Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978
I know your pain. The DNA was my compromise. Having now had it for almost a day, I can definitely say that the battery life is going to be an issue. The storage, not as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005

Psimitry posted:

I know your pain. The DNA was my compromise. Having now had it for almost a day, I can definitely say that the battery life is going to be an issue. The storage, not as much.

What are your experiences with the battery and such?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

One of these might help with that. I just ordered on in hopes that it will help when I forget to charge my Gnex before a busy day.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Cbear posted:

What are your experiences with the battery and such?

poo poo. Just wrote a whole summary on my usage patterns and a basic review of the phone. And then of course, my partially drunk-rear end closed the window instead of hitting the submit button.

Bottom line: It will work for me because nearly everywhere I go I have an available charger. And for places that I don't plan, I keep a spare charger in my car (gotta love Amazon and their $5 chargers that work well).

If I didn't have that, experience thus far has shown that it would be a problem, minus the caveat that since the phone is so new (I've only had it for about 18 hours), I'm doing things with it that I wouldn't otherwise do on a phone (watch movie, download EVERYTHING, surf like crazy, install tons of apps) that negatively impact battery life GREATLY.

Edit: One thing that did annoy me a touch: The Rezound came with the Beats earbuds. The DNA doesn't. Now, I don't think they sound particularly good, but I do like the anti-tangle aspect of the cord. And really, why bother to put the logo on the phone otherwise?

Psimitry fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 22, 2012

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
The phone is so good now that it can turn any headset/buds into one with beats? because it's basically just an EQ setting :v:

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

DaNzA posted:

The phone is so good now that it can turn any headset/buds into one with beats? because it's basically just an EQ setting :v:

It's great when I sell phones to people who believe this because you can sell them the most ridiculously overpriced accessories on the basis that they know absolutely nothing about anything. They're gullible commission goldmines.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

One interesting thing I just noticed about the DNA - I was worried that it wouldn't fit into my pocket as conveniently as my incredible would. But it turns out that it fits better. It feels a bit slimmer than the incredible and lighter as well.

Xenin
Nov 5, 2004
I'm seeing all these deals for $50 Samsung GS3s for sprint and AT&T but none for verizon. Is the GS3 even an option on this carrier?

Edit: I see now that Amazon sells the GS3 for verizon. For Black Friday it's $60 when you add a new line and $125 when you use your upgrade. Why would they do this? The other deals don't differentiate between upgrades and new lines. This is really unfair to Verizon customers.

Xenin fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Nov 23, 2012

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Xenin posted:

I'm seeing all these deals for $50 Samsung GS3s for sprint and AT&T but none for verizon. Is the GS3 even an option on this carrier?

Edit: I see now that Amazon sells the GS3 for verizon. For Black Friday it's $60 when you add a new line and $125 when you use your upgrade. Why would they do this? The other deals don't differentiate between upgrades and new lines. This is really unfair to Verizon customers.

Because its big red. They have the biggest LTE network and a premium on fast data. Simply put, They are the furthest along with 4g deployment and you pay a premium for it.

figgs
Oct 27, 2007
Alright... I'm tied between a S3 and iPhone 5. I've had an Android phone for three years now and I'm really getting tired of all these boring apps. Apple's apps (especially GAMES) look a lot more appealing to me. Also I'll finally be able to use iMessage with all of my other Apple friends. On the flip side, I lose all the hacking/customization I got to do with my Android phone. What do you guys have to say about this?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Dakrikokoko posted:

Alright... I'm tied between a S3 and iPhone 5. I've had an Android phone for three years now and I'm really getting tired of all these boring apps. Apple's apps (especially GAMES) look a lot more appealing to me. Also I'll finally be able to use iMessage with all of my other Apple friends. On the flip side, I lose all the hacking/customization I got to do with my Android phone. What do you guys have to say about this?

It's a boring non-customizable device with very little lasting appeal imo. We have an iphone in all our T-mobile stores and when you hold it up against even something like the galaxy 3, which I find to be a boring droid device, it just doesn't stack up in terms of what you can do with it. I don't want to re-kindle a debate about which is better and it really is apples and oranges to some extent, but I just don't see any real reason to switch if you're already on an S3.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Dakrikokoko posted:

On the flip side, I lose all the hacking/customization I got to do with my Android phone. What do you guys have to say about this?
If you enjoy modifying and tweaking your phone to make it look and work exactly how you want it to then an iPhone will be extremely frustrating. iPhones are setup the way Apple thinks they should be setup and your only modification options are to change the wallpaper, ring tones, and the order the icons appear on the screen.

My employer gave me an iPhone which I used for almost a year and I couldn't stand the thing. In the end I decided an Android phone that I had to pay for was better than a free iPhone.

