Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Can you find Paperwhites in stores anywhere?

I want the one with wifi but not 3G, listed around 119USD. I've seen the 3g version in stores at 179USD but the stores that carry the wifi PW (Best Buy etc.) are always out of that model.

I even had Best Buy steer me towards one of their stores, drove to that store and there they told me they had one but it was reserved for someone else.

Ordering from Amazon seems to show I shouldn't expected to get it sooner than in time for Christmas. Any better leads on getting it from a store?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Crackbone posted:

How's the battery life on the Paperwhite? My mother is claiming hers drains far faster than her Touch, like needing a recharge every few days vs once a week. I told her to report it to Amazon, because they're claiming same or better battery life on the PW.

What light level does she use?

Amazon's battery claim for the Paperwhite is 8 weeks at 30 minutes of use per day with wifi off and light at level 10 (out of 24). That's 28 hours of actual use.
Their claim for the Touch was 8 weeks at 30 minutes a day and wifi off and of course no light at all. That's also 28 hours of actual use.

In my personal experience, with wifi ON and the light at 4 which is what I use, and reading for 2.5 hours a night, it goes two weeks between charges. That's 35 hours of actual use time, but of course much less standby. YMMV.

Zwabu posted:

Ordering from Amazon seems to show I shouldn't expected to get it sooner than in time for Christmas. Any better leads on getting it from a store?

Amazon is conservative in those estimates. People get told it'll take 4 weeks to arrive but it ends up being 2 weeks or less. If you order now, you should get it before December.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
I want a PW so bad. I keep hoping that my K4 will break. Today I was hoping it was broke when I closed the trunk lid on it by accident.

It still worked. :(

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

Crackbone posted:

How's the battery life on the Paperwhite? My mother is claiming hers drains far faster than her Touch, like needing a recharge every few days vs once a week. I told her to report it to Amazon, because they're claiming same or better battery life on the PW.

Is her wifi on?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I leave my wifi on 24/7 and the light is on at 14 when I read (I have basically never adjusted it from 14). I went a week before I said "hmm I guess I'd better charge this" and I was just paranoid because I was at like 1/2 battery left. Realistically I could probably have read for another week on it, but I literally wasn't sure what to expect w/r/t battery drain so I went ahead and popped on the charging cable (I'm used to my old old iPhone 3G implying "hey you've got 1/2 battery left, you've got basically 30 minutes to get to a charging cable!!")

My understanding is that if you turn off wifi and only read 30 minutes a day then the battery will behave like Amazon describes, but being less anal about it I would say you can still get a week of off and on reading before you even start to think about charging.

This is also my first kindle so I don't have anything in terms of evidence other than what I've read online.

Personally I'm never in a position to not charge a device every few days so I leave my wifi on. I much prefer the convenience of sending poo poo to my Kindle and it just being there when I turn it on next, rather than having it poll the network for updates manually.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 16, 2012

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Sperg Victorious posted:

I want a PW so bad. I keep hoping that my K4 will break. Today I was hoping it was broke when I closed the trunk lid on it by accident.

It still worked. :(

How about you give it to someone who won't take it for granted instead?

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Dice Dice Baby posted:

How about you give it to someone who won't take it for granted instead?

:rolleyes:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Has anyone given the Kobo Glo a try? My Touch has been acting up on me, so I'm considering an upgrade. And not having to mess around with clip on lights anymore is tempting...

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

YggiDee posted:

Has anyone given the Kobo Glo a try? My Touch has been acting up on me, so I'm considering an upgrade. And not having to mess around with clip on lights anymore is tempting...

Bought one last week. Compared to the touch, nothing much has changed aside from getting rid of the home button and adding the light and light button (I haven't checked the specs, but it seems very slightly heavier than the touch, but still lighter and smaller than my kindle touch). The light is great, although the lowest setting is still too bright (at least for me). The light off button is useful. If your choice is paying to upgrade from working touch, it probably isn't worth it. But upgrading from a wonky touch, you'll get a lot out of the reading light.

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007
I was all of history's great robot actors. Acting Unit 0.8. Thespomat. David Duchovny!

YggiDee posted:

It's faster than my old Kobo Touch (has a faster processor). The screen resolution increase is much nicer and has almost completely removed the ghosting of the old Pearl display. Love the light. If you're reading in pitch black in bed at night the lowest light setting is sometimes too much.

The Glo is almost 1cm shorter than th Touch (0.8cm) and weighs the same as the touch @ 6.5 oz.

I can't be 100% sure but I think the Glo is also a tad better on battery life even when you're running the light a decent amount.

Lady Xava
Dec 1, 2006

YggiDee posted:

I just bought a Glo last week. Upgraded from a Sony Pocket. I really like it.

I found the page turns fast even with refresh set to every page. Love love love having the light. So much better then having a separate led attached to my cover.

I haven't used the kobo touch before so I have no idea how much of an upgrade it would be. But if yours is having issues I'd say go for it. After using a front lit eink I wouldn't go back to a non lit. They also sell the on/off covers for the Glo.

