serious, almost angry straightman to Michel's antics, Lisa to argue with, etc).

and Maya to be the trolling/teasing but still caring big sister! Who occasionally breaks into buildings and arranges one sided conversations (talk to Boafu after the bar scene in P2:EP) Yes I know this wouldnt work. Shut Up!

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
My god P3P is making GBS threads me. I am literally stuck in the game because I keep dying all the drat time! I'm only lvl 14 and haven't passed floor 25. The main story is also kicking my rear end.

I feel so tempted not to bother with this game and move onto p4g.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Ingram posted:

My god P3P is making GBS threads me. I am literally stuck in the game because I keep dying all the drat time! I'm only lvl 14 and haven't passed floor 25. The main story is also kicking my rear end.

I feel so tempted not to bother with this game and move onto p4g.

Keep at it! The early game is tough since you have a limited party, but the main storyline bosses are really easy up front, so if you are having trouble in Tartarus, wait for the exp boosts from those first.

What's your party like? Are you fusing Personas regularly? Are you keeping in mind what skills you need to complement your party members? Don't double up on weaknesses and don't be afraid to fuse often and regularly. P4's early game is a touch harder than P3's, so you may want to get a grasp for the systems in place before moving on. Also P3P is a really good game and I' dlike people to beat it.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Also, don't be like my girlfriend, who suffers from what I call "Pokemon Syndrome"; that is, the compulsion to level up every demon you create. Most personas are not viable long-term until the end-game, so as you level up you should constantly be fusing up to personas your level. Also RC gave some really good advice. Make sure to have a team that covers all the basic elements, or at the bare minimum the ones your party members don't have.

Are you making full use of the knockdown/all-out-attack feature? Those will be your bread and butter for most common fights.

Also, as the above guy mentioned, the combat systems between P3p and P4g are pretty similar, so if it's giving you trouble now I don't think that's a good reason to jump games.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 23, 2012

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I made this post in another thread by mistake.

JackDarko posted:

This isn't about Persona 4 but it is about Persona, 2 specifically. Is there any hope of Persona 2 Eternal Punishment PSP coming to the US or should I give up hope?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

JackDarko posted:

I made this post in another thread by mistake.

There's definitely a possibility. Atlus USA might not end up releasing a physical copy of the game, but if they do translate it, it'll more than likely be digital. Now I'm one of those people who prefers discs, but I'd happy to get EP in any good updated form. You have to remember the game did come out this year in May in Japan, so Atlus USA has had to put heavy duty work into getting P4A on a shorter release date from the JP version and P4G out there.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 25, 2012

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I'm late to the party on this but, after the Wii U launched, someone accidentally hacked it and accessed a mock up debug menu, or something. For whatever reason, Soul Hackers was listed on it, along with several other games:

ZDnet.com posted:

For Wii U fans, the interesting element of the breach is that one message the user was able to view said "there would be big games coming out (announced?) on the 10th of December." Speculation on the thread suggests that two game titles that are starred on the list, "Yoshi's Land Wii U" and "Soul Hackers" -- potentially a successor to Konami's Metal Gear series -- may be related to the developer message.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Wasn't that accidental hacking revealed to be a hoax? I'd take that news with a grain of salt.

EDIT: Whoops, my reading comprehension was off.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Nov 25, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Like Turnip posted, Nintendo said that what was accessed was a mock up menu and not a legit menu. It happened, but it didn't reflect a real thing Nintendo had going.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Mostly I just wanted to post that quote, because "Soul Hackers" -- potentially a successor to Konami's Metal Gear series is a thing that actually appeared in an article and I find that incredibly funny.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

My first Persona game was Persona 4. I beat it, thoroughly enjoyed it, and am now replaying it in Golden. However, my purchase of a Vita has made me curious about Persona 3. I hear nothing but praise for it.

The choice would have obvious a week ago, but now that I have a Vita I'm not so sure. As a first time player of Persona 3 should I go for FES (which would be played on the PS2 emulator on PC, if that matters, as my PS2 is busted) or Persona 3 Portable? I've read up on some of the changes but I can't decide :(. Are things like the lack of 3d scenes going to be something I'm likely to notice my first time through or is the visual novel element done well enough? Do they feature the same amount of voice?

I'd almost certainly play as the male if I did go P3P since the female character sounds like something for returning players. I'd mostly be playing for the story so I don't necessarily care about whatever optional dungeon FES adds.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 27, 2012

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Just play P3P and look up the cutscenes on youtube, as well as well as a playthrough of The Answer from FES.

Some scenes lose quite a bit of punch with the VN style but P3P is just better overall honestly.