If I didn't like playing around with gadgets and just wanted a phone then the iPhone would have been fine. Except for the keyboard/auto correct. Even my self admitted Apple fanboy boss will admit that the iOS auto correct is loving awful.

figgs
Oct 27, 2007

On Terra Firma posted:

It's a boring non-customizable device with very little lasting appeal imo. We have an iphone in all our T-mobile stores and when you hold it up against even something like the galaxy 3, which I find to be a boring droid device, it just doesn't stack up in terms of what you can do with it. I don't want to re-kindle a debate about which is better and it really is apples and oranges to some extent, but I just don't see any real reason to switch if you're already on an S3.

Galler posted:

If you enjoy modifying and tweaking your phone to make it look and work exactly how you want it to then an iPhone will be extremely frustrating. iPhones are setup the way Apple thinks they should be setup and your only modification options are to change the wallpaper, ring tones, and the order the icons appear on the screen.

Thanks for the input guys. Well I just passed by Costco a little bit earlier today and found that S3s were going for $55 for an upgrade (after a $100 MIR + tax) so I pulled the trigger.

Ironically one of my friends said he's sick of iPhones after using them since the first one came out (he has the iPhone 5 now) and considered switching over to 'the dark side.'

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

My wife and I just switched from Sprint to Verizon on Wednesday, and we're having the weirdest error on her phone. She's just not receiving like half of the texts that get sent to her. When I send her a text, she receives it. However, we have automatic text messages from our XFinity Home Security that I'm receiving with no problem but she isn't getting at all.

She took it to a store today to try and get some help and they said that maybe the port didn't "finish", but after spending an hour with it they couldn't figure it out. Has anyone else ever heard of this issue before?

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.

mesc posted:

She took it to a store today to try and get some help and they said that maybe the port didn't "finish", but after spending an hour with it they couldn't figure it out. Has anyone else ever heard of this issue before?
I had a similar issue when I switched to Sprint from Verizon 5 years ago. It took another 48 hours to work the porting kinks out and then all was right in the world.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Jeratain posted:

I had a similar issue when I switched to Sprint from Verizon 5 years ago. It took another 48 hours to work the porting kinks out and then all was right in the world.

Thanks, we'll take some xanax and chill out for the next few days before trying to take it back for a new phone or something.

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004
I think my folks are looking to switch to Verizon sometime this weekend. What would be the best Android phone to buy for approximately $0? It only needs to do three things -> 1. Access the internet at a reasonable speed; 2. Run AnkiMobile [Flashcard program]; 3. Decent battery. Is the Samsung Galaxy Nexus any good?

CerebralDonut fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 24, 2012

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Not for battery life. Get a RAZR M.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

kbar posted:

Not for battery life. Get a RAZR M.

This, but it IS $99. The free Galaxy Nexus and OG RAZR are both solid phones but the battery life isn't stellar on either. The M is fantastic.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

pbpancho posted:

This, but it IS $99. The free Galaxy Nexus and OG RAZR are both solid phones but the battery life isn't stellar on either. The M is fantastic.

It's a penny on Amazon right now.

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004

On Terra Firma posted:

It's a penny on Amazon right now.

Awesome idea. I will get the RAZR M then. Thanks guys!

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So I need two smartphones and a family plan, and think I am going to order today while the deals are good. Verizon is my only carrier choice. I am looking at the S3 ($60 on amazon today), the MAXX HD ($150 on amazon today), or potentially the DNA ($200, no discount). Convince me which one to go for.

I am kind of leaning MAXX HD at the moment, because battery. It was kind of unappealing at $300 compared to other phones, but at $150 is tempting. How limiting is the 1 GB of RAM?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Filthy Monkey posted:

I am kind of leaning MAXX HD at the moment, because battery. It was kind of unappealing at $300 compared to other phones, but at $150 is tempting. How limiting is the 1 GB of RAM?

Not limiting in the least. I have yet to see any benefit on the 2GB phones.

Heck, I am playing with a DNA now, and stutters more than my M.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I too haven't noticed anything in the MAXX HD that seems indicative of "not enough RAM."

Also, for what it's worth, the Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus "only" have 1GB, and they'll be getting updates for the foreseeable future even with that amount of memory. The international version of the S3 also has 1GB, unlike the 2GB in the US LTE version.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Filthy Monkey posted:

So I need two smartphones and a family plan, and think I am going to order today while the deals are good. Verizon is my only carrier choice. I am looking at the S3 ($60 on amazon today), the MAXX HD ($150 on amazon today), or potentially the DNA ($200, no discount). Convince me which one to go for.

1GB of RAM is not limiting at all. Out of the three, go for the Maxx HD, but if money is really tight for you, the S3 would also be good.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Reason #109 Why I don't like non-removable batteries, C'est La Vie.