Not a huge fan of kobo's pc software doesn't do much and I miss being able to customize my screen saver. I'll probably give caliber a try. I really wish I could download books from my library over wifi.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Crackbone posted:

I don't think it's as good as my Kindle Keyboard but I'm certainly getting more than a week out of it.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"
If you're using Kindlegen to turn your epubs into KF8, here's a handy batch file to make kindlegen convert everything at once:
code:
for %%i in (*.epub) do @echo kindlegen "%%~ni.epub" -c1 -o "%%~ni.mobi" >> "kgbatch.bat"
CALL kgbatch.bat
@echo off
DEL kgbatch.bat
You can copy this into a text editor and save it as a batch (.bat) file in the same folder as the kindlegen executable, along with the epubs you want converted. Then you run the batch file and kindlegen will convert them all one by one.

It works by creating a secondary batch file with the commands
kindlegen book1.epub -c1 -o book1.mobi
kindlegen book2.epub -c1 -o book2.mobi
...and so forth, then it deletes that batch file

e: VVVVV yeah, I know, but KP only converts one file at a time (and its previewer never works for me)

Dice Dice Baby fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 17, 2012

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
You can also use KindlePreviewer if you want to use KindleGen with a GUI. It's quite handy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000765261

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

I've been studying up on ereaders lately, trying to find the best solution for my wife. We live in the UK, but she's Japanese, and I'd love to be able to find her an ereader that can allow her access to both English and Japanese ebook stores and allow her to switch the interface language if she feels like it.

Is it possible to do that with a Kindle Paperwhite? Would I have to do something annoying like order one in from Japan? Or is Kobo and its Rakuten heritage more functional in that way? I've been finding it quite hard to get much in the way of confirmation if this type of thing is even possible.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

thorsilver posted:

I've been studying up on ereaders lately, trying to find the best solution for my wife. We live in the UK, but she's Japanese, and I'd love to be able to find her an ereader that can allow her access to both English and Japanese ebook stores and allow her to switch the interface language if she feels like it.

Is it possible to do that with a Kindle Paperwhite? Would I have to do something annoying like order one in from Japan? Or is Kobo and its Rakuten heritage more functional in that way? I've been finding it quite hard to get much in the way of confirmation if this type of thing is even possible.

Anecdotally speaking, my own gf is Chinese and the K4 displays Chinese hanzi with no issues. However there really isn't much in the way of Chinese books in the kindle store. She ends up getting most books from Chinese sites in epub or txt and just converting. I assume Japanese would work similarly.

E: the menu is English only though (well, at least no Chinese)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I know I've been shilling for the PW a lot in this thread, but Amazon is about to release the PW in Japan from what I understand, and the extra resolution on the new screen is supposed to be great with kanji, etc.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Hmm... So the Kindle Paperwhite sounds possibly good then.

The unresolved question then is whether the JP Kindle Store will have some ridiculous region-locking or payment restrictions, in line with so many other Japanese services that make themselves totally unusable outside Japan.

Anybody know if the Kobo store works for Japanese books outside Japan? Apparently they have a slightly better selection of Japanese books at the moment, so it seems to be worth checking.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This particular question might be better suited to a dedicated site like mobileread.com. I'm not saying nobody here can answer that question, but I think you'll probably get more people with firsthand experience there.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Martytoof posted:

This particular question might be better suited to a dedicated site like mobileread.com. I'm not saying nobody here can answer that question, but I think you'll probably get more people with firsthand experience there.

You're right, and the news is not good, according to this thread:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194529

The answer is, basically, Japanese ebook stores seem to be locked to Japanese IPs, just as I feared. So much for that idea.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm sure there's ways around that, depending on how much work you want to put into it. You can probably find a proxy or vpn service, but paying for that probably isn't something you're looking to do.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

thorsilver posted:

You're right, and the news is not good, according to this thread:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194529

The answer is, basically, Japanese ebook stores seem to be locked to Japanese IPs, just as I feared. So much for that idea.

I don't think this is true for the Amazon Kindle Store. As some of the commenters on that link mentioned, if you create an account at Amazon.jp (make sure the account uses a Japanese physical address, which shouldn't be a problem, particularly as your wife is Japanese) you can link it (use the same email address) to your other account and purchase via both websites, even using the same credit card for purchases. Your Kindle ebooks should still be pushed to your Kindle devices. You can test this from the U.K. by creating an Amazon.jp account and "buying" a free Kindle ebook (public domain or whatnot) to try via their PC client.

I'm in Japan and juggle digital downloads through Amazon.com/Amazon.jp all the time and have never had a problem.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

petewhitley posted:

I don't think this is true for the Amazon Kindle Store. As some of the commenters on that link mentioned, if you create an account at Amazon.jp (make sure the account uses a Japanese physical address, which shouldn't be a problem, particularly as your wife is Japanese) you can link it (use the same email address) to your other account and purchase via both websites, even using the same credit card for purchases. Your Kindle ebooks should still be pushed to your Kindle devices. You can test this from the U.K. by creating an Amazon.jp account and "buying" a free Kindle ebook (public domain or whatnot) to try via their PC client.

