Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
What was the USSR supposed to use FROG-7s for, anyway, just randomly terrorizing civilians? They're not accurate enough to be used against military targets to any great effect and the launch vehicles seem pretty vunerable considering their short range.

I mean I think that's what the Afghan remnant forces and the Iraqis used them for, how about a real army?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

What was the USSR supposed to use FROG-7s for, anyway

Nuke poo poo.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

What was the USSR supposed to use FROG-7s for, anyway, just randomly terrorizing civilians? They're not accurate enough to be used against military targets to any great effect and the launch vehicles seem pretty vunerable considering their short range.

I mean I think that's what the Afghan remnant forces and the Iraqis used them for, how about a real army?

Chemical/biological/nuclear weapons or shooting a bunch of them at large targets like runways/ports/any sort of base.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Yup, all of the above. Three things to point out: when you are talking about large Cold War in Europe type military targets, 500-700 CEP is more than accurate enough to target a facility like an airbase or port. No, you can't expect to fire three missiles and simultaneously destroy the command post, POL tank farm, and intersection of the runways, but if you bombard a normal sized air base with those the base is going to have a bad day.

As far as being vulnerable, remember this is the Cold War going hot we are talking about here...relatively cheap FROG launchers being considered expendable wouldn't have been much more than a drop in the bucket considering the damage they could do fired in any sort of significant number.

And regarding terrorizing civilians, if the Soviets came through the Fulda Gap it's not like the German populace would've just stood still and remained calm. The more terror the Soviets could strike into the civilian populace the more they could hinder NATO operations to stop the advance.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

iyaayas01 posted:

The more terror the Soviets could strike into the civilian populace the more they could hinder NATO operations to stop the advance.

Gen. Sir Garry Johnson posted:

I remember very vividly going to see a mobilisation division of the Volksarmee – three days after unification – which, and somebody said it round the table, was perfectly prepared, perfectly well planned. The deployment procedures were worked out, and it then went to its concentration area, and I said to its divisional chief of staff , “What were your battle plans?” He said, “I don’t know. But no doubt the chief of staff would have told the general when we reached the deployment area.” “Very good”, I said. “What did you train for?” “The advance and the attack.” So with regard to the concept of unit replacement, I understood that this division was trained for one thing only.

If you had stopped it, the inflexibility of the system would have required it to be removed and replaced at divisional level. And then, I think to myself, how would that have happened in a situation where the roads were clogged up, where FOFA was going on, where the A-10s were up in the air doing some strikes? And, even if you had got that wreck of a division out of the way and pushed another one through, how would you get through roads in West Germany clogged with refugees, farm lorries, broken down trucks, the whole lot? So my question I think is, were we play-acting at the end of this game? Was this all just sort of dreams that people had on maps? Was the reality in all this that no plan survives the first shock of war and we would have bogged down within about ten days? Seven days? Five days? If that had happened, what then would we have done about the nuclear if we hadn’t started off with it?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Wasn't WWIII expected to go:

1) Cross Fulda gap
2) Get nuked
3) Nuke back
4) Welp?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
The Fulda river valley was just another potential battlefield next to a more than 6000km-long frontline across only one of multiple continents where poo poo could have gone down. All this over a 45 year period where allegiances, strengths and intentions shifted in some major ways. You need to anchor your what ifs both in time and place to provide meaningful insights.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I think I read an article recently that said the Czechoslovakian People's Army's job in WWIII was to march into the nuclear wasteland that used to be Bavaria and occupy it for... something?

At the heart of the matter I think most Cold War strategists, most of whom had probably fought in WWII, organized large land armies as a matter of habit. Those habits were tempered by the knowledge of how useless large formations of tanks and infantry would be in the next war, but what else could they do? They had to play the game because the reality was so much more horrific.

Edit: OK it wasn't so recent a find, but here

Soviet plan for WW3 nuclear attack unearthed

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.
One must also consider the iron law of bureaucracy. Whatever the goals of the organization, if the goals of the people in key positions of an organization are advanced by a course of action, that course will be taken. Thus, if promotions and prestige come from commanding a large army, then plans will be drawn up that require large armies.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Scratch Monkey posted:

I think I read an article recently that said the Czechoslovakian People's Army's job in WWIII was to march into the nuclear wasteland that used to be Bavaria and occupy it for... something?