E: The biggest thing besides some scenes not having as much of a punch is being unable to choose what weapon type you use but it's not that big of a deal.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

Sankis posted:

My first Persona game was Persona 4. I beat it, thoroughly enjoyed it, and am now replaying it in Golden. However, my purchase of a Vita has made me curious about Persona 3. I hear nothing but praise for it.

The choice would have obvious a week ago, but now that I have a Vita I'm not so sure. As a first time player of Persona 3 should I go for FES (which would be played on the PS2 emulator on PC, if that matters, as my PS2 is busted) or Persona 3 Portable? I've read up on some of the changes but I can't decide :(. Are things like the lack of 3d scenes going to be something I'm likely to notice my first time through or is the visual novel element done well enough? Do they feature the same amount of voice?

I'd almost certainly play as the male if I did go P3P since the female character sounds like something for returning players. I'd mostly be playing for the story so I don't necessarily care about whatever optional dungeon FES adds.

Female Side has you being less of a horrible enabler and heartless wo/manizer. Keep that in mind

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Female Side has you being less of a horrible enabler and heartless wo/manizer. Keep that in mind

Is the male character being awful deliberate or a result of poor writing?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Some scenes lose quite a bit of punch with the VN style but P3P is just better overall honestly.

Do you have any examples, out of curiosity? I'm guessing things that would require more of a visual reveal or whatever?

I'll probably get P3P. I was probably just kidding myself about FES, anyway. I could buy P3P right NOW and start playing it in 20 minutes unlike FES where i'd have to order it and wait. Plus the PS2 emulator is kind of a pain in the rear end to set up from scratch.

Edit: Atlus should remake Nocturne for the Vita. God, that game.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 27, 2012

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

Sankis posted:

More like its pretty clear that Atlus were pretty inexperienced with writing these things, so a lot of them make it seem like the lead is some sort of combnation between enabler and bad luck magnet. Not to mention to advance some of the options you have to pick are kinda...skeevy.

Also, you are forced to go the romantic path with every single female social link of the appropriate age so...

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Sankis posted:

Do you have any examples, out of curiosity? I'm guessing things that would require more of a visual reveal or whatever?

(Spoilers, sort of but I've removed character names and context)Someone takes a blow for someone else in a scene you see, and in the PS2 version it is completely acted out and you see it all happen where in P3P you just see two heads and action text.

Also all the cutscenes are gone and replaced with still images.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The opening of the game is a good example too. The PS2 version is the MC getting off a train and arriving at the dorm completely animated, while the PSP version just has a couple of backdrops describing the scene.

E: Like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6UtqoYWjIEPS2 version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlN5X42SSEA P3P version (Watch till the name entry)

Dehry fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 27, 2012

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Maaaan, now you guys are going to make me play through FES. Not like I need an excuse for ANOTHER run through Persona 3...

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Dehry posted:

The opening of the game is a good example too. The PS2 version is the MC getting off a train and arriving at the dorm completely animated, while the PSP version just has a couple of backdrops describing the scene.

E: Like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6UtqoYWjIEPS2 version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlN5X42SSEA P3P version (Watch till the name entry)

Man, that's really disappointing to see but on the other hand it's not as bad as I expected.

Thanks for the info. I'll be grabbing P3P and just checking out the full scenes online.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Sankis posted:

I'll probably get P3P. I was probably just kidding myself about FES, anyway. I could buy P3P right NOW and start playing it in 20 minutes unlike FES where i'd have to order it and wait. Plus the PS2 emulator is kind of a pain in the rear end to set up from scratch.

Edit: Atlus should remake Nocturne for the Vita. God, that game.

You can buy FES on the PSN store for 10 bucks and play it on the vita, getting the best of both worlds :D

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Fluffdaddy posted:

You can buy FES on the PSN store for 10 bucks and play it on the vita, getting the best of both worlds :D

You can't play PS2 games on the Vita though, the Vita plays PS1, minis, and certain PS3 games that are cross-system (rare).

If you have a Vita I'd grab P3P, you miss out on the cutscenes but you also get the Girl's side which is different enough to warrant a replay.

Also PSP games scale up perfectly on the Vita, they look like slightly grainy Vita games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sankis posted:

Man, that's really disappointing to see but on the other hand it's not as bad as I expected.

Thanks for the info. I'll be grabbing P3P and just checking out the full scenes online.

On the other hand, most of the animated cutscenes in the PS2 version were poorly drawn. The lack of 3D environments outside of Tartarus are unfortunate, but the animation was clearly done on a low budget and is nothing to lament losing. P4, in that regard, wasn't much better. Golden finally got whole new proper cutscenes, probably because they were already working with a studio on a full anime series.