Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've heard people talking about it in between bouts of being called a Mexican during GTCC races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I think this was mentioned before, but I thought it deserved posting. James May beating Gordon Ramsay at being a chef and eating inedible food:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwPmLwW1-PA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xhfJRdwHnU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

davebo posted:

Out of curiosity since it's a car-related tv show, does anyone else here watch Canada's Worst Driver?
We had a general car TV thread a few months back where it was discussed. There is a new season - they sent an entire team of people to Alberta this time to evaluate drivers because apparently the majority of their submissions (and majority of finalists) come from there.

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I think this was mentioned before, but I thought it deserved posting. James May beating Gordon Ramsay at being a chef and eating inedible food:

It's easy to miss, but James is the most hardass of the three.

KillerKatten
Oct 26, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

We had a general car TV thread a few months back where it was discussed. There is a new season - they sent an entire team of people to Alberta this time to evaluate drivers because apparently the majority of their submissions (and majority of finalists) come from there.

Canadas Worst Driver is great, especially when compared to the American version which also got an "Americanizing" like TGUS did, with much much worse results. Seriously, try to watch that show. Its horrible.

Now the best version of xxxx's Worst Driver I've found 'til now is Swedens version. Mainly because they allways drive a manual and have challenges designed around this, with all the hillarity that ensues from that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbfsB2_jWGc

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Frankly xxxx Worst Drivers is always loving appalling TV crap at it's worst gently caress that poo poo, gimme TG re-runs anyday

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Canada's WD is pretty good as they genuinely try to help the people become better/less dangerous drivers through valid advice and professional guidance. It's interesting to watch too because most drivers have distinct personalities that in some way inhibit their driving, and (most) try to overcome this during the course of the season. If nothing else works, you can still laugh at how horribly people manage to gently caress up the basic things like reversing, turning, or going straight.

There's also the Dutch version where a contestant took out a host and/or crew during one of the challenges.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvckBJP8QPU
Rather predictively, I have to say, once you see how optimistic the producers were regarding the drivers' abilities in setting up the course layout. Also the lady in the back seat wasn't wearing her seatbelt :mad:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What was the point of what they were doing? Maybe things are weird in the Netherlands but none of what happened on that video made any sense to me even with the subtitles. Some kind of challenge where a guy drives at a wall, then he looks behind for no reason, realizes he will hit the wall and then steers off towards the crew. Why were the crew standing anywhere near where they could be hit? That guy might be a bad driver, but that just seems like an entire show of "worst every profession ever."

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

Read the friggin rulebook before you build your "racecar", stupid ricer.

Cojawfee posted:

What was the point of what they were doing? Maybe things are weird in the Netherlands but none of what happened on that video made any sense to me even with the subtitles. Some kind of challenge where a guy drives at a wall, then he looks behind for no reason, realizes he will hit the wall and then steers off towards the crew.

From the Canadian version I recognize that challenge as:
-do a set speed
-shoulder check both sides
-do an avoidance maneuver to whichever side the signs said to.

If they speed, or can't do a shoulder check w/o turning the wheel, or just are generally crappy drivers then they won't make it.

Cojawfee posted:

Why were the crew standing anywhere near where they could be hit? That guy might be a bad driver, but that just seems like an entire show of "worst every profession ever."

Optimism.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

davebo posted:

Out of curiosity since it's a car-related tv show, does anyone else here watch Canada's Worst Driver?

I don't normally watch it, but one of the guys on this season, Azim, works for the same company as I do, and has a desk about 30 feet away from me. Everyone that was on this season hates Klyne.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

neckbeard posted:

I don't normally watch it, but one of the guys on this season, Azim, works for the same company as I do, and has a desk about 30 feet away from me. Everyone that was on this season hates Klyne.

Yeah he seems like a real dick, but not quite as bad as that other "teen with an attitude just here to prove the way he drives is fine and won't change" they had several seasons ago. It's like having punky dicks on the real world. You're just never gonna top Puck.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Azim seems like a cool dude at least. I'm always happy when he does stuff right.

superv0zz
Jun 24, 2006

Touch it.

davebo posted:

Yeah he seems like a real dick, but not quite as bad as that other "teen with an attitude just here to prove the way he drives is fine and won't change" they had several seasons ago.