I'm in Japan and juggle digital downloads through Amazon.com/Amazon.jp all the time and have never had a problem.

Ah, right... I still have a JP Amazon account from my time there, so I'll certainly give that a try!

She's got a Japanese credit card so that should work fine, I guess I was too easily discouraged here.

Thanks, will edit in my findings later :)

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I'm really blown away by the official case for the paperwhite. I say this as someone who's always thought that a $30 case for a $150 device was highway robbery - this case is awesome and worth every penny.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

I'm really blown away by the official case for the paperwhite. I say this as someone who's always thought that a $30 case for a $150 device was highway robbery - this case is awesome and worth every penny.
Yeah, it's really nice. It feels like it should have been part of it.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, it's really nice. It feels like it should have been part of it.

Agreed. I was worried that upgrading to the PW from a slight-beat-up-but-working-fine Touch was a bit extravagant, but I really love the slightly-higher res, the backlighting (even with the spottiness at the bottom of the screen, which is still much less annoying than the uneven top-lighting of the old case light with the Touch), it LOOKS much better than the Touch (seriously, the industrial design on this thing is nice as hell)... the case is the topper. I haven't touched the power button once since first turning it on when I got it thanks to the handy as poo poo "close cover, Kindle goes to sleep" feature.

Charge, for what it's worth, has been about the same as the Touch, unscientifically observed.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What's the best way to clean a paperwhite screen? The only downside to a matte display with a touch interface is that it builds up gunk. Even two weeks into my Pw I can see fingerprints and things on it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Martytoof posted:

What's the best way to clean a paperwhite screen? The only downside to a matte display with a touch interface is that it builds up gunk. Even two weeks into my Pw I can see fingerprints and things on it.

I use http://www.amazon.com/Zeiss-Pre-Moistened-Lens-Cloths-Wipes/dp/B0030E4UIQ

Edit: I use these, besides cleaning the kindle, to clean my glasses, and my phone and my tablet, and my camera lenses and my computer screens. You get them real cheap and they work really well.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 21, 2012

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I just use a little bit of dish soap on a damp rag, and a dry rag for wiping it off.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I checked out a book from my local library for my kindle. It is a 2 week lend. If I do not access the wi-fi, is there any way the book can be removed? I just want to finish the book, but I was wondering if I really needed to check it out again.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I checked out a book from my local library for my kindle. It is a 2 week lend. If I do not access the wi-fi, is there any way the book can be removed? I just want to finish the book, but I was wondering if I really needed to check it out again.

My experience with my library is that if you keep your Kindle offline, it won't be able to sync and it won't know that your book is supposed to be removed until you go back online with it.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

The rear end Stooge posted:

I just use a little bit of dish soap on a damp rag, and a dry rag for wiping it off.

That is a Bad Idea. I wouldn't use any kind of soap on any kind of screen, even e-ink.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Michael Scott posted:

That is a Bad Idea. I wouldn't use any kind of soap on any kind of screen, even e-ink.

I've been doing it to my laptops for years with no noticeable ill effects.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is alcoholammonia-based cleaners (like windex) that can take some screen coatings off. Diluted soap shouldn't hurt anything I think.

withak fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 24, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sorry, forgot to report back. i just used a rag that I dampened then wrung out completely. Worked great even without soap.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

withak posted:

It is alcohol-based cleaners (like windex) that can take some screen coatings off. Diluted soap shouldn't hurt anything I think.

I'm pretty sure it's ammonia-based cleaners you need to worry about. I've been using straight 95% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol on all my LCDs for years with no ill effects.

edit: Just looked it up, ethyl alcohol (booze) is bad, isopropyl is fine. Dilution is recommended but not required.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 23, 2012

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I got a new job, so I treated myself to a new KoboGlo. Coming off a bought-at-launch PRS-300, this thing is :swoon: Time to pick up a replacement Tuff Luv case. Hopefully they still make them in napa leather because the case I bouught from them for my PRS-300 was, to quote most people who caressed it, "erotic".

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 24, 2012

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

wolrah posted:

I'm pretty sure it's ammonia-based cleaners you need to worry about. I've been using straight 95% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol on all my LCDs for years with no ill effects.

edit: Just looked it up, ethyl alcohol (booze) is bad, isopropyl is fine. Dilution is recommended but not required.

Yeah, ammonia is what I meant. Apparently I am preoccupied with alcohol.

Prions!
Jun 30, 2010
I want to get a mains charger for my Kindle, but the Amazon one is far too expensive. Will any usb charger do? UK by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Prions! posted:

I want to get a mains charger for my Kindle, but the Amazon one is far too expensive. Will any usb charger do? UK by the way.

Yeah, I use all of my USB chargers interchangeably with my kindle/phone. Never had a problem.