At the heart of the matter I think most Cold War strategists, most of whom had probably fought in WWII, organized large land armies as a matter of habit. Those habits were tempered by the knowledge of how useless large formations of tanks and infantry would be in the next war, but what else could they do? They had to play the game because the reality was so much more horrific.

Edit: OK it wasn't so recent a find, but here

Soviet plan for WW3 nuclear attack unearthed

The 1964 war plan is pretty well documented: http://www.php.isn.ethz.ch/collections/colltopic.cfm?lng=en&id=15365

There were pushes to adapt military formations for the nuclear battlefield from the late fifties onward by means of organization (which didn't work out) as well as adding all kinds of NBC protection to vehicles, equipment etc. (which might have worked out pretty well on the (sub-)unit scale).

The big problem of course is that you rapidly reach a point where massive retaliation leaves you with both nothing to fight for as well as with on the operational-strategic level. Your battalion might well fend of that regimental attack, but after two days there's nothing left to eat, drink, shoot or drive because your static targets in the rear got glassed three times over and the family back home is now dust in the upper atmosphere.

I feel that this is is very much the reason why even those conniving generals of the time have this revisionist undercurrent in their present day understanding of the cold war:

quote:

Jan Hoffenaar
I was wondering if we could conclude from what has been said about
the retaliatory strike by the Warsaw Pact against the first use by NATO,
also on the tactical level, that flexible response was a non-usable strategy
in the end.

Unidentifiable Russian Speaker
Show the white flag then?

Well, the escalation process wouldn’t have worked.

We don’t know that.

Leopold Chalupa
You don’t know that. I could say it has worked, because we had an end
to the Cold War without a Hot War. So my friends here will agree with
me that I have to convince them that it worked, because why then has
everything changed on your side while we have remained the same? We
did not want to fight a war. We wanted to prevent a war. This was our
task and our mission, and I feel we were successful.

Jan Hoffenaar
This was a provocative question.

Robert Legvold
Listen folks, listen. Bill you’ve got a very short rejoinder…

William Odom
Concerning this question of, what do you do if you have to fire the
weapon? I understand all your political arguments about deterrence, but
I want to shoot at tactical forces. I think the Soviet approach was much
more sensible than ours. You see, this attitude I ran into in the American
system is insane. Do you want to leave the president with no choice
but to blow up half the world? No, if he has to fire, let’s have him fire at
something that will have a military effect. This is not a firecracker for the
4th of July or for celebration. You want to be serious with it. So there is a
clash of intellectual perspectives on this that’s been missed, and I realise
there is tension between Europe and the US on this, but there is also a
tension within the US as to what the Strategic Air Command would do
and what maybe we wanted to achieve operationally.

Vitalii Tsygichko
When you consider such situations, please keep in mind that, although
we planned operations with the use of nuclear weapons in case of a first
strike from the West, nobody seriously believed that such a war could
take place. It was like a confrontation, a struggle of ideas, and a kind of
intellectual competition, because everybody knew what would happen if
such actions were undertaken in reality. There were “hawks” on all sides,
but the common sense of many people helped to avoid a serious conflict
in Europe. The reason why it did not occur was not just because you
planned for retaliation, and because we were afraid of such retaliation,
but also due to an awareness of the dangerous consequences of such a
conflict. This was also a kind of a containment factor, the same as in the
nuclear strategic forces.

MILITARY PLANNING FOR EUROPEAN THEATRE CONFLICT DURING THE COLD WAR (pp. 164-166)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

iyaayas01 posted:

Yup, all of the above. Three things to point out: when you are talking about large Cold War in Europe type military targets, 500-700 CEP is more than accurate enough to target a facility like an airbase or port. No, you can't expect to fire three missiles and simultaneously destroy the command post, POL tank farm, and intersection of the runways, but if you bombard a normal sized air base with those the base is going to have a bad day.

As far as being vulnerable, remember this is the Cold War going hot we are talking about here...relatively cheap FROG launchers being considered expendable wouldn't have been much more than a drop in the bucket considering the damage they could do fired in any sort of significant number.

And regarding terrorizing civilians, if the Soviets came through the Fulda Gap it's not like the German populace would've just stood still and remained calm. The more terror the Soviets could strike into the civilian populace the more they could hinder NATO operations to stop the advance.