They just kicked that kid off didn't they? Because they knew he wasn't trying to get better and was just doing it for the attention.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Saw the new 'Worst Car in the History of the World' video today. Pretty good, a lot less fluff than their usual direct-to-dvd specials. Needed more Pontiak Aztek though, but I'm happy with their selection of worst car all things considered Lexus SC 430

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

neckbeard posted:

Saw the new 'Worst Car in the History of the World' video today. Pretty good, a lot less fluff than their usual direct-to-dvd specials. Needed more Pontiak Aztek though, but I'm happy with their selection of worst car all things considered Lexus SC 430

Can't say I'm surprised, they had already deemed it as such in a review on one of the early TG series. My mom (who has a crush on James) is gonna be disappointed, though; she drives one.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

neckbeard posted:

Yup it was a fun watch for sure. First time they had the FT-86 also, wonder if they'll have it on the regular show. Not too surprised Clarkson loved it.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Doesn't seem like the DVD it's available in a retail store locally in Canukastan yet.

Edit: Or even Amazon.ca. Hrmph.

SpannerX fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Nov 22, 2012

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
that was actually one of the better dvds they've done in years. It was a little jarring how often they had a stunt driver doing the slides though, the windows in a lot of shots were blurred in post.

E: The ending was brilliant

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 22, 2012

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

GrantC posted:

From the Canadian version I recognize that challenge as:
-do a set speed
-shoulder check both sides
-do an avoidance maneuver to whichever side the signs said to.

If they speed, or can't do a shoulder check w/o turning the wheel, or just are generally crappy drivers then they won't make it.
The guy driving was utterly incompetent. Throughout the series he'd panic and put his hands in front of his eyes when things weren't even close to going wrong. On top of that he'd put his foot down hard, usually on the accelerator, but if he was lucky he'd also stomp the clutch.
Suffice to say the guy was crowned the worst driver and his license was cut in half. Though in my opinion an 'article 130' procedure was well deserved, that guy is mentally incapable of driving any vehicle at any speed.

But yeah, the general idea of the test was to go at 70km/h, check left and right over the shoulders, pick the side without the no-entry sign and swerve past the wall, or stop in front of the wall if both sides had a no-entry sign.
The wall itself is obviously styrofoam, he could just have ploughed through it like he did every single time before.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

grover posted:

Coupay = coupe
"Coupé", meaning "cut" in French.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I hate it when I hear someone say "Coop" instead of coupé. A coop is where you keep chickens.

Check out my mad coop, bro!

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 23, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Gorilla Salad posted:

I hate it when I hear someone say "Coop" instead of coupé. A coop is where you keep chickens.

The 'k' makes him look like he has the raddest mustache, as befitting the driver of a coop.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

"chicken trucker"

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
What other cars do they drive on the special?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

OptimusMatrix posted:

They "compare" a BMW M5 to a 70s Lincoln Continental Mark IV and Buick Le Sabre

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

OptimusMatrix posted:

Some they actually liked: Ferrari 458 Spider, Lexus LFA, Toyota GT-86

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
That was enjoyable, though I was really expecting something Korean. I don't think they had a single Korean car on the program, did they?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
They briefly discussed the Hyundai Accent but it didn't actually appear.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's because most lovely Korean cars are at the same time at least not pretentious. That Hyundai Accident was by all accounts awful, but it was also one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest new car available. And they got this covered at the beginning with the Polonez and the Jeep knockoff.

The Lexus... wanted to be a better Merc SL, failed terribly in every way and was still expensive as hell.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

mobby_6kl posted:

That's because most lovely Korean cars are at the same time at least not pretentious. That Hyundai Accident was by all accounts awful, but it was also one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest new car available. And they got this covered at the beginning with the Polonez and the Jeep knockoff.

