Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
Fighting the Butterfly definitely prepares you for the other boss in Anor Londo, that's for sure. Once you start dodging lasers and "Pursuers" you get a handle for dodging a homing soul mass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Solo Dark Souls:

I really don't understand how people have a problem with that section. Maybe it's because I played Demons' Souls, so I was used to the whole "don't fatroll" thing. But seriously, I have never died in that section. I've barely even gotten hit, and the only times I have it's just knocked me back into the wall. The closest I've come to dying is the knights jumping around with their swords out, falling off, and the auto-targeting trying to drag me with them.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I always just smacked them with a couple poison arrows.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I really don't understand how people have a problem with that section. Maybe it's because I played Demons' Souls, so I was used to the whole "don't fatroll" thing. But seriously, I have never died in that section. I've barely even gotten hit, and the only times I have it's just knocked me back into the wall. The closest I've come to dying is the knights jumping around with their swords out, falling off, and the auto-targeting trying to drag me with them.
The same reason people don't have troubles with some of the areas you have troubles with. A whole variety of people play Dark Souls and they all have different mindsets and different tactics when it comes to each area. Not everyone is going to have the same ability or the same thought process when approaching an area, so there are bound to be people who don't have trouble with certain spots, and there are bound to be people who do have trouble with certain spots.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Bought the game during the Amazon sale, finally got around to installing the game. Everything works fine until the opening cutscene ends at which point the game crashes. I have DSFix installed. I'm on Windows 7, Intel i5 processor, GTX 560 Ti graphics card. Any ideas?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That gif is mabpwnu which should tell you everything about how he had a problem with that section.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I have died there more often than in any other non-boss place in the game. There is a reason why if you search for "anor londo" auto-complete helpfully suggests "archers".

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Co-op Dark Souls:

What gesture is that?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Paracelsus posted:

What gesture is that?

The Channeler's Trident does it.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Does anyone have any tips for finishing this build to SL 100?

http://mmdks.com/bx1

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
gently caress, all I want to do is kindle my fires so I can fight O and S so I keep getting pooped on by invaders. A sparkly blue one came along and one-shot me :negative:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Huh, I did not expect to be fighting a giant wolf wielding a sword in its mouth. Also, would I be correct assuming that fighting him after ringing the church bell is a bit too early?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Itchy Bear Dong posted:

gently caress, all I want to do is kindle my fires so I can fight O and S so I keep getting pooped on by invaders. A sparkly blue one came along and one-shot me :negative:
Shoulda paid a visit to Oswald?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Genocyber posted:

Huh, I did not expect to be fighting a giant wolf wielding a sword in its mouth. Also, would I be correct assuming that fighting him after ringing the church bell is a bit too early?

I fought him right after finishing the Depths, with no armor and two-handing a Black Knight Sword.

Just run right up into his butt and try to stay behind him, and take the time when he jumps away to drink a flask if you got hit.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I fought him right after finishing the Depths, with no armor and two-handing a Black Knight Sword.

Just run right up into his butt and try to stay behind him, and take the time when he jumps away to drink a flask if you got hit.

And for the full Sif experience, stop hitting him when he has a sliver of life left.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

tractor fanatic posted:

Does anyone have any tips for finishing this build to SL 100?

http://mmdks.com/bx1

For pvp? Scrap it. Way too little vit and the 40 dex spreads your stats way too thinly. I can guess what you are planning, but having the weapons/armor you want to use would be nice. If you are going for a triple school caster http://mmdks.com/bxo

Turncoat Mommy fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 27, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Genocyber posted:

Fight her after the DLC so you can get an extra cutscene.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Genocyber posted:

You are expected to fight him before taking on one of the endgame bosses, technically.

But "expected playthrough" and "Dark Souls" aren't really compatible. :v:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Speaking of, do you guys know of anywhere in the game that Sif is referred to with a gendered pronoun? I thought she was a girl because Sif is a girl in Norse mythology.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Sif is also not a wolf in Norse mythology.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
Sif is a girl because there's girl chants in her song and that's the rule with boss music apparently.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Haha, I was wondering why I was getting slaughtered the moment I stepped into Sif's area, turns out I had accidentally switched to dual-wielding my halberd. :shobon:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Sif is also not a wolf in Norse mythology.