The thing I had in my mind was that with a range of 50 miles, the launcher would have to get pretty close to and airfield in order to fire on it. A ground attack aircraft can cover 50 miles in what, 8 minutes? It seems that for a launcher to get within range they would have to go into a relatively small circle of territory around the target that can be easily patrolled from the air, especially if the target is an air field. Plus since it's a giant rocket, you would need at least a few of them together to put up an effective barrage, and a bunch of those launch vehicles moving down a road isn't exactly inconspicious.

Although now reading about the success rate of allied air patrols against Iraqi Scud launchers, maybe I'm overestimating how effective western air power would really have been, especially since this would have been in the 1970s instead of the 1990s and not over uncontested desert airspace.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 21, 2012

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It would have been very hard or impossible for Frog-7s to seriously endanger long range tactical fighters and bombers, but 50 mile ranges are plenty enough to put the following in danger:

FARPs (seriously, rotors can't fly very far even today)
Communication nodes
Fuel/Ammo supply points
C3 nodes
Firebases

and probably a lot more very important stuff I'm forgetting.

Even if you engaged in a risky move to move a bunch of frogs to within a major tac-air airbase, the benefit of shutting down such a base would be huge compared to the risk of losing 10-ish Frog launchers.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
It's also worth remembering that the Soviet Union invested heavily in mobile AAA and SAM systems that could advance with their manuver forces. Any ground attack aircraft would be operating in an extremely non-permissive environment.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's also worth remembering that the Soviet Union invested heavily in mobile AAA and SAM systems that could advance with their manuver forces. Any ground attack aircraft would be operating in an extremely non-permissive environment.

Rotary wing might be able to sneak in.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Flikken posted:

Rotary wing might be able to sneak in.

To do what exactly? And there's 12.7 and 14.5 errwhere.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Koesj posted:

To do what exactly? And there's 12.7 and 14.5 errwhere.

Stay at tree top or below and hit the launchers with hellfires or TOWs. it would probably be brutal

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
That's just stupid but the whole discussion about FROGs hitting tacair is anyway, we're talking about priority one static targets.

durtan
Feb 21, 2006
Whoooaaaa
Found this in the AI airplane thread.

A pilot's manual to the SR-71 Blackbird

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Sukhoi is biiig

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Just pretty image

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

durtan posted:

Found this in the AI airplane thread.

A pilot's manual to the SR-71 Blackbird

This aircraft is such a beast. I'm getting a real kick out of reading normal procedures. "Fuel required for a missed approach and instrument go-around (typical GCA pattern) is approximately 3000 pounds. A closed pattern go-around requires approximately 1000 pounds." This thing burns more gas doing go-arounds than many GA planes weigh. Almost its entire flight profile is spent in afterburner of some flavor.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

AntiTank posted:

Sukhoi is biiig

Is that a gold plated Flanker? Saddam had nothing on that.

durtan
Feb 21, 2006
Whoooaaaa

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

This aircraft is such a beast. I'm getting a real kick out of reading normal procedures. "Fuel required for a missed approach and instrument go-around (typical GCA pattern) is approximately 3000 pounds. A closed pattern go-around requires approximately 1000 pounds." This thing burns more gas doing go-arounds than many GA planes weigh. Almost its entire flight profile is spent in afterburner of some flavor.

A 180 degree turn takes 8 minutes to complete and will cover about 235 miles at full-speed/altitude flight profiles.

Like driving a dump truck at Mach 3.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

durtan posted:

A 180 degree turn takes 8 minutes to complete and will cover about 235 miles at full-speed/altitude flight profiles.

Like driving a dump truck at Mach 3.

I love the story of one Blackbird pilot told about a mission over Libya: They had to outrun some missile so the accelerated to mach 3+. Then they headed back to Sicily before turning west to meet up with their tanker which was waiting over Gibraltar. They started to throttle back over Sicily and still overshot the tanker. Conclusion: The Blackbird has a braking distance measured in continents.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

ought ten posted:

Is that a gold plated Flanker? Saddam had nothing on that.

probably just unpainted, except for maybe the radome.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Alpine Mustache posted:

probably just unpainted, except for maybe the radome.

Radome paint is different from the rest of the paint, it's not stripped or applied at the same time. I can't tell if that one's painted or not.

Edit: But yes, the rest of the aircraft is unpainted.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Godholio posted:

Edit: But yes, the rest of the aircraft is unpainted.