This is a droid 4 BTW....Why its non removable is beyond me. Its just under a sticker and the contracts are screwed down.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 26, 2012

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

If I wanted to upgrade a dumb phone on my account to a smart phone, what's the cheapest data add on available? I have one of the older 700 minute plans with unlimited text, and was thinking of upgrading one of the additional lines to a droid I have sitting doing nothing.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Do you already have a data plan on the account? You talk additional lines and that could change the fees and other bullshit that Verizon does. The lowest tiered data plan they offer that isn't prepaid is 1GB and it changes depending on if it's a shared data plan across the account or just for the phone.

I would personally go with prepaid but that's just me.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
So what's the haps with keyboard smartphones? I used to rock a Droid 3 and am now on a Stratosphere (inferior phone but the 4g makes up for it). I'm not due for an upgrade until a few more months but why do I see so few keyboard phones?

I see the strat 2 just released but the specs are...underwhelming. Any shot of nice, higher end (or at least competent mid-range) keyboard android phones coming out the former part of next year?

I just want a little pocket pc/phone hybrid with a keyboard drat it! The strat fills that void nicely but man I'm getting sick of being stuck on a phone with '08 specs.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

KingSlime posted:

So what's the haps with keyboard smartphones? I used to rock a Droid 3 and am now on a Stratosphere (inferior phone but the 4g makes up for it). I'm not due for an upgrade until a few more months but why do I see so few keyboard phones?

I see the strat 2 just released but the specs are...underwhelming. Any shot of nice, higher end (or at least competent mid-range) keyboard android phones coming out the former part of next year?

I just want a little pocket pc/phone hybrid with a keyboard drat it! The strat fills that void nicely but man I'm getting sick of being stuck on a phone with '08 specs.

Nope, phones with keyboards are out, get with the times gramps. It adds a ton of extra bulk and weight and the vast majority of people are happy enough/happier with an onscreen keyboard.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Plus the onscreen keyboard along with predictive text has gotten much better over the years. I upgraded from a Droid 2 and haven't really missed the keyboard.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Sure, the on screen keyboards have definitely improved over the years and swift is pretty rad, but I still find myself snapping my phone's keyboard out for lengthy messages or browsing the internet. Posting on the forums is not the same with a touch screen keyboard :colbert:

Of course a keyboard is going to add weight and bulk to a phone. You'll find that most users clamoring for nice keyboard phones don't have sleekness or compactness very high on their list of wants. Plus, emulation is amazing with a hardware keyboard (though I hardly ever play anything on my phone to be honest, what with dropping a bunch of cash on a vita).

Sigh, looks like I'll have to sacrifice the incredible comfort of a keyboard, as well as typing speed, for nicer specs when my upgrade rolls around. At least tell me some of you guys can touchscreen type as fast as you could on classic keyboards, that'll help a bit.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

RVProfootballer posted:

Nope, phones with keyboards are out, get with the times gramps. It adds a ton of extra bulk and weight and the vast majority of people are happy enough/happier with an onscreen keyboard.

They also break all the drat time. I can't tell you the number of people that come into T-mobile with broken keyboard phones. It's moving parts that are subject to physical wear and tear in a way screens just aren't.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

KingSlime posted:

Sigh, looks like I'll have to sacrifice the incredible comfort of a keyboard, as well as typing speed, for nicer specs when my upgrade rolls around. At least tell me some of you guys can touchscreen type as fast as you could on classic keyboards, that'll help a bit.
I can type much faster on a predictive touchscreen keyboard than on a tiny hardware keyboard. Most people in this thread will say the same thing.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

KingSlime posted:

I'm about 80% with Swype where I was with a hardware keyboard. The wonderfulness of having the wafer-thin S3 in my pocket far outweighs that 20% for me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

To put it bluntly, the market just isn't there for a high end hardware keyboard phone. The phones cost more to engineer due to more moving parts but they can't charge high end money for them because people don't see them as flagship devices.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Zomodok posted:

Do you already have a data plan on the account? You talk additional lines and that could change the fees and other bullshit that Verizon does. The lowest tiered data plan they offer that isn't prepaid is 1GB and it changes depending on if it's a shared data plan across the account or just for the phone.

I would personally go with prepaid but that's just me.

I have the grandfathered unlimited data on two lines, and two dumb phones. I like them all four being able to connect with no minutes used, so I'm hesitant to migrate the two lines off to any kind of prepaid. (My wife is still under contract for her iphone, and mine is still going as well.) I'll ask at a corporate store, but will not allow any changes.

Thanks!

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

So if I buy the phone at full retail price do I still have to pay the "upgrade" fee?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

god this blows posted:

So if I buy the phone at full retail price do I still have to pay the "upgrade" fee?

No, only on subsidized pricing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

KingSlime posted:

I would love a good keyboard phone but it's just not going to happen. SwiftKey is loving wizard magic though and makes touch screen keyboards very competitive with physical keyboards.

• Locked thread