Well yeah but you wouldn't name a girl dog Leroy would you? Or a boy dog Vanessa? I rest my case.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I made a video of my Gaping Dragon fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sguO6aYtp-U

I think it's my favorite boss so far.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Lazy Programming posted:

For pvp? Scrap it. Way too little vit and the 40 dex spreads your stats way too thinly. I can guess what you are planning, but having the weapons/armor you want to use would be nice. If you are going for a triple school caster http://mmdks.com/bxo

Hmm, thanks. Any particular reason for 9 attunement slots? I'm probably going to use Velka's rapier and steal some of those points for dex.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

tractor fanatic posted:

Hmm, thanks. Any particular reason for 9 attunement slots? I'm probably going to use Velka's rapier and steal some of those points for dex.

If you are going for a caster build, you might as well make something that has a ton of variety.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
When you get multiples of the same spell on subsequent playthroughs you can slot them. So twice as many crystal souls spear, or homing crystal soul mass, or those god damned dark sorceries.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Also if you start as a pyromancer and then buy another fireball from Laurentius you can run around with 16 fireballs on your first playthrough.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I decided to restart with a Wanderer build. So far I've been banking most of my souls in to vitality. I'm level 8 in the first bonfire in undeadburg... is that too high?

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

sector_corrector posted:

I decided to restart with a Wanderer build. So far I've been banking most of my souls in to vitality. I'm level 8 in the first bonfire in undeadburg... is that too high?

You're fine.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

What's the general level range for fighting Hunters in Darkroot? If I wandered around there at say.. level 100, would I get invaded frequently?

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Kaubocks posted:

What's the general level range for fighting Hunters in Darkroot? If I wandered around there at say.. level 100, would I get invaded frequently?

Any level you want is good for the forest, but 100 will give you the arena and the dueling hotspots as well.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Kaubocks posted:

You should invade Darkroot instead. As a dickwraith.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I do have a Darkwraith set up to invade around Sen's/Anor Londo but I typically either lose every match or it takes forever for me to connect to someone.

Still, the thrill of the hunt is fun. Like the time I jumped off the rafters in Anor Londo to backstab the guy just as he went through the fog gate. Good times.

Uab
Sep 13, 2007
Hungry
It's super satisfying to lead a random guy through Anor Londo on his first run, including fighting off a darkwraith.

Trivia: if you're standing in front of an unopened mimic and someone else attempts to open the chest, it can chew your head off instead of the other guy's! I guess my "Well! What is it!" gesture in front of the chest wasn't clear enough.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So, Dark Souls has been out for over a year now, has there been anything yet about a sequel?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nope. Maybe we'll hear something next E3. It took 2 and a half years to make Dark Souls after Demon's Souls came out.

It seems like From is being kept busy doing other things. Much of the team worked on Artorias of the Abyss, while the rest were probably on other From projects. The lead designer is being really cagey about a potential sequel, saying that it's in Namco's hands. I may be reading too into it, but he doesn't seem much happier working with Namco than Atlus.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

TheBlandName posted:

Red phantoms can only invade people at 90% of their soul level, not 90%-10. Aside from using better gear (which is very significant) the mechanical advantage lies with the host.

This is pretty old by now, but:
I went fishing for invasions at level 50 in Anor Londo for a while. I got a lot of SL 60-63 Darkwraiths invading me.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
I'm playing around with the dragon greatsword and it's better than I thought. Before I had used it much I had thought of it as a kind of inferior DMG with an annoying stat requirement but with a cool ability, but man is that cool ability amazing. In addition to the usefulness of having a powerful ranged attack, it's also really nice that if you manage to hit with the tip of the sword on an r2 (which is easy to do), you hit with both the wave and the slash, which adds up to a monster attack (the dragon greataxe also does this double hit thing). I'm sunbroing O&S and hitting smough for 1550 and super orns for 1250! Smough goes down in three hits, almost as brutal as sorcery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

HenryEx posted:

This is pretty old by now, but:
I went fishing for invasions at level 50 in Anor Londo for a while. I got a lot of SL 60-63 Darkwraiths invading me.

Huh. That's unusual. I have never once invaded (and killed, I suppose) anyone less than 90% of my soul level. What method did you use to find the invader's soul level?

• Locked thread