It's unpainted, but is the *whole damned thing* cad-plated?

durtan
Feb 21, 2006
Whoooaaaa
This is a bit excessive, in my opinion.

Wikipedia posted:

The Gryazev-Shipunov GSh-6-30 (Russian: Грязев-Шипунов ГШ-6-30) is a Russian 30 mm Gatling-style aircraft-mounted machine gun used by Soviet and later CIS military aircraft. The GSh-6-30 fires a 30×165 mm, 390 g (13¾ oz) projectile.

The GSh-6-30, designed in the early 1970s and entering service in 1975, has a six barrel design that is similar to the Gryazev-Shipunov GSh-6-23. It was based on the naval AO-18 used in the AK-630 system. Unlike most modern American rotary cannons, it is gas-operated rather than electric, allowing it to "spin up" to maximum rate of fire more quickly, allowing more rounds to be placed on target in a short-duration burst. Ignition is electrical, as with the smaller GSh-6-23.

On the Mikoyan MiG-27 the Gsh-6-30 had to be mounted obliquely to absorb recoil (5,500 kg). The gun was noted for its high (often uncomfortable) vibration and extreme noise. The airframe vibration led to fatigue cracks in fuel tanks, numerous radio and avionics failures, the necessity of using runways with floodlights for night flights (as the landing lights would often be destroyed), tearing or jamming of the forward landing gear doors (leading to at least three crash landings), cracking of the reflector gunsight, an accidental jettisoning of the cockpit canopy and at least one case of the instrument panel falling off in flight. The number of fragments from detonating shells was sufficient to damage aircraft firing (or flying) within 200 metres of the impact area.

The principal application for the GSh-6-30 is the MiG-27 "Flogger", which carries the weapon in a gondola under the fuselage, primarily for strafing and ground attack. It was fitted to some Su-25TM aircraft, but subsequently replaced with the GSh-30-2 twin-barreled cannon of the original Su-25. It is also used as the gun component of the CADS-N-1 Kashtan air defense weapon.

Unfortunately, that is the entire article from Wiki. I also found out about this ridiculous thing here if anyone is interested in an analysis on how many guns you'd need to strap onto a board in order to raise a person up into the air.

durtan fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 23, 2012

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
:toot: Canadian Gov't seeking alternatives to troubled F-35 fighter jet, sources say:toot:

Nothing concrete yet but it's nice they're putting some feelers out there to at least make it look somewhat like a competition.

Personally I want F-15SEs but those aren't even flying yet (I think?) so I doubt it. If it isn't the F-35 dollars to donuts it'll be the SuperHornet.

eehhh who am I kidding, they're gonna still buy the F-35 anyway and we'll get soaked :negative:

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

This is the moment the Arrow's been waiting for! :haw:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

priznat posted:

:toot: Canadian Gov't seeking alternatives to troubled F-35 fighter jet, sources say:toot:

Nothing concrete yet but it's nice they're putting some feelers out there to at least make it look somewhat like a competition.

Personally I want F-15SEs but those aren't even flying yet (I think?) so I doubt it. If it isn't the F-35 dollars to donuts it'll be the SuperHornet.

eehhh who am I kidding, they're gonna still buy the F-35 anyway and we'll get soaked :negative:

Boeing is going full speed ahead with the SE project. There is a demonstrator flying (the airframe is actually the first F-15E built; McD and now Boeing have used it as a testbed demonstrator type aircraft all these years). Boeing has done pretty extensive RCS tests/evaluations on it, and it's demonstrated the ability to launch an AMRAAM from the internal bay in the CFTs. Boeing is pushing pretty hard to win the ROK's F-X III program, already getting export approval for the LO and EW pieces of the project and going in with KAI to develop the conformal weapons bays.

That said I think the Super Bug is probably a more realistic alternative here, although in all honesty this is just a gambit by the Canadian government to put LockMart on notice and to try and wrangle some more gimmees out of them.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Go Su-35! :ohdear:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The VF-11 Thunderbolt has just as much chance as any Russian fighter ;)

Good to hear the F-15SE is coming along, although yeah it'd be unlikely to get picked over the SuperHornet I'd imagine.