The Lexus... wanted to be a better Merc SL, failed terribly in every way and was still expensive as hell.
Yeah, they said if the BMW X3 was made by a Korean manufacturer, it wouldn't be in the running for worst car ever. Of course, it would also have been a lot cheaper.

Blue Kazoo
Feb 24, 2006
Pretty interesting to see Clarkson's about-face on the LFA. When it was first on Top Gear he seemed pretty dismissive of it and just wrote it off because of the (admittedly ridiculous) price. Sounds like he actually respects it quite a bit now though.

Hermansen
Sep 2, 2006

Breaker, Breaker,
High Ball, Ten Ten,
Till We Do It Again,
Captain Slow.
I'm a bit dissapointed with the DVD, I thought it would be an hour of James and Jeremy going about in truly horrible cars.
Mostly because that's usually the funniest bits they do.
They started out well with the Polonez and the Jeep thingy, but then it all went horribly wrong.

How can they possibly name that the worst car in the world ever, when there was clearly worse cars even in the show itself.

Now imagine you're Hammond. You wake up, and find your car has been replaced with something else.

Would you be most upset over seeing:
A) 2005 Hyundai Accident 1.3 (3 cyl) Diesel.
or
B) 200? Lexus SC430?

The conclusion was stupid, and way to obvious.

I wanted more old commie cars, Citroëns, pacific rimmers, horrible EVs.
The trailer looked so good, then we got a totally different show all together.

But I did laugh a bit, so it wasn't all wrong, just not what I expected.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Plus we already know that the car they all despise more than any other is quite rightly the VW Beetle.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I enjoyed the DVD. Seemed put together well and the commentary was pretty funny. I also laughed my rear end off when I saw an SC430 Neiman Marcus edition in my friends' parents garage over the weekend.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Sweevo posted:

Plus we already know that the car they all despise more than any other is quite rightly the VW Beetle.

Yeah I was waiting for the Beetle to at least make an appearance.

I'm sorry, when I think 'worst car in the world' I don't think of Ferraris, so no matter how much they try, I can't be convinced it's even remotely in contention. The SC430 at least still has 300 horsepower, despite being terrible in every other way.

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,
Don't Hurt Em :(
I was kinda hoping they would find some sort of 1904 steam car that exploded on every turn, but I guess top gear doesn't really do old cars.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I enjoyed this special, it had some really great lines like "It's a sixties Ford, you can start it with a teaspoon" then they really started it with a teaspoon. And you can't say the Beetle is the worst car in the world. It's stupid, but the worst? It made it through the Africa challenge without a hitch and until recently was still made in South America. As an affordable car, it's great.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Scottw330 posted:

I was kinda hoping they would find some sort of 1904 steam car that exploded on every turn, but I guess top gear doesn't really do old cars.

Yeah, but in 1904 people didn't exactly know what they were doing. Ferrari/Peugeot/Lancia etc. do or at least should.

And they did that rather great "Where/when did cars get things right?" thing where James and Jeremy drove the De Dijon and Model T and other old rear end thing. James and Jeremy together do some pretty good segments. Like this DVD.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

angryhampster posted:

I enjoyed the DVD. Seemed put together well and the commentary was pretty funny. I also laughed my rear end off when I saw an SC430 Neiman Marcus edition in my friends' parents garage over the weekend.

Looked it up - those things were $70,000 when they were new...

CornHolio posted:

I'm sorry, when I think 'worst car in the world' I don't think of Ferraris, so no matter how much they try, I can't be convinced it's even remotely in contention. The SC430 at least still has 300 horsepower, despite being terrible in every other way.

I don't think it would have been a good marketable title; but "The Worst Vehicles Made by Company X" would have been more appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
My sister had a 97 SC400 for a few years, and it wasn't terrible. I think it was helped that it wasn't a convertible, so you could actually fit 4 people in the car. She bought it used though, so it probably wasn't as bad as buying it new. It was a fun car to drive. Though to be fair, my options at the time were that, a Lexus ES300, and a Crown Victoria. I would nominate Crown Victoria for one of the best cars of all time.