There should be a splurge of completely clueless political commentators weighing in on the whole thing, should be amusing.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

iyaayas01 posted:

Boeing is going full speed ahead with the SE project. There is a demonstrator flying (the airframe is actually the first F-15E built; McD and now Boeing have used it as a testbed demonstrator type aircraft all these years). Boeing has done pretty extensive RCS tests/evaluations on it, and it's demonstrated the ability to launch an AMRAAM from the internal bay in the CFTs. Boeing is pushing pretty hard to win the ROK's F-X III program, already getting export approval for the LO and EW pieces of the project and going in with KAI to develop the conformal weapons bays.

That said I think the Super Bug is probably a more realistic alternative here, although in all honesty this is just a gambit by the Canadian government to put LockMart on notice and to try and wrangle some more gimmees out of them.

What are the chances that the US gets some Silent Eagles?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Flikken posted:

What are the chances that the US gets some Silent Eagles?

Zero. The USAF has committed full bore to the JSF, and the USAF is the single largest purchaser of airframes, so if they dropped the buy numbers in favor of buying some other type of new buy jets the financial and therefore subsequent political ramifications would be so huge that the program might collapse on itself (I'm only slightly exaggerating...in all seriousness a decision by the USAF to cut the buy in favor of also buying something else could very well be the last straw for some of the wavering countries that are just looking for an excuse to get out of the program but who don't want to be the first guy out.) The Navy has been making rumblings about possibly going with more (and possibly upgraded) Super Bugs instead of the JSF, but the Navy is buying even fewer airframes than the Marines (and less than the U.K. and Italy combined). Them pulling that poo poo isn't that big of a deal, and even that is a pretty slim possibility. There is no way in hell LockMart's stooges in the OSD and JSF Program Office would let the USAF pull something like that, even if the USAF wanted to (they don't).

Incidentally, that is why the USAF is going with a SLEP for its legacy F-16s because putting chewing gum and duct tape on old fighters that are getting older is the only politically acceptable way to fill the gap that is being left by F-35 delays (buying new iron could possibly cut into total F-35 buy numbers, and we can't have that.)

e: And I wish I was being facetious or sarcastic or something with this, but that is all pretty much just the honest truth. The USAF leadership can cloak it in "fifth generation" happy bullshit bingo talk all they want, but the fact of the matter is that we are buying the F-35 just as much, if not more so, to be a day 30 permissive airspace bomb truck. Look at the fighter roadmap, the plan by 2040 is to have nothing but whatever Raptors we still have, a couple of Golden Eagles and Mud Hens that are held together with chewing gum and a lot of hard working maintainers, and a shitload of F-35s (I don't necessarily think that's what's actually going to happen, but that's the plan.) If that's the plan, by default the F-35s are going to be flying permissive airspace bomb truck missions, where all that vaunted "fifth generation" LO bullshit is just going to be gold plating. There is absolutely no operational reason why the USAF couldn't instead buy some new build legacy fighters (Block 60 Vipers, F-15SG or K, invest in the SE project, I don't care) both as a hedge against the F-35 and as a way of lowering operating costs over the long term when we do permissive airspace operations, but that would take away from the precious F-35 and Lockheed has a long and sordid history of making sure they have greased the right palms to get their way...that hasn't changed with the JSF, they have just been more subtle about it this time.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 24, 2012

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

BoBtheImpaler
Oct 11, 2002
Dinosaur Gum
Dunno how obscure this is, but I just found out about the BLU-114/B.

Used against power facilities, the submunitions spread extremely thin graphite filaments which short-circuits the equipment it hits. Very little risk out collateral damage outside of starting a fire.

This sort of non-standard weapon is pretty rad, are there any other examples? I saw mention of a "Kit-2 Tomahawk," but I can't find any reference to it outside of the Wikipedia article.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Well, I don't know how non-standard you consider this, but the allies routinely flew formations ahead of big bomber raids that blanketed the air above German radar installations in clouds of aluminum foil strips to gently caress up the radar read on how many planes were coming in behind them, speed, altitude, direction, etc. Basically they wanted to cock up the Germans abilities to efficiently dispatch interceptors.

It was just an early version of chaff, but was used on a huge scale.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

What is going on here? Was this something dreamt up on the spot for a Harrier with stuck landing gear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Frozen Horse posted:

What is going on here? Was this something dreamt up on the spot for a Harrier with stuck landing gear?

Yup. As I recall it sucked the springs and all kinds of poo poo into the engines and did more damage than if they'd just landed it without